OBi Wans Saber in On Location 21

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ratcat
OK, well TFN and JediNet say it's a different saber but I don't think it is. If you haven't seen the latest Episode-II On Location that first line won't make any sense.

Basically Ahmed has interviewed Nash Edgerton, stunt double for Ewan McGregor and during the segment the camera man pans down to Nash's right hand which is holding a lightsaber hilt!

Personally I think that StarWars.Com are just pulling a fast one. I am 99.99999% sure that the hilt is the original Episode-I prop and not the one we will see in Episode-II. TFN and JediNet have other ideas but if you compare what's in the video with pictures from Episode-I resources you will see the match.

Just MHO...

theEviljedi
It looks like Qui-Gonn's to me.

www.theforce.net/episode2...2saber.jpg

Dim
I was too busy noticing how dazed he seemed...Am I the only one who noticed that?...

And yeah...it would see like that was a purposeful slip.

theEviljedi
I have never seen one On Location ever.sad

Dim
Why not?

theEviljedi
My computer doesn't let me use Quick-Time.sad I don't know why. Do you?

Ratcat
Checkout my comparisson and you'll see what I mean EJ.

www.episode-2.co.uk/news/...isode2.htm

Dim
do you have it installed?...

theEviljedi
It's just Qui-Gon's saber from another angle, RC.

queeq
I think you have sabres confused. It does NOT look like Qui-Gon's sabre at all!!!! It looks a heck of a lot like OB1's sabre in Ep1 that Maul kicked down the shaft though. RC's site demonstrates it quite clearly.

It does make me wonder where OB1's sabre in ANH comes from. It seems as if he looses a lot of sabres in his life.

queeq out

Ratcat
I think this is just a ploy by LFL to try and confuse us. Either that or Obi Wan loved his saber so much that he just had to build another identical one.

theEviljedi
RC's site shows the SAME saber. It is just shown from a different angle. IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME!

focusin.ads.targetnet.com...id=3835310

Ratcat
The saber in my image is OBI WAN KENOBI's Saber, Not Qui Gon Jinns

And why are you posting links to my banner ads???? Weird. laughing out loud

If you look at Qui Gonn's saber, as shown in THIS pic from when Liam Neeson announced it was being auctioned compared with the screen capture from TFN.

http://www.theforce.net/episode2/newspics/obiep2saber.jpg http://www.episode-2.co.uk/filmpersonel/cast/images/_1021525_neeson150.jpg

You can quite clearly see that this is NOT the same saber as Nash Edgerton was holding nor the one in my comparison pic which came from the Episode-i insites guide.

If you look at pictures of Obi Wans saber from the VD or the IG you will see that it IS the samre saber or a very, very close likeness of that saber. It is mostly sliver while QGJ's was mostly black and didn't have the little nobbled sphere at the end.

Dim
Yep, you're right...they look NOTHING alike.

Ratcat
I know I'm right, but the one on the left (From OL21) is identical to the one seen falling down the shaft in TPM.

theEviljedi
RC,On your site, the top and bottom pictures are of Qui-Gon's saber. The one in the select may not be,but they still look similiar.That is all I meant.

Ratcat
EJ, the pic on my site is NOT Qui Gons saber, it's Obi Wans. Look at the Liam pic above, he's holding QG's saber and it is nothing like OB1. Why not just admit you're wrong.

Every one knows it but you.

QG's saber did not have the nobbled ball at the end, OB1 did.

Just to labour the point further, here's another set of comparisons from the Episode-I insiders guide with both QG and OB with thier sabers

http://website.lineone.net/~episode-2uk/sabercompare.jpg

queeq
Wow, well done RC. I'm truly impressed and I agree with you. Mind you though, QGJ's sabre was not entirely black just from one side. But it doesn't look anything like either sabre OB1 has hade in the PT so far. I have QGJ's sabre as a toy, which looks very much like the real one. That's why I know it quite well, one side is entirely silvery, from the other side it looks black. But your last pic shows that already.

I guess that last pic settles it. It looks like OB1 has a new sabre, much like the old one. I really wonder when and how he's going to lose this one and whose he fashions his ANH sabre after. Dooku's perhaps?

queeq out

Ratcat
I still think Lucas is trying to pukll a fast one with that video and that was actually the Ep1 prop we saw.

Darth Heinous
Okay, we all know that Ben isn't using Master Jinn's lightsaber in episode 2. So what happened to Master Jinn's lightsaber? Was it cremated with Master Jinn? Taken apart and "recycled" for Ben's new lightsaber? Destroyed? Enshrined? Does Anakin use it before his blue saber (that Luke used later)?

Dim
I think we might see OB1 still have it.

queeq
So do I. I just wonder who OB1 will have the inspiration from to design the ANH one. Any ideas?

queeq out

Dim
Some chick he picks up in Mos Eisley?...Probably not?

queeq
Maybe a chick he picks up on Coruscant. I hear they have enchanting girls in the nightclubs.

But seriously, but Luke's ANH sabre and Vader's sabre have a similar look to OB1's ANH sabre. So if we work with the concept that a padawan fashions his sabre after his master's out of respect.... where did OB1 get his last sabre's design from?

Sometimes I sound almost intelligent... laughing out loud

queeq out

Ratcat
Almost... laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud

queeq
Yep, one must never lose hope... laughing out loud

At least I'm clever enough to admit my lack of intelligence. wink

queeq out

finti
I think Ratcat is right, and queeg if Lukes, Vader and ob1`s saber looks alike in anh, there might be a simple explanation to it. Ob1 designs a new saber for epII, Anakin designs a similar to ob1 to show his respect for his master. Well Anakin is to become Vader, so in my mind ob1 and Anakin fights in this "famous" lava pit scene. Anakin falls in the pit, ob1 pics up Anakin`s saber and this is the saber Luke receives in anh. Anakin,now turned in to Vader, have to construct a new saber and does so probably after his old construction.
Now, what about Lukes saber in Rotj, whose design does he use.

theEviljedi
His own.Luke looks through a saber construction book at Ben's house and skims through the many designs before creating his own.

Ratcat
I thought he spent some time doing this, like weeks ot something. The rituals to forge a saber are said to take many,many days to complete with a very deep meditational state during which the Jedi does not eat, sleep or drink.

queeq
That's all EU, though.

When Luke makes up his own design (which is quite clear) then OB1's ANH sabre may be his own design as well, I dig that.

queeq out

Ratcat
Yes it is EU, but I understand from an interview I saw many months ago with Stackpole that Lucas was personally involved in the creation of the Saber ritual. Dunno if that's true but that's what it said in relation to I Jedi.

Wasn't it also used in Shadows of the Empire or something?

queeq
I haven't read the book, only the comics. And there Luke finds the instructions in Ben's home and makes himself a new one. It didn't say how long, but it didn't look like many weeks to me.

I sure hope we don't get to see the sabre ritual in the PT, though.

queeq out

Ratcat
I hope we do, perhaps a group of young Jedi padawans practicing or something.

theEviljedi
It was in Shadows when Luke was waiting on Tattione.

queeq
I think GL's taken away mystery enough by introducing the midi's. Please, no sabre rituals.

queeq out

Dim
I don't think GL's going to get into that..I don't see any reason for it.

queeq
Neither do I.

queeq out

Ratcat
And the imagination squad have spoken. It doesn't have to be blatant. There should be a lot of back ground stuff going on if we see the Jedi Academy, this is ideal stuff to fit that catagory.

Like in the X-Men when the girl runs through the door, it wasn't really interal to the story but it was a nice addition.

Or of course, you could have a flat lifeless film where all you see are the main characters on a flat canvas of nothing.

queeq
So what you're saying is that intense meditation for light sabre building can take place when everyone is running around in the background?

I look at it this way. I'm a huge Hitchcock fan and I concur with what he says about explaining things too much: it's BORING!!! Explaining how sabres are built is completely irrelevant to the story and BORING!!! TPM had enough faults in it, Ep2 is supposed to be a lot better.

queeq out

Ratcat
NO, that's not what I'm saying at all. In fact the opposite.

What I am suggesting is that maybe a classroom of Jedi padawans, all those little cuties that Dim fell in love with, maybe practicing this skill or something.

This would not be in the main action, but in the background as we watch the main action we're really interested in. A class of Jedi as a main scene would be very boring, I agree.

I just like those little background bits that ypou can sppoot the 2nd, 3rd and 4th timews you watch a film .

queeq
OK, I see what you mean. Maybe in a scene where Mace is talking to Yoda or something?

Well, I'm still not convinced, but this way I would find it acceptable. I'll tell GL he should add a scene like that, next time he comes to me and asks for money. laughing out loud

queeq out

Ratcat
I just like those little bits and pieces.

Oh, if you have money to spare, through it this way. laughing out loud

queeq
Turned into a beggar now, have you?

queeq abides

Ratcat
Yes, and I can't spell either....

queeq
So what else is new? laughing out loud

queeq abides

Ratcat
Nuthing... laughing out loud

queeq
*Han Solo voice* I know...

queeq abides

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.