KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Started by: TheVaultDweller

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ShadowFyre

yeah, let's not sell it short and I dont want to be a negative Nancy but I have a firm feeling Marvel milked it for the majority of what it's worth. And I dont really mean they milked it milked it but yall get what I'm saying?

I guess what I mean is they have already hit the top of where they can reach with this medium but hopefully they prove me wrong.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 02:24 AM
ShadowFyre is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowFyre a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowFyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
One of the worst trailers ive seen in a while. They do know this isnt 2002 and we dont want to see wirefu and slowmo in our martial arts films.
Agreed. I'm not a fan of the slomo either. Daredevil showed how to do martial arts just fine.
They should have taken that and dialed it up to 11. Adding the corny effects to that makes it worse. This should have had the frantic combat from something like Cap2: Winter Soldier. Not whatever this is.

We'll see if there are better fights in the movie though.

PWNT

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 02:58 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I personally don't mind more stylised fight sequences, as long as they're done well. With this one, I feel it's a bit too early to give proper judgment, seeing as we only get short snippets from the fights.

Considering this was some of the test footage, I think we might be getting a combo of wire-fu and fast-paced close-up action. I love the WTF look on Simu's face right at the end after they do the weird hand clap thing:

And apparently the guy who is doing the fight sequences worked on Spider-Man 2 & 3 (the Raimi films), Alita Battle Angel etc.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Apr 21st, 2021 at 06:40 AM

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 06:38 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Wire fu is awesome. Get taste. It adds a dream-like quality to these borderline mystical martial arts. Hell, it's the only thing this movie seems to have going for it.

Last edited by ares834 on Apr 21st, 2021 at 06:50 AM

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 06:45 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

Originally posted by ShadowFyre
You dont wanna see it. I do like me some wirefu and slowmo

You dont like martial arts films probably

My Reality Is Your Imagination.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 03:51 PM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Agreed. I'm not a fan of the slomo either. Daredevil showed how to do martial arts just fine.
They should have taken that and dialed it up to 11. Adding the corny effects to that makes it worse. This should have had the frantic combat from something like Cap2: Winter Soldier. Not whatever this is.

We'll see if there are better fights in the movie though.

Raid redemption, and the Ong bak trilogy are what a superhero/martial arts film should model around choreography wise.
Unrealistic fighting yet still grounded and brutal. If they can encapsulate that with hollywood effects and budget they couldnt go wrong.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2021 12:22 AM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I honestly don't mind the trailer. I think the movie looks fine, and the martial arts look decent.

Holy shit though, I expect it to bomb hard in Asia. Especially China.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2021 09:43 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Originally posted by -Pr-
I expect it to bomb hard in Asia. Especially China.

What makes you think so?

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2021 11:31 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShadowFyre

You dont like martial arts films probably

Your very amazing at deciding exactly what a person does or does not like from a single statement probably.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2021 11:48 AM
ShadowFyre is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowFyre a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowFyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Impediment
What makes you think so?

Asian cinema goers in general, from what I've seen, don't like the kind of, I suppose "pandering" is the word that a lot of Hollywood does when it comes to asian people. There's a very "anti-HK martials arts" sentiment too, and on top of that, a lot of asians (from what I've seen anyway), don't feel very well represented by the Asian Americans they see on screen.

Contrast the performances of movies like Mulan (the remake) and Crazy Rich Asians with something like, say, Kung Fu Panda. Asians ****ing love Kung Fu Panda.

The best example I could give you is, imagine if Hollywood made a movie about Leprechauns, cast nothing but Irish-Americans in it, then tried to market that film in Ireland. I hope that makes sense.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2021 02:12 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

Originally posted by ShadowFyre
Your very amazing at deciding exactly what a person does or does not like from a single statement probably.

Its quite obvious when you said this movie has a old school chinese style laughing

Like where in the trailer did you see anything old school? This has hollywood written all over it

Last edited by 0mega Spawn on Apr 22nd, 2021 at 03:16 PM

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2021 03:13 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

The best example I could give you is, imagine if Hollywood made a movie about Leprechauns, cast nothing but Irish-Americans in it, then tried to market that film in Ireland. I hope that makes sense.

That would be an awesome movie to be sure, to be sure.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2021 05:06 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Impediment
Is Mandarin a decent or captivating villain? I’ve never read much into him. All I know is that he wields ten alien power rings.

He's a "Fu Manchu".

Remember the evil asian stereotype from Iron Man 3 that turned out to be a stage actor? Comic Mandarin is really like that.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2021 05:25 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

I so hope Fin Fang Foom is at least mentioned

i also hope the post credit scene is [SPOILER - highlight to read]: danny rand

Asian cinema goers in general, from what I've seen, don't like the kind of, I suppose "pandering" is the word that a lot of Hollywood does when it comes to asian people. There's a very "anti-HK martials arts" sentiment too, and on top of that, a lot of asians (from what I've seen anyway), don't feel very well represented by the Asian Americans they see on screen.

Contrast the performances of movies like Mulan (the remake) and Crazy Rich Asians with something like, say, Kung Fu Panda. Asians ****ing love Kung Fu Panda.

i suspect the asian market is the reason that this takes off

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2021 08:19 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

i also hope the post credit scene is [SPOILER - highlight to read]: danny rand

i suspect the asian market is the reason that this takes off

Agreed a number of movies take in asia

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2021 08:37 PM
CoolBlackKnight
~ Superninja ~

Not feeling this trailer... Too "production" and the wire fu fights are very meh.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2021 01:50 AM
CoolBlackKnight is currently offline Click here to Send CoolBlackKnight a Private Message Find more posts by CoolBlackKnight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Agreed a number of movies take in asia

yes definitely

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2021 03:07 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by cdtm
He's a "Fu Manchu".

Remember the evil asian stereotype from Iron Man 3 that turned out to be a stage actor? Comic Mandarin is really like that.

Go see the Mandarin's appearances from Matt Fraction's Iron Man, He was never like the Fu Man chu stereotype

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

He's suppose to be in the actual movie, There's even a Funko pop of him.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2021 07:06 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Kazenji
Go see the Mandarin's appearances from Matt Fraction's Iron Man, He was never like the Fu Man chu stereotype

oh cool, that'll make this even better

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2021 10:32 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Kazenji

That's relatively recent, was talking more historically.

There's a reason Robot Chicken had a blatantly racist stereotype in their skit. Because Mandarin has historically been a blatant racist stereotype.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2021 02:45 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote