Top 50 movies...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Top British film magazine 'Empire' has recently finished it;s annual top 50 films listing, as voted by the readers.

Whoile not definitive, of course, it's a very important poll. And, as ever, Star Wars won it again, ES was second, ROTJ 40th and TPM nowhere.

Here is the list, make your comments...

1. Star Wars
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. The Shawshank Redemption
4. The Godfather
5. The Matrix
6. Fight Club
7. Gladiator
8. Goodfellas
9. Breakfast at Tiffany's
10. Pulp Fiction
11. Raiders of the Lost Ark
12. The Usual Suspects
13. Jaws
14. American Beauty
15. Casablanca
16. Blade Runner
17. The Godfather part II
18. Seven
19. Aliens
20. Saving Private Ryan
21. Silence of the Lambs
22. Schindler's List
23. Alien
24. Some Like it Hot
25. LA Confidential
26. Apocalypse Now
27. Magnolia
28. Citizen Kane
29. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
30. It's a Wonderful Life
31. Braveheart
32. Leon
33. 2001: A Space Odyssey
34. Titanic
35. The Big Lebowski
36. Lawrence of Arabia
37. Taxi Driver
38. Gone with the Wind
39. Fargo
40. Return of the Jedi
41. Singing in the Rain
42. Raging Bull
43. Jusrassic Park
44. The Searchers
45. Forrest Gump
46. Grosse Pointe Blank
47. Rear Window
48. Dr. Stangelove
49. One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
50. Vertigo

Texas
Gladiator is highly over rated

mah
indeed. also, am I the only one who didn't like the matrix?

King Jedi
No, I hate the Matrix. And only one of my freinds liked it as well.

Where is The Wizard of Oz, The Shining, Boogie Nights, Spartacus? They are much better than some of the films there. Oh, well, at least Star Wars won again. smile

Texas
Matrix is too high on the list, should of been more towards the bottom. In almost every American film list, Citizen Kane is #1.

Ushgarak
Most people adore the Matrix in my area of the world, including me, but it has never seemed to be popular around here.

Expect to see Gladiator dropping in the next few years, probably sharply. A few years back that list was full of Tarantino flicks but Pulp Fiction is the only one that stayed up top.

CTHD probably won't last either. And with any luck Jurassic Park will slip out soon...

yerssot
A lot of classics aren't in the list!

Ushgarak
To be perfectly honest with you I am surprised at the amount that are.

Texas
Fight Club???????????? One can clearly see that the majority of voters were men

JediOasis
I love that list. The top 2 are Star Wars films so thats the best list I've seen. And I also like Gladiator, Jurassic Park and Fight Club. The JP's are some of my favorite movies, probably my second favorite trilogy.

ToMacco
Pal, you've got some good movies on that list.

Three movies are on the list that belong in the toilet; The Matrix, Gladiator and Fight Club

The Matrix- Keau Reeves heads a cast of quite possibly the worst actors ever assembled for a film. Reeves plays the same character in all of his films. Special effects are a tool used to make movies better, not to make movies.

Fight Club- I did like this film, but the scene in the end where he shoots himself in the head is laughable. Plus, I don't like how his club turned into a cult.

Gladiator- Nothing but a rip off of Braveheart. Russel Crowe is a terrific actor, and was in this movie. But to see the them carry off Crowe at the end instead of the Emperor of Rome was a little unbeleivable. Crowe won the oscar instead of Hanks for Cast Away, I was pretty upset.

Texas
I thought Meat Loafs ***** **** were pretty funny! big grin

ToMacco
Magnolia:

Can someone please explain this film to me? It was really, really good and was going along nicley. All of a sudden, it starts raining frogs!!! What the hell is that all about?!? And if I remember correctly, the people in the movie passed it off as if it were raining water.
What a goofy-ass movie. It's like From Dusk Til Dawn. It starts out pretty well: A couple of crooks kidnap a family, then hide out at a bar. THEN Selma Hyak turns into a vampire! Who the hell wrote this script? From Dusk Til Dawn has got to be the worst movie ever made.

Ushgarak
And yet, oddly, it still appeared in that list when Tarantino fever was in full swing...

Well, personally I thought the acting in The Matrix was perfectly sufficient for the film. It wasn't Remains of the Day or anything...

Texas
I rented Magnolia last week, and I still dont know what that movie was about, I'm sure that little rapping kid raps out the theme of the movie, but I cant understand him, I need to rent the DVD and turn on subtitles.

FLIPMODE
WOOHOO!! Jurassic Park in the top 50!!

That's all I care about in that List. I dont hink JP is going anywhere, expect it to grow higher in the list, as movies like Gladiator will fall down. Think about it JP came out in 1993.

And though it's not a dramatic piece, based on the time this movie came out, it totally changed my expectations of movies to come, and it did change the average movie. And it's still great. Basically anyone who has respect for Jaws, should definitly have some respect for JP. They're more Like Horror Sci Fi, and camparing the two, I think JP is a heck of alot scarrier.

JediOasis
I couldn't agree more. Lucas himself said after seeing what could be done in JP he knew he wanted to make the new SW movies. It totally changed movie making almost the same way as the original SW.

Ushgarak
I didn't rate it much. It has been slowly falling in that list for years, anyhow.

King Jedi
I love JP. Liked Gladiator even though it rips off Braveheart and Fight Club is one of the best movies I've seen in a while.

I agree with what everyone said about The Matrix. If it is going to be on the list then it should be WAY down near the bottom.

Ushgarak
Judging by Empire readers you can expect to see it stay up top for a long time.

King Jedi
But this is the same people who had Tarantino's films in the top ten for a while and now they've slipped out. The same thing will happen to the Matrix.
Bullet time is becoming really boring and cliched and the Matrix doesn't have anything else to back it up.

Ushgarak
It's entirely possible. It certainly won't have Star Wars' longevity, but I suspect it will stay up there for longer than Tarantino, especially considering that Pulp Fiction stayed.

Texas
I just noticed Spice World is not on the list, this is a travesty laughing out loud

Viseus

King Jedi
The plot of Gladiator is a rip off of Braveheart which of course copied things from other films but anyway -

BRAVEHEART -
When Wallace is a kid his family are betrayed and murdered forcing him to run away from his country.

GLADIATOR -
Maximus is betrayed by his second in command and Commodus and forced to run away.

BRAVEHEART - Wallace's wife is killed and he seeks revenge.

GLADIATOR- Maximus wife and son are killed and he seeks revenge.

BRAVEHEART - Wallace rallies a small group of men to fight back.

GLADIATOR - Maximus does the same with the slaves.

BRAVEHEART - Wallace is romanticaly involved with the Princess who is supposed to on the side of the King.

GLADIATOR - Maximus is romantically involved with Connie Neilsons character who is supposed to be on the side of Ceaser.

BRAVEHEART - Wallace dies a heroic death in front of his enemies.

GLADIATOR - Maximus dies a heroic death in front of his enemies.

BRAVEHEART - Whilst he's dying he see's his wife.

GLADIATOR - Whilst he's dying he sees his wife and heaven.

BRAVEHEART - Wallace carries a piece of cloth that belonged to his wife.

GLADIATOR - Maximus carries a carved figure of his wife and son.

BRAVEHEART - All Wallace really wanted was to live a peacfull life with his family.

GLADIATOR - All Maximus really wanted was to live a peacfull life with his family.

BRAVEHEART - The King (badguy) is brutal to his family.

GLADIATOR - Ceasor (badguy) is brutal to his family and kills his own father.

BRAVEHEART - Wallace has a best freind who lives at the end. He throws Wallaces sword at the end to show respect for him.

GLADIATOR - Maximus has a best freind who lives at the end. He buries the carved figures to show respect for him.

BRAVEHEART - Wallace has an older man who guides him (his freinds dad), he dies.

GLADIATOR - Maximus has an older man who guides him (Oliver Reed), he dies.

BRAVEHEART - Wallace is used by politicians to change their situation.

GLADIATOR - Maximus is used by politicians to change their situation.

There is a site about this and I'll try and find it as I've forgot a lot.

Texas
Gladiator suxs!!!! Braveheart is kewl!!! smokin'

King Jedi
I can't find that site!!!! mad

But if you look for Gladiator reveiws you'll see that Braveheart is mentioned in nearly all of them because of the similarities between the two.

Ushgarak
There are obvious similarities, some were inevitable, somne less so.

I wouldn't go QUITE so far as to say it was an actual rip-off, though.

King Jedi
I would. But it's still a good film.

mah
OK, firstly:
next year, i hope requiem for a dream enters the list, it's one of the best films i've ever seen.

secondly: there is nothing to understand about From dusk till dawn; it sucked.

ToMacco
Wow! eek!

For the first time since I joined this place, I think everyone agrees with me on something: From Dust Til Dawn sucked a fat one!

Gladiator may not be a RIP OFF of Braveheart, but the two films are very similar. I couldn't beleive that the Oscar went to Gladiator, just six years after Braveheart.

Oscar Nominated films last year:
Gladiator
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Chocolat
Traffic
Erin Brocovich

MY NOMINATIONS WOULD HAVE BEEN:
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Chocolat
Cast Away
Traffic
Almost Famous

And I think the best film of the year (without question) was Traffic. It was a fascinating story of drugs and drug trafficing. It really made me think. For those who havn't seen this movie, I'd suggest you see it ASAP. A lot of my friends said it was too slow. But that's because a lot of my pals don't have the patients for a good story to unfold. Too many people are contempt with fast cars, explosions and some titties. I outgrew that years ago (although some action films are still entertaining).

Texas
Requiem for a Dream should be on the list! If it wasn't for it's NC-17 rating, it would of been more commercially received.

Ushgarak
Of course, anyone who enjoyed Traffic (something that is very easy to do) should also watch the tv series it was based on, which was even better.

ToMacco
I never saw the TV show. It was pretty good?

I don't really care for that much television. I can't stand all the comercial interuptions. I would like to see (Traffik, wasn't it spelled?)

mah
17, huh? well, in norway it was 15, so even school-classes watched it.

Ushgarak
Yes, it was very good, that;s why they madw a film out of it.

The drug chain in the original was Pakistan/Germany/UK, though, each country forming one of the three stories.

yerssot
And where is Everybody Famous????

JediOasis
I actually liked From Dusk Til Dawn, I thought it was good. Different, but good. And Almost Famous is one of the worst movies of all time. Jason Lee was the only good part of that movie.

yerssot
I was talking about the Flemish version, the original one, mind you and me, and all the others

Texas
I like dark depressing dramas, but Traffic was one of the most boaring movies I have ever seen!!! It was good, but my God it was so hard to stay awake. Drugs are boaring!

ToMacco
Traffic boaring? I don't think so. Slow moving, maybe. But interesting throughout.

Traffic had one of the most satisfying endings in motion picture history. Benicio del Toro's character agreed to coporate with the police on one condition: if they put lights up on a ball field, so that children could play at night instead of getting into trouble. He didn't want money. And the last shot is him sitting in the stands, as children played baseball at night, with the lights up. That part makes me reolize that there are really good people still out there. We're not just a world of A-holes trying to make money. del Toro was such a good guy in that movie.

Traffic: great movie. I don't care what anyone says. The American Film Institute named it best picture.

King Jedi
From Dusk Till Dawn would be okay if Tarantino wasn't in it. Does anyone else just want to punch that guy everytime you see him? He has one of those faces. And he can't act either.

Texas
I want to punch alot of people evil face

King Jedi
Do you have a list? evil face

ToMacco
I'd be careful, King Jedi, or you might become the guy on the top of his list!!! laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

King Jedi
Hey it's better than being at the bottom...........or is it? confused

ToMacco
That's tough. confused

yerssot
Well, if you are a girl you're not on the list.
Lucky Ush! big grin

Texas
*adds Yersott to list* evil face

Ushgarak
Well, I'll look forward to posting next year's list so we can compare.

Texas
I'm sure yerssot aka sourfoot, is towards the top of both our lists evil face

Ushgarak
Sigh... to clarify for others, I mean next year's Empire Top 50 list. Sadly, I will actually have to wait until next year to do that, of course.

King Jedi
AOTC and Lord of the Rings will be in it for sure.

Ushgarak
Don't be TOO sure about AOTC; Empire readers tend to be Jar-Jar haters who probably won't give Star Wars a chance again. Not all of them of course, but thewy are the loudest segment.

Possible, though.

King Jedi
That's because most Empire readers aren't in the age group that Jar Jar was really aimed at.

Ushgarak
Yup, and other similar reasons. SFX is worse, though, when it comes to TPM hatred. Empire itself rated the film rather well.

King Jedi
And they made enough money out of it. They published 3 different versions of the magazine the week it was released.

Hypernova
I'd probably have moved some higher than others in the list stick out tongue Good list.

BackFire
there's some crap on that list.

Gladiator should not be on the list at all, and One flew over the cuckoos nest should be way way way higher.

Bad list, but then again, the general public seem to like bad movies these days. So I don't know why I'm surprised.

Hypernova
OK, so, what would be YOUR Top 10, BackFire?

BackFire
List of what I consider the best movies ever.....

1. One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest
2. Paths of Glory
3. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
4. The Elephant Man
5. Requiem for a Dream
6. Star Wars
7. Full Metal Jacket
8. The Shining
9. Henry - Portrait of a Serial Killer
10. NeverEnding Story.

Kes
These days?blink This thread is over 2 years old.
Hyper you sure are digging up old threads...look at all this dust!!! *starts cleaning*

BackFire
2 years ago is still recent enough for me to consider it "these days"

I doubt the list would change much if they asked the people now rather then 2 years ago.

Then again, any list with gladiator on it loses all credibility as far as I'm concerned.

alic88
WHERE THE FU** IS TERMINATOR 2. i mean that atleast should b in the top 50

Philldwill
Umm, where are the LOTR movies? The Fellowship is the best movie of all time. I don't understand.

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Philldwill
Opps, I just realized those movies weren't out yet, my bad.

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.