Review : Miss Congeniality

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ratcat
I know this one did the rounds in the USA some time back, but it's only just hit these shores recently and I've been waiting to see it for a while.

This movie is yet another brilliant vehicle for Sandra Bullock to showcase her outstanding talent for situational comedy. She plays Tomboy FBI agent Gracie Hart who is assigned the task of infiltrating the Annual Miss America Pageant in order to capture a serial bomber.

The first amazing thing is just HOW UGLY they were able to make Miss Bullock look as the ill mannered, slob out, tomboy. This only adds to the effect of the transformation that is performed on her by Michael Caine, as the pageant consultant Victor Melling, and a crack team of the FBI's finest beauty therapists????

The funniest line for me was when Gracie appears in the workout room with pizza and beer and the other contestants tell her they can’t eat it. Her response:

“It’s *light* beer and she’s gonna throw it up anyway…”

There is, of course, the element of romance between Sandra Bullocks character and fellow FBI agent Eric Matthews played by Benjamin Bratt. Also along for the ride are William Shatner as pageant front man Stan Fields and Candice Bergen as Kathy Morningside.

I was concerned to find that some scenes from the trailer were missing in the final screening. I’m not sure if this was only in the UK release or worldwide but a scene between Gracie and her father was not present in the screening that I saw. Perhaps it will reappear in the video release.

Overall: 7.5/10

Darth Pants
I'm in agreement, it was an excellent performance by Sandra Bullock. The scene where Michael Caine was trying to teach her to 'swing her hips' had me in stitches. I'd have probably enjoyed the film more if the idea of beauty pageants doesn't wind me up so much, but it was, overall, a good film and worthy of a viewing.

ratcat
I loved the bit where she walls out looking all ravishing and sexy and then falls flat on her face. big grin

pecsi
i like the part were she is trying to get the crown form the winner and all the long the host (will shatner) is trying to sing the song his face he makes is realy funny! big grin

ratcat
Yes, but why does he insist on wearing that aweful wig?

ToMacco
Wow, I'm REALLY surprise you guys liked this. I havn't seen it yet, but several reliable family and friend sources told me this movie was horrible. And it recieved really bad reviews, too.

I won't say anything until I see it, though.

Machine
i like this movie i found it funny especially the part where the guy is checking the states and he says "washington? nice apples "then the model says "did you think of that by yourself ? " and he replied "NO!"

BackFire349
i hate sandra bullock, she's annoying as hell. and ive never seen this movie and never plan too.

Ratcat
Personally I like her, but then we all have our opinions.

Texas
Sandra Bullshit, is my nickname for that twit evil face

ToMacco
She is hot, though smile

Machine
shes too old for me i like my women in diapers ......its a joke for those with no sense of humor

ToMacco
(In Dr. Evil's voice): Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Ratcat
Huh? Why the evil face ????

Mr Parker
saw this movie not too long ago.was pretty stupid and boring.I loved the part though when she face planted that guy.you know he got horny over that.lol.

ADarksideJedi
Good movie I did not like the second one.

Mr Parker
Didnt even know there was a second one. eek!

ADarksideJedi
Yea I forget what it is called.

Impediment
Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous

The first one sucked balls, and I have never seen the sequel.

elfirrepins
"Undercover" movies tend to suck. The only ones I found remotely funny were Mrs. Doubtfire and The White Chick.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Impediment
Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous

The first one sucked balls, and I have never seen the sequel.

Thank you.and if you don't like the first one don't brother seeing the second.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.