I Hear A Rumor About Anikin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

THRASHER527
IN EPISODE 2 HIM AND A VOLCANO TRUE OR FALSE

yerssot
I think that will be in EpIII, that is his last step in becoming Vader. He needs that suit to life in

King Jedi
Maybe not a volcano. It could be a sea of lava. Something hot and scary anyway.

yerssot
It is normally a vulcano that is said in 1977

Ushgarak
I don't believe it was said in 1977. 1983, maybe.

The volcano has always been the generally accpeted fan thing... but then so was Own Lars as Obi-Wan's brother...

yerssot
Ush, you disappoint me, I thought you knew this.

Mark Hamill asked in 1977 to GL what happend to his father. GL answered that his father fell in a vulcano.

This is what GL said himself!!!

This all means that Annakin falls in the vulcano and he arise as Vader, the evil guy

Ushgarak
Give me the source, yerssot, if you really want that accepted...may I remind you that in 1977 GL had NOT yet made Vader Luke's father, so I am VERY sceptical.

yerssot
I think that was on sw.com, with the pics with comment. A long while ago.
Maybe he didn't decided about Vader being father but he knew that Vader hadn't the most beautifull skin

Ushgarak
So Mark was asking about Vader, NOT his fatherm then?

yerssot
No,
I meant that Luke asked GL what happend to his father.
GL answered that his father fell in a vulcano.
In TESB you can see Vaders head. So that is a good conclusion

Ushgarak
Right, so GL said Luke;s father fell in a volcano, and this was when his father and Vader were seperate characters. Nothing to do with Vader then.

We still have nothing concrete about what happened.

Ratcat
As an oldie (33) I can remember back to the interim period between 77 and 80. The volcano thing was certainly about before ESB was released, but it was closer to the release of ESB than to the release of ANH I think.

I think that the old Star Wars comics between ANH and ESB had mention of it. Of course it isn't canon.

Jameous Woodshire
Here is the closest I could get from SW.C
Vader & Lava

I dont remember hearing anything about his Lava accident till near ROTJ. I also remember David Prowse and Mark Hamil saying that they didnt even know that Vader was Lukes father till the premier of ESB.

Dim
I wonder how they got away with that one..

Do you think that maybe since we're still getting spy information about volcano like locations that GL might indeed be sticking with his original plan for Vader?

Jameous Woodshire
Do you mean how they didnt know about Vader/Father?

They shot the scene with different dialouge, then later in editing, they called them in for looping. There they recorded the 'real' lines that would be used but they had been throwen around so that unless you were the editor or GL you wouldnt know what scene you were recording for.

If you look close you can see Luke isn't quite sync'd up. He sometimes adds a word or two when his lips arent moving. ANd some words where his lips are moving but not to the right words.

I found another mention of a lava cave in SW.C. It says that early set designs of the Emperors chamber were to be under Corusant in a lava filled throne room. It must be something GL likes, but has never got to include in any film he's made.

Jameous Woodshire
Do you mean how they didnt know about Vader/Father?

They shot the scene with different dialouge, then later in editing, they called them in for looping. There they recorded the 'real' lines that would be used but they had been throwen around so that unless you were the editor or GL you wouldnt know what scene you were recording for.

If you look close you can see Luke isn't quite sync'd up. He sometimes adds a word or two when his lips arent moving. ANd some words where his lips are moving but not to the right words.

I found another mention of a lava cave in SW.C. It says that early set designs of the Emperors chamber were to be under Corusant in a lava filled throne room. It must be something GL likes, but has never got to include in any film he's made.

Anikan
I heard in the Star Wars site that one of the artists were asked to do a picture of Vader's home, in it he had a sea of Lava. Also I just have to say that GL knew in A New Hope that Vader was Lukes Father. it was planned from Day one. I think this is said on the tape "From StarWars to Jedi" Oh if you look around in the StarWars.com page you can probably still find the Lava pic.

yerssot
Maybe is that because lava is red and the favourite color of the Sith is red?

King Jedi
Lucas always had Vader as Lukes father except for the very first SW script which had Justin Valour as the young kid.

Type in Ralph MQuarrie into a search engine and you'll get sites on him. You'll see some of his design work for the OT and a sea of lava is in quite a few pictures.

Ushgarak
Ok, even if GL DID know that Vader was Luke's father- and that really is a VERY contentious point because there is a lot of stuff that suggests it is not so- Mark Hamil CERTAINLY didn't, so he would not have been asking about his father/Vader as one person.

BTW, KJ, more than just the first script of ANH had Vader dying at the end, so if GL DID have that in mind he put it in way after the first script.

Dim
Makes you wonder what kind of big secrets GL his holding onto now..

Ushgarak
He may have it more planned this time, but certainly with the OT he made up heck of a lot more of it as he went along than many people think.

Jameous Woodshire
Yep, Dim, I hope to be alot more surprised than I was last time. I was/am so spoiled that I knew everything that was going to happen before it did. I even knew alot of the lines by the releace. Strangely though I didn't buy the novelisation days before then.

And Anikan, I posted the link to the Ralph McQuarrie pic and discription on the previous page... but here it is again.

Vader's Home w/Lava

Also it was very easy to hide the Father fact from Hammill and Prowse because the important lines were said by James Earl Jones. Mark's lines were changed, but it was still easy to keep him in the dark.

BTW James Earl Jones will be back for EP3, so that should be great to hear/ see again smokin'

Anikan
Wizard. that was the exact pic I was talking about. thanks pal.

As to the script. I've read at least 4 for the current Star Wars 2. I've seen one for Ep3 which I'm sure is a fake since I read on the StarWars.com page that GL hadn't finished it a month later. and I even read a script that was about Star Wars 7 featuring a 60 year old Luke and Mara and the main character was Luke's son named Jhon. But I think this now got toasted since the books just had Mara give birth to a son. But I thought I heard the kids name was Ben.

Does any one know for sure the name of Luke and Mara's son?

Jameous Woodshire
" Mara who!?!" George Lucas (TF.N April Fools wink )

Anyway did you also notice the date on that pic was from Aug 13, 2001? I saw this a long time ago.... There must be a reason to update it.

I believe there is something to that, but probbaly not for ATOC. EP3 more likely.

And as GL has said before, 6 episodes is all SW will be. Unfortunite, so enjoy this time before there will be no more times before new SW films.

finti
I typed in Ralph MQuarrie onb a search engine and it came out with nothing sad any links available.

Jameous Woodshire
I dont like that search engine much either. You can try google and search website...

But my link to that painting is two of my posts above.

It says Joe Johnston, but he was just doing the sketches. This painting looks alot more like RMcQ. IMHO

yerssot
Ush:
Mark Hamill asked GL what happend to his father (that's annakin)
GL said that annakin fell in a vulcano.

So Ush, he DIDN'T asked about his father and Vader as they were one person, because this was said in ANH!

Ushgarak
Yerssot, my point was that at no point was Hamil talking about Vader... and in any case, you still haven't produced the source.

yerssot
The source is still unknown for me, because of computerproblems, I narrowed it down to the sw.com (name forgotten but it is about a picture and some comment) or the BTM-cd

Ushgarak
Ok, I'll take a look for it some time.

Still, it is very likely that, while it may well have been an option he was considering from the time that the ANH script got into its final incarnation (which was VERY late!) onwards, the decision to make Vader Luke's father wasn't made for a long time after ANH was shown.

King Jedi
Vader was ALWAYS Luke Skywalkers father. Alec Guiness is probably the only one who knew but he had to guess as Lucas just told him that when Obi-Wan tells Luke about his father he isn't being entirley truthfull. Lucas told him that there was a "dark secret " about Vader and Luke and Alec Guiness guessed that it was his father.

You'll probably get the interview in which he said this on an Alec Giuness site.

But Mark Hamill didn't know until he had to rehers the end of ESB.

Ushgarak
Hmm... I'll check it out. 'ALWAYS' is an odd term; he certainly wasn't for most of the develoment of ANH because Annikin was IN the early versions, as well as Vader.

Jameous Woodshire
Yep, and Hamill did not know untill the premier of ESB, not during the filming or the looping (as I said previously) THe source is from Making of ESB or Behind the Magic of SW (Documentarys) My friend has the tape and was showing it at the last Con we were at.

DJ Velocity
Ush...Your knowledge astounds me sometimes (it really does). But you have got to be THE most sceptical person I know of. laughing out loud

yerssot
Maybe, but everyone has an opinion

King Jedi
I'm talking about Star Wars as we know it. Not the Justin Valour scripts or the one that didn't bare a resemblance to the Hidden Fortress plot.

I'm pretty sure that Alec Giuness said that in one of his books, but I'll try and fing it as well.

jedi212guy
How would Mark not know when filming ESB?

Jameous Woodshire
Watch that scene again, Vader has all the lines about being his father. Luke just whines, yells and bitches.

And if you look close his lips don't match what he is saying. It's close but not quite right. He did those lines later in editing. He didn't even know that was the scene he was doing it for.

I think during filming Vader was saying something like he killed Han or Leia, and that got the "Noooooooo", and "It isn't possible" lines.

I also think he was saying something else other than "Father" when he was on the Falcon escaping from Bespin.

He said GL had him do a lot of lines several different ways, so the crew, Mark, and David were all in the dark. That was the way alot of the OT was kept a secret.

yerssot
That's correct JW.
It was actually said that Leia and Han were dead

Dim
I wonder why GL didn't feel like he could trust his actors..Its seems a bit paranoid..but on the other hand it worked for keeping people from finding out..still seems crazy though.

King Jedi
No that's wrong JW. Hammil found out when he had to rehearse beofre filming. When he was told he thought that Vader was lying to tempt Luke away and that's the same reaction that James Earl Jones had.

One of the issues of SW magazine (uk) has an interview with Irvin Kershner and he says he didn't tell Mark Hammil until just before filming because he thought it would effect how he played the part.

He also praised Hammils acting in those scenes because he was dangling from the end of the platform, with strong fans blowing wind in his face and he couldn't hear what David Prowse was saying.

Jameous Woodshire
Um, so he was told or wasn't.???

I'm referencing a video interview with Mark, he said he had no idea. That may well mean he was told later that Vader was lying. But as Prowse also said, those lines never came up during filming so Mark would not need to be told Vader was lying unless he was lying about killing Han and/or Leia..

And I'm sure it was difficult to do that scene too. I can just imagine.

yerssot
Dim:

That was for the same reason as ROTJ was named Blue Harvest during filming, in those days you were paid A LOT for a tip about a movie. AND ANH was already a big hit, so any tip about ESB would be well payed

Dim
Yes, I can see your point.

King Jedi
JW I'm confused as well now. But that's definatley what Irvin Kershner said.

And Luke saw Han and Leia in the corridors of Cloud City so he knew they weren't dead. And of course he contacted Leia at the end so again he knew she wasn't dead.

yerssot
KJ something to think about:

He saw Leia and the others; with Leia saying it's a trap, after that Luke fought Vader, in between there wold be plenty of time for killing the others. For Hamill seeing Leia again would mean that Vader lied.

King Jedi
Nope. During the end battle Luke says "he told me enough, he told me you killed him". It's obvious from this line that Vader was talking about how Obi-Wan lied about his father.

Then you have the end where Luke is saying to himself "Ben, why didn't you tell me". It's all about Vader being his father.

yerssot
I thought that someone on this thread said that his lips didn't move correctly... don't know, didn't checked

King Jedi
They do move correctly, because Mark Hammil said those lines.

yerssot
Yep, you are correct I guess

Ushgarak
As far as I know, David Prowse thought the line was:

'Obi-Wan is your father'

Could Mark have thought this as well? It fits.

finti
Why does Mark/Luke respond with father ,to Vader, inside the Falcon after his escape?

Jameous Woodshire
Like I said. those lines were added after filming. In editing and what they call looping.

They shot the film out of order so the fight could have been at any time. THe actors didnt get full copys of the script, just the parts they were in.

And like I said before David Prowse also said he didnt say those lines so Mark wouldnt have necessarly know that. ANd yes. His lips arent synced all the time. Watch that scene again

yerssot
You're correct, not entirely synch

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.