New Guy Inquiry

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sparky12
this is a little off key, but you guys would know. can someone recomend a good place to start start reading some SW novels? i read heir to the empire when i was nine, but never kept up with it. i'll have free time this summer, and was hoping for some good suggestions. thanx

jedi212guy
There are some though that you should not read. "The Crystal Star" is not only the worst Star Wars novel I had ever read, it is one of the worst overall novels I have ever read.

My advice: SKIP IT!! evil face

Ushgarak
Oh, there's some pretty bad stuff out there... but I agree with Edna, Truce at Bakura is a good start.

That's 'chronology', by the way, my dear...

Edna_witch
Geez gimme a break! Im allowed to make a typo once in a while! I missed the h! So sue me!

Ushgarak
I went to a grammar school where I was taught to despise bad grammar. So sue ME!

Edna_witch
Well the first one I read was the Truce at Bakura which starts the morning after the battle of Endor. Quite a convenient place really! I suppose cronological order is the best way to read them really but it doesnt really matter! Just make sure you finish trilogies and duologies or that can get very confusing! And you have to read the NJO books in order. That is a definite must! But I would advise starting at the truce at Bakura and going cronologically as much as poss. Then things like the Han Solo series and Shadows of the empire which come before and during the films can really be read at any time!

Hope that helps!

JediOasis
I would read three series of books. First you have to read the Thrawn trilogy, a lot of important characters are introduced, ie Mara Jade, and the Solo twins. Then read the Jedi Academy trilogy for the same reason. And finally start reading the New Jedi Order series, they are the best yet.....

spoiler space....

.......Coruscant is going to fall in the new hardback due out in October, Star by Star.

Edna_witch
He doesnt mean the thrawn trilogy. He means the Empire trilogy which you started when you read Heir to the Empire. The Thrawn Duology is an extension of that set ten years later.

darth fester
ive just read tales of the bounty hunters which is ok

set during esb

Sparky12
word. thanx giez, ill b lukin in2 that suen

Sparky12
sorry about the sarcasm, but i couldn't resist.

Ushgarak
Your clumsy sarcasm cannot defeat me! I am superior to you ALL!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

OK, seem to have got carried away there... in fact I corrected Edna not as part of some snobbish crusade, but because we have a joke going in that department...

jedi212guy
Hey, there is a big difference between "British" English and real "American" English! (I'm not trying to pick a fight, just to be a tad annoying) evil face

Ushgarak
Yes, but that has nothing to do with me correcting Edna and her Staffordshire ways...

jedi212guy
I was just sticking up for Jeffrey from Colorado. Nice state, it is.

Edna_witch
For crying out loud, it was a typo! I know my typin is bad and i know I cant spell just stop going on about it! Im not a computer wizzkid or an English schollar!. My talents lie elsewhere! So there!

Yes and dont you dare point out my many spelling mistakes in this either!

Ushgarak
Well, that's THAT bit of fun out the window...

jedi212guy
That witch is just no fun, isn't she? laughing out loud

Ushgarak
She has her moments...

Darth Pants
I'd probably try some books, but there's always that fact that GL didn't write them that spoils the idea for me. Plus, ideas like lizard aliens invading the DAY AFTER the Battle of Endor, who take people's SPIRITS and use them to power their GUNS, sicken me quite frankly. Sorry to any fans of the book, but I prefer to think of weapons being powered by blaster gas and energy cells, not ghosts. I said I'd never come to this board for fear of ranting, so I'll leave now. Sorry.

Ushgarak
Too late, they have you marked...

Sparky12
my roommate's paternal origins involve kentucky.

JediOasis
sweet, right now I am living in Lexington, going to UK. Anyways, you should really read the Corellian Trilogy too, they are excellent.

ratcat
Your coming to the UK JO?

JediOasis
No, sorry I meant I am a college student at the University of Kentucky, which to Americans is known as UK. rolling on floor laughing

ratcat
Just to confuse people.

darth_dracus
hi

Jam-Jul_Lison
Ok here are my reccomendations. I encourage you to read them all in order. Most of the books are good and some are not so good but all are important parts of the Star Wars Story line. Some people do not like the EU because they say it was not written by Lucas or is not part of his vision of Star Wars. So what if they are not. Star Wars belongs to the people and not Lucas. He gave it up to us when he let the first EU book be written. About the only EU books I do not care for is the New Jedi Order series. The Vong just seemed a little off to me. I understand now why they could not be detected through the force but even that makes little sense. To take away it's presense in the force would be to take away it's life. Without the force there is no life and without life there is no Force. To me that is just seems more like an insult to everything Star Wars is. That is as bad as Greedo Shooting First, the celebration everywhere at the end of the Return of the Jedi Special Edition, replacing the orginal actor playing Anakin's Ghost with Haden Christionson at the end of the Return of the Jedi Special Edition, and the idea that Jar Jar is smart. If I made any mispelling, I am sorry. I do not feel like fixing them. expecialy if it is the last name to an Actor I do not realy care for. Yes he is a good actor but he is not in the same league as actors such as Harrison Ford. Look at me rambling on like this sorry. Well read all the books if you can. Also my first 3 books were Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command. Those 3 right there are also in my opinion the best books in the series. Heck they as good as the orginal trilogy and they blow the prequals out of the water.

DarthMaul9123
don't read from pre saga books then skip to post sage because it confuses you, i guess start at truce at barkura, or around there and read all the way through.

Jam-Jul_Lison
I enjoy the post books more then the pre books anyways. lol

Tangible God
Or better yet, don't revive old thread.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.