EPII title is out!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

yerssot
The new EPII title is 'Attack of the clones'
I find it, I don't know why, the worst title ever. It doesn't have the same, how do you call it?, depth? as the other titles

jedi212guy
Where did you find it? It sounds pretty lame! mad

jedi212guy
Oh God! It is the title. Just go to www.starwars.com. SW is doomed!

Ushgarak
Bit 60's isn;t it?

Attack of the Clones! In colour!

King Jedi
I realy like it! At first I hated it but the more you think about it the better it gets. It's like an old sci-fi title "Attack of the Martians" "Attack of the 50ft Woman" "Attack of the Spacemen". It also fits in with the other titles nicely.

King Jedi
The more I think about it the more I love it! It's George Lucas saying to hell with all the fanboys who are already saying things like "I won't be going to see it. It's soooo cheesy". It's a classic title and is completley different to all the other "super cool" titles that are around today like " Matrix reloaded" and "Batman Beyond". It's Star Wars and it's brilliant.

Ushgarak
Certainly back to the Flash Gordon routes, huh? Ah, it'll grow on people, like most of these titles do. I mean 'Star Wars' is a crap title, but after nearly 25 years of use it sounds nothing like it must have done when you first heard it, if you know what I mean.

By the way, do you think the yellow scrolling text on the link is the actual upcoming scrolling text? It' nothing like the one 'leaked' last year... but it could be a falsie.

BTW, the only prediction I was willing to make about the new title is that it wouldn;t re-use any workd from before (except for ones like 'the) of course. Woo-hoo! Let;s see if all six films use distinctive words (so no Revenge, Strikes, Jedi, Empire...).

And how many people will kill the staff of SW.com if this is a fake?

King Jedi
I agree. But what is a good title? For me it's something that gets you excited when you hear it and something that compliments the film and what it's trying to be and that's why I think it's great. big grin

MrFlame
For some really weird reason i think it is a fake. Did you see the corner of the picture with Anakin and Padme kissing? Well it had the title change from Episode II to Epi the clones. It looked kinda fake in the Episode II section at the Official site...http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/img/right_bg_movie_title.gif

yerssot
I think that this title is too much revealing, you now know that there will be clones and that there will be a huge fight, voila; that's already 70-80% of the movie said!
There is no depth!
Well it is on the news-section of starwars.com so I think it is the real title

jedi212guy
I can handle it as long as Epi. III isn't titled "thisa bombad situashun."

Texas
Attack of the clones?, That's so cheesy! (slashes right wrist.....dies)

Ushgarak
I guess this means Raz left the censor system off...

yerssot
I even prefered 'When the Clones come marching in' than 'The attack of the Clones'

Ushgarak
I don't think it's too bad. Though I can't help thinking he may as well have called it 'The Clone Wars'.

JediOasis
I could care less if the movie was titled "Star Wars Episode II:An attempt to make George EVEN richer." I'm still going to see it opening day, I'm still going to love it, and its still going to be a classic movie. Bravo to GL for picking something nobody thought of.

Ushgarak
This is getting an entertainingly split reaction!

jedi212guy
GL sure does know how to mess with the minds of his fanbase, doesn't he? Not that he cares, anyway. I like the title, but my roommate from college said he doesn't acknowledge the PT after TPM. I hope we don't lose more supporters after AOTC.

Dim
Actually I think it's great! It definately has that Saturday Morning Serial feeling that Lucas seems to love.

finti
I think it is a poor title, and GL went away from the positive -negative title trend he had for the first 4 movies. I`m really not conviced it is the real thing.

mah
everyone's gonna like it after a while, as always. GL knows that he can call it whatever, cause when you get used to it it will sound fine.

Gundark
You will be interested to know (unless some of you watch CNN at 5am) that those idiots had it labeled "episode V" instead of "episode II". No fans in the newsroom, for sure.

Well my first reaction was, "you've got to be kidding", but now its kind of grown on me. Definately a return to George's homage to the old serials....actually its pretty cool in a retro, grade B kind of way. The more I roll it over, the more I like it.

darth fester
it sounds like some kind of hemaroid problem

"oh my god ive had and attack of the clones"

yerssot
I've you get it in your head, after a will you think: well that is a good EpII title; still it is not the best in the world

finti
I dont think I ever gonna go good for the title. I agree with some of the earlier post about 50`s SciFi. "Attack of the Amazone women from Mars" NAH This has to be a joke.

Mad Johnny Leat
Well, I for one am really happy with the name. I think I would have chosen that name myself. Well done George!!

By the way, I have a few suggestions for Episode III too:

Star Wars : Episode III Fluffy goes to Hospital

Or...

Star Wars : Episode III Mr Chimpy has a birthday

WHAT THE F... IS LUCAS ON?? Sure, I'll still go see the movie, but the title Sucks! I laughed when I heard it, I thought some three year old had made a fan film or something. And George doesn't care what people are saying? I think he should care, it's not that TPM was a great film was it! AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHH!
I'm Angry!

jedi212guy
Well, I guess we now know that AOTC won't make it to the 400 million mark. I think a good Ep. III title would be "Heirs to Destiny."

Mad Johnny Leat
No, no.....you see, the title has to be cheesey, "Heirs to Destiny" couldn't be understood by the 5 year old target audience. I think that's what GL is doing. He's decided to go for the Toy buying market!

So : EPIII The Ewoks have a party....

darth fester
episode 3 will be "birth of the empire "
or something along those lines

Mad Johnny Leat
Or......

"Palpatine comes out to play"

(Sorry to be so cynical, but it is turning into a kiddie marketed film)

mah
you know, the title doesn't have anything to do with the film being good or not, if GL officially said he would change the old films' name into something odd, would you start to dislike it?

King Jedi
This was posted on TFN and pretty much says everything I want to say about it -

Polls are being conducted (most of them going negative) and fans are getting themselves into a tizzy over the recent announcement that the next installment of the prequel trilogy will be entitled Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones. Learning of a new Star Wars title is like opening a fine bottle of wine. You have to let it breathe. So let's take a deep breath and consider this like the reasonable obsessed fanatical Star Wars fans we are. Let me ask you a question: what did you expect? Expectation is everything. Since The Phantom Menace faded from the theaters and our interest turned toward Episode II, speculation has been rampant. All sorts of predictions about the content of the next prequel were made. Suggested titles were offered. Most of these titles had to do with the Clone Wars or with foreboding thoughts about Anakin's inevitable fall to the Dark Side. Many also referenced the rise of the Empire that Episode II was sure to feature. Names like the Rise of the Empire, The Clone Wars, The Darkness Within, and others were passed around with seemingly every fan getting his two cents in. However, one need only look at the past names chosen by Lucas to see that such titles were folly. A New Hope? I bet no one would have seen that coming. When Lucas dropped "The Phantom Menace" bomb everyone was a little dazed and confused. Wasn't it going to be called "Balance of the Force" or something like that? What the heck is a Phantom Menace? So, first of all, get past your own expectations. It's not your movie. You don't get to name it. Have an open mind.
Also let me extend my congratulations to the flanneled one. About a million fans have been giving Lucas title suggestions for the last three years. It seems to me that such an atmosphere would preclude any original thought, but Lucas has not backed down from the critics, the naysayers, or the Jar Jar haters. He's been "keeping it real" Star Wars style (more on this later). He went back to his favorite resource for titles, those old sci-fi serials a la Flash Gordon, and came up with the seemingly unoriginal title: Attack of the Clones. Unoriginal except for the fact that no one else thought of it. No one.

Why is this? Was it too cheesy to consider? Cheesier than say, The Empire Strikes Back? What's the difference? Are the words "The Empire Strikes Back" somehow cooler than "Attack of the Clones"? I suspect the "coolness" of the title is merely a function of how awesome the movie is. TESB is widely regarded as the best of the original trilogy (though it ranks third in box office). It's great not because it has the word Empire (a cool word to be sure) in combination with the words "Strikes" and "Back" (two words that are neutral at best). Empire is great because it is the wonderful second act to one of the greatest stories ever told. Empire is great because it introduces us to the Force, both light side and dark side, Yoda, Han & Leia as a couple, and one of the greatest surprises ever: "I am your father." In short, it's great because it's a great movie. It's name is now synonymous with its greatness, and you can't imagine it being called anything else (for example, "Lando's Revenge" or something really cheesy). Likewise, I will imagine next May most of these naysayers will come out of the theaters thrilled and excited never second guessing the name they are so distraught over now.

Still troubled? Try this thought experiment. Imagine that you are ten years old. You have been thirsting for new Star Wars figures ever since the last of the Episode I line came out (yes, you actually take your Star Wars figures out of the package and play with them). You've got a few Darth Mauls that were severed at the waist way before the "battle damaged" figure came out so you could have that realistic show down with Obi-Wan. You live in this surreal world where Summer lasts forever and it feels like decades pass in between Star Wars movies. You thought Jar Jar was funny (I will lose some of you here). Now consider the title of the next movie: Attack of the Clones. Whoa! What's going on there? Clones? Are they Stormtroopers? Is Boba Fett a clone? Awesome! I can't wait!

My point is that when you were a kid there was no "EEWW, that sounds too much like the Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman" or "that's not the title of a serious film." If that's your reaction, you don't get Star Wars. You may have enjoyed the movies in the past, but you don't get it. The original slogan for Star Wars was "Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, and now Luke Skywalker: Star Wars - It'll make you feel like a kid again." Think about that. Star Wars was not derived from the same scifi primordial ooze that movies like Bladerunner or Alien came from. Its roots go back to those swashbuckling space pirate stories that enthrall children and the child inside each one of us. Indeed, it's not really science fiction at all. It has more in common with Arthurian legends than any classic sci-fi. It's a myth. It's a space opera. It's a saga. "Attack of the Clones" fits right in with that simple mythic vision of a long time ago in a galaxy far far away where heroes wear white and bad guys wear black. If you truly understand Star Wars, you will also understand that there is profound truth to this simple "unoriginal" tale and that what makes it so darn great.

I for one love the name; but then again, I also love Jar Jar.

I agree with everything written above.

King Jedi
Another thing - Whoever said that Star Wars will loose fans because of this, I kind of agree with. But I'm glad because the people who are saying they won't go and see the movie because of the title aren't real fans. They're fan boys who think SW is about Boba Fett or something.

TPM sorted out the real fans from the hangers on and so will this movie. I'm also delighted that the press seem to be against it. What other film can create this much contreversy over a title? The press have always hated Star Wars and so have the film critics who can't see past "Citiven Caine". The more George Lucas pisses them off the better. big grin

Ushgarak
Well, look, I don't mind the title, but over-justifying it isn't going to help.

It doesn't matter how much of a hark back to the roots of the mythology it is (which was my first reaction, if you look back...). An out of date title is an out of date title. If it doesn't ring true with the potential audience, it was a bad choice. You can justify it artistically but it still wouldn;t have been the most intelligent thing to do.

I'm not saying this is necessarily so, but if it does turn out to be harmful justifying it on the basis that it fits the feel is not a good argument, the title is the part of the image of a film.

Besides, while the influences are very clear, the Star Wars films ARE a modern phenomenon. They are a modern take on old mythology like Flash Gordon and so on. The differences between the two are immense even if the core values are identical. 'Attack of the Clones' would have been a good FLash Gordon title. It MAY be a good Star Wars title, but it doesn't AUTOMATICALLY become one just because it harkens back so.

And no disprespect to that TFN poster, but he has made two large mistakes- 1. saying SW isn't really sci-fi (is his vision so narrow?) and b. saying that a ten year old kid will have a less cynical and more positive approach to the title than us jaded adults.

Well, I can tell you from real world experience- no! If anything, they are worse because they will not accept the justifications we have made. Even the ones who found Jar-Jar funny. They are a product of the modern world as well, you see.

So we will see how this goes, but I will have as little patience for those who blindly defend the title with pseudo-justifcation as I have for thiose who attack it blindly as well.

Texas
We'll I quess you'll have little patience for me, because I'm off to attack the title blindly evil face

Ushgarak
And I;m sure you'll make a good job of it!

Texas
Why thank you Ush, your in a very complimentary mood today smile

queeq
Hello folks,

My time machine just brought me back from the middle and late bronze age. And what do I find? A new SW title? Well, kind of .... interesting....

My main worry is how we are going to abbreviate this. AOTC? ATC? AOC? All a bit odd.

And yes, it does sound fifties like. But let's face it: ESB and ROTJ are titles like that. We didn't have an Attack title yet, and it's always better than ANH.

THe first thing that cam to my mind though was lots of marches in the soundtrack..... Maybe Ush can play along. evil face

Ushgarak
Well, maybe I CAN...

AOTC sounds ok to me; it has the same rhythm as ROTJ.

robbery
king jedi is right!!!!, to paraphrase

I love the title!!! superbly cheesey and come on people is it any more or less cheesey than the name star wars??? or for that matter the Empire strikes back??? people moaned about the phantom menace as a name but that soon stopped, the same will happen here. there is just a stupid reaction from people who loved star wars as a child and have grown up forgetting what this series of film is and to just sit back and enjoy it!!!.

queeq
Yes, we'll get used to it.

I do see clones with rockets attached to their backs for some reason... big grin

Ushgarak
So lpong as we don;t have to see it in weekly installments.

King Jedi
Ush I never understood what you meant in your post (nine up).

If someone says they like the title then surley they have to say why? Just like someone who hates it has to give reasons.

phinney6
I agree with KJ about the title being cool

queeq
Can one discuss taste, KJ? Some say you can, some say you can't. If you don;t like it, it's because it doesn't appeal to you.

But hey, if AOTC turns out great it'll be the title of a great SW film, just like the totally unimaginative ESB entails the greatest SW film we have so far.

And don't call me Shirley. big grin

Ushgarak
Well, yes, KJ,. My point is that some people use spurious reason to defend something blindly. And that TFN poster's defence simply did not wash. Well, not all of it.

jedi212guy
I like the title, but so what? If people don't like the title, they will call it Ep. II, just like TPM is called Episode I and ANH is called Star Wars. What's the big deal? Please fill me in. smile

Texas
The title stinks, it stinks, it reeks!!

Ushgarak
Titles are important. They wouldn't have them otherwise. There is a certain resonance with them. People have always liked a title as something more than just a means of identification.

jedi212guy
I can see that. I just am glad that by choosing this title GL is showing that he is making these movies for himself.

Ushgarak
That's always a good point to make. Mind you, you can take it TOO far, so that's not necessarily an automatic excuse.

jedi212guy
I shall never repeat that reason on this site ever again. rolling on floor laughing

mah
titles doesn't mean nothing. maybe for people who care about how the poster, or the action figures look like, but thats it. you'll see it for about 5 seconds on the film, after that you won't think about it throughout the movie. and that's what's important, right?
not what you think about before you see it, but while you see it?

Ushgarak
I think you will find titles are more important thn you give them credit for; they form part of the charatcer of a film. Like I say, they wouldn;t use them otherwise.

jedi212guy
AOTC will be better than TPM, as good as ANH, and will be recognizable throughout the world for the next 10,000 years, I hope. smile

mah
what do you mean, "or else they wouldn't use them" they use them so that people know which movie they're going to, or else people who wanted to see f.ex Mary Poppins ends up in shock at "requiem for a dream"!

King Jedi
laughing out loud Just had weird visions of that.

Ushgarak
As I just said (please read all in future), people like titles and attach more impoirtance to them than just the identity of the movie (or book, or whatever). The titkes are researched and marketed with this in mind.

Texas
True. but do you actually think that anyone over there at LF is going to tell lucas that his new movie title sucks? Oh please, there all yes men, they are too afraid to tell Lucas the truth!

Ushgarak
Apparently some poeple at Lucasfilm have done just that. as RC said at the start of the thread.

jedi212guy
Why don't you just go over and see GL, point a gun at his head, and say, "Is your title worth dying for?"

His response would be, "Yikes! Attack of the 50-foot Texan!" laughing out loud

Texas
Oh my goodness! I would never threaten old George! I just think that he's getting old and senile, that is the only explination I can think of for coming up with a title like Attack of the Clones!

phinney6
he is not old, it shouldn't matter the title only the movie

jedi212guy
Oh, well. Get ready for Epi. III, "Anaking goes to the dark side and palpatine becomes emperor and Luke and Leia are born and lots of jedi die." Oh baby, what a title!

Ushgarak
In Colour!

jedi212guy
That sure is an unusual way to spell "color," but hey, your country did create the language after all, so spell it however you want to. smile

Ushgarak
We will!

jedi212guy
Just hope we don't have to save your butts in any moe WW. rolling on floor laughing

Ushgarak
Well, we WERE rather hoping you would actually turn up on time for the next one... you seem to be trying to start it this time, to make sure..

I think that joke is 20 years old, actually... it used to be used about Reagan...

Texas
I'm staying out of this one........

sand person no. 10
does a title really matter, if you read a book and the chapters are named, do you think "oh, better be careful of this chapter because it doesn't sound as cool as the last one where the hero got laid and robbed the bank, so because its got an uncool title it must be crap." The titles of star wars films are also a clear indication of what will happen in the film and thos one fits into the patern set by the first trilogy, the first title was a passive title with no real action involved in the title, the second title though is full of action potential, (attack - strike), therefore irtcan be assumed that this film will be of the same ilk that the esb was.

i've no doubt in my mind that this film will be one of the best i'll ever see and i can't believe all of this pointless discussion about rating a film because of its title when you haven't even seen it. The starwars series is comparative to a book, part of the reason why i think tpm was like it was and why this film has been given the title.

I've no doubt all starwars fans have had an idea of what this film will be about and what the title will be and just because the title falls short of your expectations "this pointless debate" ensues.

Ushgarak
I think you have seriously misjudged what has been said.

No-one, no-one at ALL, has been judging the quality of the upcoming film based on this title. People have just been debating the quality of the title.

But as I pointed out earlier, while it is easy to say that the title isn;t important, that;s not really so. People attach importance to these things naturally, treating it as far more than just an identifier. Always have done; that is why so much effort goes into them. It is actually the same with books, I assure you.

Titlrs become associated with the charcter of a film. Small amounts of words can be powerful in the right place.

So don't dismiss the significance of the title so easily... it's not VITAL, of course, not by a long shot, but it's certainly important enough to merit discussion.

sand person no. 10
firstly, was there not some reply which said that people who weren't devoted sw fans would not go to watch the film because of the title. secondly, the impression that i got from all of the replies on this topic is that people are making assumptions about thef ilm, it is hard not to make assumptions about the film when the title is known. i.e. this film is going to be targeted towards kids, we now know what the film will be about because of the title, and the title is too cheesey, define cheesy.

Ushgarak
The first thing you mention was a poll option, and it has not been chosen once, so no fears there, I guess.

Obviously, some title-based assumption will be made. but I think no-one will be judging THAT much by it (though it seems some are thinking less of things because of it...)

Texas
Cheesy=Attack of the Clones

sand person no. 10
and there's me thinking that cheesy was defined as giving anakin no father and beig immacuatley conceived. how wrong i was.

Texas
That's not cheesy, that's drama! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Dim
On something said a little ways back - I think we need to give the people at Lucasfilm a little more credit than to call them yes men without knowing what goes on in the day-to-day work. If you start saying that and passing judgments before you see the film you're being unfair to them and cheating yourself.

Texas
Just because I dont like the title, doesn't mean I think less of the movie in general. Attack of the Clones does not represent a $150,000,000 movie in my mind, more of a $20,000 B movie. I hate the title, but I'm sure the movie will rock smile

Mad Johnny Leat
I agree with all those that say that the title isn't going to spoil the film, of course it won't. We'll all go and see it on the release date regardless.

However, there is something about the name that GL has chosen....otherwise there wouldn't be such a debate going on here and elsewhere....

If anyone hasn't read any of my other posts.....I hate the title, alot.

Still, like everyone else here, I can't wait to see the film.....What was it called? Attack of the Triffids? or something?

darth fester
ok so i admit i was shocked when i heard the title and yes it does sound like something you get when you need to rush to the toilet .

but come on people lets be honest no matter what gl called the film we would all have the stink about it we all had our own ideas what it would be called and gls pulled a fast one and knocked us all of guard

im sure well all get used to it like tpm and even end up liking it

so come on people dont get an attack of the clones chill out and wait until next may until you pass your judgement after you see the film

may the force be with you

DJ Velocity
I recall posting something a while ago saying that clones will have a BIG part in this movie. A few people climbed down my throat saying that people are looking too deep into these clones.

Maybe this is what Lucas wants. No one was expecting to see clones in the title as they would only be brief in the moveie.

Dim, you agreed with me so you are OK.

The title. Its growing on me. I told my friend last night and he said something like "George can suck my arse". I think he was dissapointed.

queeq
*starts singing: Oh when the Clones.... Oh when the Clones.... Oh when the Clones come marching in..."

And here's the Teaser Poster, check it out. In style AND in colour: http://www.theforce.net/episode2/newspics/aotc_classic_poster_big.jpg

Mad Johnny Leat
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well, I'm going to try and mellow out about this one......If you like the title, good for you......if you hate it (like me), we can always just refer to it as Episode II and have done with it.

After all, it IS just a title......A crap one, but it's still just a title..

Doh! I did it again! Mellow...mellow.......

queeq
You'll get used to it. And again, If Ep2 turns out a lot better than EpI, then I do think we won't bother much about this title. Nothing more than chapter reference.

Mad Johnny Leat
You are, of course, right.....Now I'm over the initial shock, and that I have the counselling from this forum......I still hate it, but I'll live with it.....

I reckon the movie will be better than Ep1.....Mainly because GL has had some help with the script....

What do you think, queeq?

Mad Johnny Leather.......

darthyogi
eek!

Hmm... definitely disappointed. But then I still don't like Phantom Manace - the 'm' sound between the two words still makes it clumsy.

But then, Revenge of the Jedi had its title changed at the last minute, with show reels and trailers reaching cinemas before being recalled and changed for Return of the Jedi.

I think this is a red herring - was Phantom Menace announced as the name of Ep I this far from release? Lucas may be just fanning flames?

But then, what's in a name. Bring it on Clonies, I can't wait!!!!

smile

robbery
As a big fan of the title I would like an answer to the following question from those who dont like it(fools!!!) and a good answer please not that it sounds like a B movie cos both of the following do too.

Is the title worse than the name - Star Wars????

Is the title worse than the name - The Empire Strikes Back??

You need to remember that star wars is made for children, try looking at the title from the eyes of a 7 year old, sounds bloody brilliant!!!!

queeq
Hi Robbery, welcome aboard.

Please tone down a tad on the language there. Just because someone has a different opinion doesn't make him a fool.

I myself don't mind the title much. Not what I expected, what I do know from the story of Ep2 I do expect it to be a lot better than Ep1, whose title I actually did like, unlike the movie itself.

And Robs, no it's not worse. In fact I think AOTC is just along the line of the cheesy titles you just mentioned.

King Jedi
Robbery the title sounds pretty good to a 21 year old as well! smile

robbery
and to a 29 year old!!!!

robbery
I am sorry i didnt realise fool was bad language lol, but i do challenge anyone who thinks this title is poor to proove they are not being foolish by answering my questionsmile

Ushgarak
It does NOT sound better to kids! Sorry to those of you that have a rose-tinted view of youth, buit all the kids around ehre hate it more than the adults... and thwy won;t listen to an argument in its defence, either.

queeq
Sorry robs, but language has been a bit strong lately. And since this is only the beginning I prefer tp hold the reigns slightly tight. But go ahead and challenge.

robbery
well ushgarak will you answer my question??? why is this name worse than star wars or the empire strikes back??? they sound like b movies too. You dont mind these name because your used to them, same will happen here.

Ushgarak
What the heck are you getting a ME for, Robbery? If you did me the courtesy of reading my posts you will see that I raised that exact same point long before you did. I am NOT hostile to the new title.

robbery
lol i am sorry, please accept my apologies. I thought you were saying it was a bad title.

sorry

Ushgarak
No problem. I think your beef is with Texas.

King Jedi
No, Ushgarak is saying that you can love the title or you can hate the title but whatever reasons you have, they are very,very wrong.

Ush how can you say that kids don't like the title? I was talking to three kids on an ezboard forum yesterday and they love it! One of them already had it in her sig.

You only have to look at the "cheesy" names of the biggest kids cartoons over the past few years to see that they don't care about something being "cheesy" or "retro".

Thundercats, He-Man, Power Rangers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Butt Ugly Matrtians. Kids don't care. They don't take it as seriously as us. Are you honestly trying to say that you've heard a kid say that he "hates" the title? Kids see the word "attack" and "clones" in the same sentence and not one will turn round and say "That sounds terrible!".

Ushgarak
I am saying NO such thing. KJ. Just some of the reasons posted in either direction have been nonsense, is all.

Yes, I know several kids who think the title is crap. I know several who think it is cool. As far as I have observed, there is absolutely no difference between adult and kid opinions whatsoever. Some love it, some hate it. Which was somewhat my point.

robbery
how old are thses kids and do they think the name star wars is bad?

King Jedi
I agree with you but you said "all the kids round here hate it more than adults". From what I've seen, it's split right down the middle(whatever age you are).

Since TPM I think Star Wars Fans have been split into two groups.
The people who hate TPM,Jar Jar, Jake Lloyd and were expecting something else (I don't know what) from TPM. They would hate the title know matter what it was.

And the people who liked and enjoyed TPM for what it was.

It just annoys me that the press and some people seem to think that everyone belongs to that first group. It's even 50-50.

robbery
all too true, it does seem as if the press seem to think anything to do with the prequals is fair game including the new title. they have noted the veiws on the internet of those who hate it but have taken no notice of what me or king jedi think, idiots, still their loss.

King Jedi
I know as many people who love TPM as hate it. It's just that the ones who hate it are often louder. smile

robbery
its like with that brass eye thing to do with pedophiles, there were more calls praising the show than complaining but the press ignored this too concentrating on the negative.

Texas
Cant we all just get along?, That reminds me, wans't it so funny when the Ape said that in POTA, I was laughing!! big grin ...Oh stay on topic, I do agree with Robbery, that most SW titles are cheesy, and that we just get used to them. But Attack of the Clones is the cheese supreme! You couldn't get any cheesier then that! I'm with Ush, I would of liked The Clone Wars, much better! I guess this is just one of those things, you either love it or hate roll eyes (sarcastic)

queeq
The Ape said that in POTA????? Just like Jack Nicholson in Mars Attacks! ???? (i.e. another Tim Burton film). Hmmmm.

But, Tex, I'm sure GL is able to make even a more cheesy title for episode 3, so it may not turn out as the worst one. big grin

Anyway, I still ANH is the most boring title of them all.

King Jedi
The E.U has the worst titles. "I, Jedi" "The Coutship of Princess Leia" "The Hut Gambit" "Truce at Bakura" and a lot more.

yerssot
Everybody is saying that the more you talk about it, the more it sticks to you; same with the eu I think

robbery
lets get this straight, this film would never have been called The Clone Wars for the simple reason that there are is no clone war in it!!!! yes there are some clones and they may get about doing some attacking but a full scale war it will not be, the next film maybee.

King Jedi
I don't even think that title would work for Episode3 because the title would be Star Wars : The Clone Wars. Too many wars.
Lucasfilm did register the domain name "The Great Clone War" but I wouldn't like that as a title either.

yerssot
Naughty naughty!! Somebody saw the scripts!!

Ushgarak
Indeed, word repetition seems to be anathema to these titles.

jedi212guy
How about "mucho deathos" as the Episode III title?

Texas
I like it, and wouldn't be suprised if that was the title of EP3

UserGoogol
Star Wars: Episode Two "Rise of the Sith."

I gotta admit that "Attack of the Clones" has been growing on me. If I remember right, people didn't like it much when "Phantom Menace" was announced.

I The Phantom Menace
II Attack of the Clones
III
IV A New Hope
V The Empire Strikes Back
VI Return of the Jedi

Actually, it almost seems to fit.

rolling on floor laughing

Ushgarak
Indeed. I think I said somewhere earlier that the title scans if you say it along with all the others.

Try it in production order:

'A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones'.

Sounds fine to me.

Texas
I don't know, In my mind it doesn't mingle well with the other titles. I guess it's the "Attack of' part. I think being an American, I'm so familiar with those stupid B movies, like Attack of the Killer Mushrooms, and Attack of the 50ft Bananas, that when I hear 'Attack of' I'm automatically turned off.......But I'm sure that Attack of the Clones will change my prejudice for 'Attack of' movies.....hopefully! smile

King Jedi
A fanboy said to me yesterday that the title would be okay if it was "Attack of the Sith" which says it all really. confused

Yerssot what did you mean someone has read the script?

Ushgarak
I can just see the way you would say 'fanboy', KJ...

Texas
I know this is like a durrrrrr question, but what exactly is a fanboy? embarrasment

yerssot
How else do you know that there is no clone war in it,King Jedi?
I have stayed clear of anything that can be considered as a spoiler and I only know the title, Attack of the Clones and I know there is a Clone War, said in ANH, so for me it is logical that there is a Clone War in AOTC

King Jedi
I don't know for sure.

Ush I say "fanboy" with a snarl. mad

Texas there was a definition of a "fanboy" that was being e-mailed to people a while ago. I'll try and find it.

King Jedi
Here are some definitions I've found -

"The stereotypical fanboy can be seen as the thirty-something guy at comic conventions with a goatee or beard wearing some sort of comic book or fiction-based t-shirt. He still lives at home with his parents, usually in the basement. For a good representation, watch the comic store guy on the Simpsons. For the most part fanboys are good people with a devotion to their hobby. But Star Wars fanboys are a completely different species.

i.e. A Star Wars Fanboy would notice Luke's light-saber in the movie poster is white when it's actually green onscreen. Even though it has nothing to do with the overall story they would somehow see this as detrimental to their enjoyment of the movie.
Star Wars fanboys are so anal in their outlook that they believe they know better than George Lucas and anything that the Star Wars guru does is somehow wrong."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fangirl: See fanboy wink No, okay, seriously, any childish, obsessed, over-the-top fan who makes more mature fans embarrassed to be associated with them. The kind you see on TV (usually in full costume) every time the local newsteam decides to go cover a convention. Specifically, in ficdom, a writer whose stories are nothing but badly-written wish-fulfilment fantasies.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You're typical fanboy comment "Jar Jar sucks. Lucas should have made him part machine and given him some kind of bazooka". If you read this and thought "that's a great idea" then I'm sorry, but it's too late for you."

I couldn't find the good definition. Was anyone else sent it? It started "Fanboys are selfish creatures". Or you could go to TFN forums which are full of them. Look under the topics titled " Could Boba Fett beat the Predator" or " Does Lucas read the fans ideas?".

queeq
Sounds like a fanboy is "Beardi meets Dave", for those of you who know these two SW cults. big grin

Anyway, it's going of topic and over 100. PLease start a new thread if you want to discuss the Ep2 title some more.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.