Hardest game ever?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Always an interesting question this. However, I must be more specific- what is the hardest game you have played in the modern age? From 16 bit machines onwards.

Is epcify this because back in the early days of gaming (when most of you were very young, iuf alive at all), games were sometimes made ludicrously, even unplayably, difficult as it was the only thing that made them last. I mean, reviews used to rate games on the amount of SCREENS they had, y'know? 40 screens, 50 screens... the first classic game I ever played, Lords of Midnight (that my name and Avatar are from) blew that away to a shocked woprld by having 10000 and eventually the first true 3-d game, Driller, had over a million (rubbish game though), nbut that demonstates the longevity problesm some games had.

So, since those old days, what is the hardest game you ever played?

I prefer games that are hard with good reason, rather than hard just to make you annoyed. And the hardest game I ever plated was Grand Prix Legens on the PC from a few years back, a devastatingly accurate simulation of 1967 Grand Prix racing.

The game is fantastic. The car tinkering is spot ion, the feel of the game (as basically GP drivers (who did not pit stop in that era) carried enough fuels for eighty laps and were basically behind the wheel of moving bombs) is perfect, the AI is absolutely FANTASTIC- as the highly skilled, historically accurate AI drivers happily watch and learn your technique lap by lap before easily breezing by you at the right point- the sounds are brilliant, each race is automaticaly recorded from about 12 different angles (your view, chase view, suspension view, gear box view, piut cam, two different camera angles, and each of the car views done for EVERY car in the race), the multi-player netowrk coding uis the bst I have ever seen with no stuttering (I remember this comparing badly to Star Wars Racer, otherwise a fun game but in multi-play the game could not make up its mind where the other humans were and they juddered badly) and witb you able to take the point of view of any other pl;ayer in the game and just watch them for a while with 100% timing and no drop out or lag, and the game had longevity and playability and brains... you could download patches for additional cars and courses and even seasons

... in short I love it and I am tempted to go play it again now.

But **** ME was it hard! OMG, they did not pull any punches in that game! It takes days just to learn how to turn a corner at anything like a racing speed- you will not believe how hard these cars were to drive! No bloody wonder so many drivers died back then! My brother, the master of the game, practiced months and months and months before he even won a race. And that was a cut down 12 lap race. As for the proper races, lasting two hours or more, you haven;t got a flipping hope. As for trying to do a whole Grand Prix for the whole season with all the realism options on... (not to mention that the game will happily simulate reliability, so if you are in a Lotus you have a great performance car but there is a 50% chance it will blow up each race)... I mean, I never won a race EVER. I was lucky to get halfway up the field in qualifying, and was happy to even FINISH a race, let alone win one (as I watch my brother's Lotus speed off into the distance as I sturggle just to steer...)

Probably didn't help that my Brabham I drove, whilst very reliable, had a small problem of automatically taking you off the road if you so much as touched the steering wheel whilst braking. Very twitchy...

Anyway, it didn't matter, because the difficulty fitted so damn well. This was a game that could, and has, last you years because there is just so much to it and I doubt anyomne could ever actually master it 100%, though some people were damn good at it, to judge by the net community.

(the game was also worthwhile for keeping records of spectacular crashes, as my friend Christ often caused, on purpose, including some good attempts to break the physics engine. One amazing crash has important information not known about it as the cars do not contain an altimeter...)

So, that is the most difficult game I have ever played... what was yours? And was the difficulty worth it, did it feel like it was part of the game- or was it just bloody irritating?

Tex
Umm, I would have to say Perfect Dark on the most advanced mode.

JRatT12
Hard games!!! You no what was hard for me was the original Contra. That is one hard game. i was super young the last time i played it but i think it would still be hard if i was to play it today

Darth Revan
Project Gotham racing for X-box. It's too realistic for a racing game. Plus the computers are always way faster than you. I quit playing it after half an hour. In the way of racing games, my favorite is Mario Kart for the N64. Corny, easy, great for some good ol' fashioned mindless fun.

Obba
The hardest one was Donkey Kong 64. You had to get all this stupid equipment. That game was so popular for like a week. I thought to my self " Why in the **** would you wast your life beating this stupid game that takes forever?". I played it for a while, then I lost all the memory pack stuff. Hard as hell game, but mostly just a suptid, ****ed up game.

mah
I finished Donkey Kong 64 with relative ease.

Hardest; Battletoads? Maybe..

The Force
The Hardest is most definitely pong... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Obba
laughing pong yeah that's probably true.

vvvrulz
Zelda Two (on snes i think) is one damn hard game. To completely clock Goldeneye on 007, cheats and all, is pretty tough too. I can never nail facility in two mins.

wicker_man
Hunter : The Reckoning ~ Endless Zombie Hordes, Big Bosses with long reaching damaging factors, the only way you can really progress in this game is 4 player.

whitedragon
i think the hardest game ever made was alex the kid for the master system. god! with a crapy little square pad. that sucked! bunny

berrill
I think pong was really hard!!!!
I mean dont you think??
havnt to move that pad up and down up and down!
i just never was fast enough!
if ne1s got ne tips to highten my advantage plz tell me!!!!

The Force
are you serious? roll eyes (sarcastic) that's really sad...

alic88
james bond games and the terminator DAWN OF FATE game

total metalhead
some of the campaigns on Age of Empires II are almost impossible

Ushgarak
No- they just needed presistence. Once I put time into them I got them done.

DyceIBG
Mario 64. Where the F--- is the last star. I only found 119. I gave up. I don't even know anyone who has found all 120. And beat the last boss on the hardest difficulty on panzer dragoon orta.

SaTsuJiN
I found all 120 hehe. Its all about the 8 red coins , 100 gold coins etc. Besides they even have a menu that tells you where you got all your stars from hehe. (You can even get more stars on the special hat stages, via the 8 red coin deal). 8 red coins / 100 coins on the bowser stages hehehe. Guess you just gotta dig.

The hardest game ever of 16 bit era and forward... hmm
Myst was damn hard in my opinion. Also, when I was like 11 years old, super metroid hehe

Obba
Myst, was so ****en confusing. I couldn't believe I am still playing and I got it like 4 years ago. I have so far made no progression in Myst after 4 years :LOL:

Obba
laughing out loud

SilverFighter
Dead to Rights was just such a hard game to beat. Great shooter but some of the chapters were just too damn Hard!

hotsauce6548
Oni only cuz i couldnt move

Ushgarak
Myst fell into place quite fast once you grapsed the concept.

As for Mario 64... which star are you missing? I assume it cannot be one from the levels or you would know where to look. What caslte starts have you got?

Getting start 120 for me- 100 coins on Rainbow Ride- was one of the hairiest game playing experiences in my life. I had been trying for frigging AGES to get that damn star. GOD it was annoying, and I got so angry! And I so nearly killed myself getting coin 100, falling off the Magic Carpet and just haing on but then the start was too damn high and a f***** up the jump to get to it and JUST grabbed the window by on the building,... oh my, if I had died after actually having made the damn star appreat I would have smashed the N64 and killed everyone in the hiuse... as it is I made the jump a second time by one pixel and got the star. That must have been so bad for my health, all that...

yerssot
hmmm, actually, from all the games talked about here, I only own GP Legends (a friend has mario 64 played it once, not a long time though)
game was hard... even by my F1-standards (see quote from James Bond: "He's good, even by my standards"wink.
I can say I have a fair bit of experience in racing (I play racing games the most and almost always, from rally to F1 (lots of F1 actually)), took me an hour or so to get a decent turn with that crap, but managed to put up a fight within a week and got a win after two, after that it was a trip down easy-win-lane

think that was about the hardest one I ever played ... or I just forgot about another one cause it was such a pain big grin

BackFire
Goldeneye was hard, not beating it, but unlocking all the cheats and stuff was extremely challenging.

Voorhees
the orignal prince of persia

yerssot
it had one hard nut to crack in it, but that was about it I think messed

The One Himself
Resident Evil 3, Prince of Persia (Original)

Daedalus
Goldeneye (unlocking cheats), Ghost Recon (unlocking all the weapons/characters) and Rainbow Six 3 on Elite mode.

Arachnoidfreak
Genma Onimusha pissed me off after a while. I never could get Mystic, didnt even try Riven...Sunset Riders was hard...maybe not that hard, but it still took me a while. Earthworm Jim took forever. and Mario games take forever. they arent hard, but goddamn there are alot of levels.

Daedalus
The original Ninja Gaiden, and the remake on X-Box, on Very Hard.

LordRevan
Halo on legenary and Dead to Rights but golden eye was a very simple game to me i have all the codes that i unlocked.

Lord Ryugen
The original Pitfall game. It's the only game I know that's made grown men cry.

Linkalicious
I got all the codes on Golden Eye. That took me damn near forever.

Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link
Battletoads
Lord of the Rings (on SNES)
Spiderman: Maximum Carnage
Sunset Riders (on SNES because you only got 3 lives)
Contra 3
All 3 Ninja Gaidens

Those were pretty much the games I put a lot of time into and still couldn't complete. Except Ninja Gaiden part 1...i beat that.

Primitive Screwhead #1
Megaman: Network Transmission is probably the most difficult game that made we want to stop playing.

Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun are two of the hardest games that actually kept pushing me to try and get better.

LemonBrown
Back to the future 3 for Sega Genesis.
That was hard as shit it made me cry

laughing laughing no no

Trinity_Matrix
Mario 64 is damn hard to get all the stars...I still haven't done it and I've had that game for...oh, five years? messed

Battletoads was hard, I remember playing that when I was about 7 and not being able to really get anywhere on it.

And this other game, no idea if anyone here's ever heard of it (my sister got it), Chameleon Twist 2 for N64...I HATE THAT GAME. The first few levels are pretty easy, but then it suddenly gets really hard. Or at least I thought...

I don't know, really...I've never really found too many games that I've played to be too incredibly hard...and that's even with my suicidal way of playing games like Zelda big grin

Darth Jello
Nightmarish games:
Actraiser 2
Super Mario Bros. 2/The Lost Levels/ For Super Players
Marvel's X-men (nes)
Captain America and the Avengers (NES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
Castlevania Chronicles
Megaman and Bass (Wonderswan)
The Best of Megaman
Rocket Knight Adventures
Sparkster
Sparkster:Rocket Knight Adventures 2
Ghosts 'n' goblins
ghouls 'n' ghosts

Darth Revan
I thought some of those campaigns were damn hard... confused

Tptmanno1
For Me Myst, I havent gotten past the treetop level and I've had that game for ages. Given up on it a long time ago though.
If you've ever played Civ 2 That game is challenging because you are trying to balance and manage everything its awesome. You could make a game out of building the cities alone!

Zebra 3
I found it annoying at times with the dreaded speed tapping which I came close on quitting in the upside down drowning scene, but managed to finish.

The toughest star by far I ever got was the one located on the haunted house's rooftop.

As for 16 bit games, Road Rash II's Alaska - level 5 was just crazy and on a 8 bit game, one fight in which I never came close, NES' Mike Tyson Punch Out fighting Tyson, argh!

Flying Orange
From what I've heard, quite a few levels in Jak II were quite difficult.

plenTpak52
Oh my God. Myst? I remember watching my mom play that shit all the time, and i wanted to kill myself because it was so confusing.

Flying Orange
I never beat Myst.... oy vey. Need to try that game again from the start sometime wacko

LordRevan
i never played myst or jak II. how are they?

Flying Orange
Quite excellent games, you really need to try thembig grin

Although I need to try Jak II too stick out tongue

ABE LINCOLN
yea, you do

Jak 2 is hellish in some spots...though, seen as how I'm going through for the third time right now, it's a bit easier.

Racing missions are a pain in the ass, and the ones where you walk as a giant mech are annoying...but hard!! stick out tongue s'a good game though

Fire
dunno hardest game I ever played was prolly something with a lot of jumping involved

LordRevan
i thank one of the difficult games was the old froggy.

Darth Revan
That game was awesome... The difficulty is the reason it's fun, IMO

Cyclops
Okay... this was only mentioned once, and that is a shame. It is the "IMPOSSIBLE" game.

MAXIMUM CARNAGE!

You cannot beat that game. It is not possible! A friend of mine, who we call M4 (dont ask), is the honest to god king of gaming, cannot even beat it. This kid is friggin' fantastic at Vid's.

...oh, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for NES. That stupid underwater level with the bombs you have to diffuse... mad

Arachnoidfreak
I couldn't beat Spiderman for my Game Gear... sad

VENOMfanFAN
Oh, yeah. And Spider-Man and the Sinister 6 for the NES was a tough one as well.

What is the deal with rediculously difficult Spiderman games? The newer ones are easy (PS1, PS2, XboX)...

Linkalicious
i beat that TMNT game. It took me FOREVER to beat. I loved going around in the turtle mobile.

and i agree with you on Maximum Carnage. I got my xbox moded and tried playing that game recently and I still got worked. Jump kicking helps....but not THAT much.

VENOMfanFAN
I once made it to the second time you can choose either Venom or Spider-Man... but I died right after

just testing...
no game's a challenge to me sleep

Lord_Andres
The hardest game, hmmm I really don't know but Warcraft I,and Dune2 were bouth pretty challanging, but the hardest thing I've tried in a game has to be too break the green or was it blue?(don't remember), diamond in Mortal Kombat 1 man that was tough

VENOMfanFAN
Aren't we the modest one. laughing

SmoltzMRH6
Mission Imposable for N64 has to be one I mean after like 6 months I beat like 4 missions and not many after.

Corlindel
Zorg - The first one was incredible hard to me.
Eye of the Beholder III - It took some months to finish too. I was cracked in a stupid trap.

Nowadays games are easier.

'Vegeta'
Whats the hardest game you have ever played?

Montross
Super Mario Bros......
Damn you Luigi!

TheOne101
i havent played it but i have watched my brother play it and he is a god when it comes to games. ninja gaiden. i saw that it starts out easy and smooth but as you go on it gets realy really hard. and pisses you off quickly. hard enough to put a hole in the wall. as for me i try to stay away from "hard" games. but if i had to choose i would say socom 2. not for the campaign but for the online. some of the dudes there are extremely good at that game

shangheid
i dont there there ever was a hard game for me ><!

TheOne101
lol yea cuz your so good right lol

MasterWizard
I found the Thief games rather difficult.

Primitive Screwhead #1
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f66/t19885.html

And it still hasn't even moved to page 2 yet...

shagmobile
i'd have to say games arent hard just some can get really dumb or are just stupid from the get go like superman 64

Zebra 3
I forgot about those two tough games. I managed to defeat the big boss in the 16 bit game Maximum Carnage then the credits rolled and he then reappeared and proceeded to kill me off!? As for TMNT for the NES, I found this one a little easier with some tough challenges along the way like the dreaded jumps in the sewers.

Zebra 3
The level which follows the credits where I got killed off is called Ruined Boys Home.

Painkiller
painkiller is the hardest game and the best

MudvanneJessy
Moriwin(Xbox) and Vice City (PS2)

'Vegeta'
The Hardest game i have played is halo not for the game it self being hard but trying to stay awake during every cut scene and The maw gay. Halo the level is also real gay.

Master Revan
man Vageta you must be really Love gay people. because you really say it alot.

'Vegeta'
so your saying if i say is alot i love is just because i say it alot? ok that made sence. Duh That is just how i discribe things i dont like you got a problem with that? I think i should be able to talk how i want. This thread is about the hardest game i posted and said why i thought that so w/e!

Primitive Screwhead #1
"...what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

'Vegeta'
ok i have that move (Billy Madison not funny at all!)

Gory Game Lover
All games are easy,but Red 3 was the hardest.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.