KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: TV Series » Obi-Wan Kenobi - The Series

Obi-Wan Kenobi - The Series
Started by: -Pr-

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (21): « First ... « 18 19 [20] 21 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

About Vader vs Obi Wan, I think Sidious worrying about Vader being conflicted was intended by the authors to calm down all the inevitable power levels talks. Kenobi was surely conflicted as well, but Vader commented on him finding his vigor again, and especially after Vader buried him under that pile of rocks, thinking about Leia and what he had to protect gave him the focus and determination to pull him off. If Vader was supposed to be at 100% against his master the authors would have left so many clues that he wasn’t

Old Post Jun 26th, 2022 10:34 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Yeah not everything has to be spelled out.

But Just as others have mentioned, Kenobis progression was rushed. Way too rushed.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2022 10:42 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro
Yeah you're right I forgot Vader was the head of the Empire and defeating him would topple the whole thing, good point. thumb up

Yeah, you're right. Killing the second most powerful man in the Empire totally wouldn't matter at all. Sending Luke with 2 weeks of training against Sidious and Vader? That was totally the right move.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2022 11:53 AM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ozz81

How will you compare this Vader(ep6) to the rebels Vader ? Obviously rebels Vader will be slightly more powerful ?

Old Post Jun 26th, 2022 01:14 PM
Click here to Send ozz81 a Private Message Find more posts by ozz81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by ozz81
How will you compare this Vader(ep6) to the rebels Vader ? Obviously rebels Vader will be slightly more powerful ?

Presumably yeah.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2022 01:31 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

Pulling down the ship and ripping it apart is probably better than anything Rebels Vader did feat-wise.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2022 02:09 PM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Yeah but Rebels Vader was never in that position where he needed to.

That said he took down a Rebel fleet single handed via his Uber force powered piloting skills.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2022 02:16 PM
xPRIMEx

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
That's probably the right answer. Ik people won't like to hear it, but I think kenobi sensing leia and luke was supposed to imply he got in a zone and vader was quite clearly potrayed as not being able to manage himself emotionally vs kenobi(this also happened in episode 5). That being said, it's still a very good feat for kenobi. Even if there's implicit conext involved in him beating hin, beating a supposedly anakin+force user is impressive regardless. Even if he hadn't come back from the pit and beat hi,, fighting vader so well would be very impressive

Agreed, it’s still a great feat for Obi Wan but the episode made it quite clear that Vader wasn’t at 100% IMO.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2022 05:31 PM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Yeah but Rebels Vader was never in that position where he needed to.

That said he took down a Rebel fleet single handed via his Uber force powered piloting skills.

True, no one pushed him as hard as Obi-Wan did. But I gotta say, Kenobi being 2:0 against Vader really takes away from Vader's status as the second baddest mf in the Empire.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2022 06:17 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Psychotron
True, no one pushed him as hard as Obi-Wan did. But I gotta say, Kenobi being 2:0 against Vader really takes away from Vader's status as the second baddest mf in the Empire.

Well technically its 2:1. Vader still stomped him in the third episode. 2:2 if we count ANH.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2022 09:13 PM
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

playa1258 is online now!

Vader never overcomes Kenobi. Hell you can argue he is 0 for 3.

Out maneuvered and crippled the first time, straight up overpowered/out skilled the second time and out maneuvered again the third time.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2022 09:17 PM
Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Huh? You should go back and watch Episode 3 of the show.

Edit: You admitted it yourself on page 11:

Originally posted by playa1258
Obi-wan got ****ing curbstomped.

eek!

Last edited by Darth Thor on Jun 26th, 2022 at 09:23 PM

Old Post Jun 26th, 2022 09:20 PM
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

playa1258 is online now!

Lol I must be drunk or something

Old Post Jun 26th, 2022 09:40 PM
Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by -Pr-
I have zero issue with Kenobi beating Vader. I have no problem with Kenobi being powerful enough to do so either, or the power displayed in the episode. He's Anakin's boogeyman, and it was an opinion held by at least a few people (myself included) that he would only get more powerful after ROTS.

The problem, imo, is that the progression was laughable. Just like the rest of the show, and a lot of the content Disney puts out today in Star Wars or the MCU, it's a bunch of "moments" strung together that don't make a great story. Or one that even makes sense that much.

I was surprised though, how good the actual dialogue was between Anakin and Kenobi in that scene. Six episodes of shaky shite (bar a few exceptions) and then we get one of my favourite moments in Star Wars in ages. The choreography was weird though, I will say that. At moments they used movements and flourishes ripped straight from their previous fights, and in others they were swinging like they were in the sequels. It wasn't bad, imo, just... weird. And you can explain a lot of it away as being an emotional moment etc.

But yeah, it's Obi-Wan. His stock did rise, yes, but I can't say I'm surprised. And I don't think it lowers Vader's at all, because he's not fought anyone on this level before that had that extra element to it. And I don't think Lucas would have any issue with it either.

tbh i found "but the weakness remains" pretty stupid, but otherwise yeah

Old Post Jun 26th, 2022 11:04 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ozz81

Agreed, it’s still a great feat for Obi Wan but the episode made it quite clear that Vader wasn’t at 100% IMO. XPRIMEX

So true that seems quite obvious, I reckon as well sidious stating it as well etc it definitly holds some water.. Because if he was more powerful then vader then Sids will be trying to hunt him down etc but he didnt really bother.. But how much powerful or at what level Obi was operating at seems unclear. Some people on the youtube channels (like star wards theory for eg) reckon he was ROTS level others say slightly more etc.. His force feats tbh didnt seem to crash hot in ep 6 .. Yeah force pushing vader was impressive but im thinking since vader wasnt at full power his protective force barrier wasnt there , maybe when he gets in that conflicted state(as sids stated) his force powers/and powers in general and saber skills decline?
Im thinking this force amp/or powers he got it seems to be evident in other series/episodes in a subtle manner ike for example when Obi fought both savage and maul in the cave seemed like Obi got that temporary sort of amp/ upgrade, even when fighting maul in phantom menace uses the rage amp sort of.. other characters like savage getting the slight force amp against Dooku when he force pushes him away ... Kanan jarus getting the amp to slightly when he gets blinded subduing Maul and others etc.. But i guess its sort of subtle or not so clear or well explained in the series if that makes sense ..

Old Post Jun 26th, 2022 11:30 PM
Click here to Send ozz81 a Private Message Find more posts by ozz81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

Kenobi was back to his former self in the first half of the fight, then became more powerful after getting crushed by the rocks and motivated by Leia/Luke.

So Kenobi before getting crushed=ROTS Kenobi
Leia/Luke motivated Kenobi>ROTS Kenobi

Old Post Jun 27th, 2022 12:14 AM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

So Deborah Chow pretty much confirmed that Vader was conflicted:

"Actually, if we were going to use the Vader theme, I don't think we should use it until episode six, because he's still half Anakin, half Vader at this point. When his mask cracks open at the end, and he says 'You didn't kill Anakin Skywalker. I did,' you realize now he's Vader, now he's earned his 'Imperial March'. Now when you hear it, it's so powerful.”

Old Post Jun 27th, 2022 04:41 AM
ozz81

^^ Wow cool.. that pretty much explains it! Did she state that recently ?

Old Post Jun 27th, 2022 06:14 AM
Darth Thor

Not sure that confirms anything about being conflicted tbh.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2022 07:01 AM
ozz81

Also another thing not that I’m down playing Obi but In ep6 i noticed his light saber moves weren’t as fluent : he made some clumsy moves I noticed: not as fluent and fast as in ROTS etc .. but nonetheless did well and got his way around etc ..

Old Post Jun 27th, 2022 09:49 AM