KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Physical Gaming vs Digital Gaming - The Ultimate Debate Thread

Physical Gaming vs Digital Gaming - The Ultimate Debate Thread
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Digital stuff pays the same tax as physical stuff here.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 17th, 2021 05:25 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jmanghan
They also made a purchase using my saved card. smile

Rayman Legends for $5.24

Are you happy about it? What's with the smiley? Lol

Old Post May 17th, 2021 08:15 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by StyleTime
Are you happy about it? What's with the smiley? Lol
It's a sarcastic smiley.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post May 17th, 2021 08:47 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Oh. thumb up

Yeah. I actually use digital codes to add money to my Playstation account nowadays. It adds an extra step when I want to purchase something, but I've already had to cancel a couple of cards due to hacks before. It wasn't from gaming, but I guess having my card info in fewer places helps either way.

I'm thankful my bank's fraud detection acts pretty quickly, and they refund your money. It can be annoying when I buy something, they block me, and I have to call them though. I guess better safe than sorry.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 17th, 2021 at 09:24 PM

Old Post May 17th, 2021 09:16 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Tbh I'm back thinking about this and I think I'm biased since at this point I get games just to own them.

There's just something about being sentimental for games, picking them up, popping them on and playing them as you please.

However... Sailing the high seas on my PSP makes me realize just how convenient digital games are, at least when they aren't surrounded by stupid DRM bs. The worst DRM was Chronicles of Riddick where you could only re-download it a few times before you were locked out of the game and had to prove your identity or something? Physical version didn't have that.

Last edited by Jmanghan on Feb 22nd, 2022 at 02:12 PM

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2022 02:04 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

The latest thing that i've seen for the PS1 classics for the PS3 & Vita, Is that when you re-download them there's a weird expiry date for 1970.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2022 01:44 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Kazenji
The latest thing that i've seen for the PS1 classics for the PS3 & Vita, Is that when you re-download them there's a weird expiry date for 1970.
Yup...
https://kotaku.com/playstation-3-ps...chro-1848770979

"Digital purchases are mysteriously expiring on classic PlayStation consoles, rendering a random assortment of games unplayable.

Over the last several days, PlayStation users have reported strange, decades-old expiration dates being applied to their digital games. Upon re-downloading the PSOne Classic version of Chrono Cross, for instance, Twitter user Christopher Foose was told the purchase expired on December 31, 1969, preventing him from playing the game on both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita."

Old Post Jun 7th, 2022 02:44 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Not too long ago too Xbox Live went down and people couldn't play so much as their downloaded single player games even so what do you think my answer is?

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2022 03:13 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Nemesis X
Not too long ago too Xbox Live went down and people couldn't play so much as their downloaded single player games even so what do you think my answer is?

**** digital gaming, It is not the way

Old Post Jun 7th, 2022 03:31 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by Nemesis X

My understanding is that you needed to set your Xbox as your Home Console, and you could still play your offline single player games.

Unless it requires a connection, like RDR2. That applies even for disc owners though, oddly enough.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2022 03:33 PM
StyleTime

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Yup...
https://kotaku.com/playstation-3-ps...chro-1848770979

"Digital purchases are mysteriously expiring on classic PlayStation consoles, rendering a random assortment of games unplayable.

Over the last several days, PlayStation users have reported strange, decades-old expiration dates being applied to their digital games. Upon re-downloading the PSOne Classic version of Chrono Cross, for instance, Twitter user Christopher Foose was told the purchase expired on December 31, 1969, preventing him from playing the game on both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita."

It appears this issue was fixed only a few days after it happened.

https://twitter.com/FooseTV/status/...Zs1hCE1VxwfK-Sw

Last edited by StyleTime on Jun 8th, 2022 at 04:28 PM

Old Post Jun 8th, 2022 04:20 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by StyleTime
That applies even for disc owners though, oddly enough.

This.

Nowadays discs have mostly the same disadvantages as digital libraries. Rather than being games themselves, they're more like keys to the games.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2022 06:21 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

^ Most of that seems to apply to the Xbox tho with how Microsoft has things setup for that console, Haven't had that problem on a Playstation.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2022 06:25 AM
ares834

Don't kid yourself. It's nearly the exact same on both consoles. The one issue it's slightly more a problem on Xbox is with backwards compatibility.

Last edited by ares834 on Jun 9th, 2022 at 06:37 AM

Old Post Jun 9th, 2022 06:34 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by ares834
Don't kid yourself. It's nearly the exact same on both consoles. The one issue it's slightly more a problem on Xbox is with backwards compatibility.

Such as which games on the Playstation?

i literally had the internet offline a month ago because they were working on the lines and i could play games offline with no issues.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2022 07:14 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

The last time I had to go without internet for a bit, was still able to play a decent bit of Xbox games, including some backwards compatible ones, though it may have helped that I still had the discs.

On average though, I recall a similar amount of games I could not play offline on both Xbox and PS4. Not something I would make a console war topic over.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2022 07:33 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

On average though, I recall a similar amount of games I could not play offline on both Xbox and PS4. Not something I would make a console war topic over.

I'm not trying to make a console war, Just asking for examples of said games on the PS4 that can't play even offline.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2022 07:48 AM
ares834

Originally posted by Kazenji
Such as which games on the Playstation?

i literally had the internet offline a month ago because they were working on the lines and i could play games offline with no issues.

That's the exact same as Xbox...

Old Post Jun 9th, 2022 08:04 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I have two Xbox consoles running....one for the kids and my own.

I downloaded NHL 21 (game pass) for my son, turn off the Internet and it still works. After that, I play on my own console.

Though..I wonder if my old Xbox is still set as the Home console.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2022 11:50 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

I am fine with both.

I have a large collection of PC video games (Physical Copies); I can use these if I plan to stay in a location where internet connectivity is absent or lacking.

I am buying online as well.

Digital distribution services have encouraged many people around the world to buy ORIGINAL in fact (helped reduce piracy). I credit Gabe Newell's Valve Corporation for advancing Digital Gaming with STEAM; Gabe is a visionary (a living legend).

Digital Gaming did not eliminate OFF-LINE gaming though. Freemium video games require internet connectivity to work for sure. But many video games (Digital Copies) can be played OFF-LINE.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/best-offline-games

To each his own though.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Jun 19th, 2022 at 01:33 PM

Old Post Jun 19th, 2022 01:28 PM
S_W_LeGenD is currently offline Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote