Who should have directed star wars?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lucas Sucks!
If you could choose another director who should had done the third star wars film... who would it be?

Lames.s.
No one. These movies are Lucas's babies. I dont believe anyone else could do any better directing.

Ushgarak
Oooh, well, ESB was pretty good, you know...

yodaatemydad
Steven Speilburg comes to mind. I wouldn't mind an Ivan K. to do it again. Is he still alive?

mephistodesigns
he did Robocop 2, and for that, I will never forgive him.

I think Ridley Scott's got the right stuff, 'specially since the entertainment district of coruscant was like a total ode to Blade Runner. And he definetly would have done well with battles (ala gladiator/black hawk down-who Lucas has sited as an influence on his own battle sequences on the Clones commentary) and he's handled plenty of effects heavy films including some with ILM. I like Speilberg, but I think his style is too touchy feely/cliche filled to work on Star Wars.

Lucas Sucks!
ridley scott would be perfect... youre right... but spielgberg hell no!
I dont like the way lucas directs.... he doesnt know how to direct actors. Ridley Scott would have made a better attack of the clones since the city secuence was a rip off from blade runner.... 20 years later and it doesnt surpass it. Anyways no miracles could have been done with the bad script.
I think ridley scott would be very good. Ive always wondered how would have return of the jedi would have looked if david lynsh directed it like it was intended.

sith_darth_jay
LUCAS OF COURSE... not. i agree with everyone here, ridley scott would've done a good job

Cowboyography
how about David Lynch, Then at the everyone will be really confused!!

Lucas Sucks!
Ha ha not really bcause he wouldng have made the script. Lucas would supervise him.. I think he would have done a better jedi.

Darth Jello
sam raimi or kevin smith

Lucas Sucks!
Are you crazy???
Ha! imagine that ******* ben afleck as a jedi with matt damon! hahaha come on kevin smith.... sam raimi would do a better job... i stick with ridley scott

Darth Jerry
mad Lucas Doesn't suck at all...
I personally I think that the pre-quels are great...

He's a genius. And yeah , he should have direct the movies from the beggining. He created the whole SW universe.

evil face But , I read in TF.N that they are planning to do the episode 7 , 8 and 9. And they are considering Spielberg to direct... But that doesn't mean that Lucas is bad. They just want to make things different now.

yerssot
they're not making new episodes

Ushgarak
Indeed.

Darth Jello
I said smith because he is a huge star wars fan. he would take things very seriously and I doubt that someone like bryan ohalloran would be playing obi-wan. Read his run on the daredevil comic (guardian devil) so yuo can see the guy for the huge talent he actually is. btw, here's a list of people who shouldn't direct star wars: jerry bruckheimer, michael moore (great documentary maker, bad director, watch canadian bacon to see what i mean), actually thats all i can think of. btw, what do y'all think of nicolas meyer directing episode 3? (watch star trek six to see his great work on really dark stories)

Lucas Sucks!
Youre saying that Lucas is a good director???
do you actually like portmans performance??? ankins performance? do you actually like the way those movies are shot? have you seen any movies beside star wars and indiana jhones?

mephistodesigns
anakin's yes, portman's no way.

I agree with Kevin Smith (with reservations) for the same reason-his love of the series. BUT, he shouldn't write it, Lucas would anyway. So without Smith's writting, there's no point in having him direct. He can direct people in the real world in average situations. I have serious doubts about his battle sequences and any actual cinematography.

Lucas Sucks!
come on... the guy who plays anakin is a lot better actor than in star wars... the way lucas directs him doesnt work... people like mcgregor had to do extra work to make his characters work because lucas doesnt give him enough information about the character. Mcgregor admits it.... that is a very hard movie to make good performances from because of the abuse of blue screen usage. Thats no way to direct star wars... im not a fan of spielgberg but he said something that is true... and he said that lucas didnt gave enough physical room to the characters so they could be more cormftable to interact with each other... in the other hand spielgberg makes complete sets... with little blue so they can feel more at home... those are directing skills... know whats better for your actors... all this digital technology went to Lucas head and he lost his mind into it.... its not bad to have special effects... but thinks like performance and story are the really important ones.... special effects aids you to tell a story. He forgot all that... Thats why portmans performance is flat... shes not a bad actris... its just that she hasnt been directed well aswell as haydens char. Now tell me a way that a line like sand is rough and it gets everywhere could be prounounce in a natural way.... how about this party is over? or negotiations with a light saber?? Is this a genius work????

Altar[1stONE]
What about Peter Jackson or if only the great Stanley Kubrick

Darth Jello
what's wrong with nicolas meyer?

godfather
Come on, any true star wars fan would not even consider the film without lucas!!! who knows star wars better than the man who invented it, who else as there right to make Character decisions?

Lucas Sucks!
Kubrick died.... and well.. if he were still alive... he would make somethin far better and more inteligent than star wars.... he doesnt fit in this category... hes veri hi up.
Jackson would do a good job too.

godfather
so you dont like star wars at all then?

mephistodesigns
Kubrick is over rated and would have commendered the whole production. We'd have a whole new story line by the end. As for Lucas' directing-Portman isn't that good to begin with. She WAS really good. Now I don't think she's very focused in general and it show in her work, she's always her. She never gets into character completely. That's why the only good scene she did in Clones was the picnic, because it was a very earthy conversation. I thought these actors liked to be challenged, but all they do is whine about blue screen. I've seen 6 and 7 year olds with toy lightsabers putting more guts to playing star wars than the actors in the movies. They can't IMAGINE whats around them? Isn't that what most of us did as little kids? I admit, if you're talking to someone who isn't there, that can be a pain. But complaining about a lack of scenery is dumb. Even when there scenery, its only complete to just past the edge of the cameras anyway. They have a bunch of lights and crew right next to them essentialy. Waaah! Blue screen! I think they just need to push themselves, thats how movies as bad as Hannibal are fun and totally watchable, because Hopkins got so into character that it was a joy to watch. No matter how bad the co-stars, setting, story, dialogue whatever, he made it work by figuring out his character on his own. By pushing himself. X-men wasn't all that great either when you look at the actual script, what made it work were the actors who really got into character. And don't tell me the star wars actors didn't have anything to prep with. Even for the actors who were playing new characters-you couldn't think of someone you know like that person and act like them? please. I understand it must be very hard to deal with all the effects, but it just comes down to effort.

Lucas Sucks!

Lucas Sucks!
Peace out!

Lyn
Though I don't want to bad-mouth GL ((I think he's a genius)) I agree with LucasSucks partially.
I thought Natalie & Hayden did very well considering their dialogue. I agree with mephisto, the meadow was a great scene for them...but the other scenes, well, the dialogue was really hard to listen to. When I first saw the film I thought it was incredibly romantic...but after seeing it a few more times I discovered that the two of them were producing the romantic affect, NOT the dialogue. Their lines were very hard to deliver smoothly, naturally, romantically.
Heaps of people will come on here and argue that the acting sucked, that's your chioce...I just reckon it was the dialogue that tarred their romance story, not the acting.

slinger
cough the Wachowski Brothers cough joking smile

vvvrulz
GL needs a new 'movie dialogues for beginners' book for christmas. Im pleading that EpIII isnt let down by more cheese.

ragesRemorse
Lucas made episode1 look like a saturday morning cartoon. I wouldnt mind seeing tarentino try his hand at a star wars flick.

Lucas Sucks!
Good that you agree.. but if the dialog is bad, this sacrifices the performances too.... because they cant get into the character. one thing is tied to another..... i agree that natalie and hayden could have done better even with the bad dialog... but its part of the direction lucas is turning his interest in... technical stuff... Genius is a very different thing than being inteligent.... lucas is very inteligent... but he doesnt know how to show them.... he knows a hell lot about history, mithology and a lot of other things wich is a knowledge in envy him for having... but it makes me angry knowing that all this goes to waste.... star wars has so much potential and it has been exploded so poorly in the movies. Its really a shame.... genius would be chaging cinema for ever because the way you develop story telling... wich is not the case.... the way you shoot your scenes witch is not the case in star wars... the narrative... witch obviously is not the case... the only thing that predominates and makes a huge change in cinema in star wars are the special effects wich are not in the hands of lucas... its in the hands of many other talented people who knows the medium and understand it even more than lucas.... im sure of it...
Kubrick was a genius because he changed the typical way of making story telling, he shot his movies with different techniques never used before, they were also innovative and intelligent... Tarantino also changed the way movies are told.... movies like that are the ones i prefer to see over star wars.

mephistodesigns
tarantino bites everything off Scorcese, including his camera work. I like tarantino, buts lets be honest now.

Lucas Sucks!
Well they are different types of director... over tarantino and scorsece i pick spike lee.

Darth Jello
well the first one looks like it could have been directed by ed wood...

mephistodesigns
hey! Ed Wood would have killed Jar-Jar in some ridiculously wild way. Insulting poor Eddy like that, you otta be ashamed! big grin

vvvrulz
Ill agree with mephistodesigns back there about the whole blue screen thing. X-men was a prime example, you could tell that the actors were fully enjoying themselves playing thier parts and really got into the characters shoes. Whearas in star wars they seem to have trouble using their imagination !! That aint the directors fault, thats simply bad acting. No more.

mephistodesigns
thanks! one could argue the locations in Star Wars are more complicated than X-men, but thats just the thing. Padme's apartment may be thousands of stories up, but its an apartment, I know the actors have seen apartments. When reacting to the Geonosian arena, just watch Sparticus and Gladiator to get an idea of what you're reacting to. And, as Lucas pointed out in the Clones commentary, he doesn't want to to overreact as all of this seemingly fantastic world is their everyday boring world. That's why the Anakin and Obi-wan were supposed to look relatively calm chasing Zam through Coruscant. Even Anakin jumping out of the speeder was supposed to be "just doing their jobs". I think what really screws up the acting, above all else, is the stress of being IN Star Wars. Had they made these back in the day, whoever was playing the parts wouldn't have to deal with 20 years of build up and fans getting specific pictures of characters and events in there heads. Even a lot of the actors (everyone but Portman) has spoken of playing star wars as kids. So the ones who are into it and respect it, probably have a lot of underlying stress as to how to play these characters without pissing everyone off.

vvvrulz
It adds more spice when the actor manages to give the audience the feeling that the actor is actually in those scenario's. Being calm is one thing, but being ignorant is another.

amity75
Two words - John Woo.

Lyn
I do understand what you mean. I don't really takes HEAPS of notice of the way scenes are shot, at what angles etc...but there are times in SW where I think more effort has gone into the location/effects than the story and the dialogue.

Still luv 'em though!! wink stick out tongue Happy Dance

Lyn
I totally agree with the expectations that have been formed for the prequels. I would hate to be under so much pressure...at least Nat can sort of make the character her own, as there was no Padme in the originals for us to fall in love with and have expectations for. Get me??

vvvrulz
What would Tarantino do to star wars big grin

Rogue Jedi
spielberg did a great job.

Lucas Sucks!
Oh please...... sick

mephistodesigns
lol!

Dirty Vader
spielberg laughing

Lucas Sucks!
he will remove all the laser pistols digitaly and insert cell phones on the clone troopers like he did in ET.

mephistodesigns
that was even dumber than Greedo shooting first. At least he still got shot.

Lucas Sucks!
about that greedo thing... pause that scene with han solo... look at it frame by frame ... look how it was done... the enlarged solos neck to make the effects it looks hidus..... check it out.. dumbest thing ever...

Deckard
hmmm, i think theres a huge difference between good directors and good star wars directors. i think some of the suggestions are amazing directors, but wouldnt have interest in star wars or do a good job. Spielberg makes great kids films, but the darkest star wars film of them all? i think not. I love this idea of lynch doing return of the jedi, that would have been amazing. if the last one was directed by someone else and looked totoally different to thew othert films it would negate the point though, singer seems a sound idea or certianly scott. the matrix films show how making films bigger then just one film can be difficult and be done badly(not that im trying to start a matrix debate). maybe zemeckis would be an interseting candidate.

Darth Bandon
How about Q.T.? Imagine Star Wars: Episode VI: Kill Vader. stick out tongue

Rogue Jedi
sith fiction.

mephistodesigns
how about no.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.