KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » PS3, PS Vita, and PSP stores to close permanently in July and August

PS3, PS Vita, and PSP stores to close permanently in July and August
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I'm downloading FFVII on my PSP rn buddy, for the record I hope it does work! Maybe I just downloaded it when that bug was going on (I bought it and didn't really play it for a long time.)

Half-way through the download, so my fingers are crossed.
Okay so, @StyleTime good news! FFVII works on my PSP.

With that said, time to buy every single FF game on the store, Legend of Mana, the Crash and Spyro games, yup, going on a ****ing binge.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 08:50 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

You know, everybody is going nuts talking about this, but no one brought up how Discord Nitro users got shafted:

"Can I Still Play Games In The Nitro Library?"

"As we detailed in a previous announcement, the Nitro games library is no longer accessible to any and all Nitro subscribers as of October 15th, 2019. Any games in the library won't be available for play going forward, even if you previously installed them.

The Nitro games library functioned in a way that's similar to other streaming library services such as Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass, Spotify, and Netflix. Subscribers had access to the games in the library while they were available and could install them at any point in time. Now that the library no longer exists, the games aren't available anymore, and you sadly won't be able to play them going forward.

Games you installed will still have a Play option next to them. If they were games you installed through the Nitro library, you may run into an error if you haven't purchased these games from another marketplace. You can learn how to manage unplayable games below."

Edit: I up-****ed.

"What About Purchased Games? And Nitro Perks?"

Games you bought through the retired Store tab or through server commerce aren't going away. The removal of the Nitro games library only applies to games you downloaded through the Nitro library. If you purchased a game on Discord, be it through our old Store or through a developer's server, that game is yours forever.

Similarly, Nitro Perks aren't going anywhere either! In the Nitro tab, you'll have a peek at all of the Perks available through your Nitro subscription.

Last edited by Jmanghan on Apr 2nd, 2021 at 11:56 AM

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 11:53 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Yeah, digital subscription services are a bit different from digital purchases. With subscription services, you pay a monthly fee for access to a big library of games. You don't own the games, but your monthly fee cost far less than actually buying all of the games individually.

I'm not familiar with Nitro's service at all, but these models are basically like Netflix or Spotify for video games. I use PSNow and get access to 700+ games. It's a pretty good deal, especially for playing games you may have missed out on. Xbox Game Pass is similar. It includes newer games though, which ups the price a little. Just depends on what you prefer.

Last edited by StyleTime on Apr 3rd, 2021 at 01:07 AM

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2021 12:54 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

The PS3 store its so jank when lookin for the PS1 games, I've read type Classics into the search bar nothing comes up for me.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2021 01:52 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by StyleTime
Yeah, digital subscription services are a bit different from digital purchases. With subscription services, you pay a monthly fee for access to a big library of games. You don't own the games, but your monthly fee cost far less than actually buying all of the games individually.

I'm not familiar with Nitro's service at all, but these models are basically like Netflix or Spotify for video games. I use PSNow and get access to 700+ games. It's a pretty good deal, especially for playing games you may have missed out on. Xbox Game Pass is similar. It includes newer games though, which ups the price a little. Just depends on what you prefer.
Yeah at the beginning I thought they were talking about games individually purchased as well.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2021 01:58 AM
Jmanghan

Is Chrono Cross on the store? I saw it was a few years ago, hope they didn't remove it.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2021 03:53 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Is Chrono Cross on the store? I saw it was a few years ago, hope they didn't remove it.

It's suppose to be on the North American store. But not the PAL store no

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2021 04:15 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

Finally got around to watching this. I keep hearing conflicting things about the CMOS issue, so I don't really know what to say. It seems like PS3/PSP/VITA will still be able to connect the PSN, so they should be good. It's just the store being taken down. I'm no expert here though.

I think the more concerning thing is that the PS4 has DRM for physical games, so without an internet connection, the ability to play those would eventually time out too in theory.

But, this all seems to require the actual PSN going down forever if I'm understanding correctly. Like I said, I'm no expert though.

All the more reason why Sony needs better DRM policies either way.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2021 07:49 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I'm glad i got some of the PS1 games on the PS3 Store for the PAL region, ***** have removed some of them.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2021 06:44 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/sta...0354223110?s=19

Looks like they reversed the decision. Good to know bullying companies still works on things like this at least. More importantly, with the network still around, you can connect back to it if you ever have to replace the internal cmos battery of your older PS system, which is cheap in itself.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2021 05:35 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

I think more then anything they're doing this to let developers finish their games in a timely fashion.

We have more time buuuuut... It IS going to happen, if not now, then in the next 2 years.

That said the only one I really care about is PSP. I don't have a PS3 (currently) and the games for Vita don't interest me (and it can play LESS PS1 games then PSP, try and figure that out. :/)

Did you know you can't buy Crash Bandicoot on your PS Vita in the US? OR play it? Same goes for the sequels, it's very odd.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2021 05:52 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Enough big people and youtubers made videos and stuff on the subject to make it trend, so Sony listened. I know nothing lasts forever, but let people be optimistic in the moment.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2021 06:02 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

I think more then anything they're doing this to let developers finish their games in a timely fashion.

We have more time buuuuut... It IS going to happen, if not now, then in the next 2 years.

That said the only one I really care about is PSP. I don't have a PS3 (currently) and the games for Vita don't interest me (and it can play LESS PS1 games then PSP, try and figure that out. :/)

Did you know you can't buy Crash Bandicoot on your PS Vita in the US? OR play it? Same goes for the sequels, it's very odd.
Seems like you just like to complain.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Apr 19th, 2021 09:30 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Think I'll pull out my physical copy of Shadow Hearrs Covenant tonight, and play it on my PS2.

Or maybe God Hand. Good to know I can play whatever I want whenever without worry about the internet. thumb up

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2021 10:03 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Despite how positive I was trying to be on my last post, this is but one little win out of a number of L's Sony has had as of late.

And if I'm to believe this was done in part so that Vita developers would have more time to finish their games, they were still crunched beforehand until Sony reversed the decision on the store shutting down today; ended up going through maybe weeks of crunch time for nothing.

It took less than a day for Microsoft to reverse the decision on the XBL price hike when they were testing the waters with that, but took close to a month for Sony to realize that maybe they shouldn't close down legacy stores under the current circumstances.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2021 11:52 PM
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Enough big people and youtubers made videos and stuff on the subject to make it trend, so Sony listened. I know nothing lasts forever, but let people be optimistic in the moment.
Okay... lol.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2021 02:38 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Wish they would fix up the search on PS3 store for the PAL region, It's garbage looking for things.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2021 02:47 AM