Expanded Universe IS relevant . . .

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Ninja
As I stated on the old board, Expanded Universe IS relevant. Where do you think GL got the idea of a double-bladed lightsaber from? The Sith War was written YEARS before Episode 1 was written. Exar Kun IS relevant, because he invented the double-bladed lightsaber and Darth Maul used one in Episode 1. That proves EU IS relevant. There are other examples also, but I'll let you find those out on your own.

Ushgarak
I'm sorry, DN, but in relation to the films, the EU is NOT relevant, and that is OFFICIAL policy. Nothing you or I say or do will change that. They have NO canonical status; therefore anything they say is irrelevant to the films

And the double-bladed sabre is not such an odd idea that it MUST have been based on Exar. And we have no reasom to think that it was.

This argument has been done to death... it's not that I don't like EU, but the point is that they no not apply to the gospel Star Wars Universe. GL doesn't want them to, never wanted them to, and will not allow them to. ONLY the films are the real deal.

darth fester
GL dosnt supply us with enough

so the eu has to count

Ushgarak
It depends what you mean by 'count'. I mean, obviously it exists, and we should bear it in mind, and they are perfectly valid in their own right. But when GL ddefines the official Star Wars Universe- that we have to accept is his right to do, and his alone- the EU doesn't figure. Now, thay may be a tragedy, or it may not, but either way that is the case.

ratcat
I think that in the grander scale of things, the EU is relevant, but anything in the six movies will automatically overrule anything in the books, graphic novels, comics, CCG, computer games, etc, etc...

Once the films are finished, the EU should gain some canoncal status as it will then be the ongoing stories.

Ushgarak
That's an on-going debate; I'd have no objection to that, but it doesn't look like GL will play ball.

Ushgarak
Mara Jade's lightsabre, Obi-Wan's appearance in Truce at Bakura and the construction of the Death Star are three more biggies, though Fett is by far the largest. It's a more theoretical than practical thing.

ratcat
Why, Why and lastly why?

Ushgarak
MJs sabre is an illegal colour, Obi-Wan's appearance in ghost form was a BIG risk and has already been dumped by the big boys, and all the DS stuff about Despayre has been thropwn out as well

ratcat
The jury is still out on the official sabre colour line.
Ghosts come, they go... laughing out loud
And as for DS construction, never been addressed has it?

Ushgarak
The POINT is that, come the crunch, the books have zero power. None at all. They are worth nothing in that line. That's the way it is.

If you raised an objection to any of the above on the grounds that 'The Eu said..." you would have no case.

And canonical sources sink the Despayre thing.

ratcat
I know about the Fett thing, but where else has he ignored EU?

*Prepares for barrage of examples.*

ratcat
OK, I agree with what you are saying, apart from one thing. The only canonical source is the movies, screenplays and the like can't really be included so that the statement you make is in direct contention with your arguement.

Despayre is an EU thing, and therefore not canon but nothing in the movies actually tells us where construction took place, or how many Deathstars there might be...

IMHO

Ushgarak
Canoncial sources make it very clear that Alderan was the FIRST planet to be destroyed by the DS, making Despayre's destruction impossible.

And I should remind you that the screenplays ARE canonical. So are the novelisations and radio plays. But there is a strict pecking order involved. Things fropm the lower three canon grades can be ruled un-canonical if they seem illogical for one reason or another (Luke's lightsabre constrcution may be such a detail,lifted moslty as it is from SOTE). Stuff from the films is ALWAYS canonical unless Lucasfilm's Production and Continuity department rules otherwise- like the ROTJ rank badges.

On the whole, though, you can accept all 4 as correct.

Zereil
Returning to an original point of the apparent potential relevence of Exar Kun is this then likely that we are going to see the return of the double length Light saber?...

Ushgarak
It would seem not, despite speculation that the new descrption of the 'Sith Ligfhtsabre' on the official site suggests that all Sith sabres are double-bladed.

Zereil
Making Vader a what? A handicapped syth? Or is that inferring a generalisation that predominantly Syth have double lightsabers, anyway in the Expanded universe that is a falsification as there have been double lengthers, and field widener lightsabers

ratcat
Does anyone think this double bladed sabre is a deliberate ploy by GL to represent some other oriental warrior type whilst the single blade version ramains analogous to the Samoria? (spelling???)

Also, that Vader maintained a single blade as he was initially trained as a Jedi and learnt that style rather than a Sith style with a double blade as seen in use by Maul???

Zereil
Are you infering that Maul represented the equivilent of the Bo staff as opposed to the Samurai blade. Does that could partially explain the Double blade at half mast he seems to fight differently than a sword so perhaps a Jo or Tanjo staff technique (shorter staffs) That can become extended at will. The only fear then is the next Darth with Sai or Nunchukers perhaps light shirukin...

ratcat
Basically yes, I'm not much up on the martial arts so could not put names to the various arts as they stand.

I'm not saying that we will see a whole load of different martial styles, but more that the "staff" style is that favoured by the Sith. It's possible..

Zereil
In actuality if you think about it Vader had an armor akin to the Samurai whereas Lukes movements were more like ninjitsu although with some Jujitsu handling techniques. I tihnk in general the martial arts are simply adapted according to who the actor is and what they are capable of but it is the element of the look and the weapon that is the key. MAybe age is why OB1 and Vader at an old age become like samurai, yet as youth they go more for the martial art warrior technique as can be seen in the difference of technique in OB1 younger to older...

Ushgarak
No. Vader and Obi-Wan are nothing like Samurai when they are older; they are European fencers.

The 'sithsabre' thing, in any case, is a mis-reading of the website, I think. We have nothing to indicate that Sith favour fancy weapons, and plenty to indicate that an individual like Maul WOULD.

Luke was like ninjitsu... how? It was al Kendo at that point...

BTW, the double-sabre is nothing like a bo-staff, so don't worry about them going down that line.

Darth Ninja
Luke a ninjs? LMAO! Luke isn't even close to a ninja. The only Star Wars movie character that even comes close to a ninja is Boba Fett.

ratcat
HOw so, I never considered Fett to be particualrily nimble on his feet. The only move he did that came close was in ROTJ and that was rocket aided.

He never seemed very stealthy to me, mopre the strong, silent type.

JediOasis
What has Boba Fett done in the movies besides get killed very easily by Han Solo?...............um, nothing. The EU has made him a legend, not Lucas.

Darth Ninja
The trilogy said very little about Boba Fett. He is one mysterious warrior. It remains to be seen in Episode 7 (if GL ever makes it) if Boba ever gets out of the Sarlacc (like he did in EU).

finti
well I havent read to much about Bobba Fett and I think his costune made him a legend not EU written by authors who build on another mans work. I have as little respect for those EU authors as I have for rap artist stealing tunes as back up and claiming they made it.

Zereil
That is a little harsh particularly on an EU board. Yes OK so it may or may not purely be speculation and or based on a premise but it is all light entertainment and in the end of the day if you start thwarting others perceptions it will start to corrupt and destroy the magic others get from it. Not that I disrespect your point of view but everyone should have a right to their own perspective. How would you like it if Theologically someone tramples all over your image of your view of how to take religion and what you want to do with it. It sort of like saying the Old testament may be followed but your a fool to even start to take it in part in the New Testiment no no that is all poor and should be admonished and just vaguely glanced at. As I was saying this means I respect how you look at it but it gets tyring that there are so many who think arguments of this nature should be black or white, as in I believe in the EU or its impossible, why not just 'who knows it doesn't effect me glad you like it that way...'

Ushgarak
Hey, Zereil, if the man doesn't like it, he can say so. That's how it works here...

The only problem area is the crossover between EU and Canon, and this is a fact that cannot be argued with, really. As for the QUALITY of the EU, well, that;s a whole different thing...

Big Gerald
Not anymore, bitches

Azronger
Wow this thread is ancient

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.