Ewan McGregor To Play 'The Great Pretender'[Friday, September 9th, 2005]
Ewan McGregor is to star in Relativity Media's comedy The Great Pretender, according to Variety.
McGregor will play four roles in two time settings -- 1938 and 1745. The story follows two ambitious producers in the 1930s who hire the hell-raising Hollywood legend Leslie Grangely to play Bonnie Prince Charlie in a movie about Scotland's Jacobite Rebellion in the 18th century.
But when Grangely hits the bottle and disappears, they trick an unassuming extra with an uncanny likeness to the star to fill his shoes. McGregor plays Grangely and the extra, as well as the two characters they play in the film-within-a-film -- Bonnie Prince Charlie, dubbed the 'Great Pretender', and the double used by the prince to confuse his enemies.
The project, helmed and written by Peter Capaldi, starts shooting next January in London.
• Spike Lee Is To Direct James Brown Bio [MORE >>]
• Harrison Ford To Star As Indy In 'May 2008' [MORE >>]
• Ian McKellen As Narrator In Fantasy 'Stardust' [MORE >>]
• Jason Bateman In 'Tonight, He Comes' [MORE >>]
• Masi Oka To Come Into Casino Movie '21' [MORE >>]
• Angelina Jolie Confirms 'Sin City 2' Talks [MORE >>]
• Ben Stiller Planning 'Zoolander 2' Return [MORE >>]
• Jason Lee To Star In 'Krater' Comedy [MORE >>]
• Weinstein Co. To Make 'Alex & Ironic Gentleman' [MORE >>]
• Dimension Films Takes On 'Storm Warning' [MORE >>]
• Sandra Bullock In Comedy 'One Of The Guys' [MORE >>]
• John C. Reilly In Parody 'Walk Hard' [MORE >>]
• Sam Raimi To Produce 'The Shadow' [MORE >>]
• Goldberg To Write Remake 'Since Walker Left' [MORE >>]
• Andre 3000 Joins 'Semi-Pro' Comedy [MORE >>]