If to read EU

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

finti
If Im gonna start reading EU what should I start with, I have Rouge Planet and that sucked big time really poor stuff. The ships they talk about sounds like a rip off from a Babylon 5 episode. And I think Bab 5 sucks, imagine how I felt for this book.
So load on with your opinions on which series to start with.

JediOasis
You may as well start with Heir to the Empire, it was the first. You could start with Truce at Bakura, it takes place the day after ROTJ. Whatever you do, make sure you read the New Jedi Order, its almost as good as the movies themselves.

R.C
Some might even say better than the movies.

finti
That is impossible.

Ratcat
After the bashing TPM got I wouldn't rule it out...

KDawg
You should read Young Jedi Knights if you want to get to know Jacen, Jaina, Tenal Ka, or Lowbacca.
But you should definitly read NJO, Cloak of Deception, and Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter.

Ratcat
NJO is a fantatsic way in, but it does assume that you have some apreciation of what has gone beofre in the EU.

LanceWindu
Another way to do it:
Go along with the timeline that you can find in the NJO series.

Ushgarak
I cannot see Finti for a single moment reading Young Jedi Knights.

LanceWindu
Why can't you see Finti reading YJK?

finti
Well I didnt find young muppets very amuzing.

Ratcat
Hmm, Muppets in Space was on today. The big Bear security guy at the research plant was hilarious...

King Jedi
laughing out loud Never watch a muppet movie when you're half asleep. For the rest of the day you keep wondering "Did that really happen or was I dreaming?".

LanceWindu
laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud

Julie
YJK is a good series and very easy reading. Jedi Apprentice are also good if you want to learn about young Obi-Wan Kenobi. NJO is a definate must read series. It was ok at the start, but Balance Point and the book folowing it are awesome. The next few book in the series sound very interesting. Truce at Bakura was good. I, Jedi was a good book if you want to know more about Corran Horn. Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter was pretty good; it was different but good.

Ushgarak
Finti will NOT like YJK no matter what, I am certain of it.

finti
What is the chronological order of the books?

LanceWindu
Of what books? NJO, YKJ, or all?

finti
of them all.

LanceWindu
Jedi Apprentice series
Cloak of Deception
Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
The Phantom Menace
The Han Solo Trilogy
The Adventures of Lando Calrissian
The Han Solo Adventures
A New Hope
Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina
Splinter of the Minds Eye
The Empire Stricks Back
Tales of the Bounty Hunters
Shadows of the Empire
Return of the Jedi
Tales from Jabba's Palace
The Bounty Hunter Wars
The Truce at Bakura
X-Wing Series
The Courtship of Princess Leia
X-Wing Isard's Revenge
The Thrawn Trilogy
The Jedi Acadamy Trilogy
I, Jedi
Children of the Jedi
Darksaber
Planet of Twilight
X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar
The Crystal Star
The Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy
The New Rebellion
The Corellian Trilogy
The Hand of Thrawn Duology
Junior Jedi Knights Series
Young Jedi Knights Series
The New Jedi Order Series

Maybe even some I don't know about.
There you go, hope it helps.

Ushgarak
Just a quick reminder that Splinter of the Mind's Eye has been removed from the official storyline, though it is still listed in a chronological order. And even if you do accept it, it very badly contradicts other things, and it's a bit yucky as well...

yerssot
What is wrong with that?

Ushgarak
It was the Luke/Leia relationship I was referring to.

finti
A lot of books can I go by it like this or does the x wing series have stuff in it that must be read or else I loose vital info?

The Truce at Bakura
The Thrawn Trilogy
The Jedi Acadamy Trilogy
I, Jedi
Children of the Jedi
Darksaber
Planet of Twilight
The Crystal Star
The Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy
The New Rebellion
The Corellian Trilogy
The Hand of Thrawn Duology
The New Jedi Order Series

JediOasis
The Truce at Bakura(A good book, but nothing major really happens)
The Courtship of Princess Leia(A must read, introduces the Hapans and has the Han and Leia marriage.)
The Thrawn Trilogy(MUSTMUSTMUST read, a lot of the major EU characters are introduced)
The Jedi Acadamy Trilogy(Another must read, introduces Kyp Durron, a major player of the New Jedi Order)
I, Jedi(good book, but not a must read)
Children of the Jedi(Pointless and stupid)
Darksaber (Awful)
Planet of Twilight (Another bad one)
The Crystal Star (Worst SW book out there)
The Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy (Not bad, but it doesn't really explain anything)
The New Rebellion(The best non-series SW book)
The Corellian Trilogy (Must read, lots of good story lines)
The Hand of Thrawn Duology (Its the end of the Empire, a definite)
The New Jedi Order Series(By far and away the best series to date, far supierior to the Thrawn trilogy. )

finti
Can they be read separately or is it a common tread like aging and events. Like events in one book is followed up by another ( I know there is a lot of different authors here only one i know is Kenneth?Anderson.)

finti
Well I have become a member on an Internett book club in Norway. And my first order is
The Truce at Bakura

I will start with these two, I have a lot of catching up to do. Man there are many books I need to be selective in my choice of books. Are there books that is a must, I need to read so I wont miss out on anything. After that books I have already chosen that is.

JediOasis
The first two you selected are a good choice.

finti
They are supposed to be right after ROTJ, I go from there.

yerssot
I just got some comics!!!!!!!!!!
What is the best?
I think it's the one mission to malastare with almost the entire coucil and with a tuskenraider-jedi (I only have the second of the eight)

JediOasis
The Dark Empire comics are pretty good, they deal with the resurected Emperor.

yerssot
And how many parts are there?

Ushgarak
Oh God, NOT the ressurected Emperor... were they SO bereft of imagination that that was all they could think of to do?

See, I appreciate the NJO series for actually trying to be forward thinking rather than clinging so hard to the past like all those clone plots did.

yerssot
What is your favorit comic than Ush?

Still, my favorit is Mission to Malastare!!!!!!!!! Extremly Good!

Julie
I haven't gooten a chance to read many of the comics? any sugesstions?

yerssot
Mission to Malastare!!!!

Julie
I'm beginning to see a patern here. So where would I go about finding "Mission to Malastare?"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.