Who does the Prophecy Apply to, Luke or Anakin?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

vvvrulz
Was it Luke or Anakin?

Darth Jello
anakin, luke just needed to remind him of his purpose. palpatine's force lightning was powerful enough to make vader's bones glow, only the chosen one could survive an onslaught like that

Ushgarak
Yup, GL confirms Anakin.

Anakin could not have done it without Luke, though. This in no way reduces Luke's importance. But the one the Prophecy refers to is Anakin.

yerssot
Anakin, as everyone already said ... I'm slow today

Complicated
Yup - Anakin. He brought balance to the force not by balancing anything, but by elminating half of that which he was supposed to be balancing. Hrm... confused

Rascal
Anakin I think

vvvrulz
Yeah that probably confirms it. In the end it was Vadar that took down the emperor.

Darth Revan
Anakin. He did after all kill the emperor, which restored balance to the force. The prophecy never told how it would be done, just that it would happen.

Ushgarak
Sorry, but the simple canon truth is that Balance could only be restored by eliminating the Sith- there was no other way. This Anakin did.

finti
and by eliminating the emperor he also got rid of all the siths, the elimination of the emp killed Vader too. Thus no more siths thus balance of the force

Dirty Vader
I dont know, I use to think it would turn up to be luke but if you all say that its anakin and Lucas confirmed it, then it must be it.

Ushgarak
GL did indeed.

"The Phantom Menace refers to the force of the dark side of the Universe. Anakin will be taken over by dark forces which in turn destroy the balance of the Galaxy, but the individual who kills Emperor is Darth Vader - also Anakin.

The tale meanders and both the prediction, and Qui-Gon are correct - Anakin is the chosen one, and he did bring peace at last with his own sacrfice. Luke couldn't kill the Emperor himself, but he could make Anakin reflect on his life and kill the Emperor. "

mephistodesigns
the reason killing the sith brings balance (because i was confused about this as well) is because the Jedi live their lives in tune with the force, with its natural flow and balance. The Sith on the other hand, only use the force for control and to gain power, which is not accepting the natural flow of life, but in fact impeading it. Thus the Sith throw off the natural balance of the Force and life by the way in which they use the force. This idea was briefly touched on in the Episode 2 DVD commentary, that's where he said the jedi live with life while the sith try to run it.

finti
an interesting spoiler from TFN
You heard the spoiler that Yoda discovers that if you kill the master the apprentice will fall, right? It isn't that whenever you kill a master the apprentice dies no matter what. Rather what Yoda learns on Kashykk, apparently, is that the prophecy states that the Dark Lord of the Sith will be defeated by the Chosen One, and when he is defeated his apprentice too shall fall.
Of course this is exactly what happens. Vader kills Sidious, but in so doing is also killed, thus bringing balance to the force

Darth Jello
ok, this is my own theory so bare with me. The books and lucas have all referred to the dark side of the force as a perversion. In other words, when jedi use the force they act in tandem to its will, they listen to it and command at the same time, as obi-wan stated in ANH. dark side users attempt to control the force by agrressively channeling it. this is easier than acting in tandem because it requires less control and concentration but at the same time this has adverse effects on their mental state, making them selfish and greedy, and also takes a toll on their physical bodies as seen with sidious. If you think of the force as a tight bedsheet you see that it flows smoothly. forcing it against its will creates humps and fluctuations or "disturbances". enough of these are created naturally by calamities and by dark jedi (or pathetic sith wannabees). The sith however are so powerful in their knowledge of the dark side that their very existance throws the force out of balance creating huge rifts. The force was full of these throught their existance and when a powerful sith named sidious began to use the dark side he managed to create a large hump or blind spot over the jedi. By destroying the sith, anakin destroyed these rifts and brought the force back into balance.

finti
pretty good metaphoric there DJ,. bed sheets laughing out loud
Good thinking though

Rogue Jedi
it applied to annie...when he fell to the dark side, it fell upon luke to HELP him fulfill the prophecy, which luke did.

godfather

yerssot
GL explained it himselsf,
the end with only one jedi left was just ... fate

Ushgarak
Indeed, killing Jedi has nothing to do with bringing Balance.

Darth Jello
yes, but killing sith does.

godfather
who says that killing the jedi had nothing to do with bringing balance to the force?

mephistodesigns
yeah.
Darth Jello that kicked @$$. Its basically what I said but very much improved on. Good metaphors.

Darth Jello
slightly off topic, but do you think that the physical decay of dark siders is due to corruption or destruction of midichlorians? I mean blasting lightning can't be all that good for you.

mephistodesigns
It was explained in Dark Empire, they said that its just the physical wear and tear that results from controlling the force the way the Sith do, its very draining to the body, and plus, it is often used for death and destruction and being that close to such dark forces so often, eats away at the body's life force.

Dirty Vader
Finaly, someone other than me who likes refering to EU. Good on ya. You mean when the emperor loses control of his giant force storm and then destroys his own ship in the process?

Ushgarak
Tum te tum- not very relevant...

And pretty much GL said that, Godfather. He said how it worked. The Sith cause the imbalance. Removing them restores it.

This seems all done; GL says it is Anakin and that is that.

Closing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.