The Emporer *POSSIBLY MAJOR SPOILERS*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

nephalim27
Isn't the Emporer's name Emporer Palpatine or am I losing my mind? If that's the case, is there any guess to who the Emporer/Darth Sidious(who looks just like Palpatine) is? Palpatine even looks like the Emporer himself...but the point of the thread is his name, not his looks.

Darth Jello
palpatine and sidious are one and the same, as for his first name...there are three schools of thought, 1. is that the original name for the emperor was cos Dashit. after a misprint on IMD people thought that his first name was still Cos. this is further made confusing by the fact that Cos may stand for chairman of the senate. 2. No one is sure if this came from a rough ep 1 draft or if this is Supershadows BS but some think his first name is Dantius. 3. the most popular point of view is that just like Dooku, Palpatine's first name has not yet been revealed.

yerssot
from all the canon and half-canon sources I saw/read/ ... I never heard about his first name and I doubt it will be revealed.

and yes, the emperor is palpatine if that was the question messed

Dirty Vader
*posts the exact same post as Yerssot*
+ if you saw this from supershadow, dont bother keeping it in your head,
because 99% of what he says is full of crap.

Darth Jello
exactly, thats what I said. Dantius does have a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

yerssot
so did Finnis, doesn't mean it's his name or that it will be revealed

mephistodesigns
finnis was terrance stamp's chancellor vellorum's first name. Is the point of this thread to discuss whether Palpatine and Sidious were one and the same? If it is, I'm pretty sure everybody could figure that out from the Phantom Menace trailers...

mephistodesigns
and i also agree with yerssot, outside of SS, I've never heard his first name mentioned.

finti
me neither

Darth Jello
IMDB mistakingly listed it as Cos for awhile, again repeat, rinse repeate the guy is sidious

Ushgarak
So... I guess this is pretty sorted. Anything useful to be added?

nephalim27
The actual question was whether the Emporer's (last) name is revealed as "Emporer Palpatine," way back in the first 3 movies I believe, as before I saw the first Star Wars Prequel I knew his (the emporer's) name is Palpatine.

As for whether they are the same person (the chancellor and the emporer,) that's obvious smile

Member.
thanks for stating the obvious.

mephistodesigns
i never heard the name Palpatine in the OT, its been in books though, and then in the PT. Lucas probably had it in one of the novelizations of the films.

finti
yes it was in the Novelization of ANH, Journal of the Whills prolouge to the book. I quote:
Aided by the restless, power hungry individuals of commerce, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people and to restore the remebered glory of the Republic.
Once secure in office he decleared himsel Emperor, shutting himself way from the populace
So his name has been there from the first novelization

Darth Jello
in the ep II dvd commentray (or was it ep 1?) lucas lets it slip that sidious is the emperor

finti
the fact that sideous is gonna be the emperor was clear from the first moment we saw him in TPM. I cant understand those who didnt see Palpatine and Sidious was the same person. It was so damn obvious

Rogue Jedi
i saw it right away...i was like "wait a damn minute...thats the emperor!!!!!"

mephistodesigns
thanks finiti, i knew it was in one of them but i couldn't remember.

And yeah, I don't think Lucas was even remotely trying to mask who palpatine and sidious are, anyone who even remotely follows the films and knows the back story Lucas has supplied (like the ones in the books like finiti posted) can see it. There was no reason to keep it a secret. If you weren't following any EU you might not be able to figure it out, but you would in ep3 anyway so it wouldn't matter.

Rogue Jedi
i know that my friend didnt see it...we were watching ep.1 when it came out on video and he started asking all these questions. he had no idea palpantine and the emperor were the same person.

Ushgarak
Worth noting, as that ANH novel stuff is mentioned (though GL didn't write that himself), that GL had the backstory with things like the Commerce Guild and Banking Clan and all that all the way back when he first came up with the story in the early/mid 70s. Like the name Mace Windu, it took him more than a quarter of a century to get those ideas on screen!

Rogue Jedi
all the star wars names are very original...do you know anyone named ki adi mundi or dex? or anakin?

Member.
GL is very original.

mephistodesigns
how much of the PT's did he have planned out? they show his notes on the yellow pads in the PM DVD extras, I froze them to see and it had stuff about Anakin being a slave. He says he never had the play by play written out, but he certainly had the major events and a timeline for them in his head. I would love to just sit and pick his brain for a few hours, he knows tons of history, religions, philosopy and all the creativity he has is just astounding.

Member.
Peter is another one that's good. He made LOTR Trilogy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.