KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » No. All cultures are not equal.

No. All cultures are not equal.
Started by: Neon1234

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 6 7 [8]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Newjak
Well I mean I think it depends on how you are trying to rate and define culture.

Are you trying to take a person and define them by their culture to make yourself seem superior while ignoring the context of your personal character? If so I agree with your teacher.

Are you trying to come up with pros and cons of different national cultures to compare and contrast those unique characteristics and determine objective quality? Then that's probably an interesting thought experiment to do.

Often times though when I hear conservative groups use that word it's in the case of the former instead of the later.

Heck most of the conservatives I hear talking about this ignore that their conservative culture would often be more in line with the other cultures they would deem bad.

Lets assume we're talking about measuring contests based on culture.

Isn't there an inherent bias in the assumption that we are above that sort of thing? As in, we know how superior we are, so we have nothing to prove, and no reason to take offense when criticised by a foreigner?

I can guarantee other cultures most definitely compare play that game, all the time. An Indian room mate let me see a poem his friends sent him, calling India the jewel of the Eastern world, and all other asian countries as dung heaps (China, Japan, ect)

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2021 06:52 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neon1234
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Scribble
Agreed, same with cultures that persecute people based on ethnicity, sexuality, sex & gender, etc.

thumb up

Joim KMC on Discord, it's a fun, laid back place to chat with people.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2021 09:58 PM
Neon1234 is currently offline Click here to Send Neon1234 a Private Message Find more posts by Neon1234 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by cdtm
Lets assume we're talking about measuring contests based on culture.

Isn't there an inherent bias in the assumption that we are above that sort of thing? As in, we know how superior we are, so we have nothing to prove, and no reason to take offense when criticised by a foreigner?

I can guarantee other cultures most definitely compare play that game, all the time. An Indian room mate let me see a poem his friends sent him, calling India the jewel of the Eastern world, and all other asian countries as dung heaps (China, Japan, ect)
If you want my personal opinion. There is danger in assuming one's superiority over another based on where you are born or what culture you worn born into.

I also think there is a danger in placing one's own country on a pedestal. This often leads countries to engage in indoctrination and not allow themselves to properly judge themselves.

I also think people tend to over blow what they consider to be the superior aspects of their culture.

For instance America way overblows the idea it has the most free freedomest freeing country to ever free. It creates a false sense superiority.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jan 7th, 2021 01:13 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

If you want my personal opinion. There is danger in assuming one's superiority over another based on where you are born or what culture you worn born into.

I also think there is a danger in placing one's own country on a pedestal. This often leads countries to engage in indoctrination and not allow themselves to properly judge themselves.

I also think people tend to over blow what they consider to be the superior aspects of their culture.

For instance America way overblows the idea it has the most free freedomest freeing country to ever free. It creates a false sense superiority.

I do agree boorish qualities are bad.

But pride in a country, is that so bad? If you can't love your country enough to advocate for it, then who can?

China, India, the U.K., or Russia certainly won't.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2021 02:04 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by cdtm
I do agree boorish qualities are bad.

But pride in a country, is that so bad? If you can't love your country enough to advocate for it, then who can?

China, India, the U.K., or Russia certainly won't.
I would argue there is a difference in taking pride in oneself/work vs feeling yourself superior to another.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jan 7th, 2021 02:10 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neon1234
Restricted

Account Restricted

I would argue there is a difference in taking pride in oneself/work vs feeling yourself superior to another.

I think they go hand in hand, but I get the point.

Joim KMC on Discord, it's a fun, laid back place to chat with people.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2021 02:12 PM
Neon1234 is currently offline Click here to Send Neon1234 a Private Message Find more posts by Neon1234 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by Neon1234
I think they go hand in hand, but I get the point.
No they don't.

People like to think they do.

You can for instance acknowledge you are doing something really good while acknowledging other people are doing it just as well.

You can acknowledge you do something poorly while understanding someone does it better.

You're focusing on the part where you might do something better that because you feel you did something better it makes you superior.

That is not true. You doing something better doesn't inherently make you superior. It just means you did something better than someone else. You could still have major faults in other areas.

At the end of the day you can feel you do something well and still not think yourself better than another entity.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jan 7th, 2021 02:18 PM
Klaw
Sigma Male

Given what is happening in Afghanistan; people who think all cultures are equal are looking really stupid right about now.

Simp list: samhain, Blakemore, snowdragon

If you want to anger a Conservative, lie to him.
If you want to anger a Liberal, tell him the truth.

KMC is a Left Wing echo chamber; just like Reddit and Twitter.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2021 12:28 AM
Klaw is currently offline Find more posts by Klaw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Klaw
Given what is happening in Afghanistan; people who think all cultures are equal are looking really stupid right about now.
Going by your reasoning the Jan 6 retards from mainly red states are inferior to the blue state cultures...

Old Post Aug 18th, 2021 12:39 AM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Going by your reasoning the Jan 6 retards from mainly red states are inferior to the blue state cultures...

What other cultures are inferior?

Old Post Aug 18th, 2021 12:44 AM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by snowdragon
What other cultures are inferior?
Personally I'd ask you to define culture. Then I'd ask why you wanted to apply equal standards instead of equitable standards. For instance a poor but strategic country that has been conquered for centuries and is know as the graveyard of empires can hardly have the same standards applied as a post colonial country based on wealthy European ideals, rich in natural resources. Where the indigenous people were systematically slaughtered and a lot of its wealth was built on slavery and trade with the nations that it's society is based on right down to its language. But that's me from the Culture that ruled more of the world than any other and only has a little more than the population of California, burnt your Whitehouse down. While inventing gulags, most founding Science and Engineering and is still referred to by the French as perfidious albion. Oh, we also mapped the Mason Dixon line because Americans couldn't do the maths with an s. smile

Last edited by Old Man Whirly! on Aug 18th, 2021 at 01:03 AM

Old Post Aug 18th, 2021 12:55 AM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Klaw
Sigma Male

Simp list: samhain, Blakemore, snowdragon

If you want to anger a Conservative, lie to him.
If you want to anger a Liberal, tell him the truth.

KMC is a Left Wing echo chamber; just like Reddit and Twitter.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2021 01:00 AM
Klaw is currently offline Find more posts by Klaw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Personally I'd ask you to define culture. Then I'd ask why you wanted to apply equal standards instead of equitable standards. For instance a poor but strategic country that has been conquered for centuries and is know as the graveyard of empires can hardly have the same standards applied as a post colonial country based on wealthy European ideals, rich in natural resources. Where the indigenous people were systematically slaughtered and a lot of its wealth was built on slavery and trade with the nations that it's society is based on right down to its language. But that's me from the Culture that ruled more of the world than any other and only has a little more than the population of California, burnt your Whitehouse down. While inventing gulags, most founding Science and Engineering and is still referred to by the French as perfidious albion. Oh, we also mapped the Mason Dixon line because Americans couldn't do the maths with an s. smile

Reeeeee laughing out loud

You have terrible vocabulary.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2021 07:03 AM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Eon Blue

Old Post Aug 18th, 2021 07:05 AM
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

I will never be a memory.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2021 07:08 AM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

This thread...

Old Post Aug 19th, 2022 10:22 AM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's true, all cultures are not equal.

We have two options, continue with capitalism, or create equity. And I'm not sure which one works the best.

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Aug 19th, 2022 11:28 AM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Best posts:

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
That is why his entire objection is retarded. Cultures are not monolithic. A particular culture may be good in one area, and bad in another. Or might be measured on a continuum from bad to good across various human rights dimensions. Hell, we have wildly divergent attitudes in different geographic regions in this country. This is just more simple, black and white thinking from underdeveloped conservative minds.

Well I mean I think it depends on how you are trying to rate and define culture.

Are you trying to take a person and define them by their culture to make yourself seem superior while ignoring the context of your personal character? If so I agree with your teacher.

Are you trying to come up with pros and cons of different national cultures to compare and contrast those unique characteristics and determine objective quality? Then that's probably an interesting thought experiment to do.

Often times though when I hear conservative groups use that word it's in the case of the former instead of the later.

Heck most of the conservatives I hear talking about this ignore that their conservative culture would often be more in line with the other cultures they would deem bad.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 19th, 2022 04:22 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote