Who exactly is Palpatine? (theories welcome)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Jello
Ok, so i guess nothing on this board can ever be considered a spoiler because I doubt Lucas will ever officially reveal exactly who his evil creation is.

So with that in mind, the purpose of this is for everyone to offer their speculation on who palpatine is, where he came from and what made him what he is.
i agree with several people who think that he was a residet of naboo who was identified by the jedi as having a midichlorian count nearly as high as yoda's. his parents loved him so much that they refused to hand him over. as a child he admired the jedi and longed to be one. resenting his parents for their decision, he asked the council to have him with their reluctant permission. he was rejected by the jedi council because of his age and his great anger at his parents. At this time he was discovered by a Sith, either on coruscant or naboo. the rest we pretty much know.

What are your theories?

VengeanceGOD
Young boy on Naboo is right, but I'm guessing he was missed by the Jedi. Otherwise they would have known that their Supreme Chancellor had massive potential in the force. He probably had some hugely tramatic event as a child, turning him completely to the dark, after which he was discovered by a Sith master looking for an apprentice.

finti
as for the film forums we dont know too much about Palpatine besides that he was the senator representing Naboo. The rest of it is EU info and belongs in the EU section

yerssot
pfff! if the jedi knew about him they would never let him be a politician, certainly not an emperor like in AOTC, they're not stupid, they know they should pay attention to this, certainly after the sith returning!

Swordfish2k0
Perhaps even as a child Paplatine was so powerful he could cloud his existence from the Jedi

yerssot
so... a child already had plans to kill off all the jedi, get one to do all his dirty work and become an emperor?
at what? the age of 4?

Swordfish2k0
Hey! Lay off it ok!....no i simply thought he may be able to cloud himself from the jedi that doesn't mean he was evil or had any mass plans for the jedi, even at a young age he may have decided he didn't want to be a jedi and was able to hide himself from them....

yerssot
easy there, I wasn't bashing you or anything, just poking some fun smile

well, biggest point is that he still had to get his sith training and therefor the jedi for some reason didn't saw him or something
but I doubt that as a kid he already had the power to conceil himself
the jedi just can't check every plan once a year for new members and such

Swordfish2k0
Yeah true enough i see your point. Maybe at a young age he was identified by the Sith and trained whilst he was young. So maybe the Sith disguised him from the Jedi, any way its unlikely that the Jedi could sense every force user in the Galaxy!

finti
in which Anakin is a prime example

imhotep
But a Sith lord, strolling around in Naboo just seems a little far fetched.
I go with him being powerfull with the force, and after researching Jedi/Sith history he was tempted by the Dark Side. Rmember, if the Sith were wiped out, there would be a serious unbalance in the force. I think the Dark Side reached him first

Ushgarak
He was trained by the Sith Master before him, that's all we know.

finti
exactly

imhotep

mephistodesigns
I agree totally. We don't really need to know. Its not neccessary to the plot. We know for certain that the last Sith Lord killed him. Beyond that are endless possibilities of how that came to be.

mephistodesigns
I'm sorry, let me type that the right way...

We know for certain the last Sith Lord FOUND him.

weird typo...

yerssot
we DO know that he was trained and picked by a sith lord!
"Always two there are, a master and an apprentice"
and he became the master later on, and picked his first apprentice

mephistodesigns
and that's really all the pertenant information we recquire isn't it? I mean, I'm all for digging into these films, but thats one area that I thing is meant to just be comprehended by understanding the rule of the Sith, as Yerssot pointed out.

Darth Jello
keep in mind that he can cloud people's perceptions of him, he may be much much older than we think

GABRIEL05
Well it was said that he was ambitious stick out tongue

GABRIEL05
Well I dunno about "canon",but as far as EU, which has no place here mind you roll eyes (sarcastic) ,the sith always had existed, only in extreme secrecy waiting for the right time to strike out and destroy the jedi. I think he was sensed by a sith, at some point in his life, seduced and taught the ways. When he realized he was more powerful, or simply became more ambitious, he destroyed his master and found an apprentice.

yerssot
it's always "tradition" that the apprentice kills his master

Ushgarak
We DO know it- GL says as such, describing the cycle of Master and Apprentice.

Ushgarak
This is untrue. Wiping out the Sith does NOT create an unbalance in the Force- the exact opposite is true. The Sith CREATE imblance; their destruction removes it.

Darth Revan
Here's my theory. Palpatine grew up on Naboo and was missed by the Jedi. It is likely that he resented the republic and the jedi for some reason. He was the first to realize that the republic was too strong to be overthrown by sheer force, as had been tried countless times before. He knew that it would have to be done from the inside. So, he became a senator at a fairly young age (I'd guess around 17) and somehow met with a Sith master, was accepted and was accepted as an apprentice. He became Sidious. He killed his master, like most Sith, and took on the infant Maul as his apprentice. When Maul was old enough, he started using him against the Jedi. He became supreme chancellor, and you know the rest.

Ddave_73
ok guys the speculation is over I know teh real deal behind old palpatine

see he went to the same school as me so i know

he was very bad at sports and had no luck with girls . he was good at science and maths and was ok at geography . when he got to the age of about 13 he saw the 1st star wars movie . after that he invented a time machine . after making a few movies about his time machine he decided it was time to sort out teh crappy star wars movie george lucas made .. sooo (gasps for air) he goes back in time to when lucas was a young boy . he became georges best friend and he slowly but surely influenced the outcome of the movie that resulted from these childhood chats georg had with palpatine .. anyhoo after a few years of pretending to liek george he went back to the future .. so the future is different george lucas uses him in his movie yet he has no clue that this was the kid who gave him all the best ideas fro teh star wars moviesall those years ago .. the anger grows and hate takes over he is now the evil emporer he decideds to sell his time machine to spielberg and spends the cash on some very high grade narcotics (this is why he looks like shit later on in the movies) anyway I hope i have cleared things up for you guys ... you guys were way off sith huh no way call yourselves star wars nerds too hehe

mephistodesigns
laughing
yeah, that is pretty much the level of a lot of these theories...

Darth Jello
Nah, I'm just a pretty depressed guy who occasionally likes to escape reality, my own problems, and the predictetorial state of our nation.

godfather

Darth Jello
Bane survived, and he spawned the new sith who lived under the jedi's nose, whatever technique clouds sidious clouded them.

godfather

Maul
was Darth Bane his master?
nah, Bane was the last remaining Sith about that battle.
but palpatine/sidious seems to be that old... nah...
i agree about the naboo boy/sith discovered him/trained up/became evil etc... then he killed his master...
nah, whatever

Darth Jello
the new sith order was about pacience. Sidious struck because of a framework of corruption in the senate and other governing council first set into motion by his hidden sith predecessors. He did it because the timing was right, his plan was flawless, and he was possibly the most powerful sith in existance

Darth Jello
for those who do not agree with the above statement We shall see who runs away in the next movie, yoda or sidious

mephistodesigns
yeah godfather, the Jedi BELIEVED the Sith to be extinct. But they had to wait for a time to strike. They spent the last 1,000 years passing on information, gathering intelligence, and most likely a lot of wealth. For all we know, Palpatine might not ACTUALLY be from Naboo, if the Sith gathered enough wealth and used a few well placed mind tricks, they could very easily set him up as a Senator. But, the Sith were definetly alive for the past 1000 yrs and were in fact doing something: carefully and meticulously piecing together (as much as I hate to admit) a really brilliant scam to overthrow the Jedi and take over the Republic.

yerssot
I think he really came from Naboo, but like said, a nice set-up to gain power

nickysan
OMFG IT SAYS ON THE BACK OF THE BOX OF THE EPISODE ONE DVD AND/OR VIDEO THAT PLAPATINE IS SIDIOUS WHO THEN BECOMES THE EMPEROR!!!!! you think palp just woke up one day and could shoot force lighting uhhh NO he is a sith lord but gives his title as sith lord to vader cuz he has to tend to his dutys and emperor. come on ppl commmon sence!

Darth Jello
I think that the sith were responsible for the corruption. Darth Bane probably came up with the blueprints and all the sith followed them, improvising when necesary. Palpatine just sped up the process and added to its framework the whole concept of an empire and the minor violation of the law of two by allowing sith wannabe dark side adepts and dark jedi to serve as servants and assassins.

I do believe palpatine is from naboo but I think he is much much older than anyone thinks

finti
Sidious uses his sith force ability to hide his true identity, Palpatine was a necessary act to come into power. He never gave a way his sith lord to annyone, Palpatine/Sidious is the sith master. Vader was his apprentice. The Lord title seems to follow with beeing a sith..I guess

yerssot
btw, the back of a box is in no way canon you know

Darth Jello
they are all sithlords the plain sith are extinct. (read the early EU for an explanation). the master is usually referred to as the "Dark lord". That's why no one calls vader a "Dark lord" in any of the movies

Rogue Jedi
finti said it...all sith have the title lord...lord vader, lord maul, whatever. jedi MASTER:master kenobi, master windu, master skywalker, etc: Sith LORD:lord maul, lord vader, etc; A DARK LORD OF THE SITH. not a sith MASTER, a sith LORD.

MASTER AND LORD. simple.

yerssot
actually, to do some nitpicking, Kenobi never became a jedi master, he was master as in, he had a student

Maul
darth sidious's master was darth imperius. his apprentice after darth maul was darth rage. its on db101.

yerssot
please read this: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f38/t20461.html
no EU crap in this section please

mephistodesigns
and besides maul, that stuffs not even true inthe EU. Where'd you read that? Supershadow? he's the only one I've heard spreading the whole Darth Rage crap. That was the name Lucas was toying with before Tyranous, and even that is an unconfirmed rumor.

VengeanceGOD
Actually, we don't know that. Basically (and we know this from the movies, so it fits your precious canon) you have to train a padawan to knighthood to be considered a master. Anakin COULD face the trails and succeed in Episode 3.

yerssot
that's what YOU think

it's quite clear that humans have no idea how the order works!
they call Anakin a master in AOTC!
how on earth can you know then that OB1 (and in ANH he says he's a jedi KNIGHT and not a jedi MASTER) was a master in rank? he was a master cause he had an apprentice!

btw... in EpIII, Anakin will already be a knight, according to a pic of the behind the helmet series

VengeanceGOD
Well then that would, according to Episode I, technically make Obi-Wan a master. The reason we know this is because it says Qui-Gon Jinn reached mastery when he trained his first apprentice. And I don't think they ever refer to Anakin as a Jedi Master...maybe just as "Master Anakin" or "Master Jedi", which is just a mark of respect, not an actual rank.

mephistodesigns
3po is the only one I heard call him "master". Sio Bibble called him "master jedi". I think it comes into play when people outside the order refer to them as Master, its out of respect since they don't know much about the order. Although, Yoda calls Obi-wan master as well. But we do know from the OT that Obi-wan was only a Knight, which pretty much implies any use of master comes from a general term of respect.

yerssot
no, OB1 is clearly a Jedi Knight as Yoda says in TPM
and where did you get that QGJ became a master when he trained his first apprentice? as far as canon sources go, we have no indication if OB1 is his first one or not

yes, Sio does call him Master Jedi, not just Jedi, but MASTER jedi, when he still was a padawan, which Padme immediatly pointed out! it shows they don't know anything about the order, if they don't, how can an alien on an isolated world outside the republic know if OB1 is a master or not? (Taun We: "And this is jedi master ..." -OB1: "Obi-Wan Kenobi"wink

there is just NO proof, not by a long shot, that you automaticly become a master when you succesfully train a padawan!

Ushgarak
I think we are drifting off-topic here...

VengeanceGOD
I swear, I found it somewhere in Episode I, and I'm pretty sure it's canon. Let me do a little bit of hunting-there IS a chance that I'm wrong, of course.

Julie
Palpatine....hmmm.....just another man to be consumed by the lure of the dark side

mephistodesigns
and that pretty much sums it up to a T doesn't it?

and Vengence, that was never ever mentioned in the movies. It was only addressed in the novels and quite vaguely. I think the only mention of Qui-gon having another apprentice was in the young jedi knights books. possibly in the Ep 1 novel which I've only skimmed so I could have easily missed it.

VengeanceGOD
Oh ok. Maybe I got it from the novelization. (Which is technically canon, but oh well.)

yerssot
it's not in the novel
it's from another book and therefor irrelevant

VengeanceGOD
Not irrelevant, just not canon. There's a rather large difference.

Dirty Vader
Large difference indeed.

finti
in the film discussion which this is if it aint canon IT IS IRRELEVANT

yerssot
yup, finti is right

please read this:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f38/t20461.html
before commenting any further

Dirty Vader
Dont you start Yerssot. mad

mephistodesigns
look, even though i agree with you Dirty, the rules of the form say this is film only. Its on a film site not starwars.com. they keep EU out not to knock it, but because it contradicts itself occasionally which makes it unreliable and easily debatable. Which wastes time we could be analyzing the film, which is the only for sure indicator of what Lucas will do since its the only stuff word for word from his mouth.

yerssot
if you don't like these simple rules which are respected by everyone HERE and elsewhere, I'm not holding you if you want to start a thread in the EU section about EpIII!

Dirty Vader
Look guys, what I meant is we know about the rules and that mod note on top of all the film sections. We dont need another reminder.

Believe it or not it was meant to be a comical remark even though it sounded like an attack. Sorry Yerssot.

yerssot
that's ok, I'm just annoyed by some people not comming to their senses

finti
ver well put Mephistodesign .THUMBS UP AND 6 on a dice (In Norway the press uses a dice to rate films,albums, books and so on so 6 is the perfect score.)

nickysan
ok half the reason i like star wars is the whole jedi and shith history, philosophy, ect. and i've read all there is to know about the two. after bane (who the jedi thought was dead with all the others) the next pair of sith we know are only sidious and maul. after maul dies sidious knows he dosen't have enough time to train another apperentice fully so he gets dooku (tyrannus). there is no others mentioned. and the only sith that have "darth" in there name where those 4. it was a title bane came up with. yea i know its in Knights has "darth" reven and malak but those ppl dont know sheit about the EU so they wouldn't know.and if you think about it its dead fu**in' obvious that sidious and palapatine are the same person. end of story, so you can just close the thread now!

yerssot
not a bad idea, since everyone and you included uses EU CRAP here all the time!

the history of the sith and jedi is unknown we only have a reference to Bane in the EpI Novel and that's about it!

Maul
okay, soz... didnt c that thread... oops...

VengeanceGOD
Maybe you should say "EU Stuff" instead of "EU crap" if you're not knocking the EU. I keep wanting to jump up and scream "THE EU IS NOT CRAP!" before I realize you're not saying it is. smile

As for the whole EU/Canon debate, I still think EU things should be allowed to be referenced in the debates, as long as their posted as not necessarily canon. The EU can still be very useful in illustrating a point (especially since a lot of EU writers are much BETTER writers that George. smile )

finti
EU can never illustrate a point about the movies, there are contradictions between the movies and EU which makes makes EU a bogus source. Regardless if some EU authors are better writers than GL, so was Shakespear wink

yerssot
well, VengeanceGOD, until you can convince LucasFilm of this (perhaps eventually it will happen), EU is out of the discussion

but can we please stop the EU-debate and return to the topic?

Darth Jello
ok, palpatine being sidious Was not my intent when i start this thread (A F!#king four year old can tell). I wanted people to use evidence from the movies and movie novelizations, along with that imagination thing that's contained within that gray, fatty, electrolitic thing within our skulls. Since this has come down to petty bickering about the sith and other off topic stuff like whether the EU is true (IMHO, if it tells a good story and fits characterization, it's cannon ex.-cloak of deception is cannon, splinter of the minds eye is not)...again that's not the point of this thread.

If you feel like debating the EU thing, divide into team kirk and team piccard, and settle this with a geeky plastic lightsaber fight. losers have to give up their entire collection of star trek memorabilia, ninja turtle action figures, and golden and silver age comics. the celebrity judge will be Mickey Suttle, his mom can't pick him up so anyone who doesn't have a problem with giving a 47 year old overweight virgin shut-in a ride home shall do so.

Now Either stick to the topic or go fight like geeks!!!

finti
if you like debating EU go to the EU section of the Star Wars forum

finti
we know palpatine is the emperor from the OT, also that the emperor is Vaders master. whenever we see the emp in the OT he got his own little musical theme, a haunting darkened type of music. The excact same tune is played when Sidious is talking to the Trade federation dudes in the holographic scene in TPM, so the same "personal" tune for Sideous and the emp well............ damn where is Watson when you really need to slap someone with evidence

VengeanceGOD
Yeah, technically, calling him Emperor Palpatine is an EU thing that made it's way into the movies, like the name of Coruscant. In the OT, we NEVER heard his real name. Hence the people who really want to believe that they're not the same person, and Lucas is throwing us for a loop. While a twist like that would be rather cool, I don't expect it to happen.

finti
Lucas had the name Coruscant, he allowed the author to use it in the novel, but the name is his making. About the emperor you are right we doesnt get his name at all in the movies, it is however provided in the Novel of ANH in the journals of the whills, but as it is semi canon we leve it with it

Ushgarak
I agree with Vengeance God, actually; you can use the EU to try and illustrate points so long as you do not try and make out they are hard facts. I refuse to dismiss an opinion simply BECAUSE it is EU. I simply won't accept it as a fact just because it is EU either.

DJ, your opinion on what is and is not canon is no more relevant than your opinion of the colour of the sky; it is how it is regardless of what you think it is. It's not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact. Feel free to have an opinion on what canon SHOULD be, but opinions will not change what it is.

Personally I will be very happy for Palpatine's origins to be forever in mystery; he is a Sith after all.

VengeanceGOD
You're contradicting what you said in the other topic, but oh well. wink And actually, the name Coruscant was chosen in Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire trilogy. Initially, Lucas had only called it "Imperial Center." After pressure from the fans, he gave in and called it Coruscant. (This was in Star Wars Insider, so please don't try and tell me I'm wrong.)

yerssot
no, HE was the one who called it coruscant, imperial city (as far as I understand it) is the center of the power of the emperor on coruscant

Zahn had to ask permission to name the planet and such (cause it was going to be used in the PT)

VengeanceGOD
I'm sorry man, but you're wrong on this one. The name Lucas gave it was Imperial Center. Coruscant came out of the EU. This is well documented elsewhere.

Ushgarak
Sorry, wasn't GL's original name for the Imperial Centre Had Abaddon?

VengeanceGOD
Possibly. Either way, it wasn't Coruscant.

Ushgarak
Ah, here we are. I spelt it wrong, and my use of the word 'original' is also suspect. From the OS:

"The earliest incarnation of Coruscant appeared in the rough draft scripts of Star Wars, when the Imperial capital world was known as Alderaan. Subsequent rewrites briefly changed its name to Granicus before dropping it from the A New Hope storyline altogether.
The Imperial capital world was resurrected in the draft scripts for Return of the Jedi, this time as Had Abbadon. The script described a city-covered planet plagued by pollution and home to the Emperor's throne. Practical considerations of realizing this planet on screen, as well as the evolving storyline of Episode VI, resulted in the capital world again being abandoned.

Author Timothy Zahn gave Coruscant its name in his 1991 novel, Heir to the Empire. When it came time to finally unveil the galactic capital on the big screen in the revamped ending of the Return of the Jedi Special Edition release, Lucas adopted the name Coruscant."

yerssot
I stand corrected

Rogue Jedi
i think ush is right. i have heard the name "had abbadon" before.

nickysan
abbadon is the leader of the chaos space marines in war hammer 40k, thats what the name is most known from. maby thats where you heard it. any 40k ppl here?

Rogue Jedi
nah, i heard it as a reference to star wars.

Rogue Jedi
40k.....warhammer 40,000? hell yeah!!!! it rox hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VengeanceGOD
40k kicks ass, but that's off topic so let's not start. smile

Ushgarak
Well, yes, as posted above, it was the name of the Imperial homeworld in the early ROTJ drafts.

Darth Jello
homer simpson says had abbodon when he is raving like a lunatic in "The Shinning" episode of tree house of horrors. as for he name debate, I thought it was called coruscant under the republic, but the empire changed the name of the planet to imperial city. BTW, an Idea i'd like to throw out. the december issue of insider said that yoda new about the law of two because the jedi discovered bane's writings and may have even killed off a master and apprentice (or so they thought) shortly after Lord Kaan's sith insurection. based on some spoilers about palpatine's appearance in episode 3, do any of you think it's possible that he is several hundred years old and maybe only a fifth or sixth generation sith after bane?

Peloquin
just a question....is Sidious the "jedi" who ordered the clone army to be made? and is he the 'jedi' who deleted the archive files? did he have anything to do with the death of master cipher dias (spelling?) Somewhere in there has Sidious been playing the part of a jedi too?

I should say too that I'm new to this forum and if these questions have been discussed before and flamed then....(runs and hides).

Darth Jello
it was either dooku or some dark jedi in the temple, I doubt it could have been sidious in the temple. I also think sifo-dyas died prior to episode 1 in some unrelated incident

Peloquin
yeah cool I guess they never really pointed to a time line in where the info in the archive was erased. I also heard, although I guess it would have to be EU but kinda fits in this thread, that Sidious gets into the cloning somwhere along the line. After we see him killed in RotJ his "spirit" travels into another clone and he kicks on a bit. Might tie in with the cloners from ep2 or at least tie Sidious to them a little more.

Darth Jello
i personaly don't buy the cloning crap. I just htink he is more powerful than any being in the force

Darth Jello
except anakin

VengeanceGOD
Nah, Anakin's not as powerful as Sidious. Why do you think he needed Luke in order to destroy the Emperor?

Darth Jello
he needed luke to remind him of his true purpose and self, you will see in episode 3 that anakin is more powerful

VengeanceGOD
No, I was referring to Vader offering Luke a place at his side after they destroy the emperor in ESB. But I'll wait and see what you're talking about.

Dirty Vader
But remember Anakin and Vader are not the same (Vader is more powerful). Without a doubt Emp Palpy is more powerful than Ani but maybe not more powerful than Vader even though he commands him.
What vengeance meant about vader needing luke to destroy the emperor was that in ESB, vader wants luke to join him.
"We can destroy the emperor, he has forseen this, it is your destiny"

But this argument can also be contradicted since it seems to be a tradition that when a sith apprentice finds an apprentice of his own, he overthrows his master and takes his place. That's why there are always only two sith. So vader needed an apprentice before attempting to overthrow Palpy, that doesent meen he was incapable of taking him on by himself but that he wanted to insure he would have an apprentice after that.

mephistodesigns
vader is the potential Anakin would have reached had he progressed in the proper training time of the Jedi. the dark side is just a quicker way to your ultimate power, not the only way.

finti
hmm he never said we I think this is what Vader said
"Luke. You can destroy the Emperor. He has foreseen this. It is
your destiny. Join me, and we can rule the galaxy as father and son.
Come with me. It's the only way."

Guess GL had not thought of the two sith rules at this time
Even so, Vader is trying to sow a seed of conflict with a wounded and vulnerable Luke, Vader might however be tempted by this thought of having Luke by his side though.

Darth Jello
vader needs luke because their must always be a master and an apprentice. sidious has a hold on vader through the dark side. only when he turns back to the light can vader destroy sidious

yerssot
finti is right, it's "you can" smile

Dirty Vader
Yeah sorry, didnt mean to do that. "You can"

Darth Jello
according to a twenty year old interview on the prequals at the shadow of the sith site, in an earlier draft, Beru Lars was supposed to be related to palpatine.

yerssot
with the story as we know it now, it hardly will surprise anyone that everyone in the star wars galaxy is related to eachother wink

finti
well it started with adam and eve

VengeanceGOD
Mace Windu is Lando's daddy. After all, they ARE the only two black people in Star Wars. smile

mephistodesigns
no, there was that random pilot in ROJ who yells "she's gonna blow!" or is it "its gonna blow!". anyway, theres 3 so ha! wink big grin
unless he's related to them too....

Dirty Vader
More than that. You forgote captain panaka and one of the endor reblel commandos that we see in the home one briefing room in ROTJ. And there's also a black guy in the bar in AOTC with two women who gazes at anakin while he's searching for zam.

yerssot
yeah, and captain Typho... but Typho is the nephew of Panaka messed

Lyn
Isn't that guy he looks at Ahmed Best...A.K.A Jar Jar Binks??

yerssot
yes, same dude
the other cameo there is from Anthony Daniels

VengeanceGOD
Allright, my bad. There's FIVE black people in the Star Wars universe. smile

yerssot
and we probably didn't spot some others yet wink

VengeanceGOD
lol. FINE! JUST RUIN MY JOKE THEN! Sheesh. wink

yerssot
we at the KMC department don't laugh at jokes stick out tongue

Darth Jello
Where the hell did this all come from? that's enough. finti, or someone who knows how. close the forum.

VengeanceGOD
The entire forum?

Darth Jello
yes, enough is enough. You try to have an intelligent discussion and people just start blabbing about stupid things. Smart tangents are ok but race in star wars? I think chasing amy covered that pretty well. close the damn forum

mephistodesigns
the forum refers to the whole episode 3 discussion area. this is called a thread. would you like him to still close the "forum"?

Darth Jello
thread, whatever, close it, or tell me how

VengeanceGOD
lol. You know dude, you can't take a joke very well. I don't think Star Wars is racist or anything like that, it's just an old joke to say that Lando and Mace are the only black people in the galaxy.

yerssot
just watched ESB ... (well, before the CL) and there is a black security guy when Lando walks to Han... now HE could be family wink

finti
back on topic

mephistodesigns
maybe that's the big revelation in episode 3, Palpatine is really black! and bleached his skin like Mike! AND he's Mace's father! laughing

Darth_Nefarus
Dantius Palpatine was a young man on Naboo who was approached by Darth Imperius. Palpatine showed some incredible potential, but he was no where near Yoda's skill, or Midichlorian count.
He eventually found one of the legendary Kyber crystals (the one seen around his neck in ROTJ) and used it to destroy his master and begin his plan for conquering the galaxy.

cornponious
I don't recall seeing anything around his neck in that movie, mickey.

corn

Darth_Nefarus
Check the movie again, also look at episode 2, Dooky has a lesser powerful kyber crystal around his neck. They're very small, apperaing to be jewelry

yerssot
please do not state EU or fanfics as canon

Xam
wat about u shut up mickey(no offence if your not him).

Darth_Nefarus
I'm not mickey, and none taken. I just read alot of interviews with George Lucas
he's the one who originally mentioned the kyber crystals

yerssot
and it's not said in the movies, nor the radio dramas nor the novelisation, nor has GL ever said they were in the movie

in other words: it's NOT canon, so don't mention them already

darktim1
I was wondering maybe palpatine had two personallities one good and bad like one was trying to fight off the other just thought for now bye.

Sith Master X
Possibly, but Palpy is pure evil now. He does a good job at trying to hide it though.

SMX
cool

Darth KickAss
This story about there always only being 2 Siths - Master and apprentice does not realy make sence! How much compition could the sith have been in the past if there were only 2 at any stage?

If there was only suppose to be 2 siths at any time how many generations of sith would there have been in the 1000 years.

And if it is true that there where siths in that 1000 years, what did they do? Because they were totally inactive or extinct according to the jedi.

Darth KickAss
Palpy's powers must be very strong if you think that he had to life under the noses of the jedi without being caught.

Wonder, maybe Darth Sidiouse is a totally different person from Palpy! And Palpy is under control of Sidious's - This would be an exiting turn in the story! Darth Tyranus did say that the sinate was under control of a Sith Lord...

finti
Palpatine and Sidious are the same person, Palpatine is Sidious disguise. Rumors are that we will see how Sidious uses the disguise in Ep III

Darth KickAss
The movies has not shown / proofed that yet. Although i think that you are right - but it would be a nice twist if they where 2 different people.

Jedi Priestess
not gonna happen blink

Gorgoroth
I think it should be that Darth Sidious is Palpatines' alias... smile
Wouldn't that make ore sense, since Darth Vader is Anakins' alias.... confused eh?

PVS
perhaps i skipped over a post pondering this,
but is it possible that sidious was also conceived by the force?
perhaps he was created by the darkside, inherently evil, a reincarnation
perhaps?

in the PT, mention is made of the "will of the force".
we are to assume from quigon that it was that 'will' that created anakin, right?
should we also assume that the 'will' is of the light side? (since the jedi seem to trust and follow it, that is) if so, then it would stand to reason that the dark side would have its own will...

ahh hell, its not like lucas will ever explain it, so its anyone's guess.
but make no mistake, palpatine is nothing more that a "good guy disguise" for sidious. that disguise will wear away as we see the corrosion in palps' eyes, skin, teeth, etc. ala RotJ. he was already looking pretty strung out in AotC wasn't he?

shaber
I think he was taken by the Sith very early on indeed.

Darth Ravenous
i heard he found holocrons when he was a kid or somthing i dunno ill ask my friend he said he knew how this happend

yerssot
(prologue: ranking of canon sources:
GL > movies > novels of the movies/radiodramas etc. )

check the Ep II DVD, see the movie with the commentary, I believe GL mentioned Palpatine being Sidious around three times... you can't really miss it

Darth Jello
rick mccallum says it blatantly constantly too. and according to lucas on episode 1 commentary, we saw sidious fro the first time in ESB

Lord of Sith 1
i know he is a sith but where is his light saber

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>