Star Wars Fans Unite

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bjn74
I used to love Star Wars.. Really liked Phantom Menace....Dealt with AOTC..The more I've seen the newer ones, I have now realized they are complete GARBAGE! And I am an original. I saw all the originals in the theaters when they came out. I remember the Revenge of the Jedi Trailer...Now,,I cant even think about watching any star wars other then the originals..I have had it..The only reason I will see 3 is to take my kids..And even that I might not do..I may let my wife take them..Star Wars is done..Horrible...Should have made sequels if anything at all.... sick sick

FallingBlue
Correct me if im wrong but aint it Return of the Jedi? wink

Yah the new ones blow hard, should have made sequels, the Yuuzhan-Vong are alot better than a bunch of droids and an old, ugly man with a banana lightsaber...

finti
yes it is Return of the Jedi but it was supposed to be Revenge of the Jedi. Guess GL deceided Revenge aint a jedi thing

LanceWindu
Yes, Revenge of the Jedi was the original title, but it wasn't decided upon.

When CBS-FOX went to promote the upcoming movie they hadn't been informed on the name change, so you can find action figures, movie posters, promotional pamplets and more with the title, Revenge of the Jedi.

Hypernova
Being one of the "newer" fans, and really watching Ep IV-VI after watching Ep I-II, I guess I see it a little more differently.

Although I have seen Ep IV-VI growing up, the prequels have an appeal (not sure if it's because I "saw" it first) and I have a better connection with it. I am a fan at a time when they are making (Ep III) or have made (Ep I-II) the movies.

Although I like Ep IV-VI which I think GL took more time in developing the story and the characters and their relationship with each other.

I like Ep I and II but I don't think he's done it enough (although I read somewhere if you read the books, you'll understand them better e.g. the Lakeside scenes with Padme and Anikin etc.) I think it is visually stunning and the perfect medium to tell this awesome story.

I like spacey things and here I see the books I read when I was younger (Foundation, Dune etc) come to life and adds alot more to the experience.

Also, wouldn't it be hard for GL to put all the post Ep IV stories in books into a sequel? What would you like GL to cover in the sequels?

Lyn
I agree with Hypernova, I love the NT & the OT. thumb up happy

Baylin
I love all of the films but definitely prefer the older ones especially Empire Strikes Back.

Ushgarak
ESB is the best but I prefer both of the newer ones to ROTJ; I am very happy with them.

LanceWindu
I prefer both the OT & the PT, I'm satisfied with all of the movies.

Lyn
Exactly happy

Hypernova
BTW what are OT and PT short for? embarrasment

Rogue Jedi
original trilogy and prequel trilogy.

Hypernova
Thank you, Rogue!

Have you been a fan for a long time?

Dirty Vader
Are you kidding me? ROTJ rules, and ANH and ESB too. If I could erase
the prequels out of my mind, I would.

The original trilogy and EU did just fine before the prequelscame along,
because they sticked together, everything made sense.

Now, everything from EU is declared forfeit just because of three new
films that are poorly made and in which the acting and the dialogue sucks and in which 75% of the caracters are computer made.
In eps I and II there are barely two sets (Theed Palace and Tatooine Hutts). Everything else is made out of computer graphics and animations.

Ewan Mcgreggor said himself that making the new star wars films is boring because all the acting is done in front of blue screens.

yerssot
EU was always declared forfait

Dejio
The prequels are GL's pathetic attempt to be on the movie spotlight again. I surely wished he just stayed in the hole where he creeped up from.
The Star Wars universe were better off before... a class on it's own. Now the prequels are turning it into a joke.

Dirty Vader
Spot on!

yerssot
no one is obligating you to watch it roll eyes (sarcastic)

mephistodesigns
no kidding! good call yerssot.

Dirty Vader--the prequels haven't affected anything EU except Boba's origin, and that was never concrete to begin with, even in EU. There were a couple origins. Other than that, the EU hasn't been forfeit at all. None of the stuff Lucas is now covering was ever fully mapped out in detail, not even in EU. There wasn't any pre-OT EU with the exception of the Tales of the Jedi comics.

Lyn
Go Yerssot!! thumb up
Go Mephisto!! thumb up

Ushgarak
No I am not kidding, so get used to that; I think ROTJ is way worse than any of the others. And the EU is not forfeit- it is still THERE! It is just different, as was always the case.

Dirty Vader
Hey, dont give me wrong, I love EU. Its what entertained me for years.
Butdont tell me episodes I and II are better than ROTJ cos there way
worse.

mephistodesigns
sorry buddy, 1 ties it and II is most definetly better as a whole(the very end or ROTJ where Anakin redeems himself is better than any other scene in I).

Ushgarak
Oh yes, ROTJ had good scenes- like the final Vader/Luke/Emperor confrontation is fantastic, and the start was fine, but it is rushed plot-wise (a result of GL's sudden decision to end the saga THERE rather than in Episode IX- the ESB ending as written was not expecting the good guys to have totally won a mere film later), and does not hang together well as a whole, and also ridiculously demolishes the sense of threat posed by the Empire so well built up in ESB. ROTJ is also riven with plot inconsistencies and problems caused by its troubled re-writing process via which they accidentally got it to the point where Luke did NOT save the Galaxy but in fact only saved himself- because the Emperor would have died on the exploding Death Star anyway after a ridiculous Rebel turnaround

And before you say something- because this is an old debate- you can theorise all you like on how the Empire might have won if the Emperor had lived, with any reason you want to give. That is irrelevant- no reason is given on film, an oversight caused when they moved the action from Had Abaddon to the Death Star, and the fact the DS was going to blow anyway (hence no need for Luke to kill the Emperor) was overlooked. If the film had actually established a definitve reason WHY the Emperor needed to be killed BY Luke (well, actually Anakin but you know what I mean) for the good guys to win, the film would have been better, but this is a prime example of the less-than-perfect thinking behind it all.

Episodes I and II work far better as stories than ROTJ. They have nothing like that level of inconsistency and uneven feel, even though AOTC is a little vague and TPM leaves hanging the question of how Maul tracked them to Naboo. These are small quibbles; ROTJ has big holes.

finti
I think Ep I is the weakest followed by Ep II and then ROTJ, then there is a huge gap up to ANH and ESB

nickhorrific
USHGARAK... come on, there was a reason Luke was there on the SDS. To confront vader and to hopefully turn him to the light side. and defeat the dark side. read the books, and do more research on why GL wrote the story the way he did before you start an unintelligent argument that has no knowledgable basis. and EP 1 and 2 are good films but not better than ROTJ

kalsolar
George Lucas, for all his tallent seems to have forgotten the old adage that "less is more". To clutter up every goddam scene with dozens and dozens of space ships flying by in the background just because you can is not reason enough to. AOTC was awash with digital this and digital that 99.9% of the time and as good as it may look it gets nausiating. Also..its important that you actually care about the characters in the movie in order to help hold your interest in it. Honestly...in AOTC (and to a lesser degree TFM) I simply did'nt care who lived and who died. The original trilogy had real characters that you cared about and could identify with. If I could at least have had sympathy for Anakin in AOTC that would have been something. But I just found him to be an annoying hormone fueled adolesant who I would have gladly shot myself given the chance. And whats the idea of yoda giving a bunch of 5 and 6 year olds working light sabres to train with for f**ks sake! By the time we got to C3PO's head-switching scene and the fight scene with all the different creatures after that, well I just felt like I was watching Toy Story 3. I've since tried to watch the film twice on DVD and have fallen asleep half way through both times. High adventure is one thing..but I do hate it when the film makers get so hyped up in what they are doing that they continually end up adding scenes that break the spell of disbelief that is so necessary to keep you interested.

Mace Skywalker
Oh please. I like them all.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.