What's Your Favorite War Movie? Vote!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DinosaurBob
My personal fav is Braveheart.
It has some moments that are
VERY hard to watch.
Saving Private Ryan was a pure
masterpiece. I can't believe it
didn't get the Oscar for Best
Picture. eek!
Pearl Harbor had great special effects,
but the first hour was very boring.

Texas
Apocalypse Now

Ushgarak
Tricky. My favourites are The Longest Day, A Bridge too Far, Saving Private Ryan and Thin Red Line.

Oh, Aces High, of course.

leonglee
Difficult one. I suppose for me it would be a tie between Schindler's list and Apocalypse Now. Honorary mentions to The Killing Fields, The Longest Day and the superb Enemy At The Gates (The opening sequence to that makes Saving Private Ryan brilliant opening 15 minutes look tame in comparison). Guns of Navarone, Where Eagles Dare,.....there are just too many great war films!! eek!

Ushgarak
If you count Schindler's List then that goes straight to the top of my list.

JediOasis
Isn't Star Wars a war movie? smile

gunhead
The best WW2 movie, hands down is Thin Red Line. Malick is a genious. Tigerland was ok, not quite as good as i would have liked so the best 'nam movie has to be either Platoon or Full Metal. laughing out loud

finti
All is quiet on the western front.

CountFaust
Between Saving Private Ryan & Platoon. Though I prefer SPR is better!

gunhead
I liked Saving Private Ryan until Thin Red Line showed me how much SPR was disney like.

ChelsiJediKnight
I think "The Patriot" was the best war movie. Even though the thought of the men that died during those actual battles knew they were gonna die. That haunts me for life. It was like they were just a human sheild, and a layer was being brought down one at a time. But at least it ended well. I found it to be touching and filled with everything. Romance, Comedy, Adventure, and even a little of suspense. I believe this to be the greatest war movie of all. For it resembles not only the bravery of our country but our freedom as well.

Soldiers who died in the wars for our home.
I Salute You. God Bless All!

Zereil
I enjoyed Good Morning Vietnam, I realise that doesn't focus much on the war, but then thats one of the things I like about it. If not then Platoon, as I loved the soundtrack to that. I'm not really a realistic interpretation of war person

phinney6
Battle of the Bulge, It was Entertaining

LANGEB_ESSEJ
My favs are the Tuskeegee Airmen and Platoon

mah
Schindlers List, without ANY doubt.

I didn't like Saving Private Ryan, it was too americanised, with the american flag in the background in the end, and the way the americans had such noble deaths, while the germans died like animals. it just made me sick.

Dim
I think it would have to be Apocalyse Now..

LanceWindu
I would have to say SPR and Schindler's List the end of that movie was very sad.

Ratcat
The Great Escape!

King Jedi
The Thin Red Line is the most boring, dull, overblown prententious pile of crap I've ever seen disguising itself as a War movie.Terence Malick should have stuck to gardening or whatever he was doing all those years he was away because he shouldn't be allowed near a film set.

It's the only film I've ever been to, where I saw people leave before the end. Watching people leave was more interesting than the film. At least they didn't do it in slow motion with exotic birds flying in the background.

SPR and Braveheart are good but they re-wrote history.

I'd choose The Great Escape and Zulu as the two best war films I've ever seen.

LanceWindu
I've never seen those two films King Jedi. Can you tell me about them?

Ushgarak
I thought Thin Red Line was better than Saving Private Ryan. Guess it's a taste thing.

BTW, what do you mean by 're-wrote' history from SPR, KJ? I mean, the story wasn't actually true, to be sure, but that's hardly re-writing.

King Jedi
Well you know what I mean. In SPR they made it look like it was only America who was fighting the Nazis. It's a great film but if there had even been just a few other countries in it, it would probably be my favourite war film.

I hated The Thin Red Line with a passion because it tried to be too clever. It's a war film, it's not meant to look nice. He was trying to say "look at this beautiful scenery and all the terrible things that humans are doing to it", but it didn't work.

LanceWindu The Great Escape is a really good film about allied soldiers trying to break out of a German POW camp.

And Zulu is for me, the best British film ever made. It's not a WW2 film but it's about how around 200 British Red Coats held off 4000 Zulu warriors in Africa. What's great about it is that the film is basically one big battle and the whole story takes place during it.

You should really try and see it.

Ushgarak
While it is always nice to see international war efforts, I think it should be remembered that Saving Private Ryan was NOT The Longest Day; it wasn't telling the D-Day story but instead the story of a small group of American soldiers. Most such soliders wouldn't have seen a Brit, Canadian or Frenchman throughout the entire campaign (and certainly none anywhere NEAR Omaha beach...); I don't think the movie should have had to stretch things just to make the story more multi-national than it had to be.

King Jedi
Streching things? laughing out loud
There were more non-American soldiers in that country than American. In SPR they run into the same German soldier 3 times. If that's possible then it's possible that they might run into another allied army.

I know it was an American story and I don't have a problem with that. But even if they had mentioned us it would have been more beleivable.

Ushgarak
It IS stretching things, because the different nationalities rarely mixed, while one thing they ALL did was meet Germans.

And they did talk about us, when they mentioned Monty and his slow advance on Caen.

King Jedi
Wow! eek! I'm sure the millions that died would be very gratefull.

Ushgarak
Millions of who? Not Brits, certainly; this wasn't WWI.

Well, I think having the allies there would have seemed forced and added nothing to the story.

mah
why discuss details? the film was to friggin' america-friendly anyways. it sucked.

King Jedi
Millions of non-American soldiers who were completly ignored.
Have you seen the DVD? In the documentary they keep going on about how this was America standing up against fascism. No mention of anyone else.

LanceWindu
They should have added a little bit more to the story about what was happening else where during the war.

Ushgarak
If the DVD commentary is historically unbalanced, then I would certainly join ranks and criticise it.

The film itself, however, has no need to be cosmopolitan. Longest Day had done that already (and very well, too).

King Jedi
I've never seen The Longest Day.

The SPR DVD is very unbalanced and so are all the documentaries I've seen on it. It makes me feel left out. As if it wasn't made for anyone outside the U.S

phinney6
What do you guys think of "The Battle of the Bulge"

King Jedi
I've never seen it.

phinney6
I have not seen it in such a long time..but i remember liking it

Viseus
The best war movie ever is Stalingrad. It really tells the true story of what war is like. None of that american hero bullshit.

mah
true

jayride
Has no one considered the brillant genius of Casualties of War?http://www.allfree-clipart.com/gallery/gallery/3D_Animations/objects/8.gif

Dexx
hmmm faivourite movies....i have 2 and can't think wich one is better:
Pulp fiction and fight club.......damn....now those are movies

Thomas H
Black Hawk Down!

Dexx
oh, wait...after second reading i see this is a war movie list...hehe sorry.
i think it'll have to be The series of band of brothers.

Bad Boy
OK heres mine...

1) Pearl Harbor (i dont care wot u think- the sequence was amazing)
2) Black Hawk Down
3) Three Kings
4) Casulties of War
5) Braveheart
6) Armageddon (war with mother nature! i dunno im running out of films)
7) ummm
8) i would say acopylyse now or platoon but i aint seen them.
9) errrrrrrrr
10) oh yeh! that war film!

Gundark
War of the Worlds is a classic.

Thomas H
Yea, I have heard about that one...i have been thinking about buying it for a long time...is it good?

Gundark
For its time, it was a damn scary movie !

finti
......and it has a cool album too

Thomas H
album?..you mean soundtrack? of it is...what kind a artists sing in the soundtrack?

Gundark
I think this is what finti is referring to... I think.

http://members.aol.com/skyyeyes/jwwow.htm

Sabrea
i would have to say BHD, i dont watch that many war movies tho...

Dexx
gundy, you missed an "l" in that link big grin

Pinky
I guess the best war movie i've ever seen is South Park... laughing
No but seriously now i think Braveheart is my favourite too!

Thomas H
You mean Black Hawk DOwn?

mah
I think it's pretty safe to assume that's what she meant, yes...

Pinky
Black Hawk down is pretty cool...

Sabrea
yes, i meant black hawk down, i didnt really even watch it for the movie when i saw it *dont tell hayden, cause im sure u can all uess y i watched it, initails would be JH, but hayden doesnt need to kno* but after i saw it i loved it., it was a really good movie, and not just because of the reason that i watched it...

jayride
I'VE GOT IT! THE BEST WAR MOVIE OF ALL TIME IS...(drumroll)

"Enemy Mine"

Sabrea
think its big enough??

jayride
I'm just trying to emphasize the awesomeness and well...goodly goodness of the whole film. Enemy Mine and Casualties of War. Beautiful...absolutely beautiful. *tear*

Thomas H
Isent it the size that mathers!

Pinky
laughing It's not the size it's how u use it that counts.I am speaking about the saber of course! wink

Sabrea
which saber, whos??

Pinky
Are u really that interested? wink

Sabrea
tell me!...

Pinky
The answer is out there...use the force to find it... big grin

Sabrea
errr...the force doesnt help ne, especially with lightsabers, but im not gonna go there cause i dont wanna get hit gain, tell me!!

Pinky
I don't know i don't really like Anakin...Padme is nice but Anakin...he is evil and all...I'm a lightsider...he's a darksider...there's quite a difference there...

Sabrea
wat does that have to do with the force and lightsabers???? tell me, or ill have to attack...wait, nvm that, last time i tried to use my lightsaber i hit myself in the leg trying to open it...

Pinky
Attack me mentally wink
And stop postin those silly pictures with Anakin...he is EVIL!!!

Sabrea
anakin is not evil!...

Pinky
Well if Anakin isn't EVIL ,Darth Vader is GOOD!

Sabrea
no, they're both good...

Pinky
Yeah they're good at saber fighting...but that's all they're good at!

Thomas H
drop this star wars shit here, its an war thread, if you are going to talk star wars..do it on the other sections!

Pinky
Party breaker... sad

Thomas H
laughing out loud

Pinky
Sure laugh now but i'll be back...Bwahahahaha evil face

Corran
War, what is it good for?

(cue finti).

Pinky
If it wasn't for war you wouldn't know what peace is... wink

Corran
Hmmm you appear to be a glass half empty type.

Pinky
Yeah i guess i am!What isn't that a good thing?

Corran
I prefer the Glass half full approach, always try to find the positives in a situation.

Pinky
Well u optimist u!

Dexx
i'm a darksider too but i still don't like anakin.
Ok, back ontopic big grin

Sabrea
if ur a darksider then u r supposed to like evry1 on ur side, not hate them...

Pinky
Well...not exactly...

Sabrea
well ur not supposed to hate 'em, they're on ur side...

Thomas H
is this war movies people?hehe

Pinky
Here's the party breaker again...

Thomas H
evil face

Sabrea
isnt SW considered a war movie, especially seeing the word 'war' is right in it

Thomas H
well....not exactely...

Sabrea
theres lots of fighting and the name war is in the title, wat else do u need??

Dexx
well, i could take a camera and film a few squerls fighting. Would that be categorised as a war movie?

Sabrea
it might 'Squirrel Wars Episode I'

Thomas H
war for me is where they use guns who shoot bullets not lazer beams!

Sabrea
its a wa in another galaxy...

Thomas H
a wa...hehhe! anyway, as I said not war in my eyes!

Sabrea
i meant war

Pinky
.....party breaker!!! sad

Sabrea

Pinky
Easy...

Sabrea
me or him?? cause i didnt do nethign wrong

Pinky
He knows who is the party breaker....

Billy The Kid
well....back to the favourite movies....

Monty Python and the holy grail....

thank you smokin'

Fire
billy reply to my pm

Thomas H
well a since this is a war movie thread, maybe you should post your fav war movie not fav movie...(hehe FIRE, Pary bumper)

Sabrea
i already said, my fave. war movie is BHD, seeing u people wont accept SW as a war movie...

jayride
How about narrowing it down to a favorite war movie that takes place on EARTH between 1600-2002 AD?

Sabrea
ok

Fire
still don't, and won't ever consider SW as a war pic, cause it's a lot more then that
the fav war pic, that's gonna be hard BHD has something, but it's too much visiual effect and not enough viewpoints, so I'll stick to the longest day as absolute winner cause it shows that day from soo many viewpoints and

-btw u know u just ruled out braveheart with ur new rule-

Sabrea
by visual do u mean all the blood and guts??? i used to always watch movies like that cause my dad would make me sit through them...

Fire
yea blood, guts and explosions I mean it's nice and cool and all that, but it makes ppl forget the story behind the movie and it takes away much of the real story imo

Dexx
another war movie i like but don't exactly remember how it's called. Tigerland...i think

Thomas H
yea, its good to...

Sabrea
ur right, i didnt pay much attention to the movie...i was distracted by all the blood and explosions and evrything, and josh...maybe they shouldve picked some1 who wasnt gonna distract the audience...

Fire
for the last time josh didn't distract the audience, u are not the audience.
I went to see that movie and millions of other ppl so we are also part of the audience and we as hell didn't care wether or not josh was in it or someone else so josh didn't distract the audience he distracted u and maybe some other ppl

Sabrea
exactly, he distracted parts of the audience, but im still haydens forver...ne way, it wasnt that bad, i mean, there wasnt alot of blood and guts, not too much ne way

Thomas H
josh acted perfec as Sgt Matt Evressman, leader off chalk 4

Fire
well I don't only mean guts and blood also explosions and stuff like that

Sabrea
he acts perfect in evrything

Fire
don't get me wrong I love the stuff, all I'm saying is it takes time from the movie and so they can not show as many viewpoints as they once did

Sabrea
its not that bad tho..

J-ROC
My Favorite War Films-

Saving Private Ryan
Full Metal Jacket
We Were Soldiers
Black Hawk Down
Enemy at the Gates
Platoon
Apocalypse Now

I liked Pearl Harbor alot too.

Sabrea
yay!!BHD!!

Fire
sabrea it is bad, when u want a complete picture of the event, but that style of movie has been lost a long time now

Sabrea
wat, BHD?

Fire
no spending too much time and energy in the visual effects in movies

Sabrea
oh well...i liked it

Fire
I never said BHD was bad, it just doesn't show a complete picture, but not many war movies do, the longest day, still is the most complete war movie imo
tho we were soldiers also showed some other-side shots

Sabrea
i wanna see pearl harbor *ok, that was kinda random* i havent seen it yet

Fire
it's ok, first hour is boring as hell and the end really got dragged into it

Sabrea
so while the first hour is playing i can go on the internet lol

Thomas H
the bombing is amazing!(pearl H)

Fire
idd

Thomas H
?

Fire
idd = indeed smile
btw thomas I think I read somewhere in a thread or a pm
that u are a bruckheimer fan, well I'm too the guy has produced some of the best blockbusters ever
think I have almost all movies he made

mah
bruckheimer sick

Fire
mah I know he makes blockbuster movies but he makes good blockbuster movies stick out tongue

mah
good effects and action-scenes, bad movies

Fire
I think that describes a blockbuster movie smile

Thomas H
mah sick

Bruckheimer has produced some of the best blockbusters ever, like The Rock, Enemy Of the State, Beverly Hills Cop 1 2, Top Gun, Crimson Tide, all off these movies are classics!

Dexx
yeah..beverly hills cop and top gun....good ones..lol smile

rustiswordz
Me

Kelly's Heros
Where Eagles Dare
Saving Private Ryan
Battle of Britain

Fire
lol thomas u left out some important ones

but this should be the whole list:

Bad Company*
Black Hawk down*
Pearl Harbour*#
Remember the titans*
Coyote ugly*#
Gone in 60 seconds*#
Armageddon*#
Con air*#
The rock*#
Dangerous minds*#
Crimson tide*#
Bad boys*
The ref
Days of thunder*#
Beverly hills cop 2*#
Top gun*#
Beverly hills cop*#
Thief of hearts
Flashdance
Young doctors in love
Cat people
Thief
American gigolo*
Defiance
March or die
Farewell my lovely
The culpepper cattle co

*= seen
#= own

http://www.jbfilms.com this is the link

Thomas H
I was only talking about his summer blockbusters..smile
Anyway, I soon own every of them, I even have CSI seriers on orginal films!

Fire
cool
well some of them aren't my style
e.g. american gigolo not a movie I want let alone like

I got most which I want and like
except for BHD and a few others

Dexx
coyote ugly is such a waste of time....

Thomas H
not the best film ever! thats true, good entertainment!

Dexx
sick

Fire
I agree with thomas if u watch it after havin' a few too many beers with an all guys audience it ain't bad

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>