The Matrix Online [merged]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mist
i dont know if anyone has already made a thread for this, but oh well.

Has anyone seen this game? It looks awesome!

But, as with most MMORPG's these days theres a subscription.

so, anyone gonna get this game? comes out in 2004!

Mist
i got a screenshot from the site:

Mist
nice eh?

Mist
here:

BackFire
I'm guessing it will be mediocre like ETM, though it could be very good if done properly... or very terrible, we'll have to wait and see I guess. I'm pretty sure of one thing though, there will be better MMORPG's coming out over the next few months, and I don't know how much longer merchandise can simply rely on the matrix name to be successful, people will tire of it soon.

SaTsuJiN
well, I heard you trade 'techniques' like trading cards, which I ultimately find pretty gay. if they really work on the animation and the special effects, people might overlook the gameplay (which would probably be the best thing for them). Basically Im not drooling over the game, but am waiting to see the final inevitably disappointing product to come.

VENOMfan
it's a huge mmorpg, the wachowski's apparently desinged this one as well, but are not basing it on the movies. its much like city of heros but with a matrix theme((leather and sunglasses))

http://thematrixonline.warnerbros.com/screenshot.html

well it could be good or bad...............

BackFire
If done properly and not rushed, it could be very good. We'll just wait and see. There are other more exciting MMORPG's on the horizen though.

tptmanno1
You have to pay for it though!!
I'm not gonna do that!

JKozzy
Think about it. You go to a movie theater. A ticket, on average, is about 8 bucks. (9 here) You get a soda, which is about 4 bucks, and popcorn, that's another 3.50. Add that up, and you've got $16.50. The Matrix Online, or any other MMORPG that u pay for is less than that. If you go to the movies twice in a month, that still adds up to about $16. Now, what would you rather get: 2 movies; a movie and concessions, or a month-long game that has movie-quality storyline, you control the storyline, and you can watch it from the comfort of your own home. Now tell me, what's the big frecking deal about paying a monthly fee? It costs to run the servers and all. Also, it's cheaper than buying a new game every month, and this game never ends, in theory. I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you, tptmanno1.

VENOMfan
I dont have a problem with payment, in this you can fight other player's hence you may play a villianous role if you want, and the fights are supposed to be spectacular so i figure the game earns its keep. of course you cant fight like the one((hence there wouldnt be the "one" but the "Many"wink) but you can advance beyond the other character's weve seen in the film's....and wait for it.....THERE's AGENTS! woooooo!

SaTsuJiN
its based on the movie trilogy's ending... which means the matrix is still around *oo big surprise* . Right now it looks like beta garbage sick

Mist
when is it gonna get released? ive been waiting ages for a release date!
hey, if you guys get it, we should form a crew for a ship(can you get ships in it?)!

VENOMfan
i read somthing about ship's, and crew's are a major influence i dont know when it comes out but perhaps forming a crew here wouldnt be a bad idea. but Im still wavering on other mmorpg's Matrix, final fantasy 11 or city of hero's.

tptmanno1
well theres the problem of my monthly income of 0$ and the fact tha my perents probly wont buy the payment thingy.

SaTsuJiN
I believe they said sometime around fall 2004

JKozzy
I heard Summer 04.. and that all is going to be revealed at E3 in May big grin

gambit88
i only know what i read in my gamepro but it looks alright so far nothin to not like when they just announce it but ya never know ya know

VilleValo462
it wont matter for me .. cause my comp doesnt play games that well ...

Trinity_Matrix
I've heard that it'll be out summer 2004...I'm on the newsletter (because I want to beta it wink). This may be the one and only online game I'll actually pay to play...hell, the only online game I'll play period!

JKozzy
Ditto! When's the beta out??

Trinity_Matrix
Dunno, I haven't heard anything yet, and I just got the newsletter a few days ago...

SaTsuJiN
well thus far, the visuals are ok... they'd make a B grade in todays gaming world.. as far as the gameplay demonstration... total F. it looked like they didnt even know what they wanted to do yet lol

Punker69
I recently rented the The Matrix Revolutions and I saw a 7 minute preview and making of the game.In the game you get to go online and interact with other players all over the world.The fighting and kungfu and slowmo looks cool.And I cant wait to get it.I dont know when its coming out tho,but its coming out this year Happy Dance

justinday15
Will you have to pay a certain amount of money a month to play it?

The Unknown
There are already two other threads on this game.

The Force
we need a lords of the rings online war game big grin

SaTsuJiN
I found the bullet time in Matrix online to be stupid, simply because you slow EVERYone around you down, rather than having yourself look fast to the people witnessing the bullet time. I honestly expected some kind of gaming breakthrough in terms of communicating bullet time to other players. I know its difficult to mimic 2 different time speeds occuring at the same time, but there must be some way to make it happen...

Raventheonly
LOTR hmm.... thought there was one comming? I know battle for middle earth is a RTS....

TheOne101
who ever cant pay a meisly 15$ a month doesnt deserve to have video games and or that matter a fricken internet connection. you cheap bastards. the game is gonna kick serious ass they are exploring the mmorpg to the fullest.a city half the size of texas will be prtty fu**in awsome!

TheOne101
satsujin they arent that stupid man. they most likely make a perimeter so when u use it only things in the perimeter will slow down.

TheOne101
as some of you may all know The Matrix Online is becomming a very popular up-comming game. there is about one site out there dedicated to MxO (the Matrix Online). so a new friend of mine is making a whole new site dedicated to MxO. it is going to be a fantastic site. all we need are some willing video gamers and matrix fans to register for the forums there to sort of motivate us to make the site. so plz go register and post some stuff on anything. thanks

http://www.mxo.g-h.nl/forum/index.p...af1d3e887d4e68b

BackFire
I will bet money that it will bomb. There are far more promising MMOG coming out this year. It will just be a wannabe.

TheOne101
hahahha funny you should say that. many people have said that it is gonna be as you say but it has so many new features and abilities. i could give you a link to some good info if you are willing to look at it and consider it....

BackFire
Oh, I've checked it out. I've done my research and it really doesn't look all that great. However, if you don't mind, what new features and abilities are you referring to? Chances are they aren't new at all, probably just variations on already existing features in MMOG's.

TheOne101
not really new features but the way they did the skills system and the new effects. lots of things. more involved in fighting not shooting. all the martial arts. the new skill tree though inparticular. i just think it is a new and dynamic way of doing it. no lvl char just new skills and such. i mean compared to SWG which is the only other MMORPG i have played it is gonna be pheonaminal

BackFire
Hmm... The skill system sounds very similar to the new "City of Heroes" game that came out a few months ago. A system in which you don't gain levels, but skills that enhance your power, strength and so on.

Also, I wouldn't base too much merit on SWG, it was a poor game compared to some others.

As I said in another thread, Matrix Online could be very cool if it's done properly. But with so many other MMOG's coming out this year that will draw a bigger crowd (World of Warcraft, Everquest 2, Middle Earth Online) it will have some major competition.

ragesRemorse
the fighting system is new, textile combat percision has never been in games before. That and the hundreds of moves, with new moves constantly being added , interactive storylines that change weekly, with rewards and game outcomes depending on your playing choices which even end up being able to be an agent make me interested in the game. This all sounds astounding and i think it very well could be, but only if it gets instant success, if the game does not spark gamer wide interest it will die out in a few months. also the live action cut scenes, and actuall actor commentary is a nice touch

BackFire
It all sounds interesting, but just because a game has some new gimmicks means nothing. There's been plenty of games that tried to do something different, and failed miserably.

Plus, the past Matrix game wasn't very successful. The track record is definately against this game.

TheOne101
i agree backfire it will have compitition. i havent seen COH in action. i also love the way they did bullet time it is new and sounds good when you hear it. also i think it is good that the dev's are so involved but they might get in over their heads. i still have high hopes for the game

BackFire
Actually, bullet time isn't a new thing in video games. Max Payned used bullet time to perfection. Ironically, it was put to better use in that game then in ETM.

TheOne101
no i know that but to do it in an active real time server is awsome. i dont know how they came up with the way they did it.

ragesRemorse
yeah i know that it has the odds against it seeing how it is trying to introduce so much that has never been done before, but i wouldnt call them gimmecks. They are really working hard on it and high aspirations in video games is what gives us the greats. Especially seeing how it will be the largest real time enviorment that requires no loading that sounds like there trying hard, but again the main developer of the game did back out and the matrix online almost became a game that never was, but sega did sign on to fund it, and sega doesnt have an impressive resume in the new revolution of games

DirectorFitz
I know that somewhere in the process of making the game, Ubisoft sold the game to Sega. Now, how much did Sega change it?

BackFire
No one knows. You just have to wait untill it is released.

ragesRemorse
yeah were just going to have to play it.

SaTsuJiN
from what I understand, the only thing ubisoft and sega are doing is co-publishing it... not developing.. Monolith is the developers

cal31
and now WB owns monolith.

SaTsuJiN
Which is in turn owned by Vivendi/Universal

TrAnCeDuO
oh how the mighty have fallen sad

DirectorFitz
oh okay...whew.....i thought that they'd change something

SaTsuJiN
Nah.. publishers cant program.. they're all financial backing and advertising. I admit I took a slight interest the way the game currently looks.. it should look 200% better before release or they wont do a good job.. it still looks ps2 quality graphics :/

cal31
Yeah, but they can't really have doom 3 type graphics, other wise it would lag way too much. I mean, with thousands of players on a server at a time, it would be pretty hard to make it work.

SaTsuJiN
not even just that.. the game play looks so prehistoric.. using moves as trading cards and what not.. it looks like a beautified click fest

cal31
That's what KOTOR was, nobody complained about that, won game of the year almost everywhere.

SaTsuJiN
KoToR used complex 'behind the scenes' dice rolling made famous by thier neverwinter nights series. Thus the battles move more fluid as if it were cinematically choreographed. Matrix has ALOT of pressure on it to be the best and most revolutionary gaming title... I mean, it represents what technology is supposed to be like in the future, so it would be really sad for them to push out a ps2-level graphics/gameplay. Especially when pc is supposed to be the place where pioneers in gaming are forged.

KidRock
Once it is released we should all join the same server. Start a clan or a team. I am getting a job this fall so I can pay for it monthly smile.

Who else is going to get it?

I will probley play it until Middle Earth Online comes out.

cal31
Hell yeah, gettin Matrix Online, then Battle for Middle Earth. Finally a strategy game that isn't Age of Empires with different people.

DirectorFitz
Besides the park where Neo fought 100 Smiths (which I saw footage of in the MXO preview), will they have other sites in the city that were in the films? Like:

-The Subway where Neo and Smith fought for the first time.
-The Street where Neo and Smith fought for the last time.(Also was the corner where the phone booth was at the end of M1)
-The Building they blew up at the end of Reloaded
-Metacortex, Thomas Anderson's job before he was told the truth.
-The Freeway from Reloaded.

dave123
I would imagine they're gonna have a lot of references to all of the films....

SaTsuJiN
Massive Multi Online games are notorious for reproducing the points of interest from the properties they're based on.. so I wouldnt think matrix to be any different.. I just dont like the whole turn-based combat they have going.. (I personally hate turn based, but I deal with it). The scale of the city is just amazing though

cal31
yeah, the scale of the city is amazing. I think they said the city is somewhere around 10 sq. miles, and none of it is off limits.

forumcrew
yea the one cool thing is theres no background art everything is useball inside and outside

SaTsuJiN
Heres the precursor to that infamous lobby scene

http://thematrixonline.warnerbros.com/mxo_redesign/img/homepage/screenshot/FPScreen122404large.jpg

DirectorFitz
nice! That'll be fun to recreate that scene

Morridini
If the city is 10sq miles big wouldn't it be hard to find the places from the movies?

StinkFist462
you would think so .. maybe there is a map in game where it points out the main areas

SaTsuJiN
I think youll start off doing quests in unknown areas.. and then eventually you will have to play out key parts at these important locations (obviously different scenarios though)

DenKi
ITs gonna suck since to have to pay, so they wont have alot of people buying it.

Stupid really having to buy the game, then pay to play it..

Thael
They've apparently re-created the whole of Megacity.

SaTsuJiN
well I heard that most of megacity's building consists of the same repetative floorplans for almost every building, which doesnt surprise me at all. Ive also heard that most of the time spent developing it was to make the combat believable, so they really havent gotten around to develope the real point of the gameplay yet. They do have a few months to spruce things up, so I hope it goes well for them.

forumcrew
your right pay to play online games never work.. i mean i guess only like 2 oe 3 people play ever quest and star wars galaxies and world of war craft ..

although i do think the game should be free if u have to pay to play online and theres no offline mode or atleast discounted

Thael
Yeah, only 2 or 3, thats right.....no expression

dave123
laughing out loud

TheBalance
I just downloaded the trial version of the Matrix Online and i have an account and now need a buddies key... but i dont have a buddy who has a key! Catch 22 hey?

Well if anybody has a link some advise or a key that i can use for 30 days i'd like to hear from you!

Magee
Search limwire you should find a key gen.

Lana
In the future, search first. There were several MxO threads already.

Merged.

TheBalance
soz
also the amazing thing about MXO is the depth of story, the masses of people, the amazing megacity (ther isn't actually a MMOG that stands up to it in size and Graphics Balanced out)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.