Storylines, all movies need them, which ones have em which ones don't

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Fire
since there seems to be a lot of discussion about this topic here is a place to debate the matter ON topic

I think a great story line is what makes a good movie a great movie
and a story line is about more than just the plot, the twists, the unexpected, it is also about giving characters some depth and things like that.

some movies with great story lines are
the sixth sense, the usual suspects, reservoir dogs and so on...

BackFire349
i agree with you, having a good story is usually a must. however, i dont agree that a great story has to have a twist, in fact, i think twists are the writers way to cover up a pretty shady story line. usual suspects and sixth sense are good examples of this. both movies were good, but the writer knew that if he didnt end them with a 'shocking' ending, that no one would care or remember them. fight club also suffers from this. alot of movies rely on teh twists in their plots to keep us watching, id rather be entertained by innovation, not manipulation.

Also, a good complex story line is not always a must for a movie to be good. some of the best movies have the simplist storylines. One flew over the cuckoos nest for example, possibly the best movie ever made, also quite possibly the simplist movie, just about some people in a mad house. same with requiem for a dream, a great movie with a simple story. what both these movies have instead of a complex storyline, is something that i feel is even more important and skillfull then a good storyline, and thats having great character development, if you care deeply about the characters on screen, then you dont care if there are twists and turns all over the place, its something thats alot more difficuld, making an audience care for a character that isnt real. it takes alot more skill to do that, because anyone can think of a twist to a story, not anyone can make an audience cry at the pain a character is feeling.

Fire
sorry if it came out I didn't mean it like that

a simple story line can be a good one too, that is what I tried to explain

ragesRemorse
when a movie doesnt have a good plot it always blows but is excepted with explosions and car chases. look at about 90% of all movies out now
But sometimes movies with good story lines suck just as bad if the diddnt have one at all. writers get good ideas but dont know how to put it together and deliver it and bad directing and even worse acting effect that aswell. Agood movie is all about how the story is delivered

Fire
yea but it needs a good story
you can deliver a sucky story in a fantastic way but if you can prodict everything that will happen, if it are all flat characters without an emotion in the movie

then it ain't a great movie

lukeyduckey
I like a gd storyline, something which makes me care about the charcter, but soemtimes we need a gd laugh. Which somefilms provide.

sargoth7
let's not forget the soundtracks
who here would like to see jaws without the music? not half the effect.
what would star wars be like if the opening titles rolled across the screen in silence?

lukeyduckey
Being burnt by everyone sargot7

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.