Anything else

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ariwin
Anyone seen the trailer for this yet?? I caught it before Le Divorce (which was very good by the way)...looks really good and really provoking for a movie of that genre...

Anyone else seen it?

Kes
It's called Anything else?blink
Anyone famouse in it?

edwinian
anything else to add...that all i can think of when i see this name...

anyways...

yes...i looked at IMDB listing and it has Christina Ricci, Jason Biggs, Glenn Close, Woody Allen, Danny DiVito, and Jimmy Fallon - to name a few famous people!

CapinJacksparow
i hate woody allen....

word that

Kes
Well great actors but I hate woody allen and all is crappy movies messed

edwinian
Well from what I have read and seen in trailer...although it is woody allen...its more a romantic comedy and focuses not on a typical woddy allen movie. I think he has a pretty small part and a venturing to say that this is a new road for him to explore- won't be the same old allen film people are used to ...but thats just my thought.

ariwin
I agree... although I do like Woody Allen movies...as someon that watches his movies pretty frequently, this one doesn't seem typical Woody Allen. Seems like he's appealing to a different crowd.... in a different way. I think it looks worth while...and hope that it does okay this September.

edwinian
I have read some reviews of it from the Venice Film Festival...they are actually very good and make me excited for this even more...

"Woody attacks America's shrink culture

Venice critics hail Allen's return to form |

Fiachra Gibbons, arts correspondent in Venice
Friday August 29, 2003
The Guardian

Woody Allen has made a good film. The shock at the Venice Film Festival yesterday was palpable. After 14 years and as many attempts to recapture his old magic, the New York director has finally made a film which holds up to his earlier work.
And in another twist which will send a shiver through the world of Freudian therapy, Allen turns on psychoanalysis in Anything Else.

Critics who endured such dross as Small Time Crooks and Curse of the Jade Scorpion, can't help but wonder whether the two are related.

They had been expecting more of the self-indulgent schtick that has characterised most of the 15 films Allen has churned out since his last masterpiece, Crimes and Misdemeanours in 1989.

But for once Allen, now 67, has not cast himself in the romantic lead, and suddenly the old formula of gravely funny Manhattan neurotics turning themselves inside out appears to be working again.

Jason Biggs of American Pie fame plays a novice comic writer who falls for Christina Ricci's manipulative minx, with Allen chipping in advice as his paranoid mentor. Matters are given a hilarious tweak when Ricci tells Biggs's character that while she loves him, she can only have sex with other men.

As ever, it is Allen's ageing comedian who has all the best lines. But the philosophical and oddly serious David Dobel is far from the self-obsessed Allen cipher of old.

For a start, he categorically trashes psychoanalysis in the most heartfelt way. His post-September 11 New York is also a darker, more dangerous city. Dobel, despite all his literary pretensions, has assembled a fearsome arsenal of guns and survival equipment in his apartment ready for a final showdown.

Allen said that as a Jew who felt besieged and had consequently armed himself to the teeth, Dobel was a metaphor for Israel.

"The world obviously is in a particularly tense state at the moment," Allen added. "Of course, it always is tense. But at the moment it is even more exaggerated than usual. The character I play in the movie is a sort of paranoid product of the enormous tension that rains down on everyone." "

edwinian
A friend saw this...and raved about Christina Ricci's performance...said its a good Woody Allen movie too

CandyKoRn
interesting.

BackFire349
all those actor suck, jason biggs and jimmy fallon are terrible.

CandyKoRn
is it comedy? huh

Kes
Glenn Close is good. And Danny Devito is cool. Hate Woody Allen thou messed

scarecrow
What? I can't believe these people saying they hate woody allen. He's a comic genius he may not be the best human but he is a great filmaker. I mean come on he's gotten numerous academy award nominations which is pretty hard to do for comedies. and yes he has hit a bit of a dry spell but Small Time Crooks wasn't that bad was it? and Jason Biggs is a young actor on the rise.

Kes
I think he sucks. I hate the way his movies are so....slow or something. The photography (of the ones I saw) is always terrible. And that 1 camera thing....not for me.

edwinian
Yup...romantic comedy of sorts....woody allen (obviously)

funny thing...though Glenn Close is listed at IMDB>...my buddy said that she isn't in it...weird.

Oh well..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.