KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Voice actors dropping their roles for skin color

Is dropping the role for skin color necessary or stupid?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Necessary 1 8.33%
Stupid 11 91.67%
Total: 12 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Voice actors dropping their roles for skin color
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

Voice actors dropping their roles for skin color

James Earl Jones, a black man, voices Darth Vader, a white man.

James Avery, a black man, voices the Shredder, a Japanese man.

Terrence C. Carson and Christopher Judge, both black men, voice Kratos, a Greek/Mediterranean man.

But it’s only “wrong” if white people voice characters not their skin color or ethnicity?

The voice actors who are making a spectacle of themselves by publicly announcing their stepping down from roles because of their opposite skin colors are nothing but shameless attention whores.

It’s my firm belief that skin color matters NOT in voice acting.

Thoughts and opinions?

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 06:44 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I think it's silly overall, you're an actor and it's just a voice. No reason a White actor can't voice a Black character and vice-versa. If the voice fits a character, it fits.

I do understand where some voice actors are dropping roles where they were doing voices that were racially insensitive to some people.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 06:52 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Cleveland from family guy is a black male cartoon voiced by a white guy...

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 06:53 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I have many Indian friends who laugh at the notion of Apu from the Simpsons being insensitive.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 06:57 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, I liked Apu.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 07:08 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Impediment
I have many Indian friends who laugh at the notion of Apu from the Simpsons being insensitive.

I'm sure many do at the stereotype, but some didn't. Though I do think it was largely Azaria's choice.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 07:09 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Impediment
James Earl Jones, a black man, voices Darth Vader, a white man.

James Avery, a black man, voices the Shredder, a Japanese man.

Terrence C. Carson and Christopher Judge, both black men, voice Kratos, a Greek/Mediterranean man.

But it’s only “wrong” if white people voice characters not their skin color or ethnicity?

The voice actors who are making a spectacle of themselves by publicly announcing their stepping down from roles because of their opposite skin colors are nothing but shameless attention whores.

It’s my firm belief that skin color matters NOT in voice acting.

Thoughts and opinions?

Where's the rub?

What's in it for them, to quit a paying gig? Must be something in it, or they're just shooting themselves in the foot. Good will doesn't pay the bills.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 07:18 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think it was mostly due to him being an Indian man who owned a corner shop and had a big family. Classic stereotypes. Throw in the silly voice and I think you all get the point. Now, I'm no stranger to corner shops owned by south asian people, where I'm from, most are actually owned by bangladeshi people. They're also very nice and friendly and white english people work there too. Back to Apu. He was a great character and I think his removal was nothing more than a political statement, if anything.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 07:24 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Someone like Azaria can afford it now, he's also doing other voices in the Simpson at 300K an episode.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 07:25 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Boh.

Homer doesn't say bo, he says......... D'oh!

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 07:27 PM
cdtm

Will be interesting seeing how the argument holds up to fluid identity politics.

Unless they choose to ignore that elephant in the room.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 07:44 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

I think it's fine if people step away because they are uncomfortable. I wouldn't consider that "stupid."

Is it necessary? It's not a blanket yes or no. It would probably be weird if James Avery was doing an asian accent - I'd probably be like "maybe cast someone else." But maybe not even then. Like I love Phil Lamarr's Samurai Jack so, eh toss up.

James Earl Jones sounds like a weird one because that dude probably wasn't originally an old white guy, and also he's wearing like, a ****ing robot suit. That was just what the voicebox shit sounded like, right? I mean Hayden sounded exactly the same when it got strapped on.

And yeah I'm sure there are some Indian people who aren't offended by Apu, but there are plenty who are. I'm not gonna toss my two cents into that argument because I don't have a dog in this fight. Especially because The Simpsons isn't as good as FUTURAMA

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 07:56 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

I have an Indian friend who was pretty offended by a Diablo voice actor.

It was a really bad over the top impersonation though.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 08:08 PM
Impediment
Endless

What about ScarJo as an Asian character in Ghost in the Shell?

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 08:13 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by cdtm
Will be interesting seeing how the argument holds up to fluid identity politics.

Indian elephant or african elephant?

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 08:18 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

LoL

Monty Python-ish

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 08:25 PM
Quincy
Debaser

Originally posted by cdtm

I've thought about this same thing!

It's a tricky slope. Like now that Eliot Page has transitioned to Male, he's now playing a female character on Umbrella Academy.

Like where's the line? I know he was already playing her before his transition, and I know it's difficult for trans actors to get roles, so it's kinda weird to parse.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 08:30 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
LoL

Monty Python-ish
ayy lmao

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 08:50 PM
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Originally posted by Blakemore
Cleveland from family guy is a black male cartoon voiced by a white guy...

Not anymore.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 09:00 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Trocity
Not anymore.
say what?

Old Post Feb 25th, 2021 09:34 PM