Emperor's Royal Guard

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bragg2012
As you probobly all know the Emperors Royal Guard has been added to the SW Ep2 databank

http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/emperorsroyalguard/img/eu_sm.jpg

Does this mean that Palpy declares himself Emperor in Ep2 or is the Royal Guard created in Ep2? He is the same height as the Troopers and Boba Fett so he appears to be a clone..

Any thoughts?

ratcat
I wondered that myself? The entry does say they evolved from the Senate Guard.

kdawg
Those are some good views on the subject.
I hope that he declares himself Emperor in EP2. It's just weird refering to him as Darth Sideius.

Jameous Woodshire
With alot of hints from SW.C I have a slight theory put together that he will declare himself Emperor and kick all the alien senators out of the senate.

The confrence table scene will be key to this and Jar-Jar will likely be one of the ones agenst that move but messes it up somehow.

We shall see....

queeq
Maybe they're just an evolution of the blue guards from Episode 1.

Ushgarak
That's what I assumed.

Dim
I'm not so sure about Palpatine declaring himself Emperor..it just seems way too early in the ball game for that. Plus he still has to charm Anakin away from the Jedi.

finti
That seems reasonable.

Dim
Well, except that they're all clones now.

queeq
Says who?
That's speculation, and if they're in Ep2 that seems a tad early for clones when they're still in a test phase. A little risky to apply them in the highest position of security. Better send them off in white suits to get shot to pieces first.

Bragg2012
Storm Troopers, Boba, and this fella are the same height (1.83m). coincidence? i think not.

But.. the royal guards weapon is a "force spike" this could mean he is force attuned so if he is a clone then so are the storm stoopers etc. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I do agree that if the royal guard is a clone then he would of been cloned around the same time if not after Boba did, if they all originated from Jango (this explains the same height) he would only be a kid in the film as is Boba, so will we see a mini roayl gueard in the making or is the height thing just to confuse us?

Coreworld
Due to all the assasination attempts throughout EII Palpatine could use this as an excuse to surround himself with clone bodyguards and clothe them in his favourite colour (As witnessed in TPM) crimson.

queeq
To match his lightsabre. laughing out loud

finti
I think people put a little bit too much into this clone thing.

DJ Velocity
It just seems to me that every time the word clone is mentioned, everyone says "NO", and looks for other possibilities. All I'm saying is the clones are a major part in the star wars story so I wouldn't go writing off the fact that some of the major players are in fact clones.

I wasn't having a pop at you there or anything Finti. big grin

DJ Velocity
I don't know Finti, The clones have got to come into play somewhere, then all of these characters start popping up who are the same height. I think it is something to do with the clones.

finti
Same height? so where do this info come from.
And if you mentioned stormtroopers I think the height description of stormtroopers is the minimum height requierd to be a Stormtrooper. The Royal Norwegian guard have a min height requirement does not mean all are the same heigt, it means no one is shorther than 6 ft.
"Aint you a little short to be a stormtrooper" -Leia Organa EPIV

Bragg2012
nice one batman.

if they are clones wudnt they be little like boba.? aint he the 1st clone?

the height similaritys come from the SW databank.

Dim
I agree with DJ on this..I tend to think that the clones will play a large part in the next two movies. It seems a little suspicious to me that they posted an exact height on the Official Website. If they weren't clones I would think that they would post the minimum height, height range or not mention it at all.

finti
If a height, an exact height, is mentioned that would be the minimum height required to be a stormtrooper.

queeq
Yes? So? I guess that'd a be a post-clone ST then?

Jameous Woodshire
I know this is just a flaw in the film, but in ANH when the Stormtroopers enter the dockingbay control room, you can tell that some of the troopers arnt the same size. One even hits his head on the door as he enters. laughing out loud

But I dont think this was meant to confuse the clone wuestion, it's just funny.

ratcat
In answer to the above:

Also, on the hieght issue with Stormtroopers.

So, it would look like the best of the best Stormtroopers could be promoted to the royal guard.

finti
In other words no clones! If they were clones they would all be equals.

queeq
That means you need to hir programmers. That's way to expensive. Right RC? laughing out loud

queeq
Yes...... right. roll eyes (sarcastic)

ratcat
Well you say that, but height is not just a genetic issue is it. There's also the question of diet and physical responses to environment.

It is possible for clones to be of different size, but in the main they would generally be the same size.

That said, I would have thought that additional gene sources may be added to the clone pool. What if they found a stroner man, or a more resilient man? Would they not want to add that to the mix?

finti
Well if they had a clone "factory" they would (the clones) have the same enviromental uppbrinig. I just belive that the stormtroopers are not clones. Tehy are subscripted to the empire. Wasnt Biggs a empire acadamy "drop out"

queeq
There's this theory that the first ST's were a clone army but that by the time of ANH, many of them have been replaced by real people. Perhaps that's the outcome of the Clone Wars, that clones are then forbidden.

Jameous Woodshire
Biggs was in the Naval Academy. Just like Luke wanted to be in. The pilots were taken from the general population as stated in ANH (sort of).

But the story on the stormtroopers is still out.

I think that by ANH the clones are history so that all arms of the military are volunteers or subscripts.

But that's just an extreamly educated guess. smokin'

ratcat
Damn programmers, far too expensive. Couldn't run there stupid software without the kit though!!!!! laughing out loud

Finti, what if there was more than one clone factory, on a different planet even. You know, not putting all your eggs in one basket so to speak?

finti
Well the jedis won the clone war so we must presume that cloning is forbidden. One can hide one factory several are a different case. I still think people are to caught up in this cloning. I read, i think it was on tge SW official pages, that the clone wars would be starting between epII and III, and the war will end in the early part of epIII.
I think the clone wars is NOT the big part of the saga as people wants it to be.

queeq
Well, the impications are big. They allow Palpy to rise to power.

finti
True the war drained the jedis for manpower.

Jameous Woodshire
Where does it say the Jedi won the Clone wars? Leia just says "you served with my father during the clone wars" and called him a general. Nowhere in the films is it stated that they won.

Puts a new spin on things eh?

Ushgarak
Best reference we have is a BAntha tracks Magazine from '81 where it talks about Boba Fett. It says he wears the armour of the Shocktroopers, defeated by the Jedi in the Clone Wars. There is no evidence that GL has changed his mind about that, but no real evidence about the whole thing either way

I don't think anyone has actually made enormous assumptions here, but feeling has always tended towards the idea that the Jedi won it.

Jameous Woodshire
Well Bantha Tracks was also the source that started the Obi and Owen were brothers thing. So I concider it EU untill I see it on screen.

As for my statement, I meant that it might a different way to look at the clone war as if the clones won. Or that they took the jedi down to such few numbers that then Vader was able to 'hunt them down'.

It would make for a decidely dark EP3 just like its said to be.

Ushgarak
It's certainly possible. And BT is massivelt EU, of course, it was only an indication.

I rather think that most people had taken your second idea as being the most likely.

finti
the novelisation of ROTJ also mention Owen as Obi-Wan`s brother.

queeq
Which makes the novelisations EU as well.

ratcat
Um, sorry but how do we know the Jedi won?

finti
If they lost the clone war it would have been the fall of the jedi`s they would have lost all power. Not the coming of the empire and the hunt down of the jedi`s led by Vader.
Reading the journal of the wills at the proloogue of ANH novilisation you get the impression the jedi`s were betrayed and killed. And that book is written by GEORGE LUCAS thus canon.(not written by ADF)

ratcat
But that's purely your interpretation. We don't even fully understand what a "Clone War" is yet. We assume it is a war fought oer of by cloning technology.

As far as the novel goes, yes it is Aithored by George Lucas, but only "Based on the Screenplay." and therefore falls outside of true cannon. IMHO - OC.

big grin

Dim
Yes, that seems to be the way it is..because of the changing of small details in the movies.

Ushgarak
Finti, the ANH book WAS written by ADF, not George Lucas. I gave a weblink that proved that fact; how much more do you want me to do? That is an established fact and ADF often talks about it in interview.

Meanwhile, the booksd never qualify as EU as they are based on works by George Lucas; the wholem meaning of the term EU is stuff that is NOT based on GL's works. However, this does NOT make the novels necessarily right, as the Ob-Wan's brother thing proves.

ratcat
It's a universal constant that novels based on the screenplay often differ from the actual movie. The TPM novel was a classic example of this.

I don't think you can accept the novels as true cannon as not everything in them is portrayed that way on the screen.

But that said, it is GL's work...

finti
Well Ush that web link also said ADF wrote EPI novel as well so to me that interview is crap.

finti
to add on my topic in ep IV-I hmmmphm. wink

Jameous Woodshire
I love the EU. That said...

ANYTHING NOT ON FILM IS EU!!!!!!!

stick out tongue

Ushgarak
Well, NO, the definition of EU is anything not directly spun from GL's works, so the novelisations, screenpl;ays and Radio Dramas are NOT EU. That doesn't make them right (although the C&P department DOES consider them canonical), but they are not EU no matter which way you put it; they simply do not come under that defintion.

Hope you are happy, Finti...

finti
No I`m not happy. Illusion lost

ratcat
Ush, how can you say that a novel which contracdicts the actual film is considered cannon? confused

Jameous Woodshire
The definition of Canon is its on film.

GL has contridicted himself too many times to list.

Starkiller, Starwalker, is just a pair.

THus not on film, NOT canon.

queeq
Uh-oh, they opened the "canon-of-worms" again. laughing out loud

Or should I say Canondora's Box?

Ushgarak
How many times do I have to say this?

The four non-EU Star Wars sources- that's the films, the screenplays, the novels and the radio dramas, are all OFFICIAL canon. THAT is the canon definition of Starwars, Jameous, not just the films.

HOWEVER, they work strictly in that order, with the ones that come first overriding the ones that come later. Hence, if any of the last three contradict the films then they are wrong and the films are right, if the novels or radios contradict the screenplay then the screenplay is right (so long as it doesn't contradict the film), and likewise the novels override the Radio Dramas.

If you have a problem with this take it up with Lucasfilm, not me. But that is the official line and opinion will not change it.

finti
Things are a little bit clearer then. Thanks for the info Ush, this makes Owen Lars Obi`s brother acording to the ROTJ novel. And dont you others go argue with Ush, remember what happen with who wrote ANH discussion wink

Jameous Woodshire
Ok then I'll bite my tounge. stick out tongue

Ushgarak
We have been over the brother thing before; this HAS been canonical for some time but it looks like one of the new films will override this totally.

As I also said a while back, there was a rumour going around that GL was considering changing the canon to just the films and nothing else, which would certainly make things a lot simpler for everyone, but it hasn't happened yet.

It is normally safe to assume that the only things that GL takes into account when writing are the films- I was interested to see that he made ADF make changes to Splinter of the Mind's Eye, but I still think it is just the films he considers.

I can't help thinking that Lucasfilm could have made this whole thing much simpler...

Your tongue ok, Jameous? Sorry if I sound a bit snobby; I really am only trying to report the facts here.

ratcat
Never said YOU did, but I like your version. Really, you must stop looking at everything I say as if I'm having a dig... wink I was actually complimenting you... smile

Ushgarak
I'm sorry, I really am, Just I was taking hassle about this from the moment I came here... I'm not used to people believing me... thanks.

ratcat
Then can we stick with this version of the facts?

Ushgarak
I have never changed version at any point. Seriously! I haven't. I have been saying the same thing about canon over and over again since Merc's EU topic back at the end of February.

Ushgarak
Woo-hoo!

'Ush-man,' though... sounds like some sort of dubious superhero.

Jameous Woodshire
Dy dhoung is doh kay. Dhanks.

laughing out loud

queeq
I ALWAYS believe you, Ush-man. You are, after all, my hero. big grin

queeq
Bad cold there.

But Ush, you ARE a dubious superhero. laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.