Anakin....Your Father Is....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

theEviljedi
Most people agree that Shmi's fate will most likely be one of the causes of Anakin's fall from grace,right? Well here is some good speculation with a twist. I for one don't believe this "Conceived by the Force" thing at all. So here's an idea. Wouldn't it be great to see Shmi tell her confessions about Anakin's dark-side father{Dooku?}as she is dying? Not only would that be a great twist, but it would also show that Anakin's mother had betrayed him. This could be one of the many reasons why he turns,too. Like my sig. once said, "I am an EVIL Jedi like my father be for me" so would it be for Anakin. What do you think?

Ratcat
Rumours are coming out that Shmi will be seen to Episode-III, however this may be in flashbacks.

theEviljedi
That's doubtful...flashbacks aren't Lucas' style.

Ratcat
Yeah, I thought thatb too when I heard it, but then I thought about it. What if, at the point of turning, all the events flash through Anakins mind, kinda like his life flashing before him, but only the bad things that fuel his anger and hatred.

It's just a thought, anyway it was only a rumour.

queeq
I don't like the idea fo flashbacks in Star Wars. By the time Ep3 comes around it should be pretty clear to us why he turns.

queeq abides

Ratcat
Yeah, I agree with both you and EJ on that. Maybe it's a duff rumour after all. It would seem to be out of style with the rest of the series.

queeq
That's allright. Nice try, but no cigar. laughing out loud

queeq abides

Ratcat
Oh, go on, just one. smokin'

UnknownBountyHunter
I know I am late to concur with the beginning of the conversation, but I would like to comment on the flashbacks! smile Shmi obviously doesn't have the force, or Qui-Gon would have sensed it, therefore she would be uncapable of doing flashbacks. And she definitely is staying until Episode III as McQuarrie and Sansweet said that on the Official Site a ways back. (I think August 2000)

queeq
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII do not think that was what RC was talking about. He meant flashbacks by Anakin about how he got where he did, explaining why he turns to the Dark Side.

queeq abides

theEviljedi
Well anyway,what do you think about my idea with the dark father?

Gundark
Its an interesting twist, EJ..but I just don't buy it. Theres no way GL is gonna go with another "dark father" thread like Luke/Vader. I think the midi story has to stick cause Anakin ultimately becomes the most powerful evil being next to the Emporer. Wonder who his daddy was ?

theEviljedi
Hopefully he wasn't conceived by the darkside.laughing out loud

JediOasis
Yeah, I've said this before, a long time ago, but if Lucas uses another "I am your father" sort of deal, fans will be upset. They will think that he lost all of his creativity. The only reason for the midichlorian thing is just to show that Anakin is the most powerful.

finti
I shure aint gonna buy a virgin birth conceived by midi-chlorians. Virgin birth nah reminds me of something else....
dont mix that up in the SW saga.

Gundark
If Shmi is going to die in ep3 instead of 2, I think it should be near the beginning, so we have the rest of the film to see Anakin's anger building up to his turn to the darkside. AND if George is definately planning on ep3 being his last SW film (sob sad ) then its pretty much a "no holds barred" thing.

finti
I think it`s going to be very hard to continue a story from after ROTJ. Sad but true.

JediOasis
A little while back Lucas said that ROTJ is the end of the SW saga. Thats where he intended the Skywalker saga to end all along, and the whole 9 episode thing was said a long time ago. Which makes sense, because he's always said SW is the Anakin Skywalker story, how can you have a story about someone when they are dead? Simple, you can't.

Darth Daft
Although I don't like the idea of flashback's appearing in Star Wars, it would be pretty effective if Anakin did indeed have them just before he turned to the Dark Side. Like Ratcat said earlier, it would be like his life were flashing before his eyes. Therefore, it's very much signalling the death of Anakin Skywalker and now the birth of a completely new person, Darth Vader.

Gundark
Well said, DD...your daftness level is low today. laughing out loud laughing out loud

yodaman
Anakin does not have a father. He was conceived by midichlorians. Anakin is an archetypal heroic figure that is portrayed throughout the saga. It is this heroic arc that marks many themes in myth. Almost all the time in myths the hero will be born under extraordinary circumstances, most often a virgin birth. Lucas, being very endowed in mythic lore, certainly knows this fact which is why he devloped Anakin being conceived within a virgin birth. Lucas would destroy this mythic theme by having it be otherwise such as having Anakin actually have a father.

theEviljedi
Welcome back yodaman...and thanks for coming.smile

finti
I still think this virgin birth is far fetched.

yodaman
As opposed to the realistic nature of everything else in Star Wars with the weird aliens, strange ships, and hokey powers?

UnknownBountyHunter
My how the posts stack up when your gone for a day...eek! Well about the flashbacks, I thought he meant Shmi would return in spirit form.

theEviljedi
laughing out loud How UBH?

UnknownBountyHunter
Exactly, that's why I opinionated against it! smile

finti
No far fetched because virgin birth is a part of another book, another story.

UnknownBountyHunter
Huh?

JediOasis
finti is talking about the Bible. But Lucas has used all sort of mythology in both SW and IJ, so this is just another aspect of it, no big deal really. I imagine that if Shmi were lying QC would have sensed it.

Leia Solo
i agree with jedi oaisis completely. that's what i was thinking about when the conversation first turned to the virgin birth and such.

if you take a close look at star wars, you will find at least a small bit of every culture's mythology embedded within it. i tried to do a report on the mythology of star wars for an english class, and within an hour of surfing the net i was buried waist high in research and parallels.

it would not surprise me one bit if the great flanneled one were to leave anakin's birth as a virgin birth. after all, there are other christian parallels within the star wars movies. i.e. what about the 12 jedi on the council, and the 12 apostles?

yodaman
As I said before, many cultures' mythology involve the use of a virgin birth. We just happen to live in a Christian-centered Western society that will see the virgin birth in terms of the bible only rather than a prevelant theme throughout all mythology.

finti
the numbers 3 6 9 and 12 always figuring in adventures.
I belive there are 12 members of a jury during a court trail in the US as well.

queeq
My heart is filled with you upon seeing the return of yodaman. How are you doing?

And well said. smile

queeq abides

krautrocker
just a little thought I had. Qui Gonn mentions ' it is possible hewas concieved by the midid chlorians'. Ok what if midid chlorians are good and bad and this determines a persons eventual stance within the force? Bear with me. What if he was concieved by dark midi chlorians? What if they were somehow induced to do so by a very evil dark spirit , you see where I'm going here? Just a thoguht and very unlikely I know. Also what if the reason why yoda and Mace dont believe him to be the choosen one is because yoda is ? but rather than blast it from the roof tops etc he keeps it secret. He does train the man that brings balance in the end. I suppose it depends on your point of view.

Darth Gehenna
I would think that being evil would be a personality trait, something that comes about after living under certain conditions, and wouldn't be caused by something within DNA (or in this case, the Midichlorians). Just a thought.

finti
Hmm Anakin a test tube baby. I can go for that! Good thinking Krautrocker.

JediOasis
Lucas said Anakin is the Choosen One. I wish it was Luke(he's my favortie character) but Star Wars is the Anakin Skywalker story, the rise, the fall, the redemption. And if the prophecy said the Choosen One is concieved by the midichlorians then that means Anakin was concieved by the midichlorians. The father surprise(?), been there, done that.

finti
What if he is a test tube baby! It didn`t look like Shmi wanted to talk about it.

Gundark
Shmi was very sketchy about the information she actually gave Qui Gon because, lets face it....he was a TOTAL STRANGER !!! Him, Padme, R2, and...JarJar show up on her front door step, from off-planet no less, never seen them before..how personal was she supposed to get with them ?

finti
she let QG take her son with him though, stranger or not.

Exador
The Midichlorians created Anakin. Watch Ep 1. Shmi says: "There was no father. I carried him, I gave birth, I raised him. I can't explain what happened."

queeq
Who dug up this old fossil?

Exador
WHAT?!!!!

queeq
I wasnt talking about you. Oh wait, I could have been. evil face

General G
Why is this here?!?!?!

queeq
Because you're here.

General G
But I am here because you are here.

queeq
Good boy.

CLOSING.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.