KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » Animatrix Discussion

Animatrix Discussion
Started by: Skittles19

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
nickjs21

well, i'm sure that when a nuke got dropped in a particular area, any machine in that area was destroyed regardless of emp emissions (we're talking strictly the force of the blast here). maybe what they meant when they said that the machines were not harmed by the radiation is that no outlying machines outside of the blast area suffered anything like cancer or bubbling internal organs from the heat. i'm sure the nukes were effective to a degree, just not as much of a kick as if they were used against humans.

but i've got no answer for the emp thing.

"what we obtain too easily, we esteem too lightly." -- Thomas Paine

Old Post Jun 25th, 2003 10:56 PM
nickjs21 is currently offline Click here to Send nickjs21 a Private Message Find more posts by nickjs21 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nickjs21

ok. i can't post links apparently, but i did find an article about the EMP waves released by a nuke. i skimmed, i'll admit.

but i did find this passage interesting:

"The pulse can easily span continent-sized areas, and this radiation can affect systems on land, sea, and air. The first recorded EMP incident accompanied a high-altitude nuclear test over the South Pacific and resulted in power system failures as far away as Hawaii. A large device detonated at 400–500 km over Kansas would affect all of CONUS. The signal from such an event extends to the visual horizon as seen from the burst point."

so, i guess that means the renaissance has a plot hole.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2003 11:08 PM
nickjs21 is currently offline Click here to Send nickjs21 a Private Message Find more posts by nickjs21 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zoomonkey

thanks nick,
those were my points exactly. now why would they overlook such a glaring point as this? i guess if they didn't their whole story would crumble. i am a fan don't get me wrong, and i can overlook some mistakes but this is huge. zero one should have been a wastland from the begining. nuke it a couple times and anything that does survive physically will be incapacitated. humans march in, dismantle the remaining machines, story over. but so is the world of fiction.
still pisses me off though.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2003 01:18 AM
zoomonkey is currently offline Click here to Send zoomonkey a Private Message Find more posts by zoomonkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

men aren't stupid either. they could calculate a fire rate, to do A LOT of damage, with several nuclears. ACtually..one would be enough to take zero-one out....that's pretty silly.

World record is my favorite animatrix...what don't you get of it?
It's about an exceptional man...like it says. he manages to wake up by himself, sort of like popper. Only he ends up like a veggie

Old Post Jun 26th, 2003 07:55 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

Just looked at some info on Nuclear Blasts and this is what I found on quite a few sites:

Electro-magnetic pulse (EMP) is another effect of an aboveground or air nuclear detonation

They also mention this:

Ground burst detonations may generate EMP up to 2 miles from the point of detonation.

This was also on US Government fact sheets.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2003 03:31 AM
Sifer is currently offline Click here to Send Sifer a Private Message Find more posts by Sifer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nickjs21

the article i read was referring to nukes strictly detonated far above ground level. so i guess we can assume ground explosions don't spread the EMP much farther beyond the actual blast radius (2 miles isn't wide). that could cover up the plot hole little.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2003 03:44 AM
Dexx
wingless

why? the good humans thought of not hurting the machines TOO hard adn decided to detonate them far above ground level roll eyes (sarcastic). This doesn't cover anything.
besides...we saw nuclear blasts in there, at ground level....so...the story SIMPLY has holes

Old Post Jun 27th, 2003 04:01 AM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

Dexx you have totally misread m8. THe EMP is GREATER when in the air, not on the ground...read the post properly before replying.

Last edited by Sifer on Jun 27th, 2003 at 03:05 PM

Old Post Jun 27th, 2003 03:02 PM
Sifer is currently offline Click here to Send Sifer a Private Message Find more posts by Sifer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

Also, did you notice the word MAY in the ground detonation sentence?

Old Post Jun 27th, 2003 03:03 PM
Dexx
wingless

well..then take it the other way around. Humans are not dumb. i'm sure they would've figured it out todetonate them somehow to take more damage.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2003 07:51 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I didn't see 2nd Renaissance as being in any way realistic. Cliched and dreadful, yes, but not realistic. Asimov's Robot series- THAT seemed realistic.

It was just such a poor, shallow imitation of a story. Really poor.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 27th, 2003 08:47 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Skittles19
***** what?

man, ushgarek I'm getting a vibe that you hated the 2nd renaissance or something.....
just a wild and crazy guess tho

Old Post Jun 27th, 2003 10:02 PM
Skittles19 is currently offline Click here to Send Skittles19 a Private Message Find more posts by Skittles19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Glad you picked it up...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 28th, 2003 12:37 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

What do you expect, they had to fit in all that info into 2, 9 minute animations. Not an easy task at all.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2003 02:46 AM
zoomonkey

the point is that the information they tried to provide was grossly inaccurate. if they wanted to put more info in it they could have easily made it longer.

also, how big the emp is is almost irrellivant. the humans have so many nukes at their disposal that they could have carpet bombed the machines with H-bombs if they wanted to.

as ushgarak said, its just a bad story of the cliche apocolyptic furture that we see every where else. the wickowski's created something unique with the matrix but really dropped the ball here.

another thing i missed is the point at which the humans find time to dig 4KM under the surface and create zion. seemed like they hand their hands bussy grabbing their ankles for the machines. i doubt the machines would go to all the trouble just to keep the anomaly of the one in check. why not create a colony on the moon or mars. would be much easier to defend from the machines. that's a little off topic though.

Last edited by zoomonkey on Jun 28th, 2003 at 09:20 AM

Old Post Jun 28th, 2003 09:11 AM
zoomonkey is currently offline Click here to Send zoomonkey a Private Message Find more posts by zoomonkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

Thats because the Humans NEVER BUILT ZION. Thats the whole point of the 2nd film - it shows us that the machines do it for them smile It's all just another system of control.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2003 03:31 PM
zoomonkey

they never specifically say that the machines created it for them. what i got from it was that the machines mearly allow it to exist as a system of control of the one.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2003 06:52 PM
nickjs21

either way, zion isn't created during the period that second renaissance takes place. morpheus says that the first one (of whom he believes neo is the second coming) came after the matrix, and "freed the first of us."

you've got a point with the carpet-bombing thing, though. oh well. i thought it was entertaining at least, if you can ignore science for a while.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2003 07:25 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

What Morpheus says is completely irrelevant because that was the fifth One and Sixth Zion; we are interested in the ORIGINAL zion here.

BtVS

Old Post Jun 28th, 2003 08:07 PM
zoomonkey

so who created zion origonally is still up for dibate. man, machine who? also, as we saw in matriculated there appear to be some human bases on the surface, so apparently the humans didn't completely abandon the surface.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2003 10:35 PM