Your top 20 Sci Fi series of all time (excluding fantasy- space time related only)
I've seen some list recently of top 50 sci fis and it got me thinking
This (as I said) is for pure science related as in space, future, or time related science fictions. This BTW is live action only not cartoons or puppets
1. Blake's 7 - Avon makes this show first real tv anti-hero
2. Mandalorian - this was a no brainer and almost 1.
3. The Expanse - there are no words to describe how awesome this show is in soooo many ways, it just can't overcome my nostalgia for blakes 7 and MANDO was just that much more awesome.
4. Firefly - such a diverse crew dynamic and not the usual motives
5. Strange new worlds, finally a star trek that just pips TOS
6. Dr who - classic and timeless (no pun intended) 4th Dr always my favorite
7. ST -TOS - none of these others would even be here without it breaking the ground.
8. Babylon 5 - what a world building, not only races and political intrigue but very rich histories to all races.
9. Kill Joy's- space bounty hunters who wouldn't love it
10. Dark Matter, a crew of villains mind wiped become the heroes of the universe, not just space but an analysis of nature over nurture.
11. Time tunnel - yeah the effects would never fly today but a classic.
12. Red dwarf- Sci Fi with a laugh to boot.
13. ST, Next Gen - it rates lower than other for me because the characters are ablittle stiff/rigid compared to others. They fit a little too neatly into holes
14. Battlestar Galactica - don't even feel the need to pick a version
15. Lost in space, the Netflix remake is awesome and really should be higher on my list but I just can bring myself to bump others down.
16. V (Visitor) the 80s tv mini series event that absolutely blew my mind. That made reptilian aliens with face human skins have a Nazi like manner and the world fell under their spell.
17. ST, DS9- really looked into a different side of the federation
18. Farscape - few new tropes from the standard sci fi
19. Timeless, I'm not even sure why but I really liked this show
20. Buck Rogers- I know how cornball it was but I just can't have a list of favorite tv space related sci fis without old Buck, Twiki, cnl Dearring and Dr Theo naming the list
I considered ST, Voyager jumping to 20 ahead of Buck Rogers. I know I'm one-off the few fans of of this show. The thing is I like it for the exact opposite reason I like TPS, SNW and even Next Gen. In those shows we have a strong Captian who always seems to know what to do and makes the bold moves. In Voyager we instead have a crew of Kirk like jump into action officers all willing at some point to defy the stickler for rules prudish Capt. Jayneway succeeds because her crew does what's need to be done despite her. Problem is that makes a pretty central character undermine the purpose of being there.
I also thought space: Above and beyond would have made the list and was surprised it didn't.
So that's my top 20 space/time based lice action Sci-Fis what are yours?
For the record Obi Wan isn't here because IMHO his shownis fantasy. I might make a Fantasy and Superhero list thread later.
Last edited by beatboks on Aug 13th, 2022 at 10:33 AM
SPACE: ABOVE AND BEYOND
THE OUTER LIMITS
STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION
STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE 9
DOCTOR WHO (MODERN ERA)
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (2005)
1 - Star Trek - I'm not going to divide them up. Star Trek is my favourite franchise so it's going to be number one anyway. Rating wise:
Never watched all of TAS so can't judge it properly. As far as the newer stuff (post Enterprise), I think it all ranges from mediocre to horrendously poor, so I don't really count it at all.
After that? In loose-ish order bar the first two-three.
V (Original Mini/Series)
Sliders (Amazing show that shit the bed so hard in later seasons. Stopped it becoming a classic)
Battlestar Galactica (Remake)
The Orville (Literally the best, and closest thing to a good Star Trek show on TV right now)
Space: Above and Beyond
Now And Again
Battlestar Galactica (Original)
Doctor Who (I could take or leave a lot of it, but some of the Tennant and Smith stuff reaches incredible heights of what I consider great sci fi)
Earth: Final Conflict
The Expanse (only because I'm still way behind and trying to catch up. It's very good so far)
Torchwood (Good show even if it got real weird later on)
Terra Nova (Could have been something if it had been given the chance and the budget)
Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles
star trek tng
star trek ds9
battlestar galictica(both versions)
star trek picard
star trek strange new worlds
six million dollar man/bionic woman
lost in space
star trek voyager
Personal perspective, I guess.
For me it did.
I gave up playing soccer because training time conflicted with when season 3 and 4 aired on the ABC on Thursday night.
I have all 4 seasons on box set (compared to none of TOS, 4 Next Gen and 5 seasons of B5).
I've watched most of the seasons so many times (ironically it's probably season 1 that I've watched the least often of the 4). So maybe it held up as well for me as I've seen it almost as often as I've seen reruns of TOS.
I'm going to make another discussion topic (I found this discussion via Search) as there are some series which fall outside this discussion's set parameters.
Ok. These are the best Science Fiction (Advanced Technology) Tv Series I've Seen:
Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Person Of Interest
I recommend watching a lot of Time Travel Films and Tv Series which came out before 2009 before you get into Travelers.
It won't hold your hand.
If you've never seen Terminator 1 and 2. You really should before you get any where near watching:
Person Of Interest
I recommend watching Person of Interest After Travelers. The two shows are completely different. But.... you'll notice some thing and if you do it this way, the feeling you'll get will be more positive.
Battlestar Galactica 1979
***Battlestar Galactica The 1980s series I liked it. I found it watchable and cheesy in a good way*** YMMV
MacGyver has a few different genres, the first couple of seasons... if you like science and you like entertainment... you will be entertained.
Battlestar Galactica The 2000s Series
I'm working my way through Babylon 5 I'm going to give Stargate a chance (sometime) Right now... I'm considering starting The Expanse.
I dropped Orphan Black. I'm pretty sure she does a great acting performance. It's just too teeny and young adult for me. I bailed out in the first ep when she's in the bar or some thing having a pointless conversation with some teenage boy. I bailed on Manifest (Is it called Manifest Re-entry, whatever) Omg The Melodrama. I also bailed out on Journeyman and Life on Mars (The 1st Version). Journeyman ... As I got into it, I didn't care for the MC ... or his wife.12 Monkeys ... yes they had a great budget for high quality film equipment... unfortunately for 12 Monkeys I tried watching it right after completing Travelers... I found Continuum to be weak. Weakly written. Sense8 to be Magic/Fantasy ... Dropped it in the first episode. Life On Mars is it even science fiction. I found it to be another cop show but with a twist. I found Y The Last Man to be Hot Garbage. Maybe If I'd never read (or heard of) the Comic Book Series I'd be able to even think about it without shaking my head. I was not surprised to find out it was cancelled after only 1 season.
My Top 9 Sci Fi Tv Shows Which Fit This Discussions Set Parameters:
Knight Rider, Street Hawk, MacGyver, BSG 1979, BSG 2000s, TSCC, Travelers, Person Of Interest, Star Trek TNG.
Knight Rider isn't classified by the internet as Sci Fi.... But isn't Fully Developed Sentient Artificial Intelligence... Science Fiction.
From a writing point of view, the first season of MacGyver has more detailed focus on science in each episode than the first season of Babylon 5. (Note: The science if MacGyver is a mix of Real Science and Science That Is Fiction).
The fact is, the Shadow War ends in a bigger letdown then The Long Winter.
"Get out of my solar system!"
__________________ What CDTM believes;
Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.