KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Can Luke's character be salvaged?

Can Luke's character be salvaged?
Started by: Eli Vanto

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Total Warrior
Wasn't there any SW expert in Ryan's stuff that told him to stop when he came up with his shitty idea?

"I'd like to have an emotionaly conflicted Luke--"
"No Ryan no **** you, it's not how Luke works"

Mark Hamill kinda did tell him that. But was probably too late by the time Hamill saw the script.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2021 10:47 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Rian's whole style is about "subverting expectations".

Looking at both R1 and Solo (not to mention the recent and upcoming work by Filoni and Favreau), I think it's safe to say that Sequel Trilogy could have easily been handled hundreds of times better.

You guys better hope Rian will not return:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Un...ar_Wars_trilogy

Old Post Dec 13th, 2021 10:55 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

The ST would have been bad with or without Rian.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2021 01:45 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Even that wouldnt justify it.

In ANH Lukes adopted parents were murdered by the Empire. Then Ben by Vader. Did Luke give up, become a loner and go into depression?

Then think how that was an untrained Luke, and the sequels were supposed to give as Luke as a true Jedi Master. Perhaps the best ever.

That's the other thing. You can't even blame his cynicism in TLJ on the fallout from tragic events, and have Luke grow as a character in the interim. Because we're shown in TLJ that even at the height of his accomplishment, he fails at all of the same trials that he'd already overcome in the OT. In some ways, he continues to come short of himself even after TLJ. If any media has post-RotJ Luke evolve into anything other than a disappointment, then it's pretty much contradicting the film.

Last edited by NewGuy01 on Dec 14th, 2021 at 01:58 AM

Old Post Dec 14th, 2021 01:54 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

Even that wouldnt justify it.

In ANH Lukes adopted parents were murdered by the Empire. Then Ben by Vader. Did Luke give up, become a loner and go into depression?

Then think how that was an untrained Luke, and the sequels were supposed to give as Luke as a true Jedi Master. Perhaps the best ever.

Yeah true. I think it’d be an improvement though. Your wife and child being murdered by your nephew would certainly have a larger impact than losing your aunt and uncle. Especially if it’s your fault that your nephew fell to the dark side in the first place.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2021 02:57 AM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by xPRIMEx
Yeah true. I think it’d be an improvement though. Your wife and child being murdered by your nephew would certainly have a larger impact than losing your aunt and uncle. Especially if it’s your fault that your nephew fell to the dark side in the first place.

Remember though Kylo hadnt murdered anyone yet.

Still, even say that were true, how does that justify giving up, and letting Snoke/Palpatine take over the Galaxy?

If anything his lesson from that scenario would be the Jedi were onto something with that No Attachment rule.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2021 01:05 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by NewGuy01

There is bad and there is awful.

Rian's humour in the first scene was worse than any Scary Movie, which was considered to be an impossible feat.

Then he exposed us to this:

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 14th, 2021 05:52 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Yeah it was clearly trying to repeat the OT from the start which was a terrible idea.

First one made bank of course. But the whole nostalgia thing is a one time trick. But then youre stuck for the rest of the trilogy.

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
There is bad and there is awful.

Rian's humour in the first scene was worse than any Scary Movie, which was considered to be an impossible feat.

Then he exposed us to this:

(please log in to view the image)

Yuk

Old Post Dec 14th, 2021 06:19 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Yeah it was clearly trying to repeat the OT from the start which was a terrible idea.

That's indeed bad enough on its own, and it's made worse by the fact that there was never so much as a general outline for the trilogy's plot. Concluding a 9-film series with a trilogy by three different writers, who were each bid to improvise the story as they went along, is among the worst ideas I've ever heard. Worse yet, they didn't even go through with it, and now the whole thing feels like an back-and-forth argument between Rian and Abrams over who the characters are, and what the story was supposed to be about.

TLJ was a sour turning point, but in retrospect, I think J.J. did more harm than Rian between how he started the trilogy with an ANH copy paste, and how he decided to follow up TLJ by trying to undermine Rian's direction.

Last edited by NewGuy01 on Dec 14th, 2021 at 08:56 PM

Old Post Dec 14th, 2021 08:49 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

The worst part is that it has happened and we're stuck with it... and there's no good way to retcon or reboot it, since Carrie's gone and Hamill is not willing to be included in large projects again...

Old Post Dec 15th, 2021 01:34 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

TLJ was a sour turning point, but in retrospect, I think J.J. did more harm than Rian between how he started the trilogy with an ANH copy paste, and how he decided to follow up TLJ by trying to undermine Rian's direction.
Yeah, I've gone back and fourth with that myself.

It essentially became "Rian's vision v.s JJ's vision"... Which just didn't work. Would have likely been better in the scheme of things(from a cohesive POV) if one director had been in charge of the ST from start to finish.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Dec 15th, 2021 02:11 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

We probably would still end up being disappointed.

Filoni and Favreau will need years to repair the damage caused by those imbeciles.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2021 02:25 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Make no mistake, the ST would have still failed... Both JJ and Rian just wanted to copy/paste the OT, which is ridiculous.

Just saying that the ST would've probably made more sense overall, if one guy had been in charge from start to finish.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Dec 15th, 2021 01:38 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

They cannot do much with him now.

Sequel Trilogy should have been a new story set about 150 years later than the Original Trilogy. A young Jedi discovers ancient artifacts and awakens an ancient evil and disaster follows (or something on these lines). This could be a fresh take on Star Wars on the big screen. This route would have left much space for writers to expand on Luke Skywalker and his exploits without ruining the character.

The Nostalgia Pandering route adopted by Disney ruined Sequel Trilogy. The Directors hired for the job were lacking in vision as well. They attempted to recreate a Galactic environment similar to that of the Original Trilogy but made it infinitely worse by introducing villians who were merely puppets of Palpatine and turned Luke Skywalker into a failure only to job for Rey who herself was related to Palpatine. There is no depth and sense of accomplishment in this story.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Dec 15th, 2021 at 03:03 PM

Old Post Dec 15th, 2021 03:01 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD

Sequel Trilogy should have been a new story set about 150 years later than the Original Trilogy. A young Jedi discovers ancient artifacts and awakens an ancient evil and disaster follows (or something on these lines). This could be a fresh take on Star Wars on the big screen. This route would have left much space for writers to expand on Luke Skywalker and his exploits without ruining the character.

Nah Should have focused around Luke's Jedi Academy.

That way it's also fresh (not done before), can also include the OT characters, and whatever other Galactic shenanigans are going on it would show the OT wasn't all for nothing.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Dec 15th, 2021 at 03:23 PM

Old Post Dec 15th, 2021 03:21 PM
Darth Thor

Oh and welcome back Legend.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2021 04:47 PM
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

I agree, 30-40 years after the civil war with an older Luke would have still been the best setting. Would be a waste not to have Mark Hamill appear again. As far as I’m concerned they could have copy-pasted the Yuzhang-Vong threat, if they didn’t have original ideas. It would have been something new for canon. And they could have kept the imperial remnants as a third party, not aligned with the republic or the Vong, led by this new ambitious leader who wants to revive the old empire. Luke could have still died in a more heroic way in the second movie, ensuring the survival of the galaxy and the finally victory in the third movie

Old Post Dec 15th, 2021 06:31 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

I would have kept Rey. Well, maybe her character written a bit better, but I like the idea of a descendant of Palpatine serving as a Jedi. I would have made her a biological descendant of the emperor himself honestly, not just a clone. I think exploring how she deals with her past and her present as a Jedi would be cool. So her and Ben Solo could have been those who end the war in the final movie and will continue the work of Luke

Old Post Dec 15th, 2021 06:40 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by Galan007
Make no mistake, the ST would have still failed... Both JJ and Rian just wanted to copy/paste the OT, which is ridiculous.

Just saying that the ST would've probably made more sense overall, if one guy had been in charge from start to finish.

Yeah. As we already talked in a gazillion different threads and came to the same conclusion.

Disney wanted to replicate that unique magic responsible for the OT success.

Even if we see Marquand as a puppet director and exclude him, Kershner was a god and Lucas was Lucas.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2021 09:08 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Total Warrior
I would have kept Rey. Well, maybe her character written a bit better, but I like the idea of a descendant of Palpatine serving as a Jedi. I would have made her a biological descendant of the emperor himself honestly, not just a clone. I think exploring how she deals with her past and her present as a Jedi would be cool. So her and Ben Solo could have been those who end the war in the final movie and will continue the work of Luke

Rey and Finn were both good ideas on paper.

Rey could be the strong force sensitive being discovered and joining the Academy by the end of the first film. Essentially the Harry Potter.

Have 3 years between films, and by the 3rd one both Rey and Finn would be Jedi Knights.

Kylo was fine on paper as well. Just dont kill him after his redemption. Much more interesting to have him live with his sins. Dont just copy Vaders OT story to the letter FFS.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2021 09:22 PM