KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Physical Gaming vs Digital Gaming - The Ultimate Debate Thread

Physical Gaming vs Digital Gaming - The Ultimate Debate Thread
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Digital gaming is the major reason why PC gaming has flourished in the last 10-15 years. Indie developers are able to make interesting games (or not as interesting)....and sell them on digital platforms. This rarely ever happened before Steam and other platforms came to be.

Console less so....but most indie/small/medium developers and publishers exist because of digital sales.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2022 01:26 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

^^^

Good observation. thumb up

Old Post Jun 20th, 2022 12:59 PM
S_W_LeGenD is currently offline Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Disc rot is becoming more serious, it seems to be inevitable on most discs.

Happened to several of my "The Office" discs, and my Ghibli collection, both are DVDs.

However rot seems to affect UMDs, Blu-Rays, and CDs as well, be careful. This is a serious point against physical media.

However cartridges should all last like 100+ years assuming they aren't treated poorly by ANY of their owners.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jul 5th, 2022 10:20 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jmanghan

However cartridges should all last like 100+ years assuming they aren't treated poorly by ANY of their owners.

Same sorta deal with Discs too, Depends on how you look after them.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2022 02:38 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Kazenji
Same sorta deal with Discs too, Depends on how you look after them.
I took really good care of my brand new, plastic-wrapped (at the time) Ghibli collection that I hardly ever actually watched and it still succumbed to Disc Rot. The Office DVD's were kept in a nice, cool place, with Season 7 barely being touched.

Disc rot is a natural occurence of the chemicals in the disc being exposed to Oxygen among other things, and all discs will rot sooner or later.

Last edited by Jmanghan on Jul 6th, 2022 at 07:44 AM

Old Post Jul 6th, 2022 07:38 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

I've had games like Dead Rising since 2006. Not to mention all the used PS1/2 discs I've found that still work to this very day.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2022 11:29 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Nemesis X
I've had games like Dead Rising since 2006. Not to mention all the used PS1/2 discs I've found that still work to this very day.
Oh no doubt, but check them in another 20 years and see how they work, if you still have them.

Some might expire quicker, others might take a century, but stuff like for example UMD's, LaserDiscs, etc, none of those will work 100-130 years from now.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2022 03:19 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Oh no doubt, but check them in another 20 years and see how they work, if you still have them.

Some might expire quicker, others might take a century, but stuff like for example UMD's, LaserDiscs, etc, none of those will work 100-130 years from now.

https://twitter.com/flatpanels/stat...W-2v2UIJJvH4QtQ

Better risking disc rot than putting up with that.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2022 01:42 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I've never purchased a movie off the PSN store, If i do buy movies its always physical media.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2022 06:12 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I would agree. I don't buy movies digitally.
Though I generally do not buy movies anymore......

Old Post Jul 8th, 2022 11:28 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Smasandian
I would agree. I don't buy movies digitally.
Though I generally do not buy movies anymore......

I normally buy the films that i really liked.

Old Post Jul 9th, 2022 04:16 AM
Jmanghan

This is a me problem buuut... phones are now required to log into the older PS stores: https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...ation-disabled/

Let's be generous and say that only 20,000 people in the world where phones are readily available don't actually use phones and still use their PS3, PSP, and PS Vita.

You can't access your purchased games.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2022 07:34 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

So with just one brilliant stroke, Sony has gotten 20,000 subterraneans to go outside for the first time in fifteen years. Amazin'.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2022 08:44 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote