Psychics are wrong?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shakyamunison
I came across this article on LiveScience.com, and thought it might make an interesting discussion. Do you believe in Psychic? I do not.

http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/071129-psychics-journalism.html

inimalist
lol

wink make a thread saying that the easter bunny doesn't exist either

OB1-adobe
My friend saw a psychic once. Back 1999. God that lady was sooooooooooooooooooo dead wrong on soooooooooooo many things

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by inimalist
lol

wink make a thread saying that the easter bunny doesn't exist either

roll eyes (sarcastic) Well, I'm waiting for Deb to get here. laughing out loud

inimalist
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
roll eyes (sarcastic) Well, I'm waiting for Deb to get here. laughing out loud

fair enough

countdown to the first mention of Quantum Physics is on....

SelphieT
Well, I used to be very into Tarot cards a couple years ago, and a lot of things I tested with them turned out to be quite accurate.

Except for when one kid asked me if he would get a "head" this weekend.

inimalist
The human brain suffers from something known as conformation bias

We seek patters naturally, and when something appears to work as a predictor of something else, we remember that. Once we have made the association between two things, we constantly remember further hits and dismiss or rationalize misses.

leonheartmm
overwhelmingly large majority of psychics are wrong/false/frauds/deluded. but very rarely, u might come across sum1 real.

debbiejo
roll eyes (sarcastic) Well, I'm waiting for Deb to get here. laughing out loud Well, don't believe everything you read........ stick out tongue

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
Well, don't believe everything you read........ stick out tongue

... that psychics write. laughing out loud

SpearofDestiny
Do you mean psychics as people who claim to predict the future, or people who claim thier minds can connect somehow to anothers ?

Zeal Ex Nihilo
I do not believe in Psychic. I believe in Grammar.

inimalist
Originally posted by SpearofDestiny
Do you mean psychics as people who claim to predict the future, or people who claim thier minds can connect somehow to anothers ?

which type do you think are credible?

Shakyamunison

What do you mean "connect somehow to anothers"?

debbiejo
like connecting... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Shakyamunison
like connecting... roll eyes (sarcastic)

confused What?

debbiejo
energies??? eek!

Shakyamunison
energies??? eek!

What energies?

SpearofDestiny
There are some people who claim to know your future by reading your palm. I don't beleive in that.

There are others who claim they can sense your aura, in some way, and know what you are feeling even from a distance. Like some kind of intuition which expands outward. I am open to the possibility of such a thing.

I've taken courses on dreams, and there's something called "Dreaming in Tandem" where two people have the same exact dream. Usually one where they were both in it, and the same events happened. This can only happen, supposedly, in people who are very close...who have almost no secrets between eachother, and who trust eachother 100%.

It's interesting. I am open to what the human mind can do. smile

chithappens
One psychic told me I would be wearing glasses one day. Then she poured acid in my eyes...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by chithappens
One psychic told me I would be wearing glasses one day. Then she poured acid in my eyes...

laughing I hate when they do that.

I had one tell me, years ago, that I would write a book. I have not done that, yet...

inimalist
There are some people who claim to know your future by reading your palm. I don't beleive in that.

There are others who claim they can sense your aura, in some way, and know what you are feeling even from a distance. Like some kind of intuition which expands outward. I am open to the possibility of such a thing.

I've taken courses on dreams, and there's something called "Dreaming in Tandem" where two people have the same exact dream. Usually one where they were both in it, and the same events happened. This can only happen, supposedly, in people who are very close...who have almost no secrets between eachother, and who trust eachother 100%.

It's interesting. I am open to what the human mind can do. smile

any even remotely plausible mechanism for how any of that happens?

because, as open to the "mind" as I am, you can't just make stuff up

Shakyamunison
...because, as open to the "mind" as I am, you can't just make stuff up

But some people can...

SpearofDestiny
any even remotely plausible mechanism for how any of that happens?

How the hell would I know ?

because, as open to the "mind" as I am, you can't just make stuff up

You're not very open. Certain things cannot be explained by conventional or modern means, and you have to accept that. If not, it's your loss, not mine.

inimalist

You're not very open. Certain things cannot be explained by conventional or modern means, and you have to accept that. If not, it's your loss, not mine.

your first answer indicates that you have no idea what conventional or modern means are, let alone what they can explain.

and no, its not my loss if i don't believe nonsense.

Shakyamunison

However, if something cannot be proven one way or the other, it is better to side with the simplest answer. The idea that people fake, imagine, or delude them selves, is a far simpler an answer to the questions you posed, then some mysterious unknown force that does not manifest its self in any other manner.

SpearofDestiny
However, if something cannot be proven one way or the other, it is better to side with the simplest answer. The idea that people fake, imagine, or delude them selves, is a far simpler an answer to the questions you posed, then some mysterious unknown force that does not manifest its self in any other manner.

Do you remember your previous PM to me ? About the dreams you have been having ?

I am confused that you could confide in me those claims, yet be skeptical when a person tells you that they have the same dream as someone else on the same night, where the same images and events occured in that dream.

Originally posted by inamilist
your first answer indicates that you have no idea what conventional or modern means are, let alone what they can explain.

You cannot experience what someone else experiences. You cannot invade another's perception, no matter what scientific method you use.

Some things cannot be explained. Whether or not they will be explainable in the future is another matter.

Originally posted by inamilist
and no, its not my loss if i don't believe nonsense.

If something can benefit you, but you are closed off to it because it does not comform to your own developed logic, than yes, it's your loss.

You have the right to beleive what you beleive, but you don't have to attack others for thier beleifs, unless thier beleifs actually offend you.

debbiejo
What energies? Vibrations like wave forms intermingle with all other vibrations, so whats to say that one persons vibration cannot pick up on another?

Shakyamunison
Vibrations like wave forms intermingle with all other vibrations, so whats to say that one persons vibration cannot pick up on another?

What vibrations? Like if I clap my hands?

Do you remember your previous PM to me ? About the dreams you have been having ?

I am confused that you could confide in me those claims, yet be skeptical when a person tells you that they have the same dream as someone else on the same night, where the same images and events occured in that dream.

I told you that I was skeptical of my own dreams. I was only using them as an illustration in our conversation.

SpearofDestiny
What vibrations?

YOU KNOW ! VIBRATIONS droolio

inimalist
You cannot experience what someone else experiences. You cannot invade another's perception, no matter what scientific method you use.

Some things cannot be explained. Whether or not they will be explainable in the future is another matter.

what can't be explained?

mind you, for you to be as open minded as you like to pretend, you would have to be just as open to the idea that what you have experienced is confirmation bias as you want me to be about your woo woo nonsense.

If something can benefit you, but you are closed off to it because it does not comform to your own developed logic, than yes, it's your loss.

actually, I avoid many things that provide the psychological benefits that religion (re: belief in psychics) give. Those are psychological benefits based on the way our brains are assembled, they have little to do with what's going on in reality. I wouldn't have to explain the placebo effect to someone as learned as you.

You have the right to beleive what you beleive, but you don't have to attack others for thier beleifs, unless thier beleifs actually offend you.

You are right, I don't HAVE to do anything

however I want to.

As I have decided to dedicate my life to understanding the human brain, I feel very sad for people who have been swindled into believing things that are so blatantly false. It is my joy to attack these things.

They don't offend me, but if you want me to be cynically pragmatic, they are a competitor whom I would like to burry.

chithappens
I think the mind is capable of A LOT. We can actually simulate senses in dreams as if we are actually feeling those things.

Reading the future though... Only possible because I can't prove it impossible.

leonheartmm
all the things mentioned and many more can happen. practically anything, at specific "level". being gifted mentally doesnt just limit u to telepathy/telekenesis/ precognition. it isnt like that. what u have is potential/energy/awarness in a sumwhat abstract way. these can be used depending on ur control or area of talent to create any number of effects.

n yea, it might be overly rare. but it exists. cant think of any MECHANISMS as yet, but sum1 told me that part of it is genetic{dont ask me HOW lol} .

debbiejo
Are you gonna make me say that word again???
blink

Shakyamunison
Are you gonna make me say that word again???
blink

Yes... evil face Then I can make fun of you. stick out tongue laughing

debbiejo
QUANTUM

Better??? angel

inimalist
Originally posted by leonheartmm
dont ask me HOW lol

wow, that just happens to be the most important question

Shakyamunison
QUANTUM

Better??? angel

What about QUANTUM? stick out tongue laughing

leonheartmm
what can't be explained?

mind you, for you to be as open minded as you like to pretend, you would have to be just as open to the idea that what you have experienced is confirmation bias as you want me to be about your woo woo nonsense.

actually, I avoid many things that provide the psychological benefits that religion (re: belief in psychics) give. Those are psychological benefits based on the way our brains are assembled, they have little to do with what's going on in reality. I wouldn't have to explain the placebo effect to someone as learned as you.

You are right, I don't HAVE to do anything

however I want to.

As I have decided to dedicate my life to understanding the human brain, I feel very sad for people who have been swindled into believing things that are so blatantly false. It is my joy to attack these things.

They don't offend me, but if you want me to be cynically pragmatic, they are a competitor whom I would like to burry.

true, most people beleive in it because they have little understanding of the physical brain. true, most people who claim such powers are frauds taking advantage of people. true, you have the most evidence to back up your claims.

however, it would be sad for you if there really was even one person in the world who was a psychic/mystic which cud truly not be explained by your perspective wudnt it. if there were more to it than met your eye or your perspective. just saying.

debbiejo
QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM

Shakyamunison
QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM QUANTUM

Well, that makes it perfectly clear. laughing

inimalist
however, it would be sad for you if there really was even one person in the world who was a psychic/mystic which cud truly not be explained by your perspective wudnt it. if there were more to it than met your eye or your perspective. just saying.

produce that one person

quite the contrary, I would not be sad. In fact, were I the one to find that person, it would essentially mean I could retire before I was 25.

debbiejo
They repitition is a good brain washing tool! cool

Hey, where'd ya go, Shaky?? Keep up with me, will ya? confused

laughing out loud

Shakyamunison
They repitition is a good brain washing tool! cool

Hey, where'd ya go, Shaky??

Use the QUANTUM to find me Deb. laughing

debbiejo
Use the QUANTUM to find me Deb. laughing laughing out loud laughing rolling on floor laughing

leonheartmm
and one which i do not have an answer to. but one which you do not have an answer for either, one that will satisfy me anyway. infact, if there was, we wudnt be having this convo and you wud be a beleiver in psychics.

inimalist
and one which i do not have an answer to. but one which you do not have an answer for either, one that will satisfy me anyway. infact, if there was, we wudnt be having this convo and you wud be a beleiver in psychics.

but that just means that you are unwilling to accept any evidence which is contrary to your belief, whereas I say, produce the evidence to support what you believe.

Not being able to even think of a way to test a claim is worse than it being wrong.

leonheartmm
produce that one person

quite the contrary, I would not be sad. In fact, were I the one to find that person, it would essentially mean I could retire before I was 25.

u wud be sad that a sizeable part of your life was dedicated to the pursuit of a goal which didnt exist. u wud be sad that a significant amount of brain power was used to try and further and propogate that goal. you would also be sad that you were deceived by whatevr was around you into beleiving sumthing that wasnt true.
{ofcourse, IF it ever happens stick out tongue }

i didnt say that u wud be the one finding that person or any such people. it is highly unlikely that u will ever stumble on one let alone be aware of what they can do.

it is not upto me to "produce" people. i am not one of those people otherwise i may produce myself.

inimalist
u wud be sad that a sizeable part of your life was dedicated to the pursuit of a goal which didnt exist. u wud be sad that a significant amount of brain power was used to try and further and propogate that goal. you would also be sad that you were deceived by whatevr was around you into beleiving sumthing that wasnt true.
{ofcourse, IF it ever happens stick out tongue }

i didnt say that u wud be the one finding that person or any such people. it is highly unlikely that u will ever stumble on one let alone be aware of what they can do.

it is not upto me to "produce" people. i am not one of those people otherwise i may produce myself.

no, really, i'm not committed to the position that psychics don't exist. If they did, and if you think they do, then there must be some evidence.

From what is known of neurology, every possible explanation for psychic power that exists is asinine.

leonheartmm
but that just means that you are unwilling to accept any evidence which is contrary to your belief, whereas I say, produce the evidence to support what you believe.

Not being able to even think of a way to test a claim is worse than it being wrong.

contrary and negating are two different things. i accept most of the evidence which u might perceive to be contrary to my claim. but i have not seen anythignnegating it. but going further, i also accept evidence "for" my claim{and dont worry, it isnt sumthing purely intellectual or psuedo scientific like quantum mind theory or qualia}, and i have enough of that in my own personal expirience i think.
sadly, i am not a psychic or mystic, so i cant present any evidence that way. and i can not speak for people who may be, they are not lab rats and have their own reason for doing what they do.
you dont HAVE to beleive me u know. i just know that either way, it wont change sum facts from my perspective.

leonheartmm
no, really, i'm not committed to the position that psychics don't exist. If they did, and if you think they do, then there must be some evidence.

From what is known of neurology, every possible explanation for psychic power that exists is asinine.

what is known of neurology is little. that isnt any reason to dis it, but just saying. and neurology "might" not be all there is to it. it is often hard to integrate physical sciences with the way we see complex systems in the world working due to the fact that the probability of everything having unique order and not vreaking down into randomness and systems with no human/social macro structure is so much higher than the probability of probability based systems working to create and sustain the human mid/body and society etc. ofcourse, u can go ahead and critique that too.

InnerRise
Yup, I believe in Psychic Abilities.

Specifically Sylvia Brown's Psychic Abilities.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

chithappens
john madden is psychic. the man is never wrong

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by InnerRise

Originally posted by chithappens
john madden is psychic. the man is never wrong

You only know what you have been told. It is more likely that these people do not tell the public when they are wrong.

allofyousuckkk

i totally didnt read any further than this bc I thought this was soo unbeleivable

I have this. Like...not all the time...but I can feel different emotions in colors, or I can see people who have certain "colors"

idk, it sounds crazy, but on certain days, if I concentrate, people seem to....radiate a dull color....as though slightly tinted light is coming from them.

idk if that counts lol......

InnerRise
You only know what you have been told. It is more likely that these people do not tell the public when they are wrong. I only know what I've been told?

That makes no sense.

Shakyamunison
I only know what I've been told?

That makes no sense.

Do you know Sylvia Brown personally? Have you looked at all the predictions that person has made? Do you know who handles her press releases?

I didn't think so.

InnerRise
Do you know Sylvia Brown personally? Have you looked at all the predictions that person has made? Do you know who handles her press releases?

I didn't think so. You asked me a bunch of questions and you responded as if you already know the answers.

Huge Contradiction.

Don't tell me what I don't know........then assume you know the InnerGoings of my life.

Capiche?

Good.

You know only what you've been told. Oh guess what........I haven't told you anything.......therefore you know nothing.

I love how that works.

Shakyamunison
You asked me a bunch of questions and you responded as if you already know the answers.

Huge Contradiction.

Don't tell me what I don't know........then assume you know the InnerGoings of my life.

Capiche?

Good.

You know only what you've been told. Oh guess what........I haven't told you anything.......therefore you know nothing.

I love how that works.

No, I do not Capiche!

I was answering your question with an illustration. It really had nothing to do with you. Please try to look past yourself and understand. There are people in the world who make a living telling you (again, I am not talking about you personally, but you, I and everyone else generally) selective truths that can lead to a false impression of what they can do. Magicians do this all the time. Do you understand?

debbiejo
Now Shaky, lighten up. I can do the circle, triangle, square thingie... big grin

Shakyamunison
Now Shaky, lighten up. I can do the circle, triangle, square thingie... big grin

confused I'm not upset or anything... and please do the , triangle, square thingie... it might be really entertaining.

eat

debbiejo
No.

leonheartmm
soooo, its rather easy to go from lotus sutra to kama sutra with u then, rolling on floor laughing . really deb, stop putting ideas in his head. "circle triangle square'' "GOD help any normal man who tries that one in bed laughing .

Shakyamunison
No.

Oh! please...cry

debbiejo
Nope, nope, nope........You'd all make fun of meeeeeee...crybaby

Shakyamunison
Nope, nope, nope........You'd all make fun of meeeeeee...crybaby

We will make fun of you regardless. So, what do you have to loose?

eat

debbiejo
I feel a headache coming on. sad

InnerRise
No, I do not Capiche!

I was answering your question with an illustration. It really had nothing to do with you. Please try to look past yourself and understand. There are people in the world who make a living telling you (again, I am not talking about you personally, but you, I and everyone else generally) selective truths that can lead to a false impression of what they can do. Magicians do this all the time. Do you understand? Do you understand that I said that I believe in Psychic Abilities and specifically in Sylvia Brown's Psychic Abilities? Do you realize exactly what I said. Let's not make stuff up as we go along and add nonsense. Ok? Get it now fella?

Good. Then you're done.

Shakyamunison
Do you understand that I said that I believe in Psychic Abilities and specifically in Sylvia Brown's Psychic Abilities? Do you realize exactly what I said. Let's not make stuff up as we go along and add nonsense. Ok? Get it now fella?

Good. Then you're done.

I don't care what you believe. I don't believe in Psychic Abilities or Sylvia Brown. She is most likely a fake. Get it now fella?

debbiejo
She believes that you get extra brownie points for choosing this planet,the Hell planet.

I'm gonna get a tee shirt stating "I visited earth and survived!"

big grin

yeah, yeah,....I read everything........ embarrasment

InnerRise
I don't care what you believe. I don't believe in Psychic Abilities or Sylvia Brown. She is most likely a fake. Get it now fella? You are a piece of work.

Who said you did care?

If you didn't care, I'm guessing you wouldn't have wasted my time spouting this nonsense:

You only know what you have been told. It is more likely that these people do not tell the public when they are wrong. Originally posted by Shakyamunison

I didn't think so. Originally posted by Shakyamunison
No, I do not Capiche!

I was answering your question with an illustration. It really had nothing to do with you. Please try to look past yourself and understand. There are people in the world who make a living telling you (again, I am not talking about you personally, but you, I and everyone else generally) selective truths that can lead to a false impression of what they can do. Magicians do this all the time. Do you understand?

I didn't saying anything to you about what you believe.........you had something to say to me on my thoughts. You had an OPINION on MY thoughts.

Do you see how that works. If you don't care..........then STFU and have a nice day.

I would ask if you get it now, but putas rarely do.

Matane.

Shakyamunison
You are a piece of work.

Who said you did care?

If you didn't care, I'm guessing you wouldn't have wasted my time spouting this nonsense:

I didn't saying anything to you about what you believe.........you had something to say to me on my thoughts. You had an OPINION on MY thoughts.

Do you see how that works. If you don't care..........then STFU and have a nice day.

I would ask if you get it now, but putas rarely do.

Matane.

The problem is, you don't get it...hysterical

And "STFU and have a nice day." is one of the funniest thing I have ever heard. laughing

Now, tell me, if psychics are real, then why did 30 out of 30 get it wrong in the article from LiveScience.com?

Shakyamunison
Oh! I almost forgot:

Anata wa wakarimasu ka..... back at you. laughing

InnerRise
The problem is, you don't get it...hysterical

And "STFU and have a nice day." is one of the funniest thing I have ever heard. laughing

Now, tell me, if psychics are real, then why did 30 out of 30 get it wrong in the article from LiveScience.com? I'm not about to tell you anything b/c you see........you still don't get it....

I didn't come in this thread to change anybody's mind or make them think the way that I think.........nor did I make some general statement concerning all psychics.

I stated my stance on the matter..............you have a hissy fit.........you state you don't care...........and still insist on pestering me with you childish nonsense.

You keep saying things.......yet you don't even know why you're saying them.

You don't care..........then act like it.

Simple and clean.

And yes.......I know............you still don't get a d@mn thing.

Shakyamunison

InnerRise

Shakyamunison
Oh I see. B/c you made this thread.........I must answer to you when my beliefs contradict yours...........

Oh ok.........I see now..........you care enough about what I think that you must try and prove my beliefs wrong.......oh ok..........

So you ask me why some psychics that I don't even know about got some prediction wrong and you expect me to have an answer for you?

Oh you know what..........I think my cousin was one of the psychics involved........let me give her a ring-a-ding-ding and I'll get back to you.......

Yeah........you're a troll.

Night night troll.

I never called you any names. I was just trying to have a debate with you, and all you could do was be hostel to me. This is a debate forum. According to the rules of the forum, I can challenge other people's points of view and opinions.

You told me to STFU, and now you call me a name. If you are not going to debate me on the topic, then why are you here?

inimalist

http://www.randi.org/sylvia/index.shtml

InnerRise
http://www.randi.org/sylvia/index.shtml Nevertheless I still believe in her abilities as of now.

Shakyamunison
http://www.randi.org/sylvia/index.shtml

Interesting. big grin

debbiejo
Okay, imagine a circle, square or a triangle.

what am I thinking that you are thinking........

yeah........happy now? laughing out loud

inimalist
Nevertheless I still believe in her abilities as of now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2198928,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

debbiejo
Everyone has some sort of gift....why is it so impossible to not think so?

Keep in mind there are "want to be's" and also fakes.........but still, there is much we don't know about.........so there........

inimalist
what sort of gift do people have?

leonheartmm
Okay, imagine a circle, square or a triangle.

what am I thinking that you are thinking........

yeah........happy now? laughing out loud

kamasutra big grin

debbiejo
no

leonheartmm
hrmmm, i know! spongebob !!!! no wait thats not it

hrmmmm, how about kamasutra WITH spongebob !! big grin

debbiejo
Spongebob! EURIKA.

Tell ya what, if you can't laugh at that, then you are a left brained person....No hope, no hope........thank god for laughter............. yes

inimalist
humor is processed in both the left and the right brain. Should there be a defect in either hemisphere, a person will not understand humor.

The way you interpret left and right brain is 100% incorrect. Namely, "logical" processing (which actually doesn't exist as a thing like even my designation assumes) is at the front of the brain, whereas emotional is at the back, both require activation in both hemispheres to function, and logic is dependent on emotion (people with injuries to their emotional centers make very logically poor choices, even though their pre frontal cortex is fine).

EDIT: The limbic system isn't at "the back", as the very rear of the brain is the Visual cortex. It is toward the rear, somewhat in the middle.

InnerRise
Some funny stuff.

My favorite parts:

"Will you tell me exactly the time and place my father died?" the next woman asks.

"Ten years ago in Iowa," Sylvia says.

"Iowa?" says the woman, surprised.

"I'm the psychic," Sylvia snaps. "I'm telling you. Iowa."

"Thank you, Sylvia," the woman says, cowed.

And:

"My son ..." the next woman says. She stops, choking on her words. "My son met a violent death," she says.

"I'm sorry, honey," Sylvia says.

"Is he around me?" she asks.

"He's around you," Sylvia says. "He has beautiful eyes, an oval face. Why is he holding his head?"

"He was shot in the head," the woman says.

"That's why he's holding his head," Sylvia says.

Sylvia says this to the mother but also to us, as if to say, "See, everyone! That's my psychic gift!"

It is an impressive moment.

And:

"It is Sylvia. Her golden hair cascades down her red dress. She starts pushing money into the machine next to me. I momentarily overhear her conversation.

"Do you think they liked it?" she asks one of the four large and quite frightening looking men who are always around her. They look like the Sopranos."

funny

Nice little story.

Although I do have some concerns about one part...........I've never noticed her "Golden Hair", nor have I ever noticed it "Cascading"......not at all in the least bit.

I guess we all like to embellish here and there and a lot of places.

haermm

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Shakyamunison
Some funny stuff.

My favorite parts:

"Will you tell me exactly the time and place my father died?" the next woman asks.

"Ten years ago in Iowa," Sylvia says.

"Iowa?" says the woman, surprised.

"I'm the psychic," Sylvia snaps. "I'm telling you. Iowa."

"Thank you, Sylvia," the woman says, cowed.

And:

"My son ..." the next woman says. She stops, choking on her words. "My son met a violent death," she says.

"I'm sorry, honey," Sylvia says.

"Is he around me?" she asks.

"He's around you," Sylvia says. "He has beautiful eyes, an oval face. Why is he holding his head?"

"He was shot in the head," the woman says.

"That's why he's holding his head," Sylvia says.

Sylvia says this to the mother but also to us, as if to say, "See, everyone! That's my psychic gift!"

It is an impressive moment.

And:

"It is Sylvia. Her golden hair cascades down her red dress. She starts pushing money into the machine next to me. I momentarily overhear her conversation.

"Do you think they liked it?" she asks one of the four large and quite frightening looking men who are always around her. They look like the Sopranos."

funny

Nice little story.

Although I do have some concerns about one part...........I've never noticed her "Golden Hair", nor have I ever noticed it "Cascading"......not at all in the least bit.

I guess we all like to embellish here and there and a lot of places.

haermm

Not all all convincing.

Human experiences are so similar, that a person with careful questioning, can guide another person to any conclusion they want.

Adam_PoE
"Sylvia Browne: Psychic Guru or Quack?" Bryan Farha, Ed.D.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Adam_PoE

Great article! Everyone should read it.

dadudemon
Great article! Everyone should read it.

It is a great article...but I didn't learn anything new from it. I had a nice conversation with DigiMark about this stuff.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by dadudemon
It is a great article...but I didn't learn anything new from it. I had a nice conversation with DigiMark about this stuff.

Well, share...

Magee
My mum recently went to one of them tarrot card things and the things that guy was saying were scarily accurate. She recorded it on her phone and he had a lot to say about me most of which was very accurate, the things he was saying about every one was a lot of the time spot on with a few wrong things and some things which were like guesses. It's just the things he got right makes you think he couldnt possibly just be guessing it. I don't beleive in this kind of stuff but I can't understand how they do it.

dadudemon
Well, share...

Here you go...enjoy! big grin

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=466662&highlight=crossing+over

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Magee
My mum recently went to one of them tarrot card things and the things that guy was saying were scarily accurate. She recorded it on her phone and he had a lot to say about me most of which was very accurate, the things he was saying about every one was a lot of the time spot on with a few wrong things and some things which were like guesses. It's just the things he got right makes you think he couldnt possibly just be guessing it. I don't beleive in this kind of stuff but I can't understand how they do it.

Cold reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading

Sadako of Girth
Ya can't have the cold without the hot, I guess. stick out tongue

InnerRise
"Sylvia Browne: Psychic Guru or Quack?" Bryan Farha, Ed.D. Sylvia Brown seems pretty Gangsta!

haermm

She made 3 promises..........On National Television no less.........and BROKE THEM!

Oh Noes! herbshockmove

I like Sylvia Brown.happy

Shakyamunison
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,180681,00.html

dadudemon
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,180681,00.html

pwned. smile

InnerRise
I can't wait for more Sylvia Brown on Montel. God I love her and her all seeing eye.

Shakyamunison
I can't wait for more Sylvia Brown on Montel. God I love her and her all seeing eye.

You should make a thread about her...

InnerRise
I love Sylvia Brown's Psychic Abilities.

debbiejo
What about Johathan Edward?

InnerRise
Meh.

Shakyamunison
I love Sylvia Brown's Psychic Abilities.

I don't see how this adds to the thread. Please don't post it again. Thank you.

debbiejo
You know, I love Sylvia Brown's books. stick out tongue

Shakyamunison
You know, I love Sylvia Brown's books. stick out tongue stick out tongue

debbiejo
stick out tongue I felt some psychic pulling for me to do it to you........soooooo, sooooooooo..sorry.. embarrasment laughing out loud

InnerRise
You know, I love Sylvia Brown's books. stick out tongue Haha. Yeah. Me too. Just like I love her Psychic Abilities.

debbiejo
laughing out loud

How about you, Shaky?

InnerRise
Oh......I see.........you're trying to be "cool"............Well I saw your picture and well...............yeah.........

debbiejo
Well you don't have to be a psychic to view a picture......... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Shaky and I are friends. We always poke at each other...

InnerRise
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/powerfulone1987/DURRR.jpg

Shakyamunison
laughing out loud

How about you, Shaky?

Noooooo, roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing

Deja~vu
I don't believe in such things.

MrCampion
depends which psychics. they don't come in one garden variety any more than any other group. There are some I believe but others I don't.

Deja~vu
Well, the good ones make ore money.

MrCampion
That may be but that is not how I classify the good from the bad.

Deja~vu
By word of mouth, not by advertisements.

The Grey Fox
Cool, two newbies

MrCampion
I don't judge groups so offhandedly usually, except for marines.

Deja~vu
sorry.........wrong thread

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by MrCampion
That may be but that is not how I classify the good from the bad.

In the article at the start of the thread, 100% of all the psychics who participated were wrong. Were were the "good" ones?

inimalist
In the article at the start of the thread, 100% of all the psychics who participated were wrong. Were were the "good" ones?

In every well controlled scientific test, all psychics perform no better than chance, ie, were 100% wrong.

The good ones are hiding wink

Shakyamunison
In every well controlled scientific test, all psychics perform no better than chance, ie, were 100% wrong.

The good ones are hiding wink

You would think that at least one would have gotten something right.

inimalist
You would think that at least one would have gotten something right.

well, they get stuff "right"

but like, if you or I were to guess the picture on a flashcard, we would get "some right" as well.

There has never been a finding that couldn't be reduced to non-significant through statistical analysis, and even the trace successes that are reported (normally before a proper statical analysis) are entirely contrary to what people say they can do (re: nobody claims to have psychic powers that are just slightly above guessing ability).

Shakyamunison
well, they get stuff "right"

but like, if you or I were to guess the picture on a flashcard, we would get "some right" as well.

There has never been a finding that couldn't be reduced to non-significant through statistical analysis, and even the trace successes that are reported (normally before a proper statical analysis) are entirely contrary to what people say they can do (re: nobody claims to have psychic powers that are just slightly above guessing ability).

There is an experiment that anyone can do. It has to do with the fact we remember things that match, and forget thing that don't. This is what most psychics rely on. Pick a number at the start of the day, like 5, then count the number of times that you see 5 throughout the day. You will be surprised how many times you see the number 5 or any other number. The next day pick a different number.

I feel like I'm missing a part of the experiment. That's what you get from taking cold medicine. sick

Deja~vu
Interesting.

MrCampion
Oh pardon. I was speaking in general, not from any specified test currently in discussion for this thread.

DigiMark007
An anecdote to prove a point:

There are numerous rewards available, that total in the millions cumulatively (and a few are individually in that range) for proof of paranormal powers in a controlled setting. Anyone in the business is well aware of them, and most well-known people who claim to have paranormal powers (psychic or otherwise) have already been posed with the question of taking such a test.

None do, and the few who have tried have failed miserably.

Most simply ignore the rewards, others try to rationalize it away by saying the "bad vibes" kill their powers, or they don't want to lower themselves to that level. But anyone who performs psychic readings on a regular basis is in it for the money. And they either know they're frauds, or are simply delusional.

So why not live a life of luxury? Take all the reward money? Because they can't.

Any methodically researched psychic claim has been debunked thoroughly. None, to date, pass inspection, leaving the credulous to their suspect anecdotal stories of psychic success. These have neither empirical value as evidence, nor are most of them factually true.

James Randi is the most widely renowned skeptic of such phenomenon (though he'll be delighted to give his own psychic readings using the same cold reading techniques employed by others). So I'll name-drop him for those who might be interested. But there are numerous others as well.

dadudemon
Originally posted by DigiMark007

There are numerous rewards available, that total in the millions cumulatively (and a few are individually in that range) for proof of paranormal powers in a controlled setting. Anyone in the business is well aware of them, and most well-known people who claim to have paranormal powers (psychic or otherwise) have already been posed with the question of taking such a test.

Most simply ignore the rewards, others try to rationalize it away by saying the "bad vibes" kill their powers, or they don't want to lower themselves to that level. But anyone who performs psychic readings on a regular basis is in it for the money. And they either know they're frauds, or are simply delusional.

So why not live a life of luxury? Take all the reward money? Because they can't.

Any methodically researched psychic claim has been debunked thoroughly. None, to date, pass inspection, leaving the credulous to their suspect anecdotal stories of psychic success. These have neither empirical value as evidence, nor are most of them factually true.

James Randi is the most widely renowned skeptic of such phenomenon (though he'll be delighted to give his own psychic readings using the same cold reading techniques employed by others). So I'll name-drop him for those who might be interested. But there are numerous others as well.

lol...dude, this is just another reason why you are so cool in my book.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by dadudemon
lol...dude, this is just another reason why you are so cool in my book.

Thanks?

haermm

Shakyamunison
Thanks?

haermm

I knew you was going to say that. laughing

DigiMark007
I knew you was going to say that. laughing

Well, when he's right, he's right.

cool

Shakyamunison
Well, when he's right, he's right.

cool

I'm a Psychic. laughing

DigiMark007
Oh, it was a psychic joke. Totally went over my head.

embarrasment

Adam_PoE

^ I pointed this out earlier:

Wild Shadow
i had a psychic try to read me for money and try to get money off of me after i told them i didnt want a reading to begin with..

they were like you lost a parent grand parent in your life.. i was like yeh and? your close to particular relative.. i was what the F#$# does that mean? of course i am close to them i am related to them and by close compared to an aunt, uncle or cousin of course i would be closer to my mother and brother over the rest.. you got anything better then that like the lottery number for the next super jackpot?

how about which famous person will die tomorrow or what will happen an hour from now on this very spot?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
i had a psychic try to read me for money and try to get money off of me after i told them i didnt want a reading to begin with..

they were like you lost a parent grand parent in your life.. i was like yeh and? your close to particular relative.. i was what the F#$# does that mean? of course i am close to them i am related to them and by close compared to an aunt, uncle or cousin of course i would be closer to my mother and brother over the rest.. you got anything better then that like the lottery number for the next super jackpot?

how about which famous person will die tomorrow or what will happen an hour from now on this very spot?

Damn, dude...you really need to watch the SouthPark episode that covers that show Crossing Over.

ADarksideJedi
No I don't.Seeing in the future is something that no human can do no matter how they think they can.So if people want to waste there money that is fine by me but I am not about too.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
No I don't.Seeing in the future is something that no human can do no matter how they think they can.

Ah, but I can smell the future. Where is your skepticism now?

ADarksideJedi
Smelling is ok I guess but not seeing lol!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Ah, but I can smell the future. Where is your skepticism now?

Does it smell like ammonia?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.