what is the worst starwars movie of all time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

el_barto
i say episode 1 because anikan was anoying and so was jar-jar binks but it also had the best bad guy

finti
TPM, Jar JAr and Jack Lloyd , do I need to say more

madsci
unfortunately, it seems that lucas can't help creating a/some character/s that are completely annoying. it started with those damn ewoks...then jar jar (compared to ewoks, i can somewhat tolerate in small doses, ie:AOTC)...and his choice for anakin (jake lloyd). Honestly, I'm still not really keen on hayden christensen as anakin, i think they still could have done better.

there were many elements of phantom menace that i did not like, as there were many elements of jedi that i did not like. thank the maker for the fast forward button.

i know this may be off topic and probably belongs in another forum, but empire strikes back is the best of all - best storyline, best characters, best fight sequence. Lucas was on the ball on that one.

madsci
hip hop purist

VengeanceGOD
Phantom Menace was the worst, but it was ALL due to Jake Lloyd. Jar Jar wasn't THAT annoying, actually he was fairly amusing in a couple scenes. As for the Ewoks, the Ewoks were a good story, and it's stupid to hate them. So shaddup.

Dirty Vader
AOTC. That long love story, the film is entirely made of computer graphics and the stupid elements that could contradict EU things that I thought were realy good.
Ewoks were cool and Jar Jar was fun at first but it is true that he is not suitable for a star wars movie.

wicker_man
I can't really pass proper judgement as the series has not concluded just yet, but so far i believe the more recent installements are pretty weak entries into an otherwise masterpiece of a series, although the gorgeous Natalie Portman was in it.

Maul
wel, tpm was the only 1 without crappy loveydovey stuff in, but still anakin was annoying, and ja jar was kinda too. aotc had the best fights in, no questions asked.

Hell's Angel
I don't understand why everyone is going off on Jake Loyde. He wasn't that bad. Sure he didn't deserve an Oscar or anything, but to say he was horrible is just being overly dramatic. He was like 9 at the time and not very experienced in the acting industry. Not all of us give class "A" performances when we first start out. If you look back at some of the older movies that actors have done, you will find that they couldn't act then. It takes time to become great.

Also, I don't see why TPM was so bad. In fact, it was that movie that turned me into a Star Wars fan. I had never seen a SW movie before, and if I hadn't seen it then I wouldn't be the fan I am today. I will admit, however, that after watching the original theory I discovered that the TPM was no where in league with the classics.

And don't get me started on AOTC. Sure the acting was bad and sure the dialogue was even worse, but damn it, I liked the movie. It needs some improvements, okay. Well actually it needs a lot but it wasn't "oh my god, I think I'm going to puke" bad. It was a descent movie.

All I have to say is that GL should have done a better job at directing and he should have done a better job at writing. And if you are going to direct, direct !!! Don't be afraid to tell the actors that they are totally screwing up the scene. Directors are suppose to motivate the actors to do their best job and if the director can't do that, then the whole production suffers.

I blame GL, thats all I have to say. Oh, and I hate Jar Jar. mad What the hell was GL thinking? Jar Jar is the one character I cannot stand. And to bring him back in AOTC? That was a big mistake. If I was a Jedi , I would shove that green lightsaber up his....

Anyways, back to answering the question, I like AOTC a lot more than TPM, but to say that TPM is the worst film is wrong. It had the best fight scene than any of the other movies and the performance Natalie Portman gave was more convincing.

Sorry for rambling on, but for some reason I get so passionate when it comes to things like this.

If you want to know the order in which I liked the films best then here it is:

AOTC (I know I was bashing the acting and the dialogue but something about this movie really got to me. I still blame GL for bad direction.), ROTJ, ESB, TPM, and finally ANH

ANH is not all its cracked up to be.

yerssot
definitly ROTJ!
TPM is more of ...episode 0, somesort of RPG adventure more then a movie

Darth Jello
my least favorite is ANH because in its current state, it doesn't fit that well with the other five movies, too many little things about it bother me. I can't say anything bad about episode 2's love story because my last (and hopefully future) romance evolved a lot like that. people said it wasn't realistic but that just proves that manypeople can't imagine a sitiuation until they've been in it.

Hell's Angel
I like your thinking, Darth Jello.

Dirty Vader
Hell's Angel_ I have to admit, you did great to defend your point, well done.

At first, for me, the TPM was disapointing and crap, but then when I saw AOTC, I got to like TPM. Not as much as the OT movies of course, but quite a lot.

Liam Neeson was great, so was Ewan Mcgreggor (compared to AOTC),
Natalie Portman acted well and the lightsabre battle with maul was great and much better than AOTC, ANH, ESB and ROTJ as far as skilles and moves are concerned.

By the way, when I mean crap, I mean " crap for a star wars movie".
There still good films. ROTJ is still my firm favourite though.

Gotwa
I didn't like Episode 1.. Was boring for me. Seeing Anakin as a kid was just kinda.. stupid.. -.-.. however.. ROTJ.. EP VI, was kinda stupid too.. one moment.. POOF.. the next no more death star. XD

Rogue Jedi
they are all good....that is my opinion.

Darth Jello
let's use an LOTR reference. TPM is to star wars as The Hobbit is to LOTR, a kid's story to start of an epic. furthermore, if in the archival edition, lucas adds all of bail organa's scenes with jimmy smitts and restores most of the deleted scenes, the movie will mature and become more well liked

Lyn
I agree with many things HA said. As many of you will know...AOTC is my FAVOURITE SW film but that's not to say I hate the others...all of the films ROCK!! happy

VengeanceGOD
Yes...and no. See, there are child actors out there that can give talented, realistic performances. Look at Haley Joel Osment, for the example everyone uses. wink

I didn't hate TPM as much as everyone else. In fact, I defended it quite strongly for a while. However, since I was such a huge Star Wars geek before the movie, it was a bit of a let down. On the other hand, at that point, anything could have been a let down.

Thank you for saying this: It's what I've been saying all along.

God dammit, I LIKED Jar Jar. Sure, he was hard to understand, but he wasn't annoying. In one scene, he was even vaguely amusing. Of course, after he realized everyone hated him, George tried his damndest to make it look like there was a reason for his existence. "oh crap, they hate him...um...uh...HE'S RESPONSIBLE FOR THE EMPIRE! Phew."

ANH is as bad as TPM. The acting and writing are bad, I'm sorry. But as the first movie, it's been raised onto a huge pedestal where it is unknockable by any geek.

Darth Jello
that's why i'm not a geek

VengeanceGOD
Your name is Darth Jello. Nuff Said. wink

Mr Parker
as I said on another thread,I dont feel there has been a good star wars film made since Empire,that they all sucked after that.I agree with yerssot on this,I hate JEDI the most of them all.

Darth Jello
ok, jello, as in Mr. Jello Biafra. What's geeky about the Dead Kennedys?

Gotwa
Bwahaha. Good job. wink

VengeanceGOD
It's the "Darth" that labels you a geek. And the fact that you debate Star Wars on an internet message board.

It's not a BAD thing.

mephistodesigns
yeah, cuz that means your a geek too. I know I'm a geek so I won't even begin to defend myself. i just spent my lunch break scoring Han Solo Unleashed and Jedi academy for my XBox, so yeah...I'm willing to bet we're all pretty damn geeky. big grin

Darth Jello
yes but star wars is only a small part of my life

VengeanceGOD
You are a geek. Search your feelings, you know it to be true. wink

(And Mephisto, damn straight I'm a geek!)

Darth Bandon
If Jar Jars part in TPM had been smaller like in AOTC TPM would have been better.

edit: Loving SW and admitting it makes you a geek. Loving SW and not admitting it makes you a dork.

Darth Jello
a geek is a freak show performer who eats anything, a dork is a whale nut

VengeanceGOD
No, a dork is a whale PENIS.

Darth Jello
its all a member, who cares?

movie_freak
Worst SW movie = Ep1

Darth Jello
watch all the star wars movies back to back, you'll find that ANH sticks out like a sore thumb, until the rumored archival edition, I think it's the worst.

mephistodesigns
visually yes. but that's not the whole reason to judge a movie. there's writing, acting, directing, cinematogrophy....

Darth Jello
ditto

Lyn
Hey people, I'm a geek too!! happy

Dirty Vader
We're all geeks but at least we're not dorks like all those hard-core trekkies.

mephistodesigns
damn straight. f#$%ing trekkies. Here's a major difference I see in SW to trek fans, SW fans are kinda geeky, but they're just into it to have fun. they like the philosophy and all, but we don't take it THAT seriously. Where as trekkies will were uniforms everyday, and think they're so smart cuz they watch Star Trek, like it takes a Mensa IQ to get that crap anyway.

SW will rule supreme forever!!! Happy Dance beer sick doctor wacko

Darth Jello
i get star trek, I like it, i just don't own any costumes or dupe myself into believing that everything star trek is pure gold. the 60's series was still the best, the low tech charm was great. so Its ok to like star trek, just not ok to live star trek

Darth Bandon
I like SW & ST. I guess that makes me an uber-geek.

mephistodesigns
well put Jello.
And yes Bandon it does.

Does anyone else find this thread's title funny? Of all time? like they've been around that long...

VengeanceGOD
haha. They just SEEM like they have.

Coming back to an earlier point, I'm willing to bet a lot of money that you guys wouldn't have found Jar Jar anywhere near as annoying if someone with talent had played Anakin.

I also don't see much point to having that story. I mean, if we had to have Anakin at 8, couldn't it have been the first couple of minutes of the movie, and then just jump ahead ten years?

Darth Jello
consider that if the prequals came out earlier, maculley Culkin would be playing anakin. Think about that... let it gnaw at your soul.

Darth Jello
oh, and I just watched dogma for the billionth time and...what if Afflek played anakin in ep 2?

Lyn
*shudders*

VengeanceGOD
Affleck as Anakin? I can see why you'd say that after watching Dogma, but he's a) too old and b) not good enough.

Orlando
I'm going to use "least favorite" instead of "the worst", just because I don't think any of the movies are deserving of being referred to as "the worst". I'd have to say, based on how frequently I watch each of them these days, it would be Return of the Jedi. When you watch the movies (I decided on this before TPM was released) try to think of them as two different sets of movies, even though they are a group of six. I don't like to make comparisons between the two groups because they really are quite a bit different. As far as GL's directing and writing goes, I think he's doing a damn good job with the prequels. I've enjoyed TPM and AOTC and don't have any real complaints about either of them. Sure they aren't the "originals", but hell, George is quite a bit older than he was back then. People change as they get older. I can just imagine, if I had written something like a screenplay twenty years or so ago, how different it would be to what I'd write now. I've changed alot in the past twenty years and I'm sure GL has too...

Dirty Vader
That's not our problem, if you dont like the films you dont like them. Why are so loyal to george lucas, is it a life debt? Why make up excuses that the films arent the originals because lucas grew older. What the hell has that got to do with the fact that the prequels are disapointing. If Lucas has a personnal problem about getting older, its not our problem. Why make up excuses for him? Just admit he messed up, dont make up stories.

Orlando
Well, you see, I do like the films. If I didn't I certianly wouldn't spend my time on message boards griping about them...

Fallen Jedi
I agree with Lyn on this. Ben Affleck would make a horrible Anakin. He looks more like a Han Solo to me. Anyway, I don't know where I read this but on some other topic on the message boards, someone commented that Paul Walker should have been Anakin. I can totally see him playing the role.

Also, I think GL is loosing his touch. I still appreciate the prequels but they lacks something...like better directing and better dialogue, especially in AOTC. Actually, now that I think about it, none of the acting in any of the films are really all that good. Watch ROTJ and you will find that all the characters did a really bang up job. I still love the movies, though the acting isn't exactly top notch. They're good for the story and plot lines, though the love story in AOTC could have been better developed. It should have been more subtle and gradual. It seemed to happen too fast. There was definitely chemistry but GL did a bad job of interpreting it.

VengeanceGOD
Again, I say, the problem is the fact that GL is trying to direct when he hasn't in years, and wasn't very good at it in the first place. The two best movies in the OT, Empire and Jedi, were directed by someone else. His writing is fine, but the movies would be a lot better if he gave the directing reigns to someone else.

Darth Jello
ok, then how about Nick Meyer directing?

VengeanceGOD
I have no idea who he is.

Fallen Jedi
Me neither. What has he directed?

mephistodesigns
paul walker as anakin? i'd take leo over that waste of oxygen that could be put to better use filling balloons.

and definetly vengence. I will normally defend lucas quite a bit because lets face, no body can touch him on creativity in film. The guys an innovator with amazing ideas. Which is why his scripts are good. But he should totally hand over the reins to someone else for directing. i still can't believe the same guy directed Empire and Robocop 2. what the hell happened to him? did he just give up?

finti
you have to look at the material he had to work with cause Robocop 2 was, how can we put this gently a pisspoor flick with a weak ass plot

mephistodesigns
true, i guess it was good visually

Darth Jello
nick meyer is the director of all the good star trek movies, 2, 3, and 6. he is really good for dark, political, action, scifi type movies

finti
good Star trek movies????????

Darth Jello
oh open your mind, those were truely good

VengeanceGOD
Oxi-Moron?

And yeah, Robocop 2 was crap. Lucas really hasn't directed anything well since ANH. His other two great creations, Indiana Jones and Land Before Time, were taken out of his hands once the story was done. Everything he directed though...well...Howard the Duck anyone?

finti
I dont find any Star Trek movies good, way to dull

cookies2006
i like em all. all of them have theyre weak and strong points.

Julie
I liked all the sw movies...but TPM was the "weakest link"

Fallen Jedi
What's wrong with Paul Walker? I thought he did a good job in both The Fast and the Furios movies.

And Leo as Anakin? I'm sorry, but no. Leo looks way too boyish. *cringes* Besides, Hayden rules! Though I don't think he acted that well in AOTC, he did a really good job in Life as a House. Hopefully his performance will improve in Episode III since he pulled the bad-boy thing in AOTC and Life as a House rather nicely.

Whoever first suggested Leo as Anakin must have been on something.
I hope I'm not affending anyone, but I cannot stand Leo. Ewww! *shudders, begins to gag, runs to the bathroom, and starts to vomit*
sick

Darth Jello
jeromy london, snoogins

mephistodesigns
if you think anything about the Fast and the Furious was good, then thats the first problem in this debate. I know Leo would suck. That's my point, Paul Walker would be even worse because, given the right material, Leo is ok. Walker is always crappy. So he would even worse. I used to think there could be no worse a choice than Leo, but then you went and brought up Paul Walker. You topped Leo. Good job!

VengeanceGOD
Leo IS a good actor. The problem is, he got the lead role in Titanic and got settled with the "brain-dead hearthrob" image. However, even though he is good, he couldn't have done Anakin.

mephistodesigns
no of course not. they couldn't bulk him up even if they tried. he's just not right for it is all. he's not intimidating. at all.

Darth Jello
damon?

mephistodesigns
who's damon?

VengeanceGOD
Matt Damon. And again, I say no.

Darth Jello
ok, let me explain my reasoning through analogies thanks to the wonderful View Askweniverse. Think of Episode 2 anakin as Afflek from chasing amy, and Episode 3 anakin as afflek towards the end of dogma

mephistodesigns
good call.

Fallen Jedi
I've haven't seen any those movies so I can't debate over that. What I will say is that I agree that Leo is a good actor. I never said he wasn't. There's just something about him that really disgusts me. I don't know what or why; he just does. And as far as Paul Walker being Anakin, it was only a suggestion. I think he's a a decent actor, but nothing special. I can still see him as Anakin. There's something about his eyes.

mephistodesigns
yeah, its called lack of brain cells.

Lyn
I know I'm beginning to sound repetitive ((which I probably always do)) but I personally found Hayden Christensen the perfect Anakin. He may not be the perfect actor but I think these debates are testament to the fact that no matter what actor GL chose for the role, people would complain. Someone suggests Paul Walker, that gets slammed, then Leo is put forward and again, his suitability for the role is denied.
I believe Hayden did a fantastic job and that his portrayal of Anakin will improve and impress others in Ep III.

Darth Jello
i think he did a good job too, I'm just saying that the only person who could fill his shoes in that role is affleck

mephistodesigns
heeeellllllll no. jeez. i'm so glad fans aren't casting these things. i'm still with Lyn, when I first saw Anakin and how he acted and stood, fought, glared, spoke, his attitude, everything is exactly as I always pictured. i've done tons of sketches for myself and friends of what I thought a young Darth Vader/Anakin might look like, and they all look a lot like Hayden. I think he's exceptional at it, I think we'll really see how perfect he is in 3. I haven't seen anybody in his age category be so good at complex conflicted characters.

Fallen Jedi
I've been back and forth on this topic. I've both bashed and praised Hayden for his performance. First I thought he was a decent Anakin. Then I watched the movie a second time and thought that his acting was poor. When I bought the movie that's when I really started to analyze his performance. I trashed his acting and even had discussions with my friends about who should have played Anakin instead. But it wasn't until after I started chatting with people online did I realized the real problem. I mean, I knew Hayden was a talented actor (watch Life As A House and you'll see what I mean) but I couldn't figure out what went wrong in AOTC. After reading and responding to people's opinions on the internet I discovered that Hayden's poor performance was due to the bad dialogue. The dialogue between Anakin and Padme was so poorly written that it greaty effected the actors. Seriously, who even talks or says such things? I know SW is in a different galaxy and that Anakin and Padme had never been experienced love before, but those are just lame excuses. I'm sorry, but GL should have done some serious editing and rewriting.

Anyways, I retract all the horrible comments I made about Hayden being a bad Anakin. Hayden IS talented and he CAN act. He should be praised instead of criticized for all the crappy dialgue he had to endure. I don't think anyone else could have gone a better job, considering with what he had to work with; that goes for Natalie too. I'm tired of people bashing her. She is NOT overrated and she is NOT over-hyped. Watch her other movies for crying out loud!

Oh, and as far as the whole Paul Walker and Leo thing goes, neither of them could have pulled off the role of Anakin. I realize that now. I still think that Paul Walker is a decent actor and that Leo is talented (I watched Titanic the other day and realized he should have been nominted for an oscar for his role) but there can only be ONE Anakin Skywalker and that is HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN!!!

Lyn
I agree with mephisto...he "suits" as Anakin in every aspect of the role.

FJ...I think I experienced something similar to you. I was so truly moved by Hayden's performance in EpII...it shook me. After I watched the film a few more times, I picked up on the odd lines. I've said this many, many times; Hayden & Natalie were WONDERFUL...their chemistry was AMAZING...they just had to deliver average, crappy lines.

"Anyways, I retract all the horrible comments I made about Hayden being a bad Anakin. Hayden IS talented and he CAN act. He should be praised instead of criticized for all the crappy dialgue he had to endure. I don't think anyone else could have gone a better job, considering with what he had to work with; that goes for Natalie too. I'm tired of people bashing her. She is NOT overrated and she is NOT over-hyped. Watch her other movies for crying out loud!" COULD NOT AGREE MORE!! GO FJ!! WOOHOO!! Happy Dance

I thought Leo was AMAZING in Titanic...I LOVE that film!! And Paul Walker, who I've only seen in Fast & Furious did impress me. He wasn't an Anakin, no way...but he did have something about him. I do know what you mean about his eyes FJ.

"but there can only be ONE Anakin Skywalker and that is HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN!!!" 100% BEHIND YOU THERE FJ!! Happy Dance

Fallen Jedi
Thanks for the support. big grin It looks like we agree on a lot of things.

super shadow GL
th worst one of all was indeed episode 1 because of the battle droids and anakin

Darth Jello
there is no worst, that term is reserved for those ewok movies. let's go back to SAT time and say that Phantom Menace is to Star wars as The Hobbit is to Lord of the Rings

Darth Revan
Definitely Phantom Menace, it was pretty pathetic. The only reason AOTC placed above it was because it at least had some good action, which PM barely had.

Darth Revan
Oh and on the subject of who is a good person to play Anakin, Hayden has exactly the right look.. I can't think of an actor who looks better. However, his acting was a little... bland, to say the least. Maybe this sounds stupid, but I think Keanu Reeves would do fairly well in that role. He's a great actor, and he does a good job portraying various emotions--anger, fear, love, denial, etc. He doesn't look quite right, but as far as the acting part goes, I think he'd do great. And as for Leo... Can't stand the guy. Catch Me if You Can was a fabulous movie, and he's an exellent actor, but he's creepy somehow..

Lyn
FJ: You're welcome...happy

DR: Keanu Reeves is a good actor. You're right about him not looking the part, but acting wise, he'd be alright.

Fallen Jedi
I know what you mean. There's just something about him. He's a great actor and I like some of the movies he's done, but he has this odd vibe.

I can't really see Keanu Reeves as Anakin, but he is a pretty good actor.

super shadow GL
ok i think episode 1 should of been a prelude to episode 2 cuz they could of made episode 2 episode 1.what i mean is the saga could of started whit episode 2

Fallen Jedi
Good point. TPM is more of a backstory. The real story doesn't begin unitl AOTC.

super shadow GL
guess you could call it a backstory...yeah backstory.episode 1 is infact episode 2.
God Dam george lucas

Lyn
I know I enjoyed AOTC more...TPM was still good though.

Fallen Jedi
Yeah, I liked TPM too. By any means, I don't think its the best Star Wars film, but I don't understand why everyone is bashing it. I mean, it had the greatest fight scene in SW movie history. And I know people don't like Jake Lloyd, but I thought he was adorable. He's not the best young actor around but he did pretty good. And Liam Neeson...I thought he was good too. (Oh, and I was impressed with how Ewan McGregger's acting improved from TPM to AOTC. He really did just slip right into the role of a Jedi Mentor. )

Overall, I thought TPM was a decent movie. I mean, how else could it have turned out? I can't picture it any other way. I liked the way GL established Anakin and Padme's relationship with them meeting as children and then reuniting years later.

Dejio
It's funny that people would want to talk about the WORST Star Wars movie instead of the BEST Star Wars movie. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lyn
EXACTLY!!

DarkCrawler
Well, GL didnt direct ROTJ, so I think that it was bad compared to others. Director was some guy named Richard Marquand. But GL writed it so...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.