KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Capitol Police Officer Cleared In Ashli Babbitt Shooting

Capitol Police Officer Cleared In Ashli Babbitt Shooting
Started by: Bashar Teg

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Adam_PoE

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
Wait a minute..

Exoneration by an internal investigation.

So we're just gonna take their word for it this time? I mean, didn't we just have a movement protesting how police departments clear their officers all the time? Why not let a court clear her, instead of her own people?

You did not have a problem with the police investigating themselves when they shoot black people. Unless this incident has inspired you to become a Black Lives Matter supporter who wants to reform the police, then you should probably remain silent and take the L on this one.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2021 01:34 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by Impediment
I’m not glad she’s dead. I’m sure she was a decent human being.

However, stupid games award stupid prizes.

That’s Natural Selection.

Every domestic terrorist has loved ones who will say that their extremist beliefs and actions are "out of character," and we should judge them by the fact that they loved animals and small children. Sorry, there is nothing decent about what she believed or what she did, and her actions define her.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2021 01:39 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
You did not have a problem with the police investigating themselves when they shoot black people. Unless this incident has inspired you to become a Black Lives Matter supporter who wants to reform the police, then you should probably remain silent and take the L on this one.

Who says I never had a problem with the police investigating themselves?

Even if what you say is true, it's a different subject. It's like accusing someone of buying too many donuts for their fat ass, and the spouse countering about the drinking.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2021 01:44 AM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Wait a minute..

Exoneration by an internal investigation.

It wasn't just an internal investigation.

The Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice and U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia’s Public Corruption and Civil Rights Section investigated too, along with the Metropolitan Police Department’s Internal Affairs Division. The MPD are somewhat connected with the Capitol Police, but the other two aren't.

You can read the DOJ report here.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/pr/...h-ashli-babbitt

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 1st, 2021 at 01:54 AM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2021 01:47 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

once again cdtm will not directly address his own failure, because he's a ridiculous time waster troll

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2021 02:28 AM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by StyleTime
It wasn't just an internal investigation.

The Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice and U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia’s Public Corruption and Civil Rights Section investigated too, along with the Metropolitan Police Department’s Internal Affairs Division. The MPD are somewhat connected with the Capitol Police, but the other two aren't.

You can read the DOJ report here.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/pr/...h-ashli-babbitt

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehil...-shocking%3famp

quote:

TheHill
OPINION | JUDICIARY
August 28, 2021 - 11:15 AM EDT
Justified shooting or fair game? Shooter of Ashli Babbitt makes shocking admission

BY JONATHAN TURLEY, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR
The views expressed by contributors are their own and not the view of The Hill
"That's my job." Those three words summed up a controversial interview this week with the long-unnamed officer who shot and killed Ashli Babbitt on Jan. 6. Shortly after being cleared by the Capitol Police in the shooting, Lt. Michael Byrd went public in an NBC interview, insisting that he "saved countless lives" by shooting the unarmed protester.

I have long expressed doubt over the Babbitt shooting, which directly contradicted standards on the use of lethal force by law enforcement. But what was breathtaking about Byrd's interview was that he confirmed the worst suspicions about the shooting and raised serious questions over the incident reviews by the Department of Justice (DOJ) and, most recently, the Capitol Police.

Babbitt, 35, was an Air Force veteran and ardent supporter of former President Trump. She came to Washington to protest the certification of the presidential Electoral College results and stormed into the Capitol when security lines collapsed. She had no criminal record but clearly engaged in criminal conduct that day by entering Capitol and disobeying police commands. The question, however, has been why this unarmed trespasser deserved to die.

When protesters rushed to the House chamber, police barricaded the chamber's doors; Capitol Police were on both sides, with officers standing directly behind Babbitt. Babbitt and others began to force their way through, and Babbitt started to climb through a broken window. That is when Byrd killed her.

At the time, some of us familiar with the rules governing police use of force raised concerns over the shooting. Those concerns were heightened by the DOJ's bizarre review and report, which stated the governing standards but then seemed to brush them aside to clear Byrd.

The DOJ report did not read like any post-shooting review I have read as a criminal defense attorney or law professor. The DOJ statement notably does not say that the shooting was clearly justified. Instead, it stressed that "prosecutors would have to prove not only that the officer used force that was constitutionally unreasonable, but that the officer did so 'willfully.'" It seemed simply to shrug and say that the DOJ did not believe it could prove "a bad purpose to disregard the law" and that "evidence that an officer acted out of fear, mistake, panic, misperception, negligence, or even poor judgment cannot establish the high level of intent."

While the Supreme Court, in cases such as Graham v. Connor, has said that courts must consider "the facts and circumstances of each particular case," it has emphasized that lethal force must be used only against someone who is "an immediate threat to the safety of the officers or others, and ... is actively resisting arrest or attempting to evade arrest by flight." Particularly with armed assailants, the standard governing "imminent harm" recognizes that these decisions must often be made in the most chaotic and brief encounters.

Under these standards, police officers should not shoot unarmed suspects or rioters without a clear threat to themselves or fellow officers. That even applies to armed suspects who fail to obey orders. Indeed, Huntsville police officer William "Ben" Darby recently was convicted for killing a suicidal man holding a gun to his own head. Despite being cleared by a police review board, Darby was prosecuted, found guilty and sentenced to 25 years in prison, even though Darby said he feared for the safety of himself and fellow officers. Yet law professors and experts who have praised such prosecutions in the past have been conspicuously silent over the shooting of an unarmed woman who had officers in front of and behind her on Jan. 6.

Byrd went public soon after the Capitol Police declared "no further action will be taken" in the case. He proceeded to demolish the two official reviews that cleared him.

Byrd described how he was "trapped" with other officers as "the chants got louder" with what "sounded like hundreds of people outside of that door." He said he yelled for all of the protesters to stop: "I tried to wait as long as I could. I hoped and prayed no one tried to enter through those doors. But their failure to comply required me to take the appropriate action to save the lives of members of Congress and myself and my fellow officers."

Byrd could just as well have hit the officers behind Babbitt, who was shot while struggling to squeeze through the window.

Of all of the lines from Byrd, this one stands out: "I could not fully see her hands or what was in the backpack or what the intentions are." So, Byrd admitted he did not see a weapon or an immediate threat from Babbitt beyond her trying to enter through the window. Nevertheless, Byrd boasted, "I know that day I saved countless lives." He ignored that Babbitt was the one person killed during the riot. (Two protesters died of natural causes and a third from an amphetamine overdose; one police officer died the next day from natural causes, and four officers have committed suicide since then.) No other officers facing similar threats shot anyone in any other part of the Capitol, even those who were attacked by rioters armed with clubs or other objects.

Legal experts and the media have avoided the obvious implications of the two reviews in the Babbitt shooting. Under this standard, hundreds of rioters could have been gunned down on Jan. 6 - and officers in cities such as Seattle or Portland, Ore., could have killed hundreds of violent protesters who tried to burn courthouses, took over city halls or occupied police stations during last summer's widespread rioting. In all of those protests, a small number of activists from both political extremes showed up prepared for violence and pushed others to riot. According to the DOJ's Byrd review, officers in those cities would not have been required to see a weapon in order to use lethal force in defending buildings.

Politico reported that Byrd previously was subjected to a disciplinary review when he left his Glock 22 service weapon in a bathroom in the Capitol Visitor Center complex. He reportedly told other officers that his rank as a lieutenant and his role as commander of the House chambers section would protect him and that he expected to "be treated differently."

In the Babbitt shooting, the different treatment seems driven more by the identity of the person shot than the shooter. Babbitt is considered by many to be fair game because she was labeled an "insurrectionist." To describe her shooting as unjustified would be to invite accusations of supporting sedition or insurrection. Thus, it is not enough to condemn her actions (as most of us have done); you must not question her killing.

Like many, I condemned the Jan. 6 riot (along with those who fueled the unhinged anger that led to the violence) as the desecration of our Capitol and our constitutional process. But that doesn't mean rioting should be treated as a license for the use of lethal force, particularly against unarmed suspects. The "job" of officers, to which Byrd referred, often demands a courage and restraint that few of us could muster. As shown by every other officer that day, it is a job that is often defined by abstinence from rather than application of lethal force. It was the rest of the force who refrained from using lethal force, despite being attacked, that were the extraordinary embodiments of the principles governing their profession.

Jonathan Turley is the Shapiro Professor of Public Interest Law at George Washington University. You can find his updates on Twitter @JonathanTurley.

More in Judiciary
Supreme Court could undermine freedom of the press
Democrats' Jan. 6 subpoena-palooza sets dangerous precedent
Why is the Supreme Court rejecting executive authority over immigration?
We're down to our last line of defense against mass evictions
On workers' rights, ideology overrules California voters
Privacy Policy Terms & Conditions
Contact Subscriptions Advertise
The Hill 1625 K Street, NW Suite 900 Washington DC 20006 | 202-628-8500 tel | 202-628-8503 fax

The contents of this site are © 1998 - 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2021 02:40 AM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
once again cdtm will not directly address his own failure, because he's a ridiculous time waster troll

A white woman condemned by civil rights groups and the DoJ, color me surprised.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2021 02:41 AM
StyleTime

*snipped for space*

All that did was support what I pointed out to you: it wasn't just an internal investigation as you claimed. You could have just said "Oh, my bad." I mean, it did look like an internal affair for a second, so no one would have taken issue with the mistake.

What were you trying to say, specifically, with this article?

The only point I can see here is an incredibly stupid one, and I'm trying to give you more credit than that. This writer's idea that the cop couldn't tell if Babbit was armed or not is ridiculous. She was storming the Capitol and closing in on members of Congress -- the fact that he dislikes her being called an insurrectionist doesn't change that she was, factually, an insurrectionist.

I don't like that she died either, but also, don't storm the Capitol.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 1st, 2021 at 06:09 AM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2021 06:00 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Klaw
Sigma Male

I have to say I'm not surprised.

If it was a BLM or Antifa that got shot, the media and the Left would be going crazy.

Simp list: samhain, Blakemore, snowdragon

If you want to anger a Conservative, lie to him.
If you want to anger a Liberal, tell him the truth.

KMC is a Left Wing echo chamber; just like Reddit and Twitter.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2021 03:15 PM
Klaw is currently offline Find more posts by Klaw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yup, cities would be burning while the media and democrats called them "mostly peaceful" protests.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2021 03:18 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by StyleTime
All that did was support what I pointed out to you: it wasn't just an internal investigation as you claimed. You could have just said "Oh, my bad." I mean, it did look like an internal affair for a second, so no one would have taken issue with the mistake.

What were you trying to say, specifically, with this article?

The only point I can see here is an incredibly stupid one, and I'm trying to give you more credit than that. This writer's idea that the cop couldn't tell if Babbit was armed or not is ridiculous. She was storming the Capitol and closing in on members of Congress -- the fact that he dislikes her being called an insurrectionist doesn't change that she was, factually, an insurrectionist.

I don't like that she died either, but also, don't storm the Capitol.
thumb up

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2021 03:40 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Klaw
Sigma Male

Don't storm the Capitol.

But do loot businesses, light things on fire, attack people, destroy property, riot etc.

Simp list: samhain, Blakemore, snowdragon

If you want to anger a Conservative, lie to him.
If you want to anger a Liberal, tell him the truth.

KMC is a Left Wing echo chamber; just like Reddit and Twitter.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2021 03:42 PM
Klaw is currently offline Find more posts by Klaw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yep.

#DoubleStandards

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2021 03:45 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Klaw
Don't storm the Capitol.

But do loot businesses, light things on fire, attack people, destroy property, riot etc.

You're back and you're using a weak strawman fallacy. Good job.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2021 03:47 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
You're back and you're using a weak strawman fallacy. Good job.
Yup, Klaw is back because Or called out Eon on his fantasy death threats.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2021 03:48 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

AP Delves Into Ashli Babbitt's Criminal Past

The first time Celeste Norris laid eyes on Ashli Babbitt, the future insurrectionist had just rammed her vehicle three times with an SUV and was pounding on the window, challenging her to a fight.

Norris says the bad blood between them began in 2015, when Babbitt engaged in a monthslong extramarital affair with Norris' longtime live-in boyfriend. When she learned of the relationship, Norris called Babbitt's husband and told him she was cheating.

"She pulls up yelling and screaming," Norris said in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press, recounting the July 29, 2016 road-rage incident in Prince Frederick, Maryland. "It took me a good 30 seconds to figure out who she was. Just all sorts of expletives, telling me to get out of the car, that she was going to beat my ass."

What is that racist trolls say in situations like this? Oh, yeah, "She was no angel. She had a criminal history." **** Trashli Babble, and the traitors who think she is a martyr.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2022 10:58 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Her being unhinged and a cheater who cucked her husband, I really couldn't care less about.

She was a Trumper domestic terrorist who attacked the capitol and police officers though and that's how she should be remembered.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2022 11:30 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by Robtard
Her being unhinged and a cheater who cucked her husband, I really couldn't care less about.

She was a Trumper domestic terrorist who attacked the capitol and police officers though and that's how she should be remembered.

She has a history of criminal violence. She assaulted the girlfriend of the man with whom she was cheating on her boyfriend with an SUV.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2022 05:30 AM
Adam_PoE

Ashli Babbitt's Brother Charged in Hate Crime Assault

The first time Celeste Norris laid eyes on Ashli Babbitt, the future insurrectionist had just rammed her vehicle three times with an SUV and was pounding on the window, challenging her to a fight.

Norris says the bad blood between them began in 2015, when Babbitt engaged in a monthslong extramarital affair with Norris' longtime live-in boyfriend. When she learned of the relationship, Norris called Babbitt's husband and told him she was cheating.

"She pulls up yelling and screaming," Norris said in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press, recounting the July 29, 2016 road-rage incident in Prince Frederick, Maryland. "It took me a good 30 seconds to figure out who she was. Just all sorts of expletives, telling me to get out of the car, that she was going to beat my ass."

What is that racist trolls say in situations like this? Oh, yeah, "She was no angel. She had a criminal history." **** Trashli Babble, and the traitors who think she is a martyr.

Evidently, being a bigoted criminal runs in the family.

A man facing battery and hate-crime charges for attacking a utility worker last year near Ocean Beach while hurling racial slurs is the brother of Ashli Babbitt, the San Diego woman who was shot and killed by a police officer January 6, 2021 inside the U.S. Capitol.

Roger Stefan Witthoeft Jr., 33, was arraigned March 1st on misdemeanor charges of battery with a hate crime enhancement and violating the victim's constitutional rights by threat of force, according to the San Diego City Attorney's Office. He pleaded not guilty in San Diego Superior Court.

Witthoeft shoved and tried to punch a San Diego Gas & Electric traffic controller last September while shouting "a number of racial slurs" at the victim, who is Latino, and telling him to "go back to your country you ****ing immigrant," according to the City Attorney's Office.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2022 09:57 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Ashli Babbitt's Brother Charged in Hate Crime Assault

Evidently, being a bigoted criminal runs in the family.

A man facing battery and hate-crime charges for attacking a utility worker last year near Ocean Beach while hurling racial slurs is the brother of Ashli Babbitt, the San Diego woman who was shot and killed by a police officer January 6, 2021 inside the U.S. Capitol.

Roger Stefan Witthoeft Jr., 33, was arraigned March 1st on misdemeanor charges of battery with a hate crime enhancement and violating the victim's constitutional rights by threat of force, according to the San Diego City Attorney's Office. He pleaded not guilty in San Diego Superior Court.

Witthoeft shoved and tried to punch a San Diego Gas & Electric traffic controller last September while shouting "a number of racial slurs" at the victim, who is Latino, and telling him to "go back to your country you ****ing immigrant," according to the City Attorney's Office.

Oh, Trumpers....

Old Post Mar 10th, 2022 10:45 PM