Underworld

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Soth
I'm wondering, what do you people think of Underworld? I loved, but I know many people didn't.

lukeyduckey
Didnt really like it. It just seemed..plain

BackFire349
lame, very lame.

Darth Vicious
I enjoyed the movie, it wasnt great but it was interesting hopefully the sequel will be much better and DAMN Kate Beckinslae loog good, she could it me anytime!

LeopardStar
there's gonna be a sequal???? OOOOOOOOOOOO when? any info would be greatly appreciated

Sacrifice
I thought it was okay. I liked the dark atmosphere of the film and was pleasantly surprised by actual story development.

I was disappointed with the action sequences which consisted mostly of close-ups and quick scene cuts. You could tell they were on a limited budget. I found the dialogue to be rather poor, especially among the elders. The Elders should have been cold and cunning rather than loud and obnoxious.

A few changes and it could have been a great film.

sugarxen
i liked it. it wasn't a very wordy script and it seemed to focus more on the atmoshpere, but it still explained things very well in narration i thoughts. i heard some where that the reason the majority people didn't like it was because of the romance, that is cluttered up the plot...did anyone else think that? i didn't really think that they played up on the romance between kate's characters and speedman's....eh?

Angel~Baby~
I liked the movie, but I was wondering something? One of the main promos for this movie was and I quote " which side will U choose? So that being the case, where was the choice? I myself favor the Vampire, but anyone with an ounce of remorse, will quickly turn in favor of the Lycans toward the end of the movie. And U can plainly see which side the writer favors. As a big vampire fan, I was totally disgusted with how week they were portrayed in this movie. The vampires were totally dependant on their guns and fast cars. Don't get me wrong the movie has a great story line and has the potental to be a great sequal, but come on........those vampires were sissys. A I will be very disappointed if the only way for the vampires to get the powers that they are know for, is if they merge the blood of both species. Which is pretty obvious what is going to happen, if U saw the movie, and the ending fight. What do other people think, am I alone in my anger as a die hard vampire fan?

BackFire349
well considering i hate vampires for the most part, i wasnt disapointed at all. i was always favoring the werewolves because i think they are the better creation. the vampires in the movie were the same lame homoerotic ones from all the other crappy vampire movies. and vampires arent supposed to be super powerful....if they had gone hand to hand against a werewolf they would get slaughtered, which is how it should be.

Angel~Baby~
Well, I like the werewolf too, but, the only point I am tyring to make is that the author didn't show the superior powers of the vampire race. I have read alot on the werewolf , and they do have great powers, but come on people, they don't have as many as the vampire, and if U did pit then together,I am sure that the ultimate survivor will be the vampire. Its the same old argument. Can we say: Freddy vs Jason. Didn't we all have the same old arguments. It is clear in this movie as it was in that one, who the author prefered, and when it come down to it , we all know who would be the victor. They just want to give props for the underdogs "hehe" that usually don't get recognized.

BackFire349
they are much stronger then vampires, thats the only advantage they had in the movie. and freddy vs jason are both inferior to leatherface, ive told this fact to many people. they just dont get it.

ragesRemorse
this movie was crap, extreme crap it was blade with werewolves and seeing how blade is an embarrasment to comic fans this movie is just a bad reminder of how bad movies can get. although the werewolves looked decent but thats when you actually got to see them and when they werent shrouded in complete darkness

Angel~Baby~
I totally agree about the blade comment, but I did enjoy Blade 1and 2. But it is my whole argument all over again, there making them rely on guns and other wepons instead of their on powers. Call me a vampire freak if U want, but damn I hate that.
miffed

BackFire349
because vampires dont have much powers. werewolves have greater physical strength, that is why they needed guns.

Lord Soth
Thank you for all your comments.

I thoroughly enjoyed Underworld, no matter what other people say. While the action sequences were not all that spectacular, I rather enjoyed the emphasis on story development instead of action, a quality that too many movies of late have forgotten.

Again, thanx for all you comments. While many were rather formulaic (love it/hate it/could have been better), I enjoyed reading about your perspectives.

BackFire349
formulaic, much like underworld.

Lord Soth
~eyebrow raise~ That's just rude.

BackFire349
no its not, its just true.

Lord Soth
According to you. However, many people would disagree. There is a difference between expressing your own opinion and insulting others'.

BackFire349
yes there is, but i did not cross it, i just said that underworld was a bad movie, i never insulted anyone and i dont know where you figured i did

lukeyduckey
Calm down calm down

Kes
Listen to lukey. Calm down.

Holcomb
I saw it an liked it. there is a sequel coming out, I just hope Kate is in it again. she was good and looked really hot.

Lord Soth
~shrug~ I suppose so. I was tired at the time I wrote that post wacko

Lord Soth
(In response to Halcomb) I agree. While the first had it's flaws, the sequel will likely be much better.

That's just the way things are with movies like this. In the first movie, everything has to be explained, and there's too much exposition. But in the sequel, we're comfortable w/ the world, and therefore can do much more with it.

BackFire349
all i know is if a sequel is made, i will stay clear from it.

Lord Soth
I gathered as much big grin

Lord Soth
If what I just said doesn't make any sense, keep in mind that I'm high on caffiene, so it was probably gibberish. bunny

Lord Soth
However, if it does make sense, you're either as hyper as I am, or it does make sense, which would surpirse me.

Lord Soth
Am I rambling?

plenTpak52
I thought it looked stupid so I probably won't see it

Lord Soth
That's your call. I reccomend it, though

Chfeu
I liked it.... The story was good enough to remove some hyper-power on both side...... zorro

BackFire349
follow those instincts.

Lord Soth
What he said

Phoenix
who's seen it? I thought it was awesome!!

Kes
I go with "so havent seen it" big grin
It hasnt come out yet (here). But I'll see it.

Hypernova
The national release date for this movie is always changing!!

National Release Date:
22/01/2004

Lord Soth
I loved it. It had a powerful story, deep characters, a great plot twist, awesome fight scenes, and a totally hott vampire in the lead role!

In retrospect, awesome awesome awesome cool cool cool

BackFire
One of the worst, gimmicky and shallow movie's I've ever seen. Just all around boring and predictable. In the end, just another bad vampire movie, with some crappy werewolves.

Lord Soth
I was expecting that laughing laughing

xeous
One question. If the Vampires are so much weaker than the 'wolves, how did they survive and actually flurish when they had to use hand to hand combat, swords, etc.(pre 1800)

I personally, think that the concept of vamps having none of the powers they are known for is totally bull. I'm 17 now and have been reading and watching movies with them in it since I was 8 or 9...Obsessed really. That part of the movie sucked, other than that it was friggin' awesome.

Lord Soth
Yeah, I hated that they made vampires the weaklings they are, but the movie was still great

Fallen Jedi
Personally, I loved the movie. It's not like any other vampire movie I've seen. The first time I saw it, I wasn't sure what to make of it, but after some after thought, I came to like the movie more and more. In fact, I bought the movie last Tuesday and have watched it at least 4 times since then. I really like movie. I like the storyline and the characters. I've seen a few of Kate's movies and her character in Underworld is so different from anything she's played before. She did a great job! And as for the sequel, I can't wait to see it. Hopefully, it will be really good.

Lord Soth
I 100% agree. It has a sleek, dark style to it that makes it enticing. I too, bought it on Tuesday, and I watched it about 3 times. I can't wait for the sequel.

Fallen Jedi
Yes, very enticing. I don't know who said it, but someone complained about the dialogue. Sorry, but I liked the dialogue.

"The Lycan horde scattered to the wind in flame and retribution."

Okay, I may not be a New York Time's Bestseller author, but you have to admit that that line is pretty good.

Lord Soth
I didn't like the dialogue so much as the poetic way they spoke, like the example you gave.

stinkfist462
if only they would have shown more of the lead characters body .. damn was she hot ..

Lord Soth
Hehe, I loved the leather coat though, so much hotter than the skin-tight thing Trinity wore

Fallen Jedi
Yes, I loved Selene's outfit. I particulary liked her heeled boots.

Lord Soth
yeah, she had a sleek, deadly style that I just LOVED love love

clavis9495
Hi everybody!

I need ur help could you help me find some pics of underworld! PUR-LEASE!!! I need them real quick... confused http://images.killermovies.com/forums/moresmilies/cry.gif

stinkfist462
ok ........ what kind of pics ?

Wolfie
Sexy yet dangerous big grin

Lord Soth
Oooooooooooh yeah love

A.D. Skinner
Here is Kate...

Lord Soth
Yeah, that's a great shot

A.D. Skinner
Love her eyes in this one..

clavis9495
of selene!! thanx happy

SilverFighter
Not a lot of selection but here are a few pics from about.com

http://horror.about.com/library/blunderimga.htm

Punker69
IM NOT GAY

Punker69
im not gay

Punker69
woo hooo I DID IT i never knew how to post a spoiler.

Lord Soth
Agreed, I love all the vampire's eyes, blue-white is such an awesome color

A.D. Skinner
Two of my favorite quotes from this movie are right in the beginning and at the end as well. Both spoken by Selene:

1st - The war had all but ground to a halt in the blink of an eye. Lucian, the most feared and ruthless leader ever to rule the lycan clan, had finally been killed. The lycan hoard scattered to the wind in a single evening of flame and retribution. Victory, it seemed, was in our grasp. The very birthright of the vampyres. Nearly 6 centuries had passed since that night, yet the ancient bloodfeud proved unwilling to follow Lucian to the grave. Though lycans were fewer in number, the war itself had become more perilous, for the moon no longer held her sway. Older, more powerful lycans, were now able to change at will. Weapons had evolved, but our orders remained the same, hunt them down and kill them off, one by one. A most successful campaign ... perhaps ... too successful. For those like me, a Death Dealer, this signaled the end of an era. Like the weapons of the previous century, we too would become obsolete. Pity, because I lived for it.

2nd - Though I can not predict the future, the consequences of this night will reverberate through the halls of both great covens for many years to come. Two vampire elders have been slain. One by my own hand. Soon, Marcus will take the throne and a tirade of anger and retribution will spill out into the night. Differences will be set aside, allegiances will be made and soon I will become the hunted.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you could make a choice as to which side you would be on...which would you choose: Vampires or lycan ( Werewolves ) ?

Lord Soth
Yeah, those long speech are awesome, mostly b/c Selene's accent is really hot big grin

zoemorn
Kate Beckinsale is costarring in Van Helsing as well.. apparently the monster movies fit her well!

as does leather... wink

Lord Soth
Plus, Underworld 2 is in pre-production....

JKozzy
Was it any good? confused Its on dvd now..

BarmyBrummie
Underworld was pathetic. The only decent part was......well....ther was no decent part no

JKozzy
Glad I got the Indiana Jones trilogy instead of that big grin

Cinemaddiction
Heh, and I loved Underworld and think that Indy is boring as hell.

JKozzy
AHhhh maybe I'll go rent underworldstick out tongue

silver_tears
Don't let yourself be influenced stick out tongue
I prefer Indy to Underworld, but thought underworld was quite good big grin

Cinemaddiction
What movies today doesn't have a gimmick? This one in particular has really never been doen before, by that I mean fleshing out the Vampire/Werewolve feud.

As for it's predictability, I don't see how anyone can come to that conclusion until maybe 3/4 of the way through the movie. I didn't see any of the backstabbing, defections, or the fact that Michael would have indeed survived, although incurring bites from both races that was supposed to kill him, instead making him an indestructable hybrid.

The CG was top notch, and that doesn't include the werewolves that were amazingly enough, actual anamatronic costumes with humans operating them from the inside.

I understand it may not be for everyone, but it certainly deserves more recognition for the sleeper hit it was.

Punker69
I have to agree with backfire even though I voted for so ok.It was predictable and in the end it was such a bad movie.

Cinemaddiction
Anyone wish to back up these opinions with some reasons? I am honestly dumbfounded as to how this was such a failure.

Lord Soth
As am I blink The movie was brilliantly orchestrated, with a profound meaning, wonderful cast, and masterful storyline that kept you guessing. I cant wait until Underworld 2.

And, in symbiance with Cinema, anyone who challenges me will get a toungue-lashing filled with reason

BackFire
Not all movies have gimmicks, at least not good ones. All vs movies are huge gimmicks that require not imagination or creativity this goes for Jason vs Freddy too, but the difference is that I can forgive freddy vs jason because it entertained me somewhat, Underworld failed in every aspect for me.

The battles were bad ripoffs of the matrix fights, the story was simply uninteresting and very predictable, too me at least. I was not surprised or shocked by anything that happened in the movie, I saw most of it coming a mile away. As for the CGI, it was nothing special, the scene in which the guys head got split in half was absolutely horrid, I groaned out loud when I saw how horrid it looked.

In the end, this and Queen of the Damned are the two movies that made me despise vampires as much as I do now. They were both atrocious, and offered nothing new in any way shape or form, everything had already been done before in underworld, aside from the falsly "creative" gimmick of vampires vs werewovles, which is just as I said, a simple gimmick, and nothing more. But all of this I could have forgiven, had the movie at least entertained me in some way, which it never did, everything about it was bad. No one I know liked this movie, all of my friends agreed that it was horrible, and several of them hate it even more then me, and that's saying alot since this is one of the worst films I have ever seen.

Punker69
DANG!

I agree with you in every way backfire.But of course im just sucking up to you.j/k.I really thought it had bad CGI it was not good.The only reason I gave this movie OK is because it entertained me in a way.The story was dumb.I really didnt like the story most of all.It just didnt seem right.And it was indeed predictable.I just cant seem to sum up my correct feelings for this movie,but its along the lines of what backfire said.

andyF1
The movie is, of course, all about Lucian, or at least it would be in my perfect world. Wasn't overly impressed with Kraven, or as I liked to think of him, Mincing *****-Prince of the Vampires. The werewolf with the strange electronic voice (that nobody else had) kept giving me Stargate flashbacks. It would have been nice if Scott Speedman had tried facial expressions once in a while - even Beckinsale had two or three. And the soundtrack was, of course, hopelessly sad.

Cinemaddiction
I keep hearing the same thing over and over from yout wo. Punker, you hated LXG and Underworld, but loved American Wedding. Since when is a meaningful story important to you? Honestly?

I thought it was a solid story, and it had never been tackled before. The cinematography, the hues, the colors, the characters, all appealed to me.

..but of course, not to you guys, and these differences in opinion are what make this country great.

BackFire
The cinematography was ripped right out of the matrix..

The colors...what colors? the whole movie was dark, like batman and the crow, nothing special in that department.

The characters...typical homoerotic vampires that I simply didnt' care about during the film.

Punker69
Right on backfire.And that was a real downside for me that the whole movie was dark.That annoyed me.

Lord Soth
Color has nothing to do with it. The Matrix has nothing to do with it. Comparison in movies is what makes me hate movie critics,

godfather

Cinemaddiction
It's an action movie, and to break it down furthur, Matrix's cinematography was a rip off of "Ghost in the Shell"(s) cinematography, and not once was there any of those bullettime effects, there were instances of "slo mo" which were actually really effectively executed, i.e. the backflips, the weapon tosses, the leaps.

The colors, hues to be exact are what made the film easier to watch, and they worked. The grays, pale blue's, black, etc. In the mansion, all the blood red upholstry on the gothic style furniture, it all either helped the picture jump out, or portray the dark mood of the scenes. It wasn't all black and grey like The Crow, and the 1st Batman was CERTAINLY not colorful, nor were the subsequent movies, since they all had colorful characters, i.e. Robin, Joker, Mr. Freeze, Joker.

The characters, IMO, were anything but typical. Typical vampires all have British accents, wear capes and shit, yadda yadda yadda. There were a handful of unique and interesting character in that movie. Lucan, Viktor, etc.

Lord Soth
I liked the analogy of the Vampires as an aristocracy as opposed to the street-gang werewolves

Punker69
The movie was BAD you guys are in denial!

Cinemaddiction
Who are you to judge what's bad? You like Blink 182 for christ's sake!
It's all opinions people, and anyone who's opinion is ever swayed by what someone else think might as well rid the world of themselves, because I hate people who can't think independently.

Lord Soth
Indeed. Bandwagon haters make me furious. Despite all the bad press, Underworld had a well-crafted story, and even if it wasn't perfect (too many people expect perfect nowadays), it still had an undeniable appeal, and we can only hope the sequel does better in the box-office

Phoenix
I've been watching special features... big grin

Phoenix
Just to stop the arguments... wink

Phoenix
Btw, am I the only one who thinks Marcus is going to be a hybrid?

Lord Soth
It's pretty obvious by the end of the movie that Marcus becomes a hybrid, but it doesn't make sense to me: The Lycan scientist said that only pure Corvinus (non-vampire or Lycan) decendants could become hybrids.

Phoenix
well maybe that was their hypothesis. maybe it is any descendant of Corvinus

Lord Soth
perhaps

Phoenix
But I'm glad you agree -- all my friends thought I was weird when I said "Marcus is gonna be a hybrid! Thats so cool!"

silver_tears
I was like the first to point that out and my friends looked at me like I was slow, jus they already guessed confused

BackFire
Just because it's in the same genre as the matrix isn't an excuse too rip it off, which it did.

The colors of the film don't make it any less boring or shallow or predictable. It was a dark film, nothing more.

The vampires were the typical new age vampires, looking frail and weak and hanging out in a big castle. Viktor was just an old vampire, and when his face got cut in half it was one of the worst scenes I had ever seen in a film.

Bottom line, had this film entertained me in some way, I could have forgiven all of it's glaring flaws, plot holes, generic action scenes and such, but it didn't entertain me in anyway. It was just a bad movie.

Also, to the person trying to defend queen of the damned, I could care less how good the book is, hte movie itself was garbage. It was less a movie then it was a long, relentless music video made to appeal to the mindless gothics of today who will eat up anything to do with vampires...Underworld also falls in this catagory. neither of them did anything new or different in any way, and this is factual.

Lord Soth
And exactly how did Underworld rip off the Matrix? Other than the leather and the guns, I don't see anything

BackFire
Slow motion effects very similar to the ones used in the matrix, plus the two reasons you mentioned.

kalantiaw
let me get this straight... everytime a movie uses slow motion, dark leather suits and coats and lots of guns, it automatically becomes a matrix rip off? i canot comprehend this reasoning. that's like saying your ripping me off 'cause you're breathing like i am.

okay, so a super slo mo technique was created for the matrix, everytime you see a slo mo shot know you say it's a matrix rip off. matrix was a pioneering film. people will try to derive from it, can't stop that. doesn't mean its a rip off.if underworld was a rip off of anything, it's romeo and juliet.

Underworld was good for what it was. nothing to jump out your skin for, but i was pretty impressed with how ot came out.

Cinemaddiction
Bullet time, the real "Matrix effect" was never used in Underworld. There were some slow motion spots to highten the mood of the scenes! Besides, there weren't any gun toting, overcoat wearing vampires in this movie, were there? There was 1 girl, in a black leather spandex suit, killing Werewolves the ONLY way they could be killed, and have been for 100's of years. With a gun, and a silver bullet.

There is 1 subtle Matrix influence with the bodysuit. Aside from that, nothing new. There we're slow motion spots WAY WAY before The Matrix. That's just not a fair arguement.

Lord Soth
Indeed. And Selene was a lot hotter then Trinity, anyway

Kes
The effect used in The matrix ( bullet time wink) is not slow motion.

Phoenix
Selene was so cool!

I felt she was cooler than Trinity...

kalantiaw
then people should stop putting them in contast, wouldn't you say... it is NOT fair, to both films.

my point is that every time a movie makes imaginative use of super slo mo or "bullet time", it becomes a matrix rip. slow motion have been used... a lot... especially in kung fu movies way before matrix was released.

godfather
i cant see the problem with anyone "riping off" the matrix anyway, i love the movies and take it as a great complement to use there effects, and it does not make movies that use there likenesses bad, if people like them in the matrix why not use the again, there cool!! Its happened before in moves, it just an advance in movies that everybody takes on board.

steptreks
it was good until the whole head in half thing that was just WRONG!

Asonja_Ruegerka
what would you give underworld out of 10 Happy Dance

Asonja_Ruegerka
1 evil face mad

Machete_guy
-1,000,000,000,000 (negitive)

Oh it sucks BURN IT! mad rolling on floor laughing smokin' evil face

Cinemaddiction
Wrong section. The Underworld thread can be found here: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12184&highlight=underworld

Lord Soth
And posting hatred without reason backing it....... useless, really

speiderman
9.8 out of 10.

quiball
my friend could not stop laughing at that scene. But it was quite funny. I reckon it was a decent movie considering the genre

Lord Soth
It was bloody brilliant

steptreks
i would probably give it about 7 out of 10 it was good but not that good! i bought it today so i think ill go wwatch it

Aku
It was CRAP coz it screwed up my PS2 and i had to buy an Aqua One which is really cool.

1-winged angel
yeh dont u think kate bekinsale will make a great Psylocke in X-Men 3

PurityKnight
yeah, it pretty much sucked!

beastnpyro
waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh.. i luv underworld.. anyone here like it aswell??? WEREWOLVES RULE!!!

Flying Orange
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12768&highlight=underworld and http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12184&highlight=underworld are already existing threads. Please merge. beastnpyro, please search before making new threads.

beastnpyro
im sorry... i dint know where to find it... uh. any mods to close this thread please...

beastnpyro
underworld's MAD!!!! i luved it!! WEREWOLVES RULE!!!

dj_matrix
i loved underworld. its wicked.

dj_matrix
i loved it but this is gettin closed so wat ever.

beastnpyro
its more than wicked!! damn i loved this movie! i luv it as much as i luv both xmen movies! (i actually watched underworld 7 times since saturday night) hehe... luv the part when lucian bit michael and he chased their car.. hehehe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.