The "cool" guy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DJ Velocity
Has it occurred to anyone else that Lucas is searching for a "cool" guy in these films?

In ESB, we were introduced to Mr Fett and everyone lost their minds. Even today he has a cult following.

When TPM was in the works I recall hearing something along the lines of "Darth Maul is going to be the new Boba Fett". Despite the fact he was only in the movie a short time, he too had a LOT of merchandise.

Now. Jango Fett. I am getting the feeling that GL is trying to create another loveable baddie for epII.

Could this be to capitalize on the merchandise which he has done so with Boba and Maul? I don't know.

But lets not forget, Maul was never as "cool" as Boba Fett.

Dim
I don't think that Maul and Boba are fair comparisions..Mainly because Fett was such a minor character in OT. I'm sure that you are right about GL trying to make a dynamic bad guy..I think Chris Lee will fight that bill nicely.

queeq
But Lee is not good merchandise material. Well, not since he doesn't use the teeth anymore. big grin

darthyogi
Lucas would never do anything just to cash in merchandise, surely? smile

It's a fair point, though, and I've often wondered why Fett was soooo popular with fans. The best I can come up with is that Fett (with the exception of the Emperor and Moff Tarkin, who were set up as Vader's superiors) Fett was the character with confidence enough to be strong in Vader's presence. And as Vader was the primary villain, and everyone else seemed to cower in his presence, that makes him pretty special. Remember the scene on Bespin in ESB, "He's no good to me dead"? Who else in would have had the gaul to lay down conditions like that with Vader? No-one, making Fett an instant hit. Of course, the use of Fett in the pre-release hype helped - but he lived up to expectations. Despite the fact that Fett appeared in so few scenes and said so little is irrelevant, when he did appear he was tough and formidable enough to be memorable and think that's entirely down to the fact he didn't cower from Vader.

Creating a character who's cool in the same way for the sequels will be difficult, I reckon - afterall, there's a whole army of jedi who're going to stand up to the villains, battle brave and defy their threat.

My bet is, if Lucas is planning a cool character at all he'll related directly to Fett - else be another devil-may-care bounty hunter.

But we'll see. big grin

King Jedi
Every SW character is cool. There is no one cooler than Yoda.

Ushgarak
I think Jango gets disqualified from true cool cult status because it looks like he may actually have a few lines...

King Jedi
And he is identical to Boba Fett (no pun intended).

queeq
Yet, Fetts are great merchandise, no doubts there. It'll help for sure.

finti
well Boba Fett had a very small part to. Kind of a similarity between those two characthers.

Ushgarak
Actually, my point was that Jango's part is too BIG for him to be the cool guy.

yerssot
You're totally right Ush!!
Look at the cool guys! That are 2: Boba and Maul, they are cool because they look cool and they don't do much, even talking is reduced too a minimum.

King Jedi
You could add Aurra Sing to the "cool" list and she hasn't said a word yet.

yerssot
I didn't find her so good, for that 1.5 seconds that she was in the movie, I hope she has a great rol in EpII

King Jedi
It's amazing how someone can be in a Star Wars film for one and a hlf seconds yet get so much publicity.

Ushgarak
Indeed, it IS odd. It's one of those little pieces of Star Wars magic.

But yes, I am afraid that Jango is to much of a star to be cool...

jedi212guy
Yes, but when Jango is on scene, it will be practically like an early Boba Fett, which he really is. I don't know what my point is, but he's too similar to Boba to be a new cool guy, or something.

yerssot
Let's shut up about Aurra Sing, I'm afraid everything is so blown up about her that she is overestimated as a cool girl. So prevent that from happening!!

King Jedi
Don't you think that's good though? She hasn't done a thing yet she is so hyped and popular. I think Lucas is definatley modelling her as the prequels Boba Fett. They both had one very short scene in the foirst movies of both trilogies.

yerssot
That's the whole point, she hasn't done a thing and already she is suposed to be a 'Boba Fett'-girl. Whe don't know anything about her, remind you that the scripts of EPII that are on-line are maybe not the one shooted so, you still can't give a reference from that

jedi212guy
Accordin to the scripts online, Aurra Sing gets wasted by Jango within 30 minutes of the movie. Doesn't sound too cool to me.

sand person no. 10
I can't understand people who have been reading leaked scripts, I'd rather gossip and specualte now and have the facts in a years time.

King Jedi
So would I and some of the scripts that were online were fake anyway.

Ushgarak
While that is true, and I have long tried to weed out and expose the untrusths that some people quote, the plain fact is that sources like TFN collate a lot more fact than fiction and much of what you can quote from, say, their scritpment (now removed by Lucasfilm) is very likely to be accurate, broadly.

yerssot
Obvious that the story on TFN VERY close to the truth was, underwise it didn't had to be moved

sand person no. 10
although i enjoy knowing snippets of what will happen, don't you think it is ruining what will happen in just over 300 days by reading these supposed scriptments, I would like to go to the cinema and watch something that makes me think, wow, i had no idea, i had no idea about the plot for ep1, i only knew about it a year before it was released and even then before i saw it i didn't know too much and i'm pleased i didn't, if you read to many scriptments i feel it ruins what should be an experience that should be remembered for being memorable and not for somethignt that you read about 2 years earlier and imagined.

King Jedi
I agree. But I can't help myself! mad

darth fester
hello someone said everyone in star wars is cool

3 words
jar jar binks

King Jedi
Five words - Jar Jar Binks is cool. big grin

yerssot
King Jedi, are you ok???
Stop taking those pills!!

King Jedi
No, I meant what I said. big grin

yerssot
I pitty you

King Jedi
I pity the people with JarJarophobia, who are somehow scared of an orange amphibian alien. smile

Ushgarak
This could go on for a while.

yerssot
No, you don't get it! I'm not scared, I'm BORED with 'him'

Ushgarak
DId I say you were scared?

yerssot
No! It was about King Jedis reply
Sorry big grin

Ushgarak
Oooh, sorry...

King Jedi
If you're bored with Jar Jar then don't talk about him. The people who like him aren't the ones who keep talking about him. It's all the haters who keep bringing him up.

yerssot
well, bored was not the right word, I think he is not of any value to the movie, and was only placed there for the amusement of the children

King Jedi
Of course he was put there for the amusement of the children. But so was Chewbacca and Jar Jar is just as important to TPM as Chewie was to the O.T. Most of the plots and characterization in TPM couldn't have happened without Jar Jar.

But if you don't like him then don't bring him up.

queeq
And he was good merchandise material. I didn't like him much, yet I bought some JarJar stuff for my son. Go figure.

sand person no. 10
the reason jarjar was there was because he was the link between the gungans and the queen, without jarjar there would have been no army to fight the trade federation, he also provies some comedy to what is if you think about it a very dark film, perhaps not on screen but certinly in the background the suffering of a people, deception, death, greed etc. If you take jarjar out the film, the film loses some of its comedy, i would not be surprised if Jarjar has not matured in the next film in line with the darker theme and it is then 3po providing the comedy.

queeq
Okay, when was the suffering exactly? In the scenes where people where led off in a calm and nice way by battle droids? Or where all the cartoon characters fell over while nice spangled blue balls were jumping around? That was a comedy in itself. Didn't need JarJar for that.

sand person no. 10
there are countless comments from the queen about her people suffering, there was the video message from sio bible - which may have been a trick, there was the comment from the viceroy about sio bible dieing before his people.

queeq
I know there were comments. But there were ONLY comments. That doesn't make it a dark film. No emotion of suffering was transferred to the audience. THis was once of TPM's flaws. The battles meant very little emotionally. Although, the shots of the capture of Theed with all the tanks driving in and ships flying over was fairly impressive. But I saw no suffering.

sand person no. 10
it was a kids film with a U rating, there was no way lucas would actually let children see actual suffering.

King Jedi
I agree with sand person no 10. If you take Jar Jar out of TPM then the film doesn't work as well. He helped with the characterization. Obi-Wan is arrogant and doesn't like the "living force" always refering to pathetic life forms and Lucas used Jar Jar to tell that. I love the scene when they are returning to the ship after visiting Mos Espa and Jar Jar says "hello" to Obi-Wan, but Obi-Wan just ignores him and keeps walking.

But I agree with Queeg. The lack of suffering was one of the things I didn't like about TPM. Anakin is supposed to be a slave but he has a pretty good life.

queeq
That WAS a pretty cool scene yes.

And, SP, the OT was U rated as well. But in all films we saw battle, people dying and suffering. Heck, we even saw those bloody Ewoks die and mourn the dead. So there's no excuse really.

jedi212guy
Poor little Ewoks... sad sad

queeq
Pardon?

laughing out loud

yerssot
I thought that the scene in ANH with Beru and Owen was cruel

DJ Velocity
I'm with you Queeq.

No suffering in TPM, it was a childish movie in star wars terms.

sand person no. 10
are those charred remains in anh beru and owen, i could never tell

queeq
We can be reasonable sure they are.

King Jedi
Maybe they are clones!! big grin (I'm kidding).

yerssot
If it aren't the bodys of Beru and Owen, why is he crying like a baby?

sand person no. 10
perhaps some sand got in his eye

King Jedi
If that happened to you're gaurdians, wouldn't you be crying?

yerssot
Sorry, but I found out the truth now: he IS a cry-baby

King Jedi
Like I said before - Wouldn't you be upset?

yerssot
Yes, but he IS a crybaby

queeq
This could go on forever.

King Jedi
Not if he answers the question. I don't have a clue what he's getting at anyway. Does anyone else?

Ratcat
No, and I think you're right KJ. To Luke it was like loosing his parents.

sand person no. 10
you say that, but how do you think they felt when he was always obsessed with his parents, in fact why do you think they told him about his father, could they have just not pretended that they were his parents.

Ratcat
Hmmm, no, they were honest people, they couldn't have done that.

**OK, I assume thgey are honest people but that may be diproven in AOTC

yerssot
I think they just told him so they could control his temper, they could always say that his father didn't do this or that so Luke wouldn't do it also

queeq
I think that's it. In fact, they may have done so in agreeance with OB1.

yerssot
I don't think that:
"The thought you would follow old Obi-Wan on some damn crusade like your father did"
"oh no, my father didn't fought in the Clone Wars, he was a pilot on a spiceschip"
"That is what they told you"
I'm not sure about the last sentence

Ratcat
Yes, but we know how OB1 likes to view things from "a certain point of view"

sand person no. 10
i still don't understand why they told Luke that they weren't his parents, it makes no sense, I'd of thought that Luke would've been too young to remember being given to the Lars so why confuse his mind by telling him that they weren't his parents, if anything was going to make him more inquisitive and rebelious it was surely that.

Ratcat
There are a whole host of reasons, all based around adoption and stuff.

sand person no. 10
what reasons, i assume leia wasn't told.

queeq
I'm not saying that OB1 and Owen got along. They might have made some kind of agreement.

On the other hand, maybe it didn't work out that well. I just remembered OB1 not liking Owen version of Anakin's past. Must be a mistake then. We'll see.

King Jedi
I'm hoping that only Padme, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Owen and Beru and Bail Organa know about the kids.

queeq
THat seems about right, yes. Except that maybe OB1 does not know about Leia.

King Jedi
I still think he knows. It was just his arrogance that made him think Leia couldn't become a Jedi.

sand person no. 10
why should Bail Organa, Owen and Beru know about the twins, would that put the twins life in danger? Obviously Padme and Yoda know and probably ob1 but surely the mpre people who know the greater the risk.

Ushgarak
It seemed pretty obvious to me that Obi-Wan was right to favour Luke and discount Leia. Yoda was acting as if time was no option; Obi-Wan knew better. Leia would never be ready in time before all hope was utterly destroyed.

queeq
Why would it take longer to train Leia? She was active in the rebellion long before Luke came around.

yerssot
It is not because she was acive in the rebellion before Luke that she would be a greater Jedi, Luke has maybe more MC or stuff.

queeq
Yeah right. How extremely speculative of you.

yerssot
Why would it take longer to train Leia? She was active in the rebellion long before Luke came around.

Now THAT is even worser than speculate now isn't it? The rebellion has nothing to do with Jedis, they don't train them so, what do you think than

King Jedi
Because Luke goes to live with Owen and Beru and Leia goes to live with Bail.

yerssot
That isn't the same, they could know that there is one, the one they adopted, there is no indication they know about the other

King Jedi
Well what would be the point in not telling them?

They already know that they are looking after the child of Anakin so it's not as if it's a big secret to them.

yerssot
They are probably not there when Amidala gives birth to them, so they don't know that, for the same reason Luke and Leia weren't told that they had other relatives (eachother)

Ushgarak
What do you mean why would it take longer to train Leia? Luke was OBVIOUSLY the one showing power; Leia was showing virtually nothing at all. The entire focus of the story is that Luke is the one to get this job done. The Leia thing is just a twist. Obi-Wan knew what he was doing.

And Yerssot is right; involvment in the Rebellion has nothing to do with it at all.

sand person no. 10
Luke only showed power because ob1 got to him first, perhaps if Leia had got to see ob1 then it would have been a different matter, them being twins probably means the power divide is equal, Leia does show power in being able to sense Luke at the end esb, Yoda obviously thought that Leia had some power or he wouldn't have said about there being another and Luke even says that she can have the same power as him.

Ushgarak
I just think Yoda was being over-hopeful.

I think it is clearly presented that Luke's powers, if not the greater, manifested first and that is not just a result of training. He was the one they needed. Getting Leia to save the day was just a pipe dream.

sand person no. 10
i still think it would have been interesting to see Leia trained as well, she does show some of the Jedi signs, i.e at the end of rotj when she knows Luke isn't dead, and can't she see the ghosts at the end as well?

Dim
I don't think so..she doesn't really look at them. All of her focus is on Luke.

yerssot
2 things:

1) she CAN'T see the ghost, otherwhise she would scream or something because her FATHER stood there and she didn't even looked!

2) Being able to 'hear' Luke at the end of ESB doesn't have anything to do with being able to use the Force, not even a little. The best example to explain this is in ANH were a stormtrooper gets tricked by Ob1, it is the same thing; you are transmitting something in their heads

Ratcat
I never felt that Leia saw anything.

King Jedi
How would Obi-Wan know that Luke had greater potential? And don't say Midi-Chlorians. It didn't work for Anakin.

Dim
Maybe it wasn't that he had greater potential but rather that he was more curious and eager to learn about the Force.

yerssot
AND Leia was already known as princess of Alderaan. So she was already being watched by others, so everybody would know when she underwent the training

King Jedi
So are you talking about when they are growing up or when they are babies?

yerssot
After her mother died when she was very little, she was adopted by Organa. Than she became princess, and everybody looked at here so she couldn't do the training or everybody knew it

King Jedi
Who tried to train her as a Jedi?

yerssot
No-one, I said that it was imposseble to train her

King Jedi
How did they know she was impossible to train? They must have tried.

yerssot
She was in the publisaty so the Emperor would knew a second later what she did. Luke was on a remote planet

Ushgarak
In what sense did the MC's 'not work' with Anakin, KJ?

But in any case, I doubt MC's had much to do with it. I think we can rely on Obi-Wan's top notch instinct.

jedi212guy
OB1 couldn't train Leia. He died before ever meeting her. Luke was already farther along in his training than Leia. That's why Luke went to Yoda and Leia was left alone.

DJ Velocity
Perhaps Obi-Wan knew something the others didn't. The prophecy. Only Yoda and Obi-Wan knew the crack and with a combined effort, they used LUKE, not leia, to get the job done.

King Jedi
We're talking about the Jedi potential of Luke and Leia and why one was chosen over the other to be trained. They couldn't have just decided by counting midi-chlorians when they were babies because Anakin had more than anyone but still fell to the dark side. So midi-chlorians aren't a good judge of he will train well.

queeq
OKay, fellows. Tad off topic. You can continue this debate by opening another thread. THis one's closing.

Ushgarak
It;s not that important. You;d better have another go at closing it, though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.