KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Terminator Movies » Terminator timeline?

Terminator timeline?
Started by: guinessmen

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
barand1

Sorry, by going by that, John would be 19 in T3 as it is set in 2004, not 2005 sorry. Right? erm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/trailermaker/view/7frbbc

Last edited by barand1 on Aug 16th, 2006 at 11:05 AM

Old Post Aug 16th, 2006 10:58 AM
barand1 is currently offline Click here to Send barand1 a Private Message Find more posts by barand1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FoxMeister
Tank

On T2 special features DVD thing it says he was 10 but in T3 John Conner says he was 13 when the terminater came. I think its just wacko

Old Post Aug 16th, 2006 01:04 PM
FoxMeister is currently offline Click here to Send FoxMeister a Private Message Find more posts by FoxMeister Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
barand1

I think the writers of T3 were going by Furlong's age instead of the character he was playing, John. A mistake.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2006 02:52 PM
barand1 is currently offline Click here to Send barand1 a Private Message Find more posts by barand1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chriscaffee

The problem also stems from the fact that while John Connor is ten on paper, in the movie, his maturity and intelligence suggest a preteen.

When I look at T2 and T3, I like to think of them as "inspired" rather than direct sequels. They are "based on events similar enough to the original." Then I can ignore the discontinuities and enjoy the films for their merits rather then having to face the fact that they invalidate the first movie, which is the best of the three.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2006 06:27 PM
chriscaffee is currently offline Click here to Send chriscaffee a Private Message Find more posts by chriscaffee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vvvrulz
The Last Scorpion

Maybe the should have done away with labelling them T2 and T3.

Instead say.. The Terminator: Judgement Day.. etc.
Implying as you said, that they aren't really sequels but more like a different tale altogether.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...&forumid=55

Old Post Aug 17th, 2006 03:33 AM
vvvrulz is currently offline Click here to Send vvvrulz a Private Message Find more posts by vvvrulz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu
Exit Prophet Enter Praylu

I like to think of Terminator 1 & 2 as two seperate pieces of the same puzzle and the third as a spin-off.

SPIDER-MAN 3 DIRECTOR'S CUT PETITION HERE

Old Post Aug 18th, 2006 12:32 AM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Homemaker 101

Smile Someone smart plz help

OK first off I am new to this forum. I found it after googling a topic about the Terminator movies. I read all the posts and wanted to join. I have a stupid question, and as I am a middle aged house wife, can someone plz answer in laymans language, as you all seem quite smart on here but I need to be told the answer like I am a 6 year old. I love the Terminator movies and could watch them over and over a zillion times. BUT...how in the world is KYLE REESE the father of JON CONNOR? For the life of me I cannot wrap my pitiful brain around it. Sarah asked Reese of he seen this war when she did her first field dressing. He answers NO..he grew up after it. AND how is he her baby's daddy, if ...IF he dies when he gets sent back in time? HOW could he even have been in the future if he died in the past?
HOW??? Gawd... someone plz tell me so an old lady can sleep at night! It has been on my mind for years now. thanks in advance.

Old Post May 27th, 2007 04:56 PM
Homemaker 101 is currently offline Click here to Send Homemaker 101 a Private Message Find more posts by Homemaker 101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Demon_Mustang

Ok Homemaker, not sure if you still check this, but here is an answer. It's not THE answer, it's just one that is somewhat logical (not really) and somewhat makes sense.

Basically, whatever happens in the present will change the future. That's the whole theme of the movie, "There's no fate but what we make for ourselves." So basically, Kyle was sent back, does the boogy woogy with Sarah, and she has John. If Kyle hasn't been sent back, Sarah would have been in a totally different place and probably would have met someone else, either at a later time or at the same time, but because of Kyle, that kind of altered John in the future but not his fate since Sarah made sure she raised him to accomplish this.

Yes, it is a little bit of circular reasoning, a better question would not be how Kyle is John's father since you can always reason that someone else could have been John's father if Kyle wasn't there but would John really be a great military leader if Sarah wasn't made aware of the future because of Kyle which resulted in her getting John ready for the position? What if T1 and T2 would have never happened, but John is still born, what if he grew up to be a big wuss because he lived a sheltered and peaceful life in LA? Isn't it BECAUSE of the Terminators that Sarah got all buff and into weapons to train John to survive on his own?

Anyway, for those of you still confused over the timeline and John's age in the movie, here's something to settle it once and for all. This is a screen cap from Terminator 2 when the T1000 does an inquiry into John Connor on the police database:

Ok, I just found out I'm not allowed to post pictures since I'm not "well known" enough. But if anyone is interested in seeing the screen cap, please let me know. Or if anyone wants to get it from me who can post pictures to post it so everyone can see, let me know.

But anyway, what it shows is that John was born 02/28/1985 and his current age is 10 years old. So John is 10 in T2 and it is 1995, mystery solved.

Also, DO NOT go by T3 for any of your information. They get EVERYTHING wrong. John is supposed to be 10 in T2, the ACTOR Edward Furlong was 13 when they shot the movie. In T3, in the beginning, John's character said he was 13 when T2 happened. THIS IS SIMPLY WRONG. The makers of T3 didn't even watch T1 and T2 it seems, so please don't go by anything you saw in T3. Also, stop calling Arnold's character a T101! That's another mistake by the makers of T3. He is a T800 model 101!

I never bought the T3 DVD (I have both 1 and 2), but from what I hear, they actually went back and changed that scene so Arnold correctly says "T800" instead of T101...

Trust me, there is just so much wrong with T3, it's not even funny. Don't get me started...

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 08:47 PM
Demon_Mustang is currently offline Click here to Send Demon_Mustang a Private Message Find more posts by Demon_Mustang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
U Neek
Mr

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Demon_Mustang
Basically, whatever happens in the present will change the future. That's the whole theme of the movie, "There's no fate but what we make for ourselves."

But anyway, what it shows is that John was born 02/28/1985 and his current age is 10 years old. So John is 10 in T2 and it is 1995, mystery solved.

I never bought the T3 DVD (I have both 1 and 2), but from what I hear, they actually went back and changed that scene so Arnold correctly says "T800" instead of T101...

Trust me, there is just so much wrong with T3, it's not even funny. Don't get me started...

Hey there Demon_Mustang. Thanks for your post. You made some interesting points and raised a couple of issues...

Please do not think T1 and T2 are perfect; they are far from this. Whilst I am not a huge fan of T3 (Ahnold will testify to this) I would take the T3 released over no T3 at all...

Yes the timeline in T3 is messed up but it was just as messed up in T2. In T2, John is supposed to be 10 years old, you are correct. And when the T1000 does a search on John, yup, the computer screen shows he was born in 1985, making him 10 in T2 if the film is set in 1995 (like you said it is...)

However (and this has been mentioned somewhere on one of the other threads), when Sarah questions Terminator in regards to Judgement day, this is what Terminator says about Cyberdyne:

"In three years Cyberdyne will become the largest supplier of military computer systems."

So lets assume by this statement that Terminator means 3 years from when he's talking to Sarah...So that means in 1998 Cyberdyne will become blah blah blah (1995 + 3 years = 1998). Because we are all led to believe that this film is set in 1995 when John is 10.

In the same conversation with Sarah, Terminator goes on to say:

"The Skynet funding bill is passed. The system goes on-line August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn, at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. eastern time, August 29. In a panic, they try to pull the plug."

Terminator says that Skynet becomes self aware at a date which is 2 years away from when it is talking to Sarah...So that must mean Cyberdyne become "the largest supplier of military computer systems" in a wasteland right?

Wrong! Cameron, as much as I think he is a genuis seems to have messed up here. One simple figure, just that "3 years from now" statement...If James had changed that 3 to a 2, then the timeline would have seemed perfect.

The film was set in 1995, John was meant to be 10 in the movie (although I mistook him for being a teenager) and the timeline was just as screwed in T2 as it is in T3.

U

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 09:10 PM
U Neek is currently offline Click here to Send U Neek a Private Message Find more posts by U Neek Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
barand1

Never really thought of that. Well done U, give yourself a pat on the ol' back.

"The Skynet funding bill is passed. The system goes on-line August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn, at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. eastern time, August 29. In a panic, they try to pull the plug."

One of my favourite lines said in the film. Love it!

Old Post Aug 1st, 2007 06:56 AM
lyrael

So here´s something new to think about, In the pilot of the new series Sarah Connor chronicles. Its now 1999, sarah and jon have fled to new mexico where they are found by a terminator, a definding female terminator from the year 2027 brings them to a bank where engineers sent from the future back to 1965 have built a weapon and a time machine in the vault. Sarah destroy the evil terminator with the weapon just as they jump to 2007 where they are going to try to find and destroy skynet before its finished. The female defending terminator mentions that skynet nukes the world april 19th 2011 .

Is it just me or does the timeline just keep chaning over and over :P

Put your teeth into that!

Last edited by lyrael on Aug 1st, 2007 at 03:27 PM

Old Post Aug 1st, 2007 03:22 PM
lyrael is currently offline Click here to Send lyrael a Private Message Find more posts by lyrael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Demon_Mustang

U, I actually know all of that. There are 2 possibilities:

1. It's simply messed up.

2. Arnold meant 3 years from when development started, and when you see the part about Miles Dyson, especially the scene they cut out of the film, you learn it's been in development for probably over a year already.

Now before, I always thought it was supposed to have happened in 1994, not 1995, but then it wouldn't make sense for John to be 10, unless he's actually supposed to be 9 and they just messed up in the computer screen, but then they shouldn't have hired 13 year-old edward furlong to play a 9 year-old...

And the timeline keeps changing because they keep changing the future. In The Sarah Connor Chronicles (oh, and you just gave away the entire pilot episode BTW, thanks, you've probably ruined it for all of the people who has not seen it yet...), John tells Sarah that she's changed the future, just not enough. So that's why the timeline changes, but apparently it still happens.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2007 06:24 PM
Demon_Mustang is currently offline Click here to Send Demon_Mustang a Private Message Find more posts by Demon_Mustang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
U Neek
Mr

Originally posted by Demon_Mustang
U, I actually know all of that. There are 2 possibilities:

1. It's simply messed up.

2. Arnold meant 3 years from when development started, and when you see the part about Miles Dyson, especially the scene they cut out of the film, you learn it's been in development for probably over a year already.

Yet again Demon_Mustang you have made a very good point!

I always assumed when Arnie says:

"In three years Cyberdyne will become..."

That Terminator meant in three years from now...But what the above could mean is what you have said: 3 years in terms of developing the Terminator CPU, the chip, etc etc.

I suppose it comes down to how a person, as an individual, interprets certain things. The mistake is when an individual does not listen to the interpretations of others on a subject, thus denying themselves the chance to listen to other ideas and opinions.

I am talking in respect to the above line. I always interpreted it as being "in 3 years from now". But from what you have written D_M, I will take it as meaning in 3 years of developing the Terminator CPU.

Thanks for posting on here. You are injecting some new ideas and fresh thoughts into the T Forum. I hope you keep posting.

U

Old Post Aug 1st, 2007 07:16 PM
U Neek is currently offline Click here to Send U Neek a Private Message Find more posts by U Neek Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PCZPhyre

I'm not sure how old this thread is, but i was trying to look up a terminator timeline to see if there are any events that i may have missed in my own timeline, saw the trouble you guys were having, so i thought id give it a shot...

May 12th, 1984
• A T-800 CSM 101 is sent back in time from the year 2029 to kill Sarah Connor.
• Kyle Reese is sent back in time from the year 2029 to protect Sarah Connor.

May 13th, 1984
• Sarah Connor becomes pregnant with John Connor.

February 28th, 1985
• John Connor is born.

June 8th, 1995
• A T-1000 is sent back in time from the year 2029 to kill John Connor.
• A duplicate T-800 CSM 101 is sent back in time from the year 2029 to protect John Connor, now 10 years old.

Without the events of Judgment Day:

Months after Terminators arrive from the future
• Miles Bennett Dyson creates the Neural Net Processor based off the CPU from the first Terminator, which was destroyed in 1984.

August 4th, 1997
• SkyNet Systems go online.

August 29th, 1997
• SkyNet Systems become self-aware and begin the nuclear war.

• Tech-Com defeats SkyNet.

With the events of Judgment Day:

June 10th, 1995
• Miles Bennett Dyson, future creator of the Neural Net Processor, is killed.
• Cyberdyne Systems’ Corporation building is destroyed.
In Result:
• The Neural Net Processor is never recreated by Miles Bennett Dyson.
• Judgment Day is delayed for about 10 years from this date to July 24th, 2004.
• The Tech-Com’s victory over the machines is delayed from the year 2029 to the year 2032.

• Sarah Connor dies of leukemia.

Sometime after the destruction of Cyberdyne
• US Department of Defense recovers contracts and patents from Cyber Research Systems and continues Cyberdyne’s artificial intelligence projects.
• General Robert Brewster oversees the construction of the SkyNet project.
• SkyNet reaches completion.
• SkyNet begins spreading viruses throughout the world.

July 23rd, 2004
• A T-X is sent back in time from the year 2032 to kill Katherine Brewster and the Tech-Com’s military lieutenants.
• A T-800* is sent back in time from the year 2032 to protect John Connor and Katherine Brewster.

July 24th, 2004
• SkyNet Systems are trusted with the US Strategic Air Command.
• SkyNet becomes self-aware and begins the nuclear war.
• Judgment Day begins, the war between man and machine starts.

• Tech-Com defeats SkyNet.

July 4th, 2032
• John Connor is killed by a T-800* in a ceremonial assassination.

*Since Cyberdyne has been destroyed, it no longer owns the patents to the machine models, which means that the terminators are no longer Cyberdyne System Models (CSM), so the Corporation model is no longer included in the make’s name.

and then here's my explanation of the ages being so screwy between the second and third films:

*In the second Terminator film John is ten years old when Cyberdyne is destroyed, which delays Judgment day for almost ten years until 2004 (9 years later, the date the third film takes place), which would make him 19. In the third film, however, John is 22. While there is no explanation for this discontinuity, one can be derived from the events of the second film, which pushed Judgment day from 1997 to 2004, and the Tech-Com victory from 2029 to 2032. These events could have also changed other dates, which could include John’s date of birth.

Last edited by PCZPhyre on Aug 1st, 2007 at 11:34 PM

Old Post Aug 1st, 2007 11:30 PM
PCZPhyre is currently offline Click here to Send PCZPhyre a Private Message Find more posts by PCZPhyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PCZPhyre

Re: Someone smart plz help

Originally posted by Homemaker 101
OK first off I am new to this forum. I found it after googling a topic about the Terminator movies. I read all the posts and wanted to join. I have a stupid question, and as I am a middle aged house wife, can someone plz answer in laymans language, as you all seem quite smart on here but I need to be told the answer like I am a 6 year old. I love the Terminator movies and could watch them over and over a zillion times. BUT...how in the world is KYLE REESE the father of JON CONNOR? For the life of me I cannot wrap my pitiful brain around it. Sarah asked Reese of he seen this war when she did her first field dressing. He answers NO..he grew up after it. AND how is he her baby's daddy, if ...IF he dies when he gets sent back in time? HOW could he even have been in the future if he died in the past?
HOW??? Gawd... someone plz tell me so an old lady can sleep at night! It has been on my mind for years now. thanks in advance.

i'll try and answer this as well...

so what i see is that youre asking how kyle could have been sent back into the past, when he was killed there, and never could have grown up into the future to be sent back into the past... yadda yadda yadda...

but what it looks like you need to hear, is that in 1984, kyle still wouldnt have been BORN for quite some time... he died in 1984, is born sometime right before the war, meets john, and john sends him back...

make sense?

Old Post Aug 1st, 2007 11:54 PM
PCZPhyre is currently offline Click here to Send PCZPhyre a Private Message Find more posts by PCZPhyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
supremeo

I don't want to burst any major bubbles here (well, i do big grin ) but, instead of focusing on timeline inconsistencies that were probably entirely accidental on behalf of the writers, not to mention that time travel + altered events = canon **** up.

Maybe we should focus on the actual existence of T2 and T3.

Kyle in police station: Only living things can travel back! blah blah the Terminator came back because it's machinery ENCASED in living tissue that's why i couldn't bring weapons (or something of the sort).

Yet, both the T-1000 and the T-X, had no living skin, they were entirely alloy, as the T-X was coated with T-1000 gunk, not skin, therefore neither were "living" and neither could have returned.

Old Post May 10th, 2009 07:08 PM
supremeo is currently offline Click here to Send supremeo a Private Message Find more posts by supremeo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vvvrulz
The Last Scorpion

You know, thats a top point. You can't really call nano technology to be 'living tissue'. Unless it somehow simulated living tissue?

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...&forumid=55

Old Post May 10th, 2009 09:10 PM
vvvrulz is currently offline Click here to Send vvvrulz a Private Message Find more posts by vvvrulz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
barand1

Or Maybe Kyle just assumed it could only be living tissue as the T-1000 and T-X didn't exsist in the future he was present in.

Old Post May 11th, 2009 07:06 AM
Jonathan_Reese

JOHN CONNOR WAS NOT 10!!!

In Terminator 2 Judgment Day, Everyone always seems to think that John Connor was portayed as a 10 year old boy in the film. This is not neccesarily so at all. Even on wikipiedia which really upsets me, becasue this is an incorrect and assumption which was completely looked over too quickly. Somebody jumped the gun on that assesment.
If you want to to use a 5 second shot of a computer screen in a police car to prove that John Connor is supposed to be portrayed as a 10 year old then at least do your homework on the subject!. When someone commits a crime, their name is recorded into the police system, also their age at the time the crime was commited, Address, Height, Weight, ect,ect. Now if you want to get technical, in the movie T2: Judgment Day. The computer screen in the police cruiser says "Vandalism", it also says "Age: 10". Has anyone ever thought that may only be his age at the time of the incident??? He rides a Dirtbike around, Plays Intense combat simulation arcade games, and is smart enough to hack into an ATM machine for "easy money". I seriously doubt he'd be wasting his time vandalising at his age, which obviously IS NOT 10. Also regarding Police Enforcement records, when it comes to your actuall age they simply only record your Date of Birth. They do not keep a constant running count of everybody's current age filed away in the system, that's just rediculous and would be a waste. Also if he just committed an act of vandalism at age 10 (and it's pretty hard to imagine anyone younger than 10 vandalising) and if he was still 10 in the film, that would mean he just recently got caught vandalising. And if he just recently got in trouble with the police he would probably be grounded or something in the film and I doubt his foster parents would be letting him go a month without cleaning his room, having a friend over listening to music, riding his dirtbike and playing arcades. Also right after the T-1000 accesses John's criminal record, he goes to John's house where he meets his foster parents is asked "What's he done now officer?" implying that john has been in trouble with the law in the PAST, but not neccisarily recently.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 02:45 PM
Jonathan_Reese is currently offline Click here to Send Jonathan_Reese a Private Message Find more posts by Jonathan_Reese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

I believe John is 10 in T2, cause if he was 12 it would be 1997 and judgment day would of happened.

Old Post May 21st, 2009 10:29 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote