USH'S LOTR RP Game part 2- The Fortress of Baranar

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Fornost-Erain, 1972 TA

Winter comes and it is a cold one- they have been growing colder, lately. The cold makes supplied travel of forces nearly impossible. The flood of refugees fleeing from eastern Cardolan into the west or south, or Arthedain, becomes a trickle, and then stops. What has become of those remaining in the east of Cardolan is unknown. Raiders and warbands now swarm though the north and east of Cardolan with impunity.

But no occupying invasion comes. As the batte Lords of Arthedain knew, the Witch-King has no mind to waste his time further devastating Cardolan, a 'kingdom' in name only, already shattered and wasted. The west and south of Cardolan survives still, its people untroubled, even uncaring. Instead, his vast army continues to swell to the north, and it looks only one way- towards Arthedain, last of the once mighty human Kingdom of Arnor, and its capital, Fornost.

In Arthedain, ther eis much work to do. Work continues on the great row of fortifcations will keep the Witch-King at bay. For now, at least, the quarrel between those who want to take the fight to the Witch-King and those who want to stay at the walls and let the Witch-King come to them abates- during the winter, no offensive campaign is possible. The south of Arthedain is secure indeed- but a great swathe of it to the north is vulnerable, nearer to Angmar itself. Arthedain's northern army is hard pressed to patrol the whole border, far from its supplies. But nearing completion now is the great northern fortress of Embylosse, key in Arthedain's defensive strategy. The men work tirelessly through the winter to complete it. Meanwhile, new men are trained. Arthedain's armies slowly grow. They train, they patrol. Skirmishes are fought, men die, as do Dunlendings and Orcs.

In Fornost itself, great effort is made for life to carry on as normal. People go about their work. Foreign visitors are received, openly, as ever. People still willing to brave the roads through Arnor can find safety here. A mighty tournament is planned for later in the year. But the mithril shipment from Gondor has not yet arrived, and no more word is heard from Rivendell. Nor did anyone expect any.

Malbeth the Seer dies during the Winter. Gandalf the Grey attends his funeral, and then rides East, and has not been seen since, nor is expected. Vardalain, you hear rumour Gandalf rode to see Elrond to discuss Malbeth's death, but where he went hence, you know not. No-one speaks of the weight of Malbeth's Prophecy at his funeral.

Yet it is familiar to all here. King Arvedui- the Last King, named by Malbeth himself- a man with uncommon perception. He said to Arvedui's father:

"Arvedui you shall call him, for he will be the last in Arthedain. Though a choice will come to the Dunadain, and if they take the one that seems less hopeful, then your son will change his name and become King of a Great Realm. If not, then much sorrow and many lives of men shall pass, until the Dunadain arise and are united again."

Arvedui is a fair and just and wise and strong King indeed, but always has he had to deal with the legacy of his name an Malbeth's words- one of many prophecies he made, many still to be deciphered.

Arevedui has tried to beat the Prophecy before. When the King of distant Gondor died, Areveudi had good claim to the throne, and offered himself as King, to unite the two split Kingdoms of Arnor and Gondor and create on firm Kingdom of man, to re-create the legacy of Elendil and Isildur. His marriage to a Gondorian Princess, finally opening up relations between the two Kingdoms again, had done much for his cause. Said Arvedui, when Gondor said that only by Isildur's brother could descent be claimed in Gondor:

"Elendil had two sons, of whom Isildur was the elder and the heir ofnhis father. We have heard that the name of Elendil stands to this day at the head of the line of the Kings of Gondor, since he was accounted the king of all lands of the Dundadain. When Elendil still lived, the conjoint rule in the South was committed to his sons, but when Elendil fell, Isildur departed to take up the high Kingship of his father, and committed the rule of the South in like manner to the son of his brother. He did not relinquish his royalty in Gondor, nor intend that the realm of Elendil should be divided forever."

To this Gondor made no reply- for they had none, only a great- though understandable- pride that led them to choose one of their own, the great hero Earnil, as King instead. Arvedui's dream of a united Kingdom was dashed- but Earnil at least is a fair man who is willing to send at least some material support north.

With no support from anywhere, Arthedain faces the great menace of Angmar and its Witch-King alone. Little hope can be seen in defeating those huge forces. Yet Arvedui has a new plan, to save Arthedain and defeat his prophecy. His efforts now look not east to Angmar, but south to ruined Cardolan. Arnor was long hence split into three, but now Arvedui plans to take this option of little hope- as prophecised- and attempt re-union with Cardolan, to make a new, strong Kingdom with him at the head. And Arvedui intends this Kingdom to be a rallying point for all of the free world to see how the Witch-King can be resisted, should those free peoples choose to come together as one and oppose him.

And so, King Arevedui, in pursuit of his plan, has made great effort to bring together those from disparate parts of Middle-Earth, to make their acquaintence nd afriendship and show them the peril he faces, so that they might come together and demonstrate his dream of an Alliance of Races. Most recently, a group of travellers coming to Fornost for various reason who helped save Arvedui's daughter from capture by a deep penetrating orcish raiding band have won his gratitude and agreed to help him. These are the players from the last story, but if you a new player, Arevedui has equally welcomed you and brought you into his plan.

Winter is giving way to Spring and the time to do things comes. There has been much diplomatic contact between Fornost and the northern landowners in western Cardolan, closest to Bree and where the Halflings live, Something is expected to happen with Arevedui's plan soon.

All of you players have rooms in the great palance at Fornost- as honoured guests you have luxtury accomodation. All of you now may talk of what you have been up to, your opinions, your plans, you may disucss matters with each other- and new players may introduce themselves.

Fire
Argentis enters the courtyard looking for an elf, when he finds one (any elf player can responnd) he says:"Master elf I am Argentis, I come from the eastern side of the Misty mountains, Where I left to find my half-brother Zeratul, a half-elf. By the time I reached Gondor they told me he had departed for Fornost so, have you seen him?"

(Argentis has long Blond/Brown hair, and green eyes, he's rather tall about 6 ft 5', he seems to be pretty heavy and he carries a sword)

Dexx
Vardalain smiles at the newcomer.
"Zeratul is companion in our travelling. You may find him inside" he says pointing at the door.

Fire
"Thank you I will not forget this"

Argentis runs through the door, almost nocking down a servant, After a while finding Zeratul.

The meeting is short and a bit weird (since this is the first time they meet)

After a while Argentis comes walking back out, and heads over to Vardalain: "If you and others agree I will take my brothers place in this group of travellers"

Dexx
"we are alway keen of new volunteers to our goal, but you will have to speak with aranui, for replacing zeratul." says Vardalain

Fire
"I will"

Ushgarak
(Argentis was actrually the name of a Jedi in my SW game... this is going to cause me a headache...)

Aranui is busy aiding Turambar during these days; there is no specific group leader at this time.

In a little while I shall post up a thread listing all the important personages around you can talk to.

Fire
(cool, want me to change names?)

Ushgarak
No need.

Fire
(okie)

Phoenix
Aiwendil rode through the gates on her piebald mare, singing an Elvish ballad softly to her self. Her long fawn hair was pulled back in a straight tail, and she simply wore a murky brown tunic coupled with pale grey breeches. She was barefoot, with her boots, along with a stout hazel staff, slung on the mare's back. The quiver of arrows along with a ready bow completed the picture - this was a hardy traveller, not a soft maiden of the Elven nobility.

Fire
"Hmmm is there an elf gathering here or something of that nature?"

Phoenix
Aiwendil scanned quickly about, and upon seeing no others, walked quickly up to the two, leading her mare behind her.
"Sirs, could you direct me to the nearest area where I may care for my mare? She has traveled hard today, and she needs rest."

Fire
"It is a fine animal indeed madame, but doesn't it have a name?"

Fitch
Palanfirith is walking inside the room where they we're talking.
"hello my dear friends.For those who don't know me I'm Palanfirith,An elf mastered in bow and knifes.
It's good to see all of you here !What are you up too?"
(so good beeing an elf.U're not so cold stick out tongue )

Fire
"This lady is looking a place for her mare"
turning over to the lady:"Excuse me I didn't catch your name or the name of your mare"

Phoenix
Aiwendil smiled. "I am Aiwendil, sir. My lady here is named Iarbeleth, as she is the swiftest of all her kin. May I enquire unto your name, good sir?"

Fire
"My name is Argentis, and you will find, "suitable" accommodations for Iarbeleth over there that is were Emoras is resting now."

Phoenix
Aiwendil lead Iarbeleth over to the spacious stable, leaving her a good measure of hay and plenty to drink. she then returned to the inner courtyard, planning to become better aquainted with the companions there. She had had little chance to meet others on her lonely journey from Firien Wood.

Fire
"I think I'm going for a ride soon"

Phoenix
"I feel like a walk. Are there any forests nearby? I find the trees very relaxing - I've lived under branches for all my childhood."

Ushgarak
There are small woods, but the nearest major forest is a fair bit south.

Fire
"hmm I passed a few woods before I arrived"

Phoenix
"In which direction? From what I could see, there was a deciduous to the north-east, but they depress me in winter - there is no life or vivacity."

Fire
" well from the south east further down their should be some forrests"

Ushgarak
"You Elves ride strangely," says a man, walking down the stairs to the courtyard. "No saddles or stirrups. How you teach them so is beyond me, and there is little I do not know of horses."

The man, who is not unnattractive and whose large scar on the left side of his face could even be seen as quite manly rather than disfiguring, has bloinde hair and blue eyes and wears a green cloak- presumably just as Argentis does. He also wears the emblem of your people, Argentis- a white horse on a green background.

He bows to Aiwendil, courteously.

"You are Argentis?" he asks.

Ushgarak
Players should note this thread:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11085

Bespin Bart
Anglomir had been sleeping soundly in his room and had just awoken to the sound of a knock at his door. He stayed under his covers while the maidens delivered his mighty breakfast that he had asked for. When they left, he stretched his arms and dressed in his finest wares...those being his clothes he had traveled from Gondor to Rivendell to Arnor in. The caked mud and dried Orc blood had been cleaned from it, and it had been resewn in many places by the Arnorian tailors. Then he sat down to his breakfast of grilled venison and poached eggs before walking into the courtyard.

"Good morning to you, Vardalain," Anglomir called merrily, stretching his arms. "And the rest of you unfamiliar faces..."

Dexx
"good morning Anglomir" says vardalain turning to him.

Fire
"Yes I am, and who might you be, I didn't know we had a representative here, for I didn't know I would end up here"

turns to Anglomir: "hey there"

Ushgarak
"Ny name is Marakith," says the Eothian. "I spoke with your half-brother. I would talk with you alone, if you willl..."

Captain REX
"Good morning, Marakith, Vardalain, Anglomir," Talin called as he walked into the courtyard. He yawned, a deep hearty yawn, showing that he was evidently tired.

Fire
not disturbed by the ill mannard dwarf, Argentis said: "Sure lead the way"

Ushgarak
Each of the players from the original game found a note by Lord Gorlim on their doors today asking for them to meet him at midday- it seems something is afoot. Meanwhile, why don't you all say hi to the new Elf, get a feeling as to why she is here, what kind of girl she is...

Marakith leads you to his room, Argentis, which is full of maps and various half-written dispatches.

"Excuse the mess," he says. "Good journey?"

Fire
"The mess is not a problem, the roads were long but Emoras carried me trough without a problem"

Dexx
Vardalain keeps the note he found in his pocket. In the meantime he goes to greet the new comer.
"so tell me, Aiwendil.." he says " what brings you to these distand lands?"

Phoenix
"Since I was old enough to hold a staff, I've had to protect my beloved wood from Men who steal wood to burn. Now that we have an allegience with the Ents of Fangorn, they protect Firien for us, and I am no longer fettered by my duties. I've decided that, having spent 600 years in one place, I want to see as much of Middle Earth as I possibly can. Do you live here sir, or is it by chance you come here?"

Ushgarak
"Indeed," says Marakith, "the Dunlending raiders have little taste for targets on horseback. Not yet, anyway. Now, I am a practical man, Argentis, so I want to get down to business. I am here to gather information for Frumgar about the situation here that... worries us and all our people."

Worries indeed. The mountain kingdom of Angmar has its western border on Arnor, of course (Rhudaur, to be more accurate). And from there the Witch-King pours forth his malice into his Kingdim. But on his EASTERN border, the other side of the mountains, Angmar borders directly on the Anduin Valley- your home. Your people are still building their new nation since the Wainriders were defeated. Angmar could snuff you out easily in these vulnerable years. All that is stopping this is that Angmar has bigger things to worry about- Arthedain.

"I am keeping regular dispatches to our home on the state of Arthedain's defences and whether she seems likely to stand or fall," says Marakith. "But that job is getting more complicated now and I need your help."

Dexx
"me and my coleague palanfirith come as representatives of imladris" says vardalain

Phoenix
Aiwendil bowed her head. "I did not know, sir. I am a mere astaldo - forgive my approach, I did not know you were of the Great Elves of Imladris."

((ooc - astaldo is Elvish for Guardian))

Dexx
"no need for that, Aiwendil" says Vardalain "there are no rankings separating us"

Phoenix
She smiled at the taller Elf. "Thank you sir. I am often looked down on because of my mixed breeding, but I see you and your companion are above such things."

Dexx
"ofcourse, we are both against a common enemy. There's no point for arguments inside our fellowship."

Ushgarak
(Good Lord, Vardalain, you are humble for a Noldor! You won't see Palanfirith acting like that...)

Dexx
(i know!...it just that i'm feeling nice now. But no worries..i'll get aggravated enough during the day...i'll get back on trackbig grin)

Fire
"What would you have me do?"

Ushgarak
"It's very simple," says Marakith. "The heart of Arthedain looks secure enough to me, but I understand there are problems in the north, which I intend to check out. However, I cannot be everywhere at once. Now, I understand you want to help Zeratul's friends with their business here. It is to my understanding that they will be journeying south to Cardolan.

"Now, I have no information on the state of Cardolan's defences and their preparedness for possible attack. Based on the eastern half of the Realm I would say they had no defences at all, but apparently it is different in the west and south. Well, I need more information than maybes

"All you have to do for me is, whilst you are in Cardolan, keep your eye out for the way things are there. Do they have the will to fight? The capacity? And if so, how long will they last? How difficult will the Witch-King find a campaign there? You will be acting as a representative of our people in this matter. I am sure you will do this service, yes?"

Fire
"I will, everything for the Eotheod, but I have some questions of my own on which I need answering"

Ushgarak
"Of course," says Marakith, clearing some room on his desk.

Fire
"How do these men fight?, Quantity is one thing, but Quality is another, are they skilled with blades or bows? do they have anything that will match up to our cavalry? do they have a good chain of command? Those are all things I need to take into account for my report"

"I will also be needing some goods"

Fitch
(Palanfirith sat behind and listened the speech)
He was thinking: "Since when I am ordered to do favors for men?If master Elrond didn't made us deal with these humble people,I would be far away.The good part is that I have a good company in my tasks,they would help me if I would need it."
(he joins his company in the courtyard and listens carefully)
(is that too Nordor?or is it good?I wanna get the character very good before we leave)

Ushgarak
Who are you responding to, Palanfirith?

-

"There is no such thing as a single Cardolani force," says Marakith. "So the properties of the armed forces of the individual Lordships you find there will be YOURS to judge."

Fitch
(to noone.as I said I was thinking,like,talking to myself.wanted to check my character if it's Nolldor enough smile.is it? )

Fire
(sounds about right, tho maybe a bit more caring, something like, and ofc. we have to help the humans solve their own mess)

"ok, then I'd better hope they have some good men, I will leave as soon as my companions are ready, goodbye and may good speed your horse " Bows, turns around and walks out of the room

Fitch
(we we're in a yard wink big grin )
"I am ready!Can't wait to travel again,these camps make me feel weird.."

Ushgarak
I meant whose speech were you listening to, Fitch! And this isn;t a camp, it is an enormous city!

No-one believes in 'God', Fire; there is Ilvutar- who made everything- but other than that the peoples worship the Valar, who are powerful beings that the oldest Elves knew personally, not Gods as we would recognise them. Your people rever the Valar but are actually well into Nature worshi- Fertility, cycle of the seasons, cult of the Stag... anything for an excuse to drink and be merry, really...

It is coming up time for the players from the first game to meet with Gorlim in his chambers. But just passing you guys- on the way to the stables out for a morning ride- is Prince Elendur- looking stunningly attractive and well-groomed as ever- and his retinue.

"Good morning," he says cheerfully as he passes you guys.

He takes two more steps,- then stops. Turns around. And comes back over, heading straight towards Aiwendil.

"And good morning to YOU, my Lady! I do not believe I have had the pleausre of seeing your Fair features in our Palace before..."

Fire
"I think I'm gonna go for a ride, Emoras?!"

Dexx
"good morning your highness" briefly murmurs vardalain.
(so how do we get to the meeting)

Captain REX
"What have I missed?" Talin asks with another yawn.

Fitch
"Nothing much,just a long story." says Palanfirith.
*he continues his walking as nothing happened.he doesn't say anything to the prince and tries to get to meeting faster*

Phoenix
Aiwendil fixed the, what she thought, foppish dandy with a steely gaze.
"I arrived here yesternoon. This is my first visit here, so you would, of course, never seen me before. You must excuse me - I must tend to my goods."

Ushgarak
Whoa, foppish dandy! Eeek, this is a Dunadan Prince, Phoe- a direct descendant of Elrond! He's wearing a nice sword as well...

(and remember its only non-Dundadan that the Noldor actively ignore, Palanfirith... and Elendur being a Prince actually ranks him above you!)

"Please, allow me to help," Elendur says. "We seem to be blessed with Elves lately. What brings you here?" He snaps his fingers.

"But I am being rude. My name is Elendur, and I have the honour of being a Prince of this realm. I would like to officially welcome you to our fair city of Fornost-Erain!"

Getting to Gorlim's Chamberlain's offices is very easy, Vardalain- are the veteran players all off to see him then? (Argentis- you can go too if you wish...)

Fitch
*to be erased*

Dexx
Well..i head to gorlim

Ushgarak
The Chamberlain's offices appear to be a cacophonous nightmare of running servants, bits of paper, and the occasional large pile of coinage. Gorlim is giving out instructions to half a dozen people near him, sounding stressed.

"Tell those idiots at Bree that if they don't want to pay import duties they can go and trade somwhere else... try Rhudaur, see if they welcome them THERE...

... ah, Vardalain, Palanfirith, you are here. Excellent. And the others?"

Dexx
"they should be arriving...shortly" says Vardalain

Phoenix
"I do not mean to offend you sire, but I can manage perfectly well by myself. i do not need your's or anyone else's assisstance."

Fitch
"We are all here,sire.So please,tell us why we we're called." says Palanfirith.

Ushgarak
"Well, you two will do for now..." says Gorlim, shuffling a few papers around. "I trust things are well with you? Enjoying your stay at our capital? Any word from Elrond?" he asks, hopefully.

-

"Oh, but I insist!" says Elendur. He turns to his servants and speaks a few words to them in Adunaic- a language you kind of understand, Aiwendil, but you have never heard it spoken before. The servants start work on your stuff. "I shall arrange you a room also."

He then speaks to you in Sindarin.

"And you are a fair and hardy Elven shieldmaiden and deserve all the hospitality we can give you"

"You must meet my father," he continues. "Any visitor from our Eldar cousins to this place is someone he wants to meet."

Dexx
"none" says Vardalain coldly ( i assume there were none)

Fitch
"we haven't heard anything from master Elrond from some time now,this is the first place we stopped since we left Rivendell.Is there something troubleing you?" says Palanfirith.
and then looks at Elendur and says in Sindarin:
"Thank you for your hospitality but we don't tend to stay here too long since we have other things to do"

Ushgarak
Fitch, you are nowhere near Elendur...

No, there has been no word from Elrond.

"There is always something troubling me," says Gorlim. "Organising a Kingdom whilst fighting a war is never easy. But never mind that. Things are happening at last! The first part of Arvedui's plan is coming together, and he wants your help, as you offered him..."

(Fitch- Dexx offered that help so you are in that category by default)

Dexx
"of course, as elrond's emissaries, we will help in any way we can"

Ushgarak
"Good!" he says. "Well, as you are aware, our King is interested in opening up relations with the remaining intact parts of Cardolan, with a veiw of unifying the two 'Kingdoms' into one new, strong whole. Unfortunately, there are a considerable number of problems with that plan..."

Dexx
"like..what elrond has to say about it"

Ushgarak
Gorlim raises an eyebrow.

"I don't think the Royal Council enormously cares what Elrond thinks about it... though the King himself is always keen to open fresh relations with Rivendell and we are ALL glad of your presence, of course, you Elves have never taken much interest in human political affairs.

"No, the problem is Cardolan itself. The myriad Lords and other landowners of Cardolan might not take too kindly to us simply declaring our ownership of Cardolan, and relationships between these Lords and the Arnorian Royal Line have been... difficult... at times..."

By which Gorlim means, but does not wish to mention, that Arthedain and Cardolan were once hostile to each other- ruled by seperate descendants of Isildur, both of whom claimed to be the true line of Kings (with Rhudaur claiming a third true line, but not lasting very ling).

Cardolan's royal family is long dead, and Cardolan no longer a unified nation, but the people there do not recognise Arthedain's royalty, and every little Lord who wants power claims relation to the Dunadan bloodline.

Dexx
"as hard as it may seem fot them...they have to see, that if they don't accept, they will fall" says Vardalain

Ushgarak
"Well, I wish everyone saw it that way," says Gorlim, "but they do not; they are merely common men and do not have the vision of us Dunadain or you Elves... and I must say I have little confidence that this plan will ever come together. If Cardolan was ever going to be worth anything again, it would have happened already. Still! We can but try, at least we will be trying something..."

Fitch
"and you know what that something is ?"

Ushgarak
(errr, yes he does, the planned unification, about which he is talking)

Fitch
( I meant the plan how to do that )

Dexx
"how are we going to act in this..unification?" asks Vardalain

Ushgarak
Gorlim finally puts his papers down.

"The King himself will give you the details," he says. "But we are organising a diplomatic visit to Cardolan itself. His Majesty feels that the presence of a wide diversity of peoples in the party he sends will help prove his point about how this is a unification of peoples against the Witch-King, rather than a simple political move by Arthedain."

Dexx
"i see" ponders vardalain. "i must say...we are here to help this cause, but lord elrond will be hard to raly"

Fire
(sorry pc trouble I followed too)

Fire
"If it is ok by you and your king, I'd like to come as a representative of my people, Altho I hope you are not misleading us and that it is souly about unification against the witchking. We've lived in slavery long enough to know that it isn't a good thing, and I will not help anyone to bring it on others"

Ushgarak
"It IS about unifying against the Witch-King, But also our Royal line IS the rightful ruling one of those lands. For Arvedui's plan to work he must be King and ruler of them all."

"But my thanks, I am sure Arvedui will be gladdened by further company. As for Lord Elronds... well, that is not my department. I am unsure if we have any plans to persuade your kin to help- we have tried for centuries without success, after all."

Fitch
"I think me and Vardalain should help you with our presence in this diplomatic visit as this is our task here,as about master Elrond I cannot be sure his opinion in this matter.Me and vardalain should reflect upon this matter.." says Palanfirith.

Fire
"Is there anything else we must know?"

Ushgarak
"Not from me. And very well," says Gorlim. "I understand we have a new Elven visitor? I would imagine the King would want to speak to her first, then he will address you and the Royal Council on the mission straight after!"

Fitch
"But of course." says Palanfirith.
*he takes vardalain and talks upon the task,waiting for Aiwendil to come and speak*

Fire
*Stands around looking at all the people*

Damn this is no way to fight a war, fighting in these flee infested towns

Ushgarak
Fornost is considerably cleaner than anywhere in the Anduin valley, Argentis! But it is more like Osgiliath than Minas Tirith (called Minas Anor at this time, and Osgiliath being the Gondorian capital)- it is not a vast fortress. It has city walls but it is far from impregnable. However, the quality of the walls and armaments is top notch- far better than you have ever seen anywhere before. Much of it is rather beautiful as well; it was built in a time when men could still remember the glory of Numenor, and some of it was re-created here. The people seem exceptionally relaxed, as well, for a country at war. Still, nearly all of the young men you see are in uniform.

(just giving Phoenix a little more time)

Now, you are going to be dealing with common men in this mission, Vardalain and Palanfirith, so gloves on and try not to breathe too deeply... heh... of course, if any of you want to say that your time with humans has softened your attitude, feel free...

Fire
(I personaly prefere wood to stone, so I still don't like it)

Ushgarak
Well, what you don't like is the idea that you always stay in one place. Stone causes that mentality.

Fire
(we're on the lvl ush)

Dexx
*straps breathing mask on*

Ushgarak
I'll take that as a no-softening then... you hope they smell better than horse-boy here...

Dexx
yeah..no softening, definitely. i have to roughen up a little

Fire
(hehe this is gonnq be fun)

Fitch
same thoughts here.can't wait!!
(pathetic humans evil face

Ushgarak
One assumes Rex will be back once he stops being grounded for being a big dangerous psychopath...

Ok, is there anything anyone wants to do before the Royal Council meets? To save trouible, you are ALL invited.

Dexx
(if hitting on Jennifer Connelly ergh, i mean princess mallachiel rules out..then no..i doubt i wanna do anything)

Ushgarak
You would have to join the queue, I think!

Phoenix
((huh?!?!?!?))

Phoenix
((btw, what sort of role will I be playing here? cos I just seem to be spending most of my time putting my foot in my mouth... teehee...))

Dexx
(oh..don't worry...there will be plenty of action. rex is grounded for bullying a guy at school, that beast!! that monster!!evil face )

Ushgarak
Just giving time for everyone to turn up and settle in, Phoe, before the slaughter... umm... I mean the plot starts. I was rather keen on you talking to the King, Phoe, so you have a reason to hook up with these other people.

Phoenix
((k. erm... how?))

Fire
no nothing to do till the meeting

Phoenix
((k. Fire, we are discussing the you and yerss thing in your thread! come along, its amusing!))

Fitch
(keep it to the subject plz and I think it would be better to go to the meeting right away
as P.S:Phoe,you have such a small sig that my finger hurts using the scrool wheel so much wink stick out tongue)

Ushgarak
Fire wasn't talking to you, Phoe! But I think the hint about meeting the King is whewn Prunce Elendur said you should meet him...

Phoe is still with Elendur, the rest of you are in the anteroom to the Council Chambers. The King is still in his throne room, but the rest of the Council (minus Elendur) is here, discussing matters that make you feel rather like outsiders. Farael and Morsire, in particular, seem to be arguing over something, with a map of the realm in front of them. Aranarth is leaning back and watching the others. He nods at you people as you enter.

Fire
argentis looks around the room, what does it look like?
are their chairs, which could be ment for us or anything like that?
if not then I cross my arms and keep looking around a bit
(btw I am still in battle dress right?)

Dexx
vardalain enters the room and quietly finds himself a spot to wait for the meeting to start

Ushgarak
The Council Chamber is very much Arthurian- it is a large stone chamber with an enormous round table in the middle. Howeveer, it is not QUITE Arthurian- whilst the Council mebers sit aroun the table, a seperate throne-style chair is set nearby for Arvedui, slightly higher than the rest of the room.

You can dress how you like, Argentis, though, full battle gear looks highly out of place in such an environment. Even Farael is dressed in smart clothing

When you sit (on chairs provided, though not at the table), Morsire starts taking in a loud voice that you can obviously hear, Vardalain.

"What occurs to me," he says, "is that if the Elves ceased their defensive posture and invaded Rhudaur from the south- maybe bringing Carneth Brin itself under siege- then the Witch-King would be obliged to bring his forces south to defend it on pain of losng his Dunlending allies, who allow him to operate during the day, a vital part of his war machine... this would, of course, leave US with a great opportunity to invade Angmar itself..."

A silence hangs over the table and the room as the implication takes hold on everyone.

Fire
(hmm well I'll leave of the plates and put on something more fancy, but I will keep my chainmail on)
and I remain standing leaning against the wall for now

Dexx
(can i speak freely?)

Ushgarak
No-one seems to be telling you to stay quiet or anything, Vardalain- without the King here, this talk is all unofficial.

Fire
*looks at the elves*

Dexx
"this is a delicate matter, gentlemen" says Vardalain standing up. "the elves are at great risk if following this plan. great risk of leaving imladris defenseless. a defeat would be fatal"

Ushgarak
"Ahhh..." says Morsire. "The Elves fear defeat. Of course..."

Fire
This could get ungly

whispers through his teeth:"I think the elf is right"

Dexx
"don't we all fear defeat?" says vardalain offuscated "you would leave the whole realm to the witch king's own will in case of a defeat"

Ushgarak
"Maybe the Elves are already conquered by fear..." says Morsire, in a mock musing voice.

Fire
Children, lil' Children
"We should all unite or we will fall. If we do not learn to work together we will fall. Ofcourse the elves fear defeat, but so do your people. You can not expect Imladris to mount the small army it has and ride head on into battle without having any support at all. And where would your army be in this plan?"
Still whispering tho a bit louder now

Dexx
"i shall not stand hear and hear your insults!" says vardalain angered. (to morsire) Whatever your conclusions, you need us in this war and mockery will not strenghten your relations, especially when the role you have for the elves is bait, it seems"

Ushgarak
"Doing the hard work in invading Angmar," sayd Morsire. "And we all know the power Rivendell could command if it so wished- as it did when Cardolan was last invaded!"

"On the other hand," interjects Farael, "what might happen is that once the Witch-King sees the Elves are committed in Rhudaur, he will take that as a sign it is safe to invade Arthedain with the forces he cares about, his orcs and trolls and beings of power."

"Maybe," says Morsire. "Something to think about though."

"Yes well," says Aranarth, authoratively, "regardless of that, there is no question of offensive strategy until Emyblosse is finished and our north is secure, and I see little point in in in musing on could-bes until then."

Fire
"Maybe, but if it is as I fear then, it isn't the desire of the witch-king to destroy you rather than conquer you and then I think We should all work together. Elves, Men, Dwarves and Hobbits, if needs be, to make sure that it stops here and now. How will we do this I do not know yet, What I do know is that we will not gain much by sitting here accusing one another of being cowards. When we all DAMNWELL know we will need eachother in the years to come. And when it comes down to our friends will be there for us"

Ushgarak
(No-one is entirely sure)

Fire
(Then that is what I think and I say it as it is edited)

Ushgarak
Aranarth looks upon you as if you had escaped his notice beofre now, Argentis.

(and a lot of them are currently thinking 'Halflings? What have THEY got to do with anything?')

"The more that stand against the Witch-King the better, of course," he says. "But it is just us. For now."

"Only the Dunadain can unite the peoples of Middle-Earth," says Annphor, whom you have not heard speak before. "And no-one else will listen."

"Anyway," continues Aranarth, "right now this makes little difference to our strategy, which has to be about making sure we can hold out first before we go anywhere. Besdies which, we are not here to talk about strategy, but about Cardolan."

Fire
"True, please proceed, it is just that war is at hand and all this council does is bigger. I am not used to that."

Dexx
"proceed with your arguments" says Vardalain still disturbed, and sits down now

Fire
*gives a look of appreciation to the elf*

Ushgarak
(Fire, your people aren't even FIGHTING, that was an rather crass comment!

You seriously need to build a working relationship with these people! They are the most powerful people in the human world)

"Didn't anyone tell you that debate is the right of every man, horserider?" says Morsire. "Our people are dying in their hundreds each week as we hold back a darkness that would sweep your people aside if we faltered. So be sure that we take great care in making sure that every plan we think of is subject to scrutiny, criticism and debate. I am sorry if that does not suit your nomadic instincts but when you have to run the most powerful Kingdom on the planet rather than an array of stables, then just maybe you can comment!"

Aranarth raises a hand.

"This is pointless," he says. "We shall remember to treat our guests of the King with respect. But you should remember you are guests here."

Fire
"I apologize, it is not my place to decide what is right or wrong for your kingdom. Ofcourse I have no idea how to run a kingdom, since we are a young state ourself. Since we are a young nation, we do not have great matters to deal with. So as you said I do not know how to tell with them."

Dexx
vardalain adds nothing. He is troubled by the dunadan's air of supperiority he seems to think he has

Ushgarak
(and you a Noldor... (giggles))

Do remember when they say things like 'only the Dunadain can unite the free world' and complaining about the close vision of common man, I am afraid they are right- with the way Tolkien built this world. It is the Dunadain's right and purpose to do this (and it is what everyone is trying to persuade Aragorn to do in the films and books!). When you have had the effective Gods of the world come and tell you these things, democracy kind of goes out the window...

Morsire makes to speak again but Aranarth glares at him.

"Well spoken," the Prince says. "Now, before my brother and my father arrive, I wouls ask our visitors- what is your opinion of my father's plan?"

Fire
"The plan sounds good, However it won't be easy to accomplish. Any sane man can see that all of need to unite to keep evil at bay. But wether or not the People from Cardolan will see that clearly when the king presents his plan, is hard to predict. When it comes down to independance people can get very emotional. But objectively seen it looks like a good plan."

Dexx
"it is a cunning plane. one of the very few alternatives we have. this mgiht be the msot efficient." says Vardalain "but we must be careful"

Ushgarak
"Careful of what?" asks Aranarth, raising an eyebrow.

Dexx
"of unexpected or rushed happenings wich can unbalance the situation"
(stick out tongue..it was a line meant to make him look concerned..it doesn't necessarily mean anything)

Fire
"This plan, stands or falls with out the people from Cardolan accepting the ruling of your king"

Fitch
Palanfirith comes in light(I was standing somewhere and just listening) and says:
"We are only trying to decide who can unite the kindom,who is braver,who can rule.At this point none of us have any chances against the evil as we are now.We should try to find solutions for our troubles and as the king found one we shall try to use it.We will all have a part in this so everybody will have something to say.This is an alliance,and every member is equal none rule over others" looking in Morsire's eyes.
"And Morsire DO NOT speak about what you don't know.You should be more concerned about your own fears rather then speak about ours."

Bespin Bart
(Me and Rex would like an update, if you please...oh, and Zink as well. We've all been damn busy. erm )

Ushgarak
Simple enough, BB, you have been invited to join in on a diplomatic mission to Cardolan; you are currently in the Council Chambers discussing things with the others before the King turns up to fill you in on the plan. Easy!

"I know enough to say that you Elves stand by whilst good men get slaughtered!" yells Morsire. "My scars attend to the lack of my own fears; how many armies have you led into battle? I say attack, what do you say? What does that say of your fears to mine!!"

"Cut it out!" says Aranarth, with great authority. "Both of you! This is the King's Council chamber and I will not see such arguments here, from Lord or Elf! We are supposed to be the civilised keepers of the free world, after all. Let us not make these hard times any harder."

Morsire continues to eye you guys nastily.

(Still not going well, guys... you realise that you only strengthen Morsire's view of you as troublesome outsiders to the rest of the Council the more you argue like that- probably a very good idea to keep peace once the Prince calls it in future, as well)

So, are Anglomir and the others turning up now, BB?

Fitch
Palanfirith looks at Morsire with small eyes (kinda like this shifty ) thinking "you shall feel the fear of an Elf !" and then sits down at the table near Vardalain.

Captain REX
"Morsire, you do not know how the Elves work. There is not enough of them to help you in any conflict, especially this one. As soon as they would send their soldiers to Arnor, the Witch King would send his forces to Rivendell or wherever and destroy it while he has the chance."

Ushgarak
I'll pretend you didn't say that, Rex, seeing as that a. that's not what Morsire suggested and b. Aranarth told you guys to stop talking about it.

Elendur briskly walks into the CHamber and sits on his chair at the table, before becoming aware of the gaze oif all the others at the table around him, commenting on his lateness (which they ascribe to a female).

"Sorry," he says, amiably, with a smile. "Did I miss anything important?"

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>