AOTC Breaks Mid-Week Record[Saturday, May 18th, 2002]
20th Century Fox have released the numbers for "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones". According to the studio the prequel sequel took in $30.1 million on its first day in theaters, shattering the midweek box-office record held by George Lucas' last Star Wars film, says Reuters.
The movie became one of only six films ever to exceed $30 million in ticket sales for a single day, and the first to do so at midweek.
The previous Star Wars movie 'Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace' had set the benchmark for a non-holiday, non-weekend movie opening with its $28.5 million on its first day in theaters.
Bruce Snyder, president of domestic distribution for Fox, which is the studio arm of News Corp. Ltd., said, "What you had yesterday was really fans, and you have to wait for the weekend for a lot of regular moviegoers popping in."
"There's another 800-pound gorilla out there, so that makes it just that much more of a question," Snyder said of "Clones"' prospects for beating "Spider-Man" at box offices.
• Spike Lee Is To Direct James Brown Bio [MORE >>]
• Harrison Ford To Star As Indy In 'May 2008' [MORE >>]
• Ian McKellen As Narrator In Fantasy 'Stardust' [MORE >>]
• Jason Bateman In 'Tonight, He Comes' [MORE >>]
• Masi Oka To Come Into Casino Movie '21' [MORE >>]
• Angelina Jolie Confirms 'Sin City 2' Talks [MORE >>]
• Ben Stiller Planning 'Zoolander 2' Return [MORE >>]
• Jason Lee To Star In 'Krater' Comedy [MORE >>]
• Weinstein Co. To Make 'Alex & Ironic Gentleman' [MORE >>]
• Dimension Films Takes On 'Storm Warning' [MORE >>]
• Sandra Bullock In Comedy 'One Of The Guys' [MORE >>]
• John C. Reilly In Parody 'Walk Hard' [MORE >>]
• Sam Raimi To Produce 'The Shadow' [MORE >>]
• Goldberg To Write Remake 'Since Walker Left' [MORE >>]
• Andre 3000 Joins 'Semi-Pro' Comedy [MORE >>]