KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Sony buys Evo, the largest fighting game tournament in the world.

Sony buys Evo, the largest fighting game tournament in the world.
Started by: StyleTime

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
StyleTime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
Is it?

Thought Street was the biggest thing going, followed by Marvel vs Capcom and MK. And now Dragon Ball FighterZ seems crazy popular.

Nah, Smash was ridiculously huge. And I'm happy, as it bothered the old guard of obnoxious Street Fighter elitists. They had the mentality that other fighters doing well somehow subtracted from their game. I am really glad that era is over. SF is still big, but it's no longer the only game in town. Which is a good thing for the community.

Tekken also became utterly massive, being a rare example of a game that grows in numbers each year. It's viewership ratings were second only to Smash. That said, you don't have to be number 1 to be doing well. Under Night, Granblue VS, and Samurai Showdown put up some crazy numbers too.

Either way, Evo will be fine without Smash. Smash will be fine without Evo. I am more just disappointed, since it was supposed to be a celebration of fighting games. I hate that a series is getting pushed out just when we entered an era where the fighting game community became more open to other games. There's less shitting on each other's games now, and the younger crowd doesn't hold the same biases as older folks. Many games are doing well, and that's good for everyone.

There's other tournaments, and many games have their own pro-tours now. I just like having one big ultra tourney that everyone could watch. Following all these separate circuits is tiresome, especially if you like multiple games.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jun 8th, 2021 at 03:44 AM

Old Post Jun 8th, 2021 03:31 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Smash was about the most entertaining thing at Evo so...that sucks. And no Marvel 2? Boo!

Least there's still Cross Tag, Them's Fightin' Herds, and Skullgirls to check out I guess. The latter I'm surprised seeing considering Sony's boondoggling censorship crusade.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Jun 8th, 2021 at 09:00 PM

Old Post Jun 8th, 2021 08:53 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Skullgirls got added to the Evo Main Stage, which is cool. It will be like Tekken, holding a main stage tourney and a community tourney for PC and PS4 respectively.

https://twitter.com/Skullgirls/stat...9783648256?s=20

(please log in to view the image)

It's probably due to the hype around Annie being released. I used her a bit and had fun.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jul 15th, 2021 at 12:25 AM

Old Post Jul 15th, 2021 12:18 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote