KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » House of the Dragon

House of the Dragon
Started by: jaden_2.0

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I appreciate the indepth explanations. Pretty cool stuff you don't really ever see translated anywhere (even more seemingly accurate medieval games/movie settings). That tidbit about the shield being neigh pointless is especially wild. I never understood why anyone would want to forgo that in favor of a big/heavy greatsword that left them open. I'd also assume most people back then couldn't afford chainmail though, let alone full suits of armor. That's probably where shields come in. Peasants covered in leather. Kind of kills the cool factor of your stereotypical sword and board knight though.

I'm actually looking up differences and stats in swords rn. A simple arming sword is around 2.5lbs. A longsword is around 3lbs, and a greatsword is around 6 lbs. None are as heavy as I would have assumed (them being long pieces of iron). The greatsword especially. I'm sure it wears on you as you swing, but I figured it'd be something insane like 20 lbs if even Gregor was getting tired one handing it. That or he has a special bigger greatsword made specifically for him. Not completely out of the question since he's been described as cleaving through multiple people around him in full out battles.

When you say kino, you mean kinaesthetics? That's actually something I specialize in IRL as a career (though obviously not in terms of medieval combat or anything). Where'd you learn specifics? I wouldn't mind a good book on that tbh (my reading time has opened up considerably recently). Or do you just have an interest in medieval combat and picked up trivia over the years?

If you're interested look into brigadine armor.

Essentially was pieces of armor instead full plate, the armor for people on a budget. You never, EVER see it in movies or tv.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2022 06:42 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by cdtm
If you're interested look into brigadine armor.

Essentially was pieces of armor instead full plate, the armor for people on a budget. You never, EVER see it in movies or tv.

Brigadine style armor was worn in Game of Thrones...

(please log in to view the image)

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Dec 5th, 2022 06:57 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaden_3.0

You see it on occasion

Some movies are pretty decent for armour and weapon accuracy

Says Shad

Old Post Dec 5th, 2022 07:23 PM
Jaden_3.0 is currently offline Click here to Send Jaden_3.0 a Private Message Find more posts by Jaden_3.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Is that pic form Ironclad (2011)?

Had forgotten that kilts were not around during Braveheart.

Gibson wore Brigadine style armor:

Last edited by Robtard on Dec 7th, 2022 at 01:08 AM

Old Post Dec 7th, 2022 01:02 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaden_3.0

Originally posted by Robtard
Is that pic form Ironclad (2011)?

Had forgotten that kilts were not around during Braveheart.

Yes and you should definitely watch Outlaw King if you haven't already. Aaron Taylor Johnson is an absolute savage in it as James "The Black" Douglas (My father was named after him)

Old Post Dec 7th, 2022 01:16 AM
Jaden_3.0 is currently offline Click here to Send Jaden_3.0 a Private Message Find more posts by Jaden_3.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I watched Outlaw King back in late 2018 or early 2019 on your recommend, I really enjoyed it. I would have watched it had I seen it on the Netflix scroll, as that's my type of film, but thanks again thumb up

AT Johnson is very good with the right role, it's a shame they're apparently going to neuter his Kraven the Hunter character, if the rumors are true. He would do that role justice with the proper writing.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2022 12:21 AM
DanielJohnso
Restricted

Account Restricted

House of the Dragon good article

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2023 10:24 AM
DanielJohnso is currently offline Click here to Send DanielJohnso a Private Message Find more posts by DanielJohnso Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

season 2 will be 2 episodes short and season 3 will be greenlit....

https://deadline.com/2023/03/house-...hbo-1235312044/

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Mar 29th, 2023 02:02 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaden_3.0

S2 delayed cos of the WGA strike.

Old Post May 10th, 2023 12:24 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Yeah, this writer's strike is a bummer.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2023 12:43 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

S2 being pushed to 2024 is balls. Just balls.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2023 04:38 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Jaden_3.0
You see it on occasion

Some movies are pretty decent for armour and weapon accuracy

Says Shad

Excalibur shifty [SPOILER - highlight to read]: isn't

Old Post Jun 7th, 2023 10:42 AM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

What do you mean knights didn't prance around in super shiny gleaming armor all day?

Do love Excalibur though. A childhood favorite. Younger Helen Mirren too smile

Old Post Jun 7th, 2023 05:38 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

What do you mean knights didn't prance around in super shiny gleaming armor all day?

Do love Excalibur though. A childhood favorite. Younger Helen Mirren too smile
Great film, Plate Armour didn't exist till centuries later though.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2023 06:37 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Aye. But having them in chain and leather wouldn't have been as romantic.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2023 04:14 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Aye. But having them in chain and leather wouldn't have been as romantic.
I think some people might disagree shifty Didn't you see that terrible Dan Ackroyd film East of Eden.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2023 05:53 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

'Exit to Eden' and I have laughing out loud

Going to add it to my digitial library for the poster alone.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2023 07:15 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

'Exit to Eden' and I have laughing out loud

Going to add it to my digitial library for the poster alone.
Dana Delaney was very pretty in those days.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2023 05:15 AM
jaden_2.0
Awful

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2023 02:38 AM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

thumb up

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2023 09:00 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote