x-wing alliance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

yerssot
Does anyone have the game x-wing alliance?

Ushgarak
Yup

yerssot
Short but powerfull answer.

Did you had also the problem when you had the mission of stealing Tydirium that when you entered the hangar, you bumped into every ship that was there?

Ushgarak
That mission WAS very clumsy, to be sure, but steady hands should keep you safe, and also if you enter from the right angle.

Of course, getting out again can be REAL nasty...

yerssot
Well, I found that they don't shoot the shuttle if you drop it. So in order to get that one right I flew away with the shuttle, when they came after me I dropped it, shot them picked it up again and was on my way to a new mission

Ratcat
I have just built a low spec PC for playing these old Win 9x games and I was stunned at how dated and ugly this game now looks.

Can't wait for the new generation of Star Wars games to hit the streets.

Ushgarak
Starfighter is the succesor to Alliance, of course, and is on the PC soon, but I understand that (probably due to it being a PS2 game) it has lost some of the stuff that Lucasarts Space Combat fans love- like the power allocation!
Looks the business, though.

yerssot
Is starfighter with the battle of Naboo?

Ushgarak
I think it probably has that battle IN it, but do NOT confuse it with the game called 'Battle for Naboo', which is a simple arcade blasterl

yerssot
If it's in it, what else is?

Ushgarak
A whole load of Naboo related stuff; planetary and atmosphereic. It has its whole own plot just like the old X-Wing and TIE Fighter games did; not as interesting as the Classic Setting but with the benefits of sophistication.

yerssot
Are there better games of fly-sims of SW on the market? (Belgium market would be fun)

yerssot
Ush,
question:
I reinstalled the game, and on mission 2, shooting practise, there you go to Dunarys and then you fight a ship or two.
But after that, normally a buoy is activated, but that's not the case here. I keep flying for 5 minutes and nothing works!

Ushgarak
Hmm. Got me stumped there, Yerssot. If I ever re-install it I will check it out and get back to you.

yerssot
I've now got the version update, from 1.0 to 2.1, I hope that solves the problem.
Another question: your trigger, the crosshair, is a black circul and you can't see anything in it. I thought that you could see through it, or is that only with the Rebellion?

Ushgarak
Sounds like a graphics issue; I can't imagine anything more useless than a crosshair that you cannot see through.

Andn you can check if it affects rebel ships or not by playing a skirmish game and flying an X-Wing. Or a TIE Fighter for that matter.

You know, I AM tempted to re-install this game now...

yerssot
It's strange, because my settings are on level 3 wich isn't supposed to do that.

DON'T reinstalled it! otherwhise you could have these problems also.

yerssot
Strange, instead of flying off, in the shooting practice, I get the message FRS: Slave One entered hyperspace instead of FRS: Andrasta entered hyperspace, I think that's my problem.

yerssot
Bumping this one again...

I finally have x-wing alliance reinstalled, version 2.02 and I STILL have the same problem with the shooting practice (and it's really strange because I finised the game once and then suddenly I have those problems)

I'll see what the "official" guys say about this, but if anyone has the game and knows what's wrong, let me know!

LanceWindu
I haven't even heard of this game. Can you guys tell me anything about it???

yerssot
It's a game from around 1997, you are a junior, you have to complete a few missions, flying a YT-1300 (the same type as the MF), after that you must flee and you join the rebellion.
With that you can fly ships like the X-wing, Y-wing, B-wing and the A-wing.
The last chapter is completly around Endor, and you fly the MF itself!

Ushgarak
I think it was the very end of '98 it was released, actually. The last classic era game to be released before TPM came out (though Classic era games continue to be made since).

Sadly, the multi-player was nowhere near as engaging as X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter. But it was still a good game, and they even toned down the ludicoruisly overpowered missiles of the earlier games.

yerssot
yeah ok; I don't know anything about those years...

That's because when I ask for a game (because, in Belgium IF they are her, wich is very dificult, they are expansif: almost 60 $!)
So I only get them when my father goes on a trip in some specific countries, hence, getting them a year or two too late
(so hmmm.... yes that would make it 1998 then)

But I find it strange, I finished the game once but suddenly when I reinstall it I can't finish the prologue!

Julie
I sympathize with your troubles...computers don't like me very much.

yerssot
no not the computers, the GAME!!!

Julie
I usually have bad luck with games too....electronics...go figure.

yerssot
I mailed with the help thingie at lucasarts, and after a bit of talking the other one was so desperate that she asked me that when we arrived at Dunari's to do absolutely nothing smile

Julie
that went right over my head....

yerssot
well, they mailed back and they gave me a pilot who already finished that mission so no problem anymore

Julie
sweet deal big grin

yerssot
and I didn't nagged for it! smile
I just gave them a screenshot of the problem and they want almost crazy smile
(and I didn't had to push them out the window this time)

Julie
Well that's good to here....you saved some poor tech a bit of pain....I'm proud of you big grin

yerssot
thank you! I'm always trying to do my best...

and I wouldn't say he was poor! He was just panicking because I found an error smile

Julie
Well he can relax now that the customer is satisfied big grin

Svensk72
HELP!
Battle 3, Mission ...whatever...mission is about connecting a listeningdevice on a bad wired com-sat. THERE IS NO NAV BOUY. I cant get back to Libery. Cant find any info about the problem on the net. Is this a known bug or what??

yerssot
been a LONG time and I can't help you out currently ...
but be sure you did all the objectives, everything has to be 100%

Ushgarak
Oh geez.

Mind you, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter still works on Windows XP (and worth playing) so Alliance might as well... maybe I shall bung it in again and try it out...

Svensk72

Svensk72
Thanks for responding on my question by the way...

yerssot
the earliest I can help you out is on saturday messed

normally the buoy will appear if you did all your objectives... have you got the latest patch, cause there were some (other) problems with the game

Svensk72
I havent installed the latest patch yet, however, I cant find anything about this mission or this problem in the specifications for the patch...

yerssot
well, you should better install it though, perhaps futur mission-problems will be solved smile

can you describe the misson a tad?

Svensk72

yerssot
hmmm, you have to check all satelites, even if you immediatly find the one with the bad wiring
but I never had any trouble with that mission messed

Svensk72

Svensk72
Did install the patch this weekend. No luck. I think that the save itself got a hickup. I actually think that the bouy was activated from start the first times I tried the mission but it was destroyed by crash or fire at the end of one of my many :-) tries.
I found some cheatcodes, but i dont know how to use them. Cant find any console or chatbox. Can u help?

yerssot
the buoy can't get destroyed by fire, believe me, I tried wink

no, never used the chatbox, try shift and ~ or just T

Svensk72
I found a solution. I found a file with a missionlist. Opened it in Notes and changed the mission name. This will probably mean that I have to do the same mission twice, but at least I can move on. Thanks for trying.

yerssot
well, THAT's another way of course stick out tongue

hope you'll have lots of fun with the game smile

Dirty Vader
I have X-wing Alliance, though i dont know what the shooting practice problem is.
I like the game a lot but the Endor battle is a miss.
I'd prefer to be in an X-wing or A-wing than in the millenium falcon cos
Lando and Nien are supposed to be flying in it. It just doesent seem right.
Is the endor battle the last mission of the game or do you get to kick Uncle Antan's ass?

Dirty Vader
Does anyone know any online multiplayer servers for this game?

Gotwa
Not really..

yerssot
nope, doubt they still have servers for it messed

Dirty Vader
They do on the msn gaming zone and quite a few people still play it but I cant access the room, when I click on it nothing happens or it displays "this page cannot be found" message. The troubleshooting guide is useless.

focus4chumps
OMG WTF THREAD NECROMANCER!

no seriously, there's a fan-made upgrade that has me re-hooked on this game, and if you were a fan you should have a look. you need windows 7 to make it happen.

http://www.darksaber.pnma.co.uk/

this is the site where i found the most comprehensive instructions on performing the upgrade (darksaber's second post) which works with either the original disks or torrent ISO's:

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3008/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10698&hilit=install

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.