how old can elves live...sorry im a newbie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

howie
Sorry yall, im a newbie... anyways i was wondering how old do elves live, and can there facial appearance look as old as Bilbo. and why is Gimili the only dwarf ive seen alive so far.. smokin'

chica16
elves are immortal... they go through some type of aging process so they can look older, and dwarves just hide and don't come out much i guess haha

SlayerChick1188
lol well welcome howie! big grin Well I believe elves are supposed to live until the end of the world (hence the immortal thing) They CAN however die from battle or a broken heart. Most of the elves in the books are several thousand years old. They are also FOREVER fair looking...

Can't help you with the dwarve question however, sorry!

Faded_Evenstar
Didn't most of the dwarves die in Moria?

Or they just hid XD.

pinksuezo
no most of dwarves didnt die in moria. most of moria dwarves did die in moria however.
the dwarves in middle earth at time of war of ring are mostly in the iron hills far to the north, the lonely mountain, and also in the ranges far to the west of middle earth, diggin for stuff and runnin away from ocr probs in the east.

pinksuezo
i meant orc problems

ugthebarbarian
It's true the Moria dwarves were almost all but killed. At the time of LOTR, the dwarves had spent many centuries in relative isolation searching the earth for precious metals. Their greed was enhanced by the rings that they received from Sauron. At the time of the War of the Ring, however, the dwarves are in battle in the north. Sauron sent a large army to the north and the dwarves along with the elves of Lothlorien and Mirkwood (Legolas' home) spend their time trying to fend off the attack. Unfortunately, both kings of dwarves die (Dain and someone else who's name evades me). While the northern army is victorious against the dwarves and elves of Mirkwood, Lothlorien is never invaded because of its magic and splendour. When the news that the army in the south battling men had lost and Sauron was overthrown, the northern army had no will and scattered.

I hope that answers ur questions about dwarves. After the war of the ring, there are only a handful of dwarves left and Gimli leads some of them to live in the glittering caves near Helm's Deep.

pablo007
You can see some dwarves at the council of Elrond in Fellowship can't u ? When Gimli takes some guy's ax and tries to break the ring but the ax breaks.

pinksuezo
the guy gimli took his axe from, or at least the one he walks in with, is probably his dad gloin from the hobbit and frnd of bilbo

Fire
yea and some others I think there is one other dwarf at the council

Dexx
now..back to the topi...the elves are not fully immortal. They day when "they grow weary of ten thousand centuries" or something like that. Plenty of time anyway. It's ridiculously high..so in a way..they are fully immortal

Fire
yea I think I read that some where

Dexx
in silmarillion

Fire
hmm must be one a webby cause I never read silmarillion

Dexx
perhaps, yeah

Fire
or a role play book big grin

turin
ya tolkien puts a theoretical age limit on the elves, but basically they are immortal.

yerssot
that thingie in Everen... er... macro I think it was,
has The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion and Other Tellings

(btw, that last one is a pure guess since they were all in dutch unfortunatly)
perhaps something for you FM?

Fire
I'll check it ut

yerssot
don't you thank me at once roll eyes (sarcastic)

Fire
lol

aniron
elves can't die, they live forever, they can only get slayed in battle or die from a broken heart (orlando said so)

Ushgarak
But as said, TOLKIEN did put a theoretical age limit on them, Aniron. He should know.

chica16
yeah i think they also died if they just lost the will to live anymore.. i think i saw that somewhere.. don't quote me on that haha

XxtinuvielxX
welcome! Elves are imortal they can only die if they are slain in battle or die of grief. if you read the hobbit there are a lot of dwarves and in the first lotr movie there were more dwarves in the concil of elrond. you alse see dead dwarves in moria but i dont think that counts...heh heh. blink

aniron
thats what I said (and I quoted on it too) stick out tongue

aniron
p.s I want to be an elf

Exa
But after some hundred years they got tired of the earth (if they lived in Middle-earth) and went away by ship to Aman where they lived on forever.

Some that were slain came back, like Glorfindel who died in Gondolin but Mandos let him go back because he sacrificed himself ...

But unlike mankind they were bound to the circles of the earth and when Fionwe destroys it in order to kill Melcor all that is left of the elves (not so much...) is also killed while the spirits of men survive and are involved in the second music of the Ainur

So for Arda elves are immortal but for eternity men are

Hegemon875
All elves return to life after dying. But they have to wait a long time before they can.

Exa
They are asked if they want to; and only few really wanted to come back to middle-earth.

Until they can, they have to wait in Mandos' Halls, usually for several hundred years.

Orli'sElf7
does anyone know what lies beyond the grey havens? where do they go and how come no one can enter and not come back unless on an urgent matter?

Exa
They set off from the Grey Havens to find the Straight Path (dunno what its called in english...) which is the only bridge to Aman, the land of Gods, which has been removed from the circles of the earth;

Thats also where the dead elves come, but they have to go to mandos' halls first.

Orli'sElf7
yes i know that but they dont "die" do they? i mean no one kills them they just stay there till the end of their days???? thaat kinda sucks

Exa
Wheres "here"?

thats why they usually grow weary and want to die :P
im always wonderin what the hell the elves in aman are doin the whole day... i mean, no enemys, as much food as they want, and they cant be making jewels and poems all day...

Orli'sElf7
i know!! id b kind of boring wouldnt it? id much rather stay on middle earth...true theres a war there but i mean id rather live it out then be bored until i die : /

Exa
"Better to burn out than to fade away" (kurt cobain)

emp... but the elves got tired of seein all the death in middleearth so they moved to aman lol must be funny if you meet all your dead relatives there...

Orli'sElf7
i knoe...on the other hand it would b nice to c them again yea? mebbe that s why elves arent so cry weep bawl when their relatives die

Exa
lol interesting idea :P

must be irritating if every third elf there is somehow related to you or so...

never want to live in aman

Orli'sElf7
lol i know...neither do i...hahah id much rahter b in the middle of all the action!! lol...plus like, you still have sooooooo many friends there....i mean you could go to the havens anytime right? but your mortal friends arent there forever

Exa
yea i know *thinkin of amroth and nimrodel*

perhaps thats why elfz seldomly have mortal friedns...

aniron
who is fionwe (dont tell me if this person has anything to do with return of the king I know too much about it already so much for a suprise lol)

Exa
No has absolutely nothing to do with RoTk smile

He's one of the Ainur, a god... there isnt so much known about him because he just accures in one short part of a story (yet he is very important as he destroys the world!).
He is the boyfriend of Arien, leader of the Sun smile

Ushgarak
I'll remind people again- as has already been said- Elves DO have an age limit, it is just not very relevant.

BTW, that thing about Glorfindel returning (presumably as the Glorfindel in FOTR) was something Tolkien mused about but never made official (not that anything in the Silmarillion or beyond was ever really official at all anyway).

Also it seems that very few Elves actually return after death- that was always, in any case, a very fuzzy concept of Tolkien's.

Corlindel

Corlindel
I have my doubts if Glorfindel who died in Gondolin is the same of LOTR.
I never thought that way because Tolkiens say that after the defeat of Sauron all the high elfs - Vanyar, Noldor and most of Telleri, went to West, exception to Galadriel the guardian of Lothlorien forest and Cirdan who stayed at the Northwest port.

But...

Exa
Yes its the same Glorfindel;
Tolkien wanted to let Glorfindel explain that in FoTR but then he didnt take it into the book.

This question is perhaps answered in the Athrabeth *searching*

Ushgarak
Like I say, it was never official. As the continuity currently exists they are seperate people listed seperately in the Silmarillion index, and as Corlindel points out, some of Tolkien's words contradict that idea. There was a lot that Tolkien thought about doing but never actually did.

aniron
ahhh to many "indels" lol

Ushgarak
Luckily, Ushgarakindel sounds silly...

Corlindel
I wish Tolkien was chating with us....

Exa
ay ya, that would answer a lot of questions...

Corlindel
We will see that soon...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.