KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Prey

Prey
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « First ... « 7 8 [9]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

i cannot wait for the sequel then all the morons will shit their panties

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Sep 1st, 2022 03:09 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lestov16

I'm legit shocked that they were able to reboot the franchise after Shane Black's unwatchably stupid dumpster fire, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where it goes next. I personally rank this film 7.9-8/10

This wasn't a reboot exactly, this was a prequel. We could find it's in the same continuity of the first two films, eventually.

And there have been two failed reboots before this - Shane Blacks' from 2018 and the Robert Rodriguez-backed one from 2010.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2022 02:35 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by Psychotron
No, I watched the 2022 one. You know, the cheap rehash of the original Predator with all of the cool mercenary characters replaced by boring-ass injuns. A movie where a skinny little girl slaughters multiple men in melee combat and defeats a 7'5 alien, which can go H2H with a bear, in the most convoluted way possible. That Prey.

I don't have a problem with native Americans going up against Predator. I do have a problem with how they handled it. That girl had plot armor thicker than a battleship. When she hit her head fighting that wild mountain lion, she got fast traveled by her brother safely like she'd ****ed up a tutorial in an RPG.

Like, the point of Pred 1 is that even Dutch, AKA the Arnie himself, can't deal with Predator. His victory was nearly defeat many times, and it established that when a Predator shows up, everyone is in serious danger. Pred 2 kept the same trend going, although Predators lost it, and The Predator is a dumpster fire which Shane Black should be executed for.

When you have this Predator OHKOing a bear with his bare hands and then lifting it easily, there's no way a thin girl is going to stand a chance except through extreme plot convenience. Which is pretty much what we got.

Originally posted by riv6672
^^^So…you wanted the film about the alien hunting humans to be realistic.
Riiiight, right-right-right gotcha;
that’s a perfectly understandable, valid, and not even remotely silly POV.

It's not. Some level of believability has to be present in order for the creature to have maximum effect. In the first film we learn how it hunts, how its technology works, how smart and tough it is, how deadly, and that it has weaknesses. If it bleeds, we can kill it.

Compare this with the Predator, where Super Pred can take shots like a video game boss. Was that okay because sci fi movie? Should I turn off my brain, smoke up, and just eat popcorn and giggle? Why do I need such low standards to enjoy my media? Can't I call out bullshit when I see it?

The first film was intelligently written, well paced, and an effective, classic piece of work. Prey isn't horrible; some parts are actually nice. But it's only better in comparison with the slop we get on a regular basis these days. I've seen people say it's better than the first film and nearly went into a backflip rolling my eyes so hard.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2022 06:41 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I enjoyed it more on a rewatch, still not a very good film though, but it has enough to keep you at least somewhat entertained start to finish

Still the 4th best film in the Franchise after Predator, Predators and Predator 2, imo.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 6th, 2022 07:49 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

2nd best Predator movie after the original, usurping Predator 2 (which I thoroughly enjoy), although it is close.

My reasoning?
- [SPOILER - highlight to read]: I never thought a fight between a grizzly bear and a Predator was something I'd want to see, but, boy oh boy, this film gave it to me and more.
- [SPOILER - highlight to read]: The French trappers showing up halfway through was a great twist, and with them the Raphael Adolfino flintlock pistol easter egg as well.
- Naru was not a Mary-Sue, but rather had to take her licks and use her perceived weakness as "Prey" to outsmart and take down the Predator herself.
- I actually cared about the relationship between Naru and her brother. Both had solid character development, especially Naru.
- The action set-pieces were blended well between all-out action and suspense, just like the original.

Solid 8/10 flick, great action sci-fi thriller.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2022 06:43 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote