KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » The Muppets's lack of success on TV after The Muppet Show.

The Muppets's lack of success on TV after The Muppet Show.
Started by: VG_Addict

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
VG_Addict

The Muppets's lack of success on TV after The Muppet Show.

I’ve been getting into The Muppets lately, and I just realized that none of the shows after The Muppet Show were nearly as successful, with the exception of Muppet Babies.

Why haven’t the post-Muppet Show shows been as successful? Is it because the Muppets are a product of their time? Kids today probably have no idea what a variety show even is, which is what the Muppet Show was making fun of. And yes, I know the Muppets were originally intended for general audiences, like Looney Tunes, but also like Looney Tunes, they’re now marketed toward kids.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2021 10:00 PM
VG_Addict is currently offline Click here to Send VG_Addict a Private Message Find more posts by VG_Addict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I loved the muppet babies when i was a kid

Old Post Feb 14th, 2021 10:06 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
I loved the muppet babies when i was a kid

Ha! Same.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2021 10:43 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I'm still a fan. Liked the 2015 show, and currently watching Muppets Now on Disney Plus. But maybe younger generations find them old fashioned.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 15th, 2021 04:07 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I enjoyed the hell out of the 2015 show. I thought it was very clever actually. Things like, they needed a celebrity for Piggy’s show so Kermit sent Scooter out into the studio looking and he comes back w. Tom Bergeron. Kermit says something along the lines of “you went to the set of Dancing With The Stars and came back w. Tom Bergeron”?
That was hilarious.

My favorite bit may have been the drum battle between Dave Grohl and Animal, though.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Feb 15th, 2021 09:48 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by roughrider
I'm still a fan. Liked the 2015 show, and currently watching Muppets Now on Disney Plus. But maybe younger generations find them old fashioned.
I love pretty much all of the muppet movies, but the 2015 show was awful.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Feb 26th, 2021 08:42 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Disney now thinks the muppets are offensive though, putting warnings on some episodes of the show.

Yet they are still willing to profit off offensive content. Loving the hypocrisy, keep it up Disney!

Old Post Feb 27th, 2021 07:17 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

^^^thats nothing new, though for Disney or any other entity that puts shows on the air.

I’ve been seeing disclaimers like this...

...since I was a kid, so like, 45 years ago.

Not saying you’re wrong a Disney’s not hypocritical/profiting etc. just that they aren’t doing anything groundbreaking here.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2021 07:37 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

True, but in the wake of them firing someone for tweets they don't like it just highlights even more how utterly gutless they and their defenders are. I guess it's like a situation where an incident really puts a bright spotlight on behavior that has been going on for decades.

Last edited by Surtur on Feb 27th, 2021 at 08:25 PM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2021 08:16 PM
riv6672

I guess.
To me it’s such a fact of life it doesn’t even register!

Old Post Feb 27th, 2021 10:08 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Also given on camera Miss Piggy didn't hesitate to abuse Kermit I can only imagine the atrocities he suffered behind closed doors.

#HimToo

Old Post Feb 28th, 2021 12:27 AM
riv6672

laughing thumb up

Old Post Feb 28th, 2021 01:22 AM
tkitna

By Stoic

Last edited by tkitna on Feb 28th, 2021 at 11:05 AM

Old Post Feb 28th, 2021 11:01 AM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

There is darkness behind some of our favorite kids shows. And it isn't just the Muppets.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2021 09:56 PM
riv6672

Not saying youre wrong but sometimes adults just see shit that aint there!

Old Post Mar 1st, 2021 10:36 PM