KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: TV Series » Tales of The Jedi

Tales of The Jedi
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Was it really? GL went on record as saying it was his idea?

Well no Filoni said so. But I don't think he's got to the point where he just outright lies about what George says. He couldn't do that whilst George was in charge at least.

Lucas was in charge of TCW show regardless. It was HIS canon. Just because he had someone else directing, and even writing scripts, doesn't change that.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Oct 28th, 2022 at 02:01 PM

Old Post Oct 28th, 2022 01:58 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Well no Filoni said so. But I don't think he's got to the point where he just outright lies about what George says. He couldn't do that whilst George was in charge at least.

Lucas was in charge of TCW show regardless. It was HIS canon. Just because he had someone else directing, and even writing scripts, doesn't change that.

I dunno, seems kinda suspect and yeah he was in charge and had it be apart of his Canon. But I don't think he was as hands on with it, since Dave was at the helm.

But I guess this is going off the topic, so moving on.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Oct 28th, 2022 at 02:12 PM

Old Post Oct 28th, 2022 02:07 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Oh man that Inquisitor 😂😂

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Oct 28th, 2022 03:47 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yeah, the Ahsoka episodes were meh(badass as that Inquisitor looked, he was an absolute feeb)... But I thought the Dooku episodes were excellent. They also ended up going this route with Yaddle:
Originally posted by Galan007
2.) Dooku fought her at some point after the events of TPM. Though in that case he'd literally *have* to kill her, otherwise she would inform the Council and risk prematurely exposing Dooku as a Sith.
...Didn't really expect that, but the scene was very well-done, imo.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Oct 28th, 2022 04:30 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

yeah I like Dooku much more after these episodes

Old Post Oct 28th, 2022 07:38 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Originally posted by juggernaut74
That room Dooku and Yaddle are fighting appears to be the same one Dooku and Sidious were having their conversation in at the end of AOTC.
Looks like I was correct.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2022 07:56 PM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Dooku episodes were good. Ahsoka episodes were poor. And they absolutely wasted that great villain design...

It also continues the trend of them ignoring and contradicting material from the comics and books. This isn't a surprise, but Disney's claim that everything was all equally canon was clearly hot air.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2022 10:00 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by juggernaut74
Looks like I was correct.

Well spotted.

Originally posted by Total Warrior
yeah I like Dooku much more after these episodes

I want more that of that story ! They skipped over his first kill, and him finding out about Sidious.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2022 11:25 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Originally posted by ares834
Dooku episodes were good. Ahsoka episodes were poor. And they absolutely wasted that great villain design...

It also continues the trend of them ignoring and contradicting material from the comics and books. This isn't a surprise, but Disney's claim that everything was all equally canon was clearly hot air.
It is all canon though. The existence of retcons doesn't negate that.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2022 01:02 AM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Also that Inquisitor had what was probably the best villain design of any character in Star Wars, but then he gets killed off after like 2 minutes. What a waste.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2022 01:03 AM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by ares834
It also continues the trend of them ignoring and contradicting material from the comics and books.
Can you give some examples of things that have been retconned? I don't know shit about Disney canon tbh.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Oct 29th, 2022 02:36 AM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Sheev

Thats not what canon is though. True canon cant be retconned. A New Hope is true canon, which means it cant get retconned.

The Ahsoka novel got completely retconned, which means its claim to that title was never a particularly strong one.

At best we can place material like that as a lower tier of canon, like the old model (supposedly canon until something with a higher level retcons it).

Old Post Oct 29th, 2022 06:29 AM
Sheev
The All-Sith

You've gotta get the Legends tier system out of your head. There aren't any higher or lower forms of canon now.

So if a novel or comic book says one thing, it becomes true canon until some kind of newer material retcons it.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2022 01:10 PM
Darth Thor

^ You seem to have completely overlooked my points and jumped straight to my conclusion before making your rebuttal there.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2022 03:05 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I mean, in Disney all forms of media are on equal footing in terms of canonicity. So novels, comics, games, TV shows, films, etc... They all hold the same level of authority. You mentioned the Ahsoka novel: yes, much of it was retconned years later by TCW S07 -- but that doesn't mean it wasn't "true" canon to begin with. Continuity is fluid, and is subject to change at any time, depending on the whims of the alleged "Story Group".

Anymore I just look at SW like I look at Marvel/DC comics: everything is canon until it is overtly contracted/retconned by more recent material(ie. the most recent information = the most canon information.) So for example, if a comic were released tomorrow stating that Superman has never actually been vulnerable to Kryptonite, and he's just been faking it all these years for the lulz... Then that would become the new "true" canon within DC.

Likewise, if a novel were published next month explaining that Dooku's entire fight with Yaddle wasn't actually real, and was just an illusion that Palpatine placed in his mind to test him or w/e... Then that would become the new "true" canon within SW.

IOW, everything is canon... Until it's not. /shrug

Old Post Oct 29th, 2022 03:56 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Okay seems my entire point has been missed. Which to simplify is:

1) Can the movies be retconned? No.

2) Can novels and comics be retconned? Yes.

Ergo there is a ranking there no matter how many times Disney claims they are equally canon, thats clearly not the case.

Similarly seems to me that comics can over write source books but not the other way around. So again clear ranking.

Although tbf most the major retconning seems to have been done by Filoni 🤣🤣 so maybe its him who is the exception.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2022 04:56 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Tbf, most comic/novel writers generally tend to weave their stories into existing canon, as to avoid causing any major retcons... Which is how it should be. That doesn't make them a "lesser" form of canon, though -- the events of Darth Vader #28, for example, are just as canon to the franchise as the films themselves.

But like you said, Filoni rarely gives a shit about anything outside of his own works. He just gets to do whatever the hell he wants.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2022 05:30 PM
Darth Thor

I suppose comics and novels include the likes of Son of Dathomir and Dark Disciple. So if those are 100% canon then no reason the other comics and novels shouldnt be.

Filonis problem is he cant help but retread the same event thats already been done. Like the Ahsoka novel and Kanans Order 66 story.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2022 06:13 PM
ares834

Originally posted by Sheev

It's not merely retconning. It's flat out ignoring. Like DT said, they aren't going to have a comic that ignores the film. It's no different then the various tiers of canon in the old EU.

Originally posted by Tzeentch
Can you give some examples of things that have been retconned? I don't know shit about Disney canon tbh.

The Ahsoka novel is the big one. The main plot of the book was completely changed. Between this and TCW is was pretty much erased from continuity. Other things that seemed to have been changed are smaller details like when Dooku left the order and the fact that he was not a member of the council.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2022 11:29 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Surprised no one is talking about Dooku hand waving that ship out of the way.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2022 02:12 PM