What do you think will be the best

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

phinney6
What episode do you think will be the best, and which one do you most look forward to seeing?

Edna_witch
I look forward to episode three to see how seemlessly they can make it all blend together with ANH.

phinney6
I almost think Episode II will be the best, becuase of what Lucas sadi about it.

Ushgarak
Seemlessly? Unlikely. But as I have already discussed with Phinney, I'll go for III as well.

phinney6
Yeah he may be wrong. He will probably be wrong, I go with III, but Lucas goes with twoo.

razman
I'm gonna say III for several reasons...

Moving topic to Ep2/3 forum...

phinney6
What reasons are those.

Darth Pants
Maybe Ep2 will be the last enjoyable Star Wars film. Episode 3 will probably be a hard hitting, character killing spree. I think Ep2 will be the more enjoyable film, but technically, Ep3 may be better.

phinney6
Thank-you Pants That is what I mean by the best (the most enjoyable)

ChelsiJediKnight
I believe that Episode III will be the best. I await for it with great anticipation. For me Episode III will be the ansering to the beginning of Episode IV. In my opinion it will answer alot of the questions and puzzling facts from the Episodes IV, V, VI. wink

razman
For the reasons described by the last couple of posters.

Although I am very much looking forward to Ep2, I think Ep3 will be the one that will answer most of the questions, be the darkest and have a more complicated storyline.

krautrocker
well it would be a nightmare if it turned out that episode 1 was the best of the three.

mah
kraut., ep.1 is not bad, as I can see you hinting to. mad

Ushgarak
Ineed, I agree. But that's opinion for you...

Darth Pants
I too am a huge fan of Ep1, and would not have wished it to he any different. It would be disappointing, however, if the later films became progressively worse.
I'm hoping that as Ep1 acted as the introduction (a very good one at that), Ep2 can kick off straight away into a complex plot with no need to explain many other characters' origins.

phinney6
OK you guys think III will be the best but what one will be the most enjoyable (That you like the most.)

Ushgarak
As a born critic, I would have to say they would be one and the same for me.

phinney6
WUhh??

Darth Pants
I think that Ep2 will be amore action packed,fun adventure which leaves the audience refreshed and happy, despite rumours of a cliffhanger ending.
We should enjoy this feeling for the next three years. After that, we'll see the characters we've grown close to die off, and Ep3 will leave the audience feeling more distressed, 1) because of the events witnessed and 2) because that's the end of Star Wars. Forever.
Ep3 could win oscars for best director, special effects, sound, acting, etc, and be regarded as the greatest film of all time, but it may be painful to see the events unfold, and hence the film will not be as enjoyable.

phinney6
I agree with you PANTS

Darth Pants
Thank you, someone who agrees with me on the concept that technically good film does not necessarily equal enjoyable one.
Take Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List, anyone who can say "Ahhhh!That was a jolly good! Anyone for a second viewing?" after seeing them wants checking. They are arguably great films, though.

Ushgarak
I do not agree. I will not let any harsh tone of Ep. III put me off it. I may even welcome it, so long as he can keep the Star Wars feel. I like harsh films, but I want a Star Wars film to stay Star Warsy

And I watched Schinder's List again and again, like I already had done with the book.

phinney6
Did it give you a happy feeling at the end seeing all the people killed. I think Ep. III will be the best and Ep. II the most enjoyable.

phinney6
OH BOY! there is mace windu right there boomg he is dead, Coll yaddle boomb she is dead, Oh wow Ki-Adi_amundi KABBBOOOMMMM, WOW!!! We just killed of the main character in Ep.III. I enjoy this killing so much! big grin big grin big grin big grin cool

Ushgarak
I'm sorry, I was rather under the impression that they got out alive at the end of Schindler's List. Yup, I'm right.

But I enjoy a film with a downbeat ending as much as one with a happy one. So long as it is a good film.

phinney6
YOur probably right anyway

phinney6
Hey queeq haven't heard from you yet:

Whatb do u think will be the most enjoyable Star wars Episode????

Jameous Woodshire
Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid come to mind. Thats a great film that the heros die at the end. I'll still watch it over and over, but not because of the ending, because its a great film.

As for the best episode, I would say it would have to be ANH. It has the best story, great charactor development, and a stand alone climax. If no other SW film was made I would still be very happy. All the other films are icing on my cake. wink

phinney6
I men't the best out of I II and III

Jameous Woodshire
Ok, well I'll have to wait for my final opinion, but I say for now it should be EP3 because of the final answers and the end of all the speculation. But it should also be cool because of the return of Vader and the Empire.

I've been waiting to hear the full Imp Theme again. *Dun Dun Dun dundedun dundedun*

ratcat
I think that Episode-III will fall below expectations because people will expect so much of it as the final chapter. That's not to say it will be bad though.

Darth Pants
People have had their own personally effective ideas of what the fall of Anakin and the rise of the Empire would be like since ANH was released decades ago. Ep3 is bound to disappoint because it will not be a perfect realisation of these ideas people have had. That's the greatest challenge for GL now.

ratcat
Not a challenge I'd like, that's for sure.

Ushgarak
Ah, the public... always the biggest problem for any budding sequel maker...

Mind you, he made ESB, didn't he?

Darth Pants
There wasn't as much at stake with making ESB, though. If ESB was awful, Star Wars would be known as two films, an excellent first film with a terrible sequel.
However, because the original trilogy was (pretty much) consistently such high quality and because we now have the idea that the OT has become 'antique', adding to them may be a disaster. Star Wars is like a Holy book to some at this stage.

Ushgarak
Well, if you say so. All I know was that most people thought that he could beat the original film, and everyone was shocked by ESB. The two films after that were subject to over-hype and public reavtion was more disappointing.

ratcat
I think the hype has gotten worse with each film, almost exponentially. I remember with ESB it was just a sequel to a very successful film, but by the time ROTJ was about to be released, you couldn’t turn on a TV without coming across some news on it.

And then we all know about TPM….And as for Episode 2, well nuff said!!!

Jameous Woodshire
Well, your right that the hype has let the public down, but even if ESB failed, there would have been ROTJ. GL had a contract for the other two films. Thats why we knew there would be a resolution even though we walked out in shock. I mean "What about Han?" And "Vaders Lukes father?" You were there you know.

SO as the same with ESB, EP2 will be hyped ,but the major hype will be for EP3. I still say EP3 will be the best for me. I just want to see something beat the TPM lightsabre fight and the ANH Dogfight/ trenchruns.

ratcat
That's true, ESB and ROTJ were basically made on the back end of the profits from ANH.

Lucas isn't Dumb, he knew he was on to a good thing.

Ushgarak
I don't think anything will quite beat the build up for TPM- it was such a long bloody wait, after all.

ratcat
I have to admit to not really being that much into it until about 4 months before the release.

Ushgarak
I'm sure, but we ALL heard the stories about some of the more nutty fans, yeah?

ratcat
You refer to the anti-legend that was Supershadow... Yes, Mr. Suttle was an annoying amusement....

Dim
He was only amusing for a very short time...

As for the best.. I think it'll be EP2. I like romances big grin

phinney6
Yes I like love stories with a lot of action with them big grin

Ushgarak
Couldn't ask for more, could you?

ratcat
But this reomance is going to end horribly, I don't like that at all......

phinney6
In EP.II the Romance will not end, that will probably happen in III

Ushgarak
Makes it seem all the more real to me.

phinney6
So I wonder if Episode II will gross more than the Mummy II

Darth Pants
It had better, I'll lose faith in humanity if it doesn't... The Ep2 love story will be unlike any other (unless you can tell me otherwise?), I can't think of a love story where one of the lovers becomes the most evil, infamous movie villain of all time...

Ushgarak
Tragic love stories are all OVER the place in mythology, where Star Wars gets its cue. Look at the Gods... fall in love withj one of them and you had just guaranteed a slaughter...

phinney6
Oh Epsiode II is going to be GREAT!!!

Darth Pants
OK Ush, has there ever been a love story where the hero has turned into a bionic, lightsabre-wielding, Force-strangling Sith Lord?! Disagree with that! laughing out loud
Sorry, just kidding. Episode 2 will be unique in its unfolding a ove story whihc will eventually lead to the birth of such a monster, who was known 20 years ago.

Ushgarak
Well, the Aeneid explores not dissimilar ideas, although the gap was far larger than 20 years...

GL happily admits his stuff is directly mythologically based. Hence all that Hero's Journey stuff.

Dim
That's true..and as for the gods.. there's Demeter and Hades..now give Hades isn't really an evil guy..but he does live in the underworld..

queeq
He got last in line while waiting for a job from Zeus. laughing out loud

phinney6
I wonder who was the first Jedi Ever.

Darth Pants
Someone who did what we all try to do, and managed to move a pen across a table or something like that.
It's a good question, did the Jedi come about through further research into high midichlorian concentrations, or was it one or more Force powerful beings theorising about the existence of the Force, who managed to seek out other such beings? I personally prefer to believe the latter.

queeq
Maybe through meditation.

Dim
Yeah..I could see it as a religous order who developed the understanding over a long period of time.. Maybe extreme mediditation=force control.

Ushgarak
I always saw it as far more of an innate understanding. I go with the theory that MCs created life in order to create the Force...

phinney6
Lets go see the great RAZ he will know

queeq
So, Ush, you're saying the MC's CREATED the Force???? That's interesting. So they are intelligent microscopic life forms, not just communicators? If this is true I'm not sure if I still like Star Wars...

Darth Pants
Yeah, Qui Gon's line about the MCs constantly speaking to us, telling us the will of the Force, would imply that the Force is an almighty power, which the Midichlorians may understand on a higher level to us. It depends how you mean 'created', if you're referring to the fact that the Force is created by all living things, you're probably right.

Ushgarak
Oh, I'm pretty sure they are intelligent, in an obscure sort of way. Qui-Gon makes out thst life is impossible without them. For them to create life which would in turn propogate the Force that is their home seems a very natural thing to me.

stupid
Whatever II and III are like, they have got to be better than that appalling, plotless Disney epic 'Episode I'. smokin' smokin'

Dim
OUCH..you might be happier with EP1 when you see how it relates to 2 and 3. MHO...OC.

ratcat
Don't agree it was plotless, there was a plot, it was just a lame plot.

Dim
I don't think it was that lame..I enjoyed it. I'll give you that it wasn't the best SW movie.

ratcat
Oh, don't get me wrong, I LOVED the film, saw it 3 times at the cinema and watch it a lot on vid.

But it was hardly the most original plot idea, and it was pretty predictable.

Dim
Well, the fact that we knew so much about it before hand really didn't help.

ratcat
Actually, I didn't really know that much at all until about 3 weeks before the film came out.

When I read the bopk I felt like I knew what was going to happen on the next page before I turned it.

Darth Pants
Then again, Episode 1 was an introduction, a good one at that. It is up to Eps 2 & 3 to decide how good Ep1 was really. If it wa a set up for nothing, it'll look silly. If it's a set up for a gripping couple of sequels and a fantastic whole saga, I won't bear a grudge at paying a fiver (well, several...) to see the start of something so great.
I do hope the mood changes, though. Less CG characters, more battles between humans with meaty blaster shots tearing flaming chunks out of armour, not those pretty lame pea-shooter blasts from Ep1.

queeq
I don't think Ep2&3 will be able to save Ep1. It will never be a classic, I'm afraid. It's just not a great film, and not a very good script.

Darth Pants
I agree about the script, everyone was waiting to say their piece, there was very little actual conversation.

ratcat
I guess, in the final analysis, Episode-I had a lot to do and achieved most of it, but at the expence of some quality. sad

Darth Pants
I watched it today, and I still don't think it could be much better. With Jedi taking lead roles as they did, there's bound to be some overdramatisation and pomposity in the dialogue. Jar jar being at completely the other end of the scale didn't help, an easy-going balance would have been better.

queeq
Of course it could have been better. There could have been a bit more of a background to these characters, there hardly was any as if these characters dropped out of the sky.
Also, R2 and 3PO were unnecessary for the story and most of it was quite rushed. Except for Tatooine which was fairly slow. GL could also have dropped the MC's as far as I'm concerned, I'll give him some leverage on that for the upcoming prequels.
And I think the link Sidious/Palpatine should have been made clear, that way we'd be more on the edge of our seats, feeling for Padme and how this is going to end. A bit like the ending of ANH.

Darth Pants
Well, introducing the droids at this stage allows Anakin to get back to Tatooine, and no-one will wonder where C3PO came from, his earlier introduction will save valuable time in what it sounding like a fairly fast moving film. I don't know where he's going with the Palpatine/Sidious thing, maybe he plans on the revelation being made to the characters as it is confirmed for the audience...

ratcat
YI think you're right on that one.

I also think queeq has a point about R2, why did they take him of Mos Espa????

queeq
Well, IMHO he didn't need the droids at all in the PT. They just serve as some kind of SW trade mark. Which I think is weak since the entire design and style of SW is (or should be) unique. If only GL believed in it a bit more...

And as for confirming the identity of Palpy to both the audience and the characters. I don't think that will happen. Spoilers have it that Dooku will meet Palpy and call him master or Lord Sidious or something. So we get it first as we should, but I felt we should have had that in EP1 as well. Now, neither Palpy or Sidious make any sense: one dimensional characters. To a non-fan that is, we know better. Yet, GL should have made it clear, perhaps he was afraid keeping this secrecy towards the main characters would be a hard thing to do for two movies straight. I think Sidious being revealed will take until Ep3. Dooku is Palpy's front man in Ep 2.

Dim
I think you're right about Palpy being revealed as Sidious, but I think this will give the Non-fans a better apreciation of the character in the end.

queeq
With the grand master of suspense in mind I must totally diagree with you. By doing that you expect non-fans to remember the two previous movies, including one from 6 years earlier. That is most unlikely to happen.

Dim
I can't see how it could do anything but help people take notice of Sidious. In OT he was pretty vague. Atleast this gives him a little bit of flair, so to speak.

ratcat
I think it has to be revealed in Episode-II, as queeq said, the general movie going public can easily forget.

Proably revealed in a similar way to the "I am your father.." scene with big confimation then appearing in Episode-III.

queeq
NOOOOOOOOOOO! Not the "I am your father"- line again. laughing out loud laughing out loud

ratcat
Not in that style, but just the idea that it is introduced further in the 2nd but only confirmed in the 3rd.

queeq
Just pulling your leg, RC.

Dim
Yeah, but he's got a point...I forgot that GL likes to pull stuff like that.

queeq
Well, that one was pretty good. Repetition will make it bad.

Ushgarak
Bad indeed! I think GL knows enough basic filmmaking not to do that.

queeq
Yup, he won't. Maybe we'll leave Ep2 with Anakin's face turning gloomy for some reason.

Ushgarak
I heard it was meant to end with a 'choice' of some sort.

queeq
Well, a sort of ambiguity yes. I mean, as far as I know, it ends with the wedding. With sort of the choice for a path to choose being there. Too bad we all know what path will be chosen. That's why the cliffhanger will never work as well as the one in ESB. I mean, I was wondering all the time before ROTJ came out, if Vader was right at all. If he was his true Father, or just symbolically as a father-of-evil that would make him become who he was: another dark Jedi, his destiny...
So that cliff really hung there, but this one...

Dim
Wait, I thought Ep2 was supposed to end on a down note like ESB?..Didn't McCallum say something about this one not ending with a parade or celebration?

queeq
There will be some kind of edge to the wedding I'm sure. But that must be the ending, otherwise the climax would be too early on in the film. The wedding is at the end, that much is clear. But Ani may be making a big mistake here, or something is revealed about the Clone Wars.
A spoiler has it that Yoda says something at the end of Ep2 along the lines of: "Begun the Clone Wars have..." Maybe Anakin's absence is what's causing a problem, who knows... Well, GL does.

Ushgarak
Doesn't really sound like what GL and co suggest when they say 'a choice'.

queeq
I don't know. How much choice does Anakin have anyway? He'll turn to the dark side. I mean, that's a little bit the problem with the PT anyway: we know what will happen. And we know who will survive into the OT. So getting us identifying with and feeling for Anakin is basically the biggest thing they can achieve, all the other things are just fun and exciting. I think having a cliffhanger on Anakin may not be the best choice.

Ushgarak
I disagree; I think the fact that we know lends it weight.

queeq
Possibly, depends whom his choice will affect. I think the big opportunity lies in Padme. We don't know much about her, only that she gets twins, but we don't know what will happen to her. Hopefully GL will milk that.
As for the rest, there's only OB1 and we already know how that ends.

Dim
Actually that would be very cool and unexpected..but I can't even begin to speculate what he would do to use her in a cliffhanger.

BuGnozhipper

Ushgarak
Nice to see another Ep I defender...

Nice to meet you, Siggi... and a good line you have there as well! Post a hello in the Welcome forum, why don't you?

queeq
Hey Siggi H, good to see an Icelander among us. Fun to see an Episode I defender, not that I agree with you, but good to have one like that around.

Anyway, I'm afraid we've gone slightly off topic. And there it is...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.