KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Anybody Vote Today?

Anybody Vote Today?
Started by: Xizor

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
KJ
Sausages

Re: President

Your right. And I knew EJ would have voted for Bush.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2000 03:11 AM
KJ is currently offline Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theEvilJedi

Why do you care KJ?You don't live in America.And I'm actually not a Republician if that's what your thinking.I vote for who I think is best qualified.And as much as I hate to say this,I don't think ethier of them are really all that qualified to lead our great country.sad

Obi-Wan Kenobi: (Looks up at his chains) "Good job!"

Old Post Nov 11th, 2000 05:35 AM
theEvilJedi is currently offline Click here to Send theEvilJedi a Private Message Find more posts by theEvilJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

I thought you had to be 18 to vote. So how can you vote for anybody?

Besides, KJ has a MAJOR right to care. The role of President of the United States of Amreica is widely regarded as the most powerful position in the WORLD.

What happens in US politics can have great social and economic reprocussions around the world. As possibly Amaerica's closest international ally, all Britains have been watching this with great interest.

Gore is pro-United Kingdom whilst Bush has given all indications that he holds little value in the relationship Britain and America share. This could have major impacts for imports and exports between the two countries, inter-operability of our respective military forces and many, many other ares.

Please don't take our interest too lightly.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2000 06:13 AM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Daft

We care because America has such a strong effect on the rest of the world and the difference in presidency can make a lot of difference on us, not just you.
Actually, I have no idea what I'm talking about, as I know nothing about politics.
But still, I think Ratcat's point probably explains why KJ and the rest of us non-americans would be bothered by who becomes president.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2000 06:16 AM
Darth Daft is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Daft a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Daft Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Exactly, the current situation is quite scary. I'm not sure how they can even contemplate a re-vote though. Effectively, as they know the results from the rest of the country and it's such a close thing, you are asking Floridians to decide who should be President.

IMHO, the only fair way would be to re-vote the entire country.

For the record, I would like to see Gore win because I think the Anglo/American relationship has strengthen grteatly under Clinton and Gore would continue that trend.

Whether he's the right man for America itself, I don't know.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2000 06:30 AM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

I agree with your points...especially the point made that we should have a new election...as it is it's going to become a big conflict if it all comes down to Florida...atleast that's the way it seems to be going.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2000 06:34 AM
Dim is currently offline Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

What's with those stpid polling sheets anyway. What ever happened to a piece of paper with the names and a crayon to mark an "X" nect to your candidate. That's how it's always been done here and no one EVER had a problem with it.

Those ballot papers are the strangest thing I've ever seen and very suspect if you ask me... Which no one did, but there you go.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2000 06:53 AM
Darth Daft

So, Ratcat, what did you think of those ballot papers? smile

Old Post Nov 11th, 2000 07:10 AM
Darth Daft is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Daft a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Daft Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theEvilJedi

I understand that.Your right I'm not old enough to vote but I will be soon enough.I am very interested in politics and I care about my country.While I dislike what both stand for:Gore-for abortion,Bush-agaist gun laws,I beleave Bush is the lesser of two evils as many may say.His father did a much better job than Clinton(who wasn't all that bad)and he stands for similiar things as his father.The woman who made the ballot papers made them the way she did to be creative.Honestly I think you would have to be pretty stupid not to understand the ballot(unless your a senior citizen)The presidental canidate's name has a arrow leading toward the bubble.This is just becoming one huge mess.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2000 09:13 AM
theEvilJedi is currently offline Click here to Send theEvilJedi a Private Message Find more posts by theEvilJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

EJ your comment about why I should care proved how niave you are. You and quite a few Americans your age have an attitude that if it's not happening on your doorstep then it doesn't matter. Well it does. Another reason I want Gore is that he has helped the Northern Ireland peace process. Bush probably thinks Ireland's in Africa. And did you say Bush was anti-gun? I think your wrong about that.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2000 10:42 PM
KJ is currently offline Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Actually EJ, I think you will find that Gore is NOT pro-abortion at all. What he believes is that a woman has a right to choose. It's actually quite quite a different standpoint.

As for the ballots, there is no place for ambiguity when it comes to making your vote. The names where split into two distinct columns, but the punch holes were in a single column. This meant that the second hole actually meant Buchanan, even though reading top to bottom, left to tight the second name was Gore. Arrow or not this WAS ambiguous!!!

Lastly, the ballot papers should be easy to use for anyone. Not just those with clear sight and minds. Seniors enjoy the right to vote too. You last statement is simply AGEIST.

At the end of the day it is extremely suspect that in a State that was clearly marginal and where the governor is a blood relative of one of the candidates something like this should happen.

KJ, in EJs defence he said that Bush was Anti GUN LAWS, not anti gun. Bush is Pro-Gun and Pro-the right to bear arms.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2000 02:29 AM
theEvilJedi

I still think killing an inocent being is wrong.If you don't want a child than you shouldn't have sex.It's as simple as that.After all you mother didn't vote pro-abortion.If she did that you wouldn't be here.And I don't think anyone should bear guns on less you are an officer of some sort.Guns just lead to to many acccidents.And KJ,you have been misinformed about Bush.He cares deeply about other countries and especially education.After all Texas has one of the top 5 school systems in the U.S.A.I should know.I lived there.I agree that you should care who rules America but you have the wrong information about Bush.And RC,the ballots were not as complex as many are saying they are.And the people of Florida had the choice to complain before hand having the sample in the paper.No one did.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2000 04:37 AM
Ratcat

EJ, I think the point I trying to make about Bush is not that he's anti other nations but that Gore is more focused on International relations.

As to the abortion thing, your statement about adstainance is rather naive, though morally and religiously probably sound it just isn't realistic. People will have sex and sometimes unwanted pregnancies occur.

Anyway, all that aside, you can not make abortion an illegal act and here's why. What about the woman who is raped, or the girl sexually abused by a family member. Or what about the woman who discovers she has an illness that will kill her and her baby if she attempts to carry to term. All these situations are extremes that would require the woman to make an informed decison about HER body and the small mass of cells inside. Let's face it, up until about 5-8 weeks that's all it is, a mass of cells.

Why should a MAN to tell a WOMAN whether it is right to take control of HER body. Sex is a fact of life, sex outside marraige is ALSO a FACT OF LIFE. Contraception is not always 100% reliable.

Actually, interesting question to you EJ. Should contraception be banned as well?

As for the ballotsd, again. I understand that the papers carried a picture, not a model ballot so it was not easy to get the full idea of what was expected. No one I discussed it with when I nwas in Florida had even seen a picture of the ballot.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2000 06:47 AM
theEvilJedi

But the paper did show an exact copy of the ballot. Besides the ballot came out a week before the elections and you were not in Florida at that time. Being raped is a completely different thing anyway. I think if you are raped and become pregnant that you should give the kid up for adoption not have a abortion. It's not the child's fault.It may be a mass of cells,but those mass of cells are cells of a future child. Like I said before,if you don't want the chance of becoming pregnant then you should pratice abstinance. Sex may be a natural thing but abortions are not. And how can you say Gore is better at handeling International Relations if you never saw Bush in action?

Old Post Nov 12th, 2000 07:51 AM
Dim
Creativity

Your replies are a bit naive EJ...especially on the abortion subject...you still haven't said anthing about rape and sexual abuse...this is a very grey area issue...And what the would "should" be like, and what the world really "is" like is two seperate things...and we need to make laws for the real world...

Old Post Nov 12th, 2000 09:23 AM
Dim is currently offline Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theEvilJedi

I did reply to the rape matter in my last topic.And why are my replies naive?

Old Post Nov 12th, 2000 11:39 AM
theEvilJedi

IF YOU CAN READ THIS,YOU MUST BE REPUBLICAN.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2000 12:10 PM
Dim
Creativity

Opps,sorry...I thought I had seen it but I couldn't find it in there when I read it again..

The reason your solution is naive is because this world is made up of 6 billion other people...and alot of them will not abstain...and you have to make laws for those people too..so this whole "people should abstain from sex if they don't want a child" is a glossed over personal opinion..Not to mention that making a woman, or worse yet, a young girl who's been raped carry the child to term can be a very cruel thing to do...IMHO

Old Post Nov 12th, 2000 10:37 PM
KJ
Sausages

Ratcat and Dim for President! Why is Bush pretending that he's won. All of the votes haven't been counted. There are still thousands of overseas votes to come in so he is a bit premature.
Abortion - It should be the individuals choice and not a politicians. EJ you are going on about how it is killing a life when it really isn't as it's just cells but Bush has used the death penalty like it's nothing. What's the difference? Why is it o.k for a politician to kill people who might be innocent but it's wrong for a women to want to terminate an embryo? The answer is the church who still have power in the South. It's hypicritical to carry guns, sentence people to death but still preach about the importance of life.

GUNS- Why do some Americans want guns? Wasn't that law brought in after the American Civil war so that people could defend themselves against armies. The last time I looked America wasn't at war but Bush still wants people to have guns. 40 American kids die everyday by gunshot wounds.

Enviroment- Here is a quote from Bush " It's not pollution that's harming our enviroment, it's the dirty air and water that does it" He doesn't even know what pollution is!!

If Bush is elected President then I'll lose any respect I ever had for America.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2000 11:03 PM
Jedimaster3838

Bush is a great man

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. As far as abortion goes killing is killing. If some teenager gets pregnant but doesn't want to raise a child then put it up for adoption, having an abortion is just killing. And the death penalty is needed in this country. Our prison system is a joke, murderers, rapists, thieves, go in and out every day with nothing really being done to them. With the death penalty it puts a little fear in them and it makes them think twice. And people that are put to death are never innocent, they go through so many appeals and trials that if there is any reasonable doubt they are not put to death. Bush may not be the best public speaker, but so what? I could care less if he were deaf, as long as he gets the job done, which he will. Gore couldn't even win his home state, they are the ones who know him best and they didn't give him their vote, shows how much confidence they have in their hometown boy.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2000 01:29 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote