Grand Moff Tarkin is in Episode III

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

StarWars_Fan
Well apperently Grand Moff Tarkin is in Episode III(probably a younger version of him)anyway if he is in Episode III, we might even get to see The Death Star, remember in Episode II we got to see The Death Star plans so anything is possible.

finti
I doubt we will see the Death Star in ep III, after all it is a newly built space station in ANH and that is 20 years later on in the SW saga

yerssot
also doubt about the DS and it's still not 100% sure if tarkin will be in it

BOB Yup its me
Actually, Episode III is set 18 years before A New Hope. Or at least it was the last I checked.

Darth Hater
i think the pictures we've seen is him

KOkid
They might have started construction of the Death Star, they did build the new one pretty quickly, but maybe the first on took long, although 18 years is pretty long, and yeah, like finti said, it would of probably to been pretty new in ANH, we'll probably see the plans again or hear dialog about, Maybe from Tarkin, it seems to be his "baby" in ANH. I definitely think he will be in Episode 3, but towards the end of the movie and I see him having a small, but noticeable, role. What do you think Darth?

Darth Hater
i totally agree...

although,it wouldnt surprise me if he had a lil more screen time

KOkid
True.......

mephistodesigns
I'm confused about the whole relationship of the Geonosisians and the Death Star, in the II commentary, Lucas says they end up building it, but its always been the idea (and this was official last time I checked) that it was in fact Tarkin's baby as someone pointed out. It was always said that he took the plans from the guy who helped to invent the TIE engine. but Tarkin took it to the Emperor as his own idea, which is why he supervises it. I mean crap, he was even bossing Vader around. Which means the Emperor obviously respects Tarkin a great deal, or at the very least respects his temporary usefulness. I suppose that all could've happened off screen and now the Geonosians are contracted to build it but it doesn't fit the time table. I only want an explaination of who designed it and who's gonna build it. That would be easily covered in a minute or two.

Joseph_Kerr
Meph, I think a lot of the stuff you mentioned was EU and not Canon.

yerssot
yup; JKerr is right here, all EU smile

Darth Hater
damn EU.... stick out tongue

Captain REX
laughing out loud

finti
finally it dawns on people

KOkid
yeah, i definitely get the impression that Tarkin was higher ranked than Vader, he does tell him in ANH.....i also agree that eu complicates things...

mephistodesigns
its not ALL eu, a lot of it is stuff GL has said in various talks about SW I've seen. But, its also doesn't matter because he can change whatever he wants that isn't written in film. But the implication has always been that Tarkin had something to do with its origin or he wouldn't be the ranking officer. But there was that other guy, the little prick Vader chokes, Vader said "technilogical terror you've constructed" to that guy. i'm not sure if he means that guy in particular or if he means the Empire in general. but, i'd at least appreciate a HINT of how it comes to be. We don't need anymore debates once 3 is done GL! big grin

yerssot
Motti? the 'you' always was aimed at "humans" as opposed to "jedi" I thought

finti
Yeah Vader choked Motti, and Vader tells him not to be too proud of the technological terror HE has constructed so.............. guess Motti is credited for constructing the DS out of the plans we saw the Genosians had of it in AOTC

mephistodesigns
I don't reallly think the Geonosians designed it, I think they're just contractors, so to speak

finti
hm as I seem to recall these where the words of top notch of the Genosians, Poggle

"The Jedi must not find our designs for the ultimate weapon. If they have any idea of what we are planning to create, we are doomed."

KOkid
Yeah, he did say that; Maybe Sidious tricked him into building it for the Empire, or just took it....

mephistodesigns
he said planning to build didn't he? not create. "Our designs" doesn't mean they actually designed it, its simply a sentence showing posession. Not to mention Dooku took them so now who knows where they'll end up. But I must say, the Death Star looks a lot like the center pod of the Trade Federation battle ships (like when Kenobi flies past them at night).

Smith
The Geonosians designed it (obviously) and they may have even built it, contracted by the Empire of course, at least GL said it could have happened that way on the AOTC dvd commentary...

Oh BTW, in Hyperspace Pablo Higaldo said "Not that many scenes involve the Death Star." He all but confirmed it's apperance.

Spoiler reports say that it'll appear in the beginning stages of construction at the end of the film, as Vader, Sidious, and Tarkin watch over it on a Star Destroyer Bridge.

And yes, of course those Tarkin pics were real, no one would waste the time to do that kinda of a make-up job for no reason, why do you think LFL had the one pic (the one that looked more like Cushing) removed from several sites?

mephistodesigns
how did they "obviously" design it? Did you SEE them design it? no. So we don't know.

yerssot
well, it's not a clear matter, imho, like mephisto says wink

finti
because Poogle said their design of the ultimate weapon

mephistodesigns
he said what "we're planning to build". Not "we designed and are now building".

finti
nobody never said they built it , we were talking about who designed it. But as you said Poggle did say planning to build so if they plan to build it they must have a design to work after too. Dooku cleverly took those design away from Poggle, so now they are in the hands of the Palpatine.

So I think the empire built the DS out of a Genosian design. And I dont think we will see too much about DS in EP III at all. We saw the plans for it in AOTC so there we have one of the links between OT and PT

mephistodesigns
that would make sense. its along the lines of the EU explanation, which by accident or not is cool for me since I think the EU explanation rocks. I would like an explanation of whether or not Tarkin actually claims design "rights" or whatever. We do know that Palpatine likes to allow secret plans to fall into whoever's hands he wants (see ROTJ) and allows them to think its there own idea. Good explanation finit.

finti
In ANH the officer named Motti is the one credited for constructing DS.
Darth Vader adresses him with
"Dont be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force ".

Rogue Jedi
he could mean the universal we finti.

mephistodesigns
Consctructed, not designed. An imperial officer was overseeing construction in ROTJ too.

yerssot
JerJerrod
(just wanted to show that I know some names stick out tongue)

finti
huh?

finti
mephistodesigns
that was gonna be my next post about the matter, all I am trying to do though is tie up some links of what we know about the OT and PT. Death Star is one of the things that tie the trilogies together so peopel have different view on it all and it is great to hear and debate for or against a view.
All in a good manner though, so I feel we have a good dialoge here about DS, its desig, origin, construction and so on.
Please come on share your thoughts

mephistodesigns
in the OT thread I gave a very detailed account on how the EU description might be at least somewhat based on an idea of Lucas' for the meer fact that it has appeared so often and the continuity of the idea has been closely monitored by Lucasfilm. As well as the fact that it appeared in the novel Rogue Planet that was written after Lucasbooks was more closely and personally supervised by lucas, including all plot points that may impact the prequels.

mephistodesigns
I see they have closed that thread because I was accused of starting an EU/Film debate. Which I wasn't, I was trying to give the guy an informed answer that combined the two continuties to show how it could be tied into the film, should Lucas be interested in the idea. So I don't get the same flack here for mentioning Lucas' involvement in the novels I'll include a little disclaimer---when I say that Lucas is supposed to ok the novels/comics, I assume its known he doesn't read them (although he apparently at lease flips through them since Aayla Secura was picked from her comics appearance) so I don't include that statement. The involvement Lucas does have though, and this is from the Star Wars Insider Magazine for anybody about to blast me, is that all PLOTS (that means summary, not actual text from the finished product) must be okayed by him, giving him the chance to change anything he doesn't like. As was pointed out in the closed thread, he vetoed the death of Ackbar. So when I say they may integrate the origins for the Death Star and Tarkin's involvement, I'm sayin that IF he okayed the novel Rogue Planet, he hopefully gave them a little insight into the Death Star so that it could be included and serve as hype for its appearance in AOTC. Whether or not its BASED on his own idea of the Death Star will be proven or disproven in episode III. Beyond that, we all can believe it was created by the flying monkey's from Wizard Of OZ for all I care. Everybody just needs to lighten the F up. We all know the two continuities exist, if it makes it into III, it will be canon. Period. because it will be said on film. This is my hope for III, and I don't want anymore crap about this.

finti
No it was closed cause you actually answered they dudes question and the thread kind of was at an end

mephistodesigns
that's true. but i'm still mad i was blasted for starting a debate where i was actually trying to make a comprimise of the two ideas.

yerssot
that's the point, you CAN*T comprimise the two!
one is canon the other isn't that's it, nothing more

now, back to Grand Moff Tarkin please

mephistodesigns
jeezus yes you can. If something correlates to the movies then its simply an extension of the idea, the logical furthering or a character or plot, then its is a comprimise of the two continuities. If the EU is not relevant than why read it? You can make up your own endings for everyone. Lucas does tell the writers (of the prequel era novels) to include certain things as build up or inside jokes for things he will include in the movies. This was in Insider articles and some of the writer interviews they do. So some of the EU is a result of Lucas' ideas. That doesn't make it canon, but it does show that in some places it is a direct extession of a Lucas idea. I know they are two separate continuities, but in some places they overlap, and sometimes those overlaps are Lucas' idea, Tarkin would be a good use of this idea. So yes you can comprimise it because we've seen it happen.

Dirty Vader
Episode III will answer the question. Is EU forfeit. Its only a matter of
time.

finti
I dont

Dirty Vader
Well you're definetly missing something.

yerssot
er... not really

Dirty Vader
What do you mean "not realy"? Why do you think, most people have been fans of star wars all these years? Because the EU was there to entertain them and tell numerous stories about what happened after
Return of the Jedi, and background stories about all the caracters we see in the films.
EU is a source of information and a sequel to the films,
how is that not worth reading? It is a huge part of the star wars saga
and should be well welcomed by all star wars fans, fans that love the universe of star wars and want to know more and more about it.
That's what EU is for.

finti
what a load of crap, I was a SW fan long before EU was thought off, I have read EU books but I gave up right before the trilogy containing Shield Of Lies, Eu is a turn off for me. I didnt start reading them until after TPM because I had a hunch they might ruin my interest in the SW saga. And that hunch was spot on. So I sure as hell aint missing a thing. To be honost I found all of the books very weak and extremly uninteresting, I was antio EU before the reading the books and I am an even more anti EU now.

I differ between the REAL STAR WARS which is the films.

And the fake Star Wars which is the books.

I wish GL left it with the OT, cause the PT aint SW worthy either.

yerssot
yeah, it's a riddle from time to time why people who read the books can STAY fans!

untill the NJO came, the books were just pathetic with all these superweapons, cloned emperors and luke for some reason couldn't use the force orso, all the same, all weak
(though some were good: Zahn's trilogy and such)

mephistodesigns
definetly. Until NJO I'd only read a few of them. Until Episode II the Darkhorse comics pretty much sucked. Now they are really well done.

Dirty Vader
First of all, for most people, the prequels are the turn-off for fans, and ruin their interest for star wars, not the EU.

Secondly, the EU was created nearly as soon as the original star wars ANH came out. So your claim about being a fan long before EU was created is invalid.

Thirdly, what I've said before isnt a whole load of crap because you dont represent every single star wars fan. I said most people not everybody. I'm not speculating that the EU was the only reason
people have been hard core fans all these years, I'm just saying that
it has entertained them and made them impatient for the next set of films (PT). Without EU, people might not have been hard core fans as they are today.

Finaly, you cannot deny that EU is a sequel and that it has created
background for nearly every caracter in both star wars trilogies.
There is no fake star wars, everything licenced is real star wars,
whether we like it or not.

I'm sorry, you didnt like the EU, there are parts that I wish I never read
iswell, but nevertheless there are part of star wars. You're disappointment with star wars is EU, mine for the time being are the prequels. We all have our likes and dislikes.

wink

finti
get your facts right Star Wars premierd before Splinter of the minds eye came along. I saw the premiere of ANH in 1977 nothing EU then not even the toys, they came along a bit latert but even so it was only the ANH.
First time I saw a copy of Splinter was right after I saw ESB. So that I was a fan of SW before Eu came and the fact I ever heard of EU stuff is indeed very valid

SO? dont give a rats ass about their backgrounds at all.
The info I am provided through the films is enough.
And to me EU has nothing to do with the SW GL created so yes I can deny it is a sequel

I agree the prequels aint worhty of Star Wars, but most of my friends are Star Wars fans , I am the only one that have even considered the EU stuff at all.

finti
Now lets get back to speculations about Tarkin making apperances in EP III.

yerssot
I was just about to say that finti smile

well, last I heard it will be a cameo, nothing big

finti
Should have a wider part, but that is just my thoughts on it

mephistodesigns
he should at least be shown during the opening, commanding the fleet.

Dirty Vader
Originally posted by finti
get your facts right Star Wars premierd before Splinter of the minds eye came along. I saw the premiere of ANH in 1977 nothing EU then not even the toys, they came along a bit latert but even so it was only the ANH.

Splinter of the mind'seye came out in 1978, The Han Solo trilogy
by Del rey books was released in 1979. ESB came out in 1983.
You might want to get YOUR facts right.

originally posted by finti SO?
dont give a rats ass about their backgrounds at all.
The info I am provided through the films is enough.
And to me EU has nothing to do with the SW GL created so yes I can deny it is a sequel.

The info isnt enough for most of us. And it sounds to me that you're a star wars MOVIE fan. EU IS a sequel, its star wars licensed even though
Lucas hasnt written it.

Dirty Vader
I hope Tarkin will appear so that what has been written by EU about the death star fits in with the prequel story line.

yerssot
don't count on it

finti
ANH came out in 1977 8DUH), and I said I didnt see a copy of Splinter before after I saw ESB, I know Splinter came out in 1978 but it wasnt translated into Norwegian before 1980. What I said about being a fan before any EU thing came along still holds ground. So I had my facts right if you cared to read what I wrote (get your facts right Star Wars premierd before Splinter of the minds eye came along. I saw the premiere of ANH in 1977 nothing EU then not even the toys, they came along a bit latert but even so it was only the ANH )

I am a Star Wars fan, EU came along later on and I dont regard it as Star Wars at all. So for me the ONLY STAR WARS IS THE MOVIES. EU is just another franchise thing just like the way I look at Coke vs Pepsi. Coke is the real Cola Pepsi is just a cheap copy

mephistodesigns
sorry buddy, pepsi is way better than coke.

You said "for you the ONLY STAR WARS IS THE MOVIES". Exactly, FOR YOU. So don't go giving him crap for saying EU is essentially a sequel, which Lucas HAS said is the reason he won't do 7-9, because the books have fleshed it out way more than he ever would have. He respects the Star Wars Universe fans enough to do that and I think thats very cool of him to do. Now, the Star Wars MOVIE fans will just have to deal with that fact that some of us UNIVERSE fans think the EU has some merit here and there and we think it would be cool for some stuff to fit into the movie as a nod to the creators in the EU. Were not asking you to like EU. We're not asking for the PT to be full of EU info, just a little mention would be cool, and inside joke for the people who pay Lucas' rent, car payments, fund his movies, and put his kids through private school.

mephistodesigns
BAM! Happy Dance

I got yo back Dirty!

finti
the movies pays his rent and they have done so for 25 years. Geroge was fortuante enough to own his own creation, so if you want to use it you have to pay for it , thats just the way of business

still is a copy and will never be anything but the copy.
So if some writers continued on the Lord of the rings would you take it as a sequel?

I am so glad he doesnt the PT are bad enough as they are allready

mephistodesigns
i don't understand you're first comment up there, it doesn't make any sense with what you quoted from me.
Pepsi isn't really relevant, that was just supposed to be funny.
And as for LOTR, if Chris Tolkein wrote some more stuff, based on his father's notes then yes. Just like the EU is based on ideas Lucas has come up with and then the EU expands on it. If he completely disagreed with it, he'd never license it. He doesn't agree with it either. He allows it to exist. Lucas has lots of ideas, technological breakdowns, races, and other things he can't work into the movies without it turning into a two hour encyclopedia. Those extra ideas are usually integrated into the EU stories. So the EU is actually a hybrid of the writer's ideas AND Lucas'. Lucas explained to an effects guy how the Gungun's power their city, mine those blue things they shot at battle droids and pretty much explained their whole culture. So you see, Lucas creates a LOT of what gets integrated into EU. He doesn't write the plot lines, but most of the back ground does come from him. And for your information, some EU stuff HAS made it into the PT so apparently you need to read up a little more before you want to argue with a hardcore Universe fan who knows what he's talking about because he reads every Lucas interview printed and actually researches things before shooting his mouth off.

finti
Lycas always had an explanation to his technology in Star Wars but as long as the story aint done by the writer himself it shouldnt be included in the saga. To be honost I think, at least the ones I read, the EU books are really really weak storys
well I missread your quote, I saw that afterward, I thought you ment EU pay GLs rent and so on but I didnt edit it, my mistake...........the first one in my life wink wink wink

mephistodesigns
i agree that the EU stories, for the most part, pre NJO, were very weak. Its why I didin't read all of them (many, but I didn't lose sleep over missing a book here and there). But, I'm pointing out that they are, in a wierd way, half canon. They DO contain things that Lucas simply hasn't had the screen time to include. So some parts of them are from his brain (the good parts). And sometimes he does have plot lines he wants done to introduce a character or idea like the Foster book that takes place up until the begining of Clones. Thats why I get upset with the straight up dismisal of EU. Lots of Lucas' ideas are present. Its usually been (and a lot more lately with the prequel era books) the purpose of EU to fill in gaps and enhance the films and give hardcore fans a deeper understanding of the galaxy, even if the actual play by play isn't directly from Lucas' hand.

DeVi| D0do
Tarkin is only in one scene.

I wanted more...

meh.

At least we didn't get a close up of his face. It looked horrible in that BTH pic...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.