Suddenly its 1960 -- What would you miss?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dude111
You fall down and hit your head;pass out and when you wake its 1960

http://www.google.com/search?q=sudde...id:hadDgi9Ysno

. . . and you have to readjust your whole lifestyle. What would you miss the most?

I tell ya what I wouldnt mi$$... THE GARBAGE IN THE WORLD NOW!!

truejedi
I think being 60 years behind on rights for women, minorities and alternative genders would be crushing. It would probably feel like living in a theocracy instead of the free world. Not to mention, being suspected of being a communist sympathizer was a big deal back then... So, freedom I guess. I think I'd miss hard fought-for freedoms.

Macklemore
I'd have a sandwich and then go from there.

BruceSkywalker
i was born in '69 so take that for what you will

Darth Thor
Oh no my EV is gone !

In all seriousness we would all miss our phones the most. Because its just become part and parcel of the way we live.

Originally posted by truejedi
and alternative genders would be crushing.

I doubt you would actually feel crushed by that one.

truejedi
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Oh no my EV is gone !

In all seriousness we would all miss our phones the most. Because its just become part and parcel of the way we live.

I doubt you would actually feel crushed by that one.

You think I wake up to finding some trans man or woman being beaten or thrown in jail, and I wouldn't find that horrible? Why did you pick that one off my list? I'm genuinely curious. Why wouldn't I find the rights of people being taken lost (or in this case not granted yet) to be crushing?

I find it really curious how you grabbed that one off the list and said it wouldn't bother me (with the insinuation being maybe the others would?)

Why would one not bother me, but the others would?

Old Man Whirly!
I'd miss nothing as long as I had my bank account in this scenario, I'd start making bets predictions, maybe point scientists in the direction of a number of advances. I might try and go into things like partnership with the beatles manager Epstien before he signed them. All this and I can still pinch a Woman's ass... sounds perfect. No aids on the horizon, free love of the late sixties. Knowing my kids and grand kids existed in the multiverse and I was getting to live my best life.

Nuke Nixon
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
I'd miss nothing as long as I had my bank account in this scenario, I'd start making bets predictions, maybe point scientists in the direction of a number of advances. I might try and go into things like partnership with the beatles manager Epstien before he signed them. All this and I can still pinch a Woman's ass... sounds perfect. No aids on the horizon, free love of the late sixties. Knowing my kids and grand kids existed in the multiverse and I was getting to live my best life.

This guy gets it.

Robtard
Was going to say "I'd invent velcro", but that was had in 1957, I thought it was 1961.

But I'd sketch up and pitch these inventions, pulls tab cans, child car seats, Buffalo Wings, calling 911,

I'd also invest whatever I had in Broadcom.

jaden_2.0
Wouldn't relish having to scrounge for grot mags under bushes or cracking one out to the ladies underwear section of mail order "clubby books".

Macklemore
Do what Biff did and bet on football results. Instant success!

Darth Thor

Robtard
Originally posted by Macklemore
Do what Biff did and bet on football results. Instant success!

Biff had a cheat book though.

I'm not a big sportsballs person, except for the World Cup. But can you recall game results from 1960 on up?

Macklemore
Originally posted by Robtard
Biff had a cheat book though.

I'm not a big sportsballs person, except for the World Cup. But can you recall game results from 1960 on up? Some of them. Brazil won a lot of WCs, for example. I'm not that interested enough into sports anymore.

StyleTime
What would I miss?

Almost everything to be honest. Even setting aside social and political issues, my day-to-day life is too tied to modern technology. Stepping backwards would be hell.

Sure, I could adapt, and even find interesting things to do with my future knowledge. I wouldn't willingly go though. Visiting the past would be cool, but I wouldn't want to be permanently stuck there.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by StyleTime
What would I miss?

Almost everything to be honest. Even setting aside social and political issues, my day-to-day life is too tied to modern technology. Stepping backwards would be hell.

Sure, I could adapt, and even find interesting things to do with my future knowledge. I wouldn't willingly go though. Visiting the past would be cool, but I wouldn't want to be permanently stuck there. I'd love to not have to see a mobile phone for 25 years.

truejedi
Man I hate the way everything is online and self service. "Get online and fill out your paperwork" makes me crazy. Whirly, was it that way before the Internet? Were you responsible for every bit of data entry like that, or did companies try to make it easier for people? I just had a daughter (3 weeks old) and every single company seems to think I have a secretary.. like no, I'm just literally changing diapers and feeding and never sleeping, when on earth will I have time to get online and sign her up for every single appointment? It's crazy. A very much: serve yourself culture today that the Internet tricked us into thinking was good for us, that's my opinion.

StyleTime
I'd love to not have to see a mobile phone for 25 years.
I'm at the opposite extreme. I'm ready to become a cyborg, merge with my phone, and have my consciousness exist uploaded to the cloud lol.

Originally posted by truejedi
Man I hate the way everything is online and self service. "Get online and fill out your paperwork" makes me crazy. Whirly, was it that way before the Internet? Were you responsible for every bit of data entry like that, or did companies try to make it easier for people? I just had a daughter (3 weeks old) and every single company seems to think I have a secretary.. like no, I'm just literally changing diapers and feeding and never sleeping, when on earth will I have time to get online and sign her up for every single appointment? It's crazy. A very much: serve yourself culture today that the Internet tricked us into thinking was good for us, that's my opinion.

I don't know. Sounds like nostalgia goggles tbh.

You still had to do that stuff before, except you'd have to use pen & paper or even go in-person. You now how devices that auto-fill much of those documents for you. It takes less time than back then.

Even for phone calls, cell phones kick the shit out of landlines for the simple fact you aren't tethered to one spot.

StyleTime

You now how devices
Now have*

Darth Thor

You still had to do that stuff before, except you'd have to use pen & paper or even go in-person.

I agree with you about the mega convenience that we're just never going to go back to the way things were.

However it's actually really bad for our eye-hand coordination not to write with a pen anymore.

Must be a lot of other ill effects as well, people like my Dad (who was never very techy and still isn't) see how we've all become literal zombies on our phones. It's especially bad for kids (but if they don't get on it they'll get left behind pretty quickly in technology).

I try to keep my phone at a distance (Use the speaker phone a lot to talk and try not to keep it in my pocket).

StyleTime
I agree with you about the mega convenience that we're just never going to go back to the way things were.

However it's actually really bad for our eye-hand coordination not to write with a pen anymore.

Must be a lot of other ill effects as well, people like my Dad (who was never very techy and still isn't) see how we've all become literal zombies on our phones. It's especially bad for kids (but if they don't get on it they'll get left behind pretty quickly in technology).

I try to keep my phone at a distance (Use the speaker phone a lot to talk and try not to keep it in my pocket).
It's possible, but I'm not sure that's actually true to be honest. And we do have evidence showing that gaming improves your hand-eye coordination anyway, which is a huge part of phone use. Even if it didn't, there's only a base level of hand-eye coordination needed in life, unless you're an athlete.

I hear the zombies on a phone idea a lot too, but I think it's largely just people being resistant to change. Basically, "it wasn't around in my day, therefore it's bad." It's an extremely useful tool, so people will use it a lot. I'm not sure this is actually bad, so much as different from what we're used to. Granted, smartphones haven't been around long, so we don't have conclusive long term info on them. I suspect they will turn like most other new technologies though -- everyone will be skeptical at first, then humans turn out fine in the end. People had the same gloom-and-doom ideas about video games, television, and telephones, yet we've adjusted to their presence too.

I think a bigger issue is what is your phone being used for, moreso than simply using it at all. I don't have social media (didn't even do it as a kid), so maybe the negative parts of that fly past me.

Old Man Whirly!
I hate being eternally contactable. When I retire dumb phone, beach, pile of books, bacardi and coke.

StyleTime
Well, at least take a tablet or laptop if you toss your smartphone.

Your digital devices can carry millions of e-books. Physical books are inferior, archaic objects best used as decoration.

Technology is great. stick out tongue

Old Man Whirly!
Well, at least take a tablet or laptop if you toss your smartphone.

Your digital devices can carry millions of e-books. Physical books are inferior, archaic objects best used as decoration.

Technology is great. stick out tongue I have a kindle, but I just want the physical feel of books again. A visit to Foyles once a quarter to stock up. Walk the beach till the sun goes down, the girls will be mid teens by then 10 years from now, not want me around. Anyone who wants to see my family including other children and grandchildren can visit. I will walk the beach all day when I am not reading, swimming in the sea, drinking bacardi and coke and eating Tuna sandwiches.

Darth Thor
It's possible, but I'm not sure that's actually true to be honest. And we do have evidence showing that gaming improves your hand-eye coordination anyway, which is a huge part of phone use.

Oh it does, but not everyone plays games on their phones (or at all).

Whereas everyone used pen and paper before mobiles, I-pads and laptops.

StyleTime
I have a kindle, but I just want the physical feel of books again. A visit to Foyles once a quarter to stock up. Walk the beach till the sun goes down, the girls will be mid teens by then 10 years from now, not want me around. Anyone who wants to see my family including other children and grandchildren can visit. I will walk the beach all day when I am not reading, swimming in the sea, drinking bacardi and coke and eating Tuna sandwiches.
thumb up

I mostly joking there. While I am all aboard the digital train, I do understand some people genuinely enjoy "disconnecting" a bit.

I've got a friend who moved to some off the grid beach in Costa Rica, got rid of his smartphone, and rarely bothers with the internet. It's certainly harder to keep in touch with him now, but he does genuinely seem much happier when I spoke to him last. I'm all for people living the way they want.

StyleTime
Oh it does, but not everyone plays games on their phones (or at all).

Whereas everyone used pen and paper before mobiles, I-pads and laptops.
True. Not everyone does. I just wonder if we're still reaching the same threshold for hand-eye coordination that we always have.

If our hand-eye coordination score was, say, an 8 before, it's possible we still reach that 8 through our other interactions with the physical world.

I'm not sure how we'd reliably measure it though. I think I'd be more concerned if I saw people constantly fumbling their basic physical tasks I guess.

Darth Thor
True. Not everyone does. I just wonder if we're still reaching the same threshold for hand-eye coordination that we always have.

If our hand-eye coordination score was, say, an 8 before, it's possible we still reach that 8 through our other interactions with the physical world.

Just think writing was a very regular day to day task. Especially for kids at school.

So no idea of the effect of that just disappearing.

I think I'd be more concerned if I saw people constantly fumbling their basic physical tasks I guess.

Lol fair enough.

cdtm
I'd miss Elon Musk and Donald Trump winding up Democrats on social media.

On the other hand, all the John Money style mutilations for bank and career would not be a thing yet.

And I'm only half joking, there have literally been title ix interpretations that prevent doctors from doing anything but affirming outcomes that result in hormones and mutilation, because it isn't a mental illness and can not be questioned by anyone. Trans gets all the funding now compared to gays and lesbians who have way more members, they have all the policy makers, and all the press because they're big business.

Call me anti trans or whatever, they're ruining more lives then they save. All about the money.

I'd go back to 1960 to get away from that atrocity.

Adam_PoE
Sex reassignment surgeries existed for almost 50 years before 1960, you clown.

cdtm
Under different laws.

What is your opinion on John Money, Adam?

cdtm
Originally posted by cdtm
I'd miss Elon Musk and Donald Trump winding up Democrats on social media.

On the other hand, all the John Money style mutilations for bank and career would not be a thing yet.

And I'm only half joking, there have literally been title ix interpretations that prevent doctors from doing anything but affirming outcomes that result in hormones and mutilation, because it isn't a mental illness and can not be questioned by anyone. Trans gets all the funding now compared to gays and lesbians who have way more members, they have all the policy makers, and all the press because they're big business.

Call me anti trans or whatever, they're ruining more lives then they save. All about the money.

I'd go back to 1960 to get away from that atrocity.

For context:

I'll repost this, to read or ignore as one will.

https://xn--mujeresencampaa-crb.com.ar

https://archive.ph/9vaRd

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
David Reimer is proof that children cannot be influenced into becoming a different gender.

Old Man Whirly!
thumb up

I mostly joking there. While I am all aboard the digital train, I do understand some people genuinely enjoy "disconnecting" a bit.

I've got a friend who moved to some off the grid beach in Costa Rica, got rid of his smartphone, and rarely bothers with the internet. It's certainly harder to keep in touch with him now, but he does genuinely seem much happier when I spoke to him last. I'm all for people living the way they want. I will still have lap top and Internet at home, just no mobile devices. It's the mobile devices I hate most except for wasting time at work which is very different to sitting in a garden or on the beach.

Old Man Whirly!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/news/2022/nov/15/who-remembers-proper-binmen-facebook-nostalgia-memes-help-explain-britain-today

I thought this was salient...

Dude111
Ya your talkin' mate!!

Excellent!!

cdtm

He was though.

Regretting it later doesn't change the fact the transition happened at a young age, and was touted as a success, while burying evidence to the contrary.

Adam_PoE
Are you male? Do you identify as a man? Is it important to you that other people see you as a man? Is there anything anyone could say to you to convince you otherwise?

You have an internal sense of self, and it is fixed. David Reimer is proof of this.

As an infant, his penis was destroyed during circumcision, so he was sexually reassigned, and raised as a girl. Despite this, he knew he was a boy, and rejected his female socialization.

He did not know he was born male, he had no male genitals, and he still knew he was a boy. He was raised a girl, he had female genitals, and he still knew that was not his gender.

Some of you have had your gender so policed by external actors that you are terrified by the notion that your gender could be influenced, changed, or revoked by external factors.

If you know you are a man, you should also be secure in the knowledge that there is nothing that can change that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.